Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, Nottingham , June 14 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Pars

Re: Elvis, solo, Nottingham , June 14 2015

Post by Pars »

I will be there.Never miss a home town gig.4 of us in row C.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (121.58 KiB) Viewed 18179 times
johnanderson

Post by johnanderson »

I'll be there, row A.

Lots of seats left.
Pars

Post by Pars »

Sadly, I reckon there will be lots of empty seats on Sunday night.I've been to every EC gig at the Concert Hall since he played there with John Harle in 1996 and it's never a sell out,even when he's got a record to plug.Tier 3 is always completely empty.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I thought I was the only EC fan there in 1996 with the John Harle gig ! It was apparent a load of jazz fans didn't approve and they walked out at the interval . I'll be there tomorrow with lapels !
Pars

Post by Pars »

I don't think it was a Jazz crowd.Stuffy classical music types perhaps.I recall EC walking onto the stage at some point during the concert and no one applauded.Classical music etiquette methinks.He did a cracking version of "Shipbuiding" though.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

No support from Larkin Poe tonight due to illness
According to the signs stuck to the myriad of posters . A kind floor manager has promised me one and I'll scour the floor for spare tickets at the end too !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

10847941_10152942973948457_418304893152529046_n.jpg
10847941_10152942973948457_418304893152529046_n.jpg (76.22 KiB) Viewed 18033 times
Via f/book
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Richard posts to f/book -

Aaagh; the voice has been "affected by the Carlisle air". Needed water and gum throughout tonight. A shade less than 2 hours. Raleigh Bike ads, Robin Hood, Brian Clough and ... Zippy(!?) on the TV. I'll do a set list tomorrow if nobody else does. Night.
Pars

Post by Pars »

Well,what can I say? Magnificent gig.Highlight for me was "Home Truth".Pretty sure it's the first time EC has played it on this tour.Good audience response despite the reluctance of many to get off their backsides for Peace,Love and Understanding.Can't wait for Leicester week tomorrow.
Attachments
image.jpg
image.jpg (192.15 KiB) Viewed 17955 times
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.nottinghampost.com/Elvis-Cos ... story.html

Elvis Costello at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall
June 15, 2015

By Sean Hewitt

IT was a rough-around-the-edges night, but frequently a stunner. The unpredictability started when the support act - Atlanta roots band Larkin Poe - pulled out through illness.

So Costello came on early, in front of a huge fake telly on which song lyrics, bits of his and his family's pasts and a series of daft Nottingham references - old Raleigh adverts, Douglas Fairbanks as Robin Hood, Cloughie - were projected.

I've seen Costello with both The Attractions and The Imposters, on two-hander tours with loyal keyboard sidekick Steve Nieve and even in an odd classical-jazz hybrid with John Harle and Andy Sheppard. The last time he played here, he had cage dancers and a giant spinning game-show wheel to randomise the setlist. But I've never seen him look so relaxed as he did here, on his own.

He sounded a bit under the weather, mind. The voice was slightly more ragged than usual, something he jokily blamed on the "lovely Cumbrian air" in Carlisle the night before.

There were plenty of hits. Accidents Will Happen was taut and sharp as ever, even stripped back to one guitar. Green Shirt was stunning, as menacing as in the old days. Oliver's Army, American Without Tears, Ghost Train, even She - on they came.

But the less-well-known stuff was equally interesting. Ascension Day, his post-Leadbelly collaboration with Allen Toussaint, hailed the efforts of the people of New Orleans to rebuild their city. The Last Year Of My Youth - unveiled on the Letterman show last year, even though he'd only written it the day before - showed that his brilliant songwriting skill remains undimmed.

Occasionally things hit the buffers, usually when he played the piano. He seemed ill at ease on the instrument, and an ill-advisedly jazzy Shipbuilding was dogged with a dragging tempo and some clunky playing. Later, a gospel reinvention of I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down was impeccable - but I was always relieved when he picked up a guitar again, especially for a magnificent, loop-powered Watching The Detectives.

There were laughs, too, with stories of his dad, a singer with the Joe Loss Orchestra, and a song from 1930 dedicated to his two eight-year-old sons. He even did Side By Side, its opening "Well, we ain't got a barrel of money…" drawing further chuckles.

For the encores, Costello was suddenly inside the giant TV for Pump It Up and Alison, brandishing the guitar from the cover of This Year's Model, before a rip-roaring version of Nick Lowe's (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding.

He said he'd see us again next time. I wonder what he'll do then. Whatever it is, it'll be worth the money.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.nottinghampost.com/Elvis-Cos ... story.html

Elvis Costello at Nottingham's Royal Concert Hall
June 15, 2015

By Sean Hewitt

Occasionally things hit the buffers, usually when he played the piano. He seemed ill at ease on the instrument, and an ill-advisedly jazzy Shipbuilding was dogged with a dragging tempo and some clunky playing. Later, a gospel reinvention of I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down was impeccable - but I was always relieved when he picked up a guitar again, especially for a magnificent, loop-powered Watching The Detectives.
Funny, for me the piano stuff is usually the highlight of the shows!
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

I sometimes think that EC should not play the piano at all. Shipbuilding at Harrogate had some very dubious notes in it, but then I Can't Stand Up was great. I agree with the reviewer though that it is a relief when he picks up a a guitar again. Maybe I am spolied by lsitening to Steve for so many years!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Set list from a recording that apparently exists !
01. (The Angels wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. I Hope You're Happy Now
03. Accidents Will Happen
04 Ascension Day
05. American Without Tears
06. Green Shirt
07. Home Truth
08. Oliver's Army
09. Shipbuilding (on piano)
10. Shot With His Own Gun (on piano)
11. Walkin' My Baby Back Home (seated)
12. Ghost Train
13. Wave A White Flag
15. She
16. Watching The Detectives
17. The Last Year Of My Youth
If I Had A Hammer - Ross McManus (playback)
Encore 1
18. Good Year For The Roses
19. Sneaky Feelings
20. Stella Hurt
21. I Can't Stand Up (For Falling Down ) (on piano)
Encore 2
22. Pump It Up ( inside giant TV)
23. Alison ( inside giant TV)
Encore 3
24. Side By Side (on piano)
25. Jimmy Standing In The Rain - Brother Can You Spare A Dime
26 (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding

Relatively short, no doubt EC was worried about saving his voice for Liverpool but the initial croakiness was powered out as he progressed .
He seemed to notice the lukewarm reaction to the run of songs from Ascension Day to Home Truth and threw Oliver's Army in as a crowd pleaser or so it appeared ! After Wave A White Flag someone shouted for Psycho ( a woman I think) and he said. "You must be joking after the last song" or words to that effect and went straight into "She". He also went off after ICSU(FFD) and just walked around the stage to the TV and came straight out to do PIU and Alison. Nice friendly stewards, I got a set list and a brand new poster .
If someone could put this on the wiki, could they also alter the Symphony Hall , Birmingham entry as he played Alison before PIU according to the funky gibbon recording thanks
Offshoreram

Post by Offshoreram »

It was in Nottingham.

The call of Psycho could have been a tribute to one of their long list of recently failed managers. Or perhaps a form of tourettes and a warning to those around :wink:
My head is spinning and my legs are weak