verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis , solo , plays Brighton UK, June 2 2015

Post by verbal gymnastics »

And me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I'll be there. Looking forward to a few Squeeze songs too...

MOOT
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

me
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Me part 2 of 7
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

4 am and still no gloating ?!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 2_Brighton

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Cheap Reward
03. Watch Your Step
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Ascension Day
06. Church Underground
07. 45
08. Either Side Of The Same Town
09. Come The Meantimes
10. Shipbuilding - on piano
11. He's Given Me Things - on piano
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
13. Ghost Train - seated
14. When I Was Cruel No. 2 - seated
15. Beyond Belief - seated
16. She - seated
17. Watching The Detectives
18. When I Write The Book - including Everyday I Write The Book - dedicated to Bobby Irwin
Encore 1
19. Good Year For The Roses - with Ronan MacManus and Ruairi MacManus
20. American Without Tears - with Ronan MacManus and Ruairi MacManus
21. Oliver's Army - with Ronan MacManus and Ruairi MacManus
Encore 2
22. Alison - inside TV
23. Pump It Up - inside TV
Encore 3
24. Side By Side - on piano
25. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
26. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
27. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Ronan MacManus, Luke Dolan and Ruari MacManus
Start time: 20:48
End time: 22:55
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review of last night's show by Nick Hasted in The Independent:

"Elvis Costello, Brighton Dome, gig review: Righteous rage has been replaced by a showbiz veteran with plenty still to say

Five stars: King of America returns to the UK

Elvis Costello and Britain have abandoned each other. His songs have barely mentioned the old country since 2004’s “Needle Time” recalled “the time I started to tire of those sour English”.

Living abroad since 1989, accountably contemptuous of the once-adoring British music press, and furious at home crowds only wanting ancient hits, the connection with his public here snapped. His audiences are now mostly around his own age of 60, the replenishing, youthful fans who flock to inspect Dylan and other icons apparently ignorant of the most prodigious writer of fine songs in British history. Tonight shows it’s their loss.

This Brighton gig early in a 24-date solo UK tour continues Costello’s more frequent and friendly returns to British stages. There is great, mutual affection with his loyal old fans, the stubborn remnant of a different England to the one which docilely let the Tories back in. Costello himself is as kind and gentle as he’s ever been, even during his most acidic songs. There is enormous fondness in the room.

Brighton is the city of Max Miller, and Costello recalls the Cheeky Chappie as he offers hilarious anecdotes to “the weird sex capital of Sussex”. An imminent autobiography has sharpened yarns such as the Mexican infidelity which inspired the writing of “Accidents Will Happen”, with its guilty line “I know what I’ve done”. The song ends with the crowd whispering “I know” back at him, like some sweaty nightmare. A brand new song about a triangle of complex love transactions, sung in a voice of bitter female experience, has the telling simplicity much of his recent work lacks. “He has an awful lot of money,” the woman tells her old lover of his replacement. “The past can be bought/And then erased.” Costello can still swing a punch to the gut. On “When I Was Cruel”, strummed with deceptive gentleness while sitting cross-legged, he lets its lyrical blades about a hellish media party slip in almost too softly to feel.

“Shipbuilding” sounds McCartneyesque at the piano, as a scattered few stand to respect this perfect anti-Falklands War song, from a time when such sentiments seemed rock music’s point. Costello’s ageing crowd also understand as he sinks into deep showbiz memories of teenage Blackpool gigs with his father, who sang “If I Had A Hammer” on the Royal Variety Performance stolen by The Beatles.

By the time Sixties footage of his dad looking the very spit of Costello screens, as the singer’s brothers appear for harmonies freighted with fraternal emotion, this gig has become about more deep-rooted English feelings than punk. The GI Bride heartbreaker “American Without Tears” blurs into the clubland numbness of “Pump It Up”, into “Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?” Then “Oliver’s Army” treads again on live danger-lines of race, joblessness and false patriotism. Costello used to sneer with righteous rage. Now he is a profound showbiz veteran, from a country which should embrace him again. "

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That 'paper review , literally, took the words out of my mouth. Elvis delivered a polished, confident show. A slight hoarseness in his voice gave , if anything , depth and resonance to the songs. My brief trip was a welcome distraction to some hectic work related things. It was good to add to my collection of down at heel, rundown seaside resorts that I've visited thanks to Elvis. It was also great to meet a few of the run down, down at... , er, sorry, some of the stalwarts of this forum and hear all their news. Verbal & I had a brief few minutes with Elvis after the show at the stage door. I talked to him about Chalkie Davies's photo show - he's looking forward to seeing it and commented that Chalkie had been working on it for years and that there were so many photos that he didn't have space for etc. He signed the leaflet from the show -

Verbal got the setlist signed -

I gave him copies of the albums of German versions of his songs - I just said ' A friend asked me to give you these' and he took them without unwrapping the cover note that was around them. It'll be curious to see if he reacts to them in any way.

Verbals photos -

My photos -

Saucy postcard backdrop for Accidents , appropriate to Brighton's seaside heritage.

I nearly got blown in to the sea !

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.theargus.co.uk/leisure/criti ... witterfeed

Elvis Costello, Brighton Dome Concert Hall, Church Street, Tuesday, June 2

3 June 2015 by Neil Vowles

Landlords and party hosts must despair when they see Elvis Costello coming – boy can he milk an exit.

The songsmith closed his Dome show with a five-part, nine song encore, not that anyone in the audience was disappointed or ready for him to leave the stage.

The extended finale included Good Year For The Roses and Olivier’s Army with harmonious backing from brothers Rory and Ronan McManus, a foot-stamping Pump It Up performed inside a giant TV screen, a stripped-back I Can’t Stand Up and a rousing jam on Peace, Love and Understanding.

It was some closing for a show that had started on slightly shaky ground with underwhelming acoustic renditions of Red Shoes and Lip Service.

But it’s not long before it sprang into life with a poignant Shipbuilding, Watching The Detectives which sees Costello jamming with himself with the aid of a loop pedal and She sang through a golden age of Hollywood director’s megaphone.

Costello is a fantastic raconteur, dropping in little jokes, family tales and stories behind the songs including how a taxi ride into Mexico led to Accidents Will Happen.

He tells the audience he has 400 songs to choose from and he may well have played them all but for the Dome’s 11pm curfew.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

This was a very good show. I thought Elvis' voice was great and there were some good stories. It was great to meet up with John, MOOT and Bradwell Boy.

My additional bits are

- Elvis talking about playing the Top Rank in Brighton whilst introducing Accidents will happen and saying he was sitting in a cafe with the Attractions when Accidents came on the radio. One of them said "Turn it up - it's us on the radio". The cafe owner, who couldn't hear them said "You're right it's shit - I'll turn it off!"

- After playing When I was cruel he said it was a true story and made reference to the shaven headed seaside thug. He said "I won't name him - he's still around. The bastard".

- He clearly enjoyed the seated section and added She.

- He's given me things is a great song.

- Alison and Pump it up from inside the TV on the green Jazzmaster was like watching him on TV in 1977

- Detectives was a bit messy. I thought he overdid the effects.

- The MacManus brothers encore was enjoyable and Elvis really enjoyed it. Elvis was walking around smiling when his brothers took to the mic

After the show there were only 5 people waiting, one of which was a friend of Ronan's. Elvis wasn't out for very long so we didn't chat to him much. Thanks to John for taking some great photos of me and Elvis. On my parting shot of "See you next week" Elvis said "Are you coming again then?" I think he was pleased...

Thanks for posting my pictures and setlist John.

By the way Tim, I've got your sharpie pen. I knew it was nt mine when Elvis gave it to me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?