Elvis, Solo, plays Southend-on-Sea, UK, June 4, 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis, Solo, plays Southend-on-Sea, UK, June 4, 2015

Post by Man out of Time »

I had been looking forward to this show, but getting there will be impossible if the National Rail strike due to begin at 5pm on 4 June goes ahead. The roads out of London will be jammed that day I imagine, and the following morning coming back in.

Pity... Anyone more local to Southend going ?

MOOT
Fishfinger king

Re: Elvis, Solo, plays Southend-on-Sea, UK, June 4, 2015

Post by Fishfinger king »

We'll be driving down from Norwich

(not a lot of help, sorry)
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

I am going and luckily for me I can walk to the cliffs in about 25 minutes. 2 hours if I do a pub crawl on the way
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So 2 hours it is then :lol:

I've only seen Elvis there once but it turned out to be the best Elvis gig I've ever been to.

I also met Sheeptotheslaughter and his family that night.

Are the two events related?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

VG said
I've only seen Elvis there once but it turned out to be the best Elvis gig I've ever been to.
:cry: :cry:
Anyway my best gig was when you weren't there too !!!
verbal gymnastics

Most people's best experiences are when I wasn't there...

As I once said to a girl I'd been out with

"I've had a lovely evening. But this wasn't it".

I can still feel that slap around the face :lol:

(One part of this story is not true).

I wish I could go to Southend but Mrs VG has pulled me up on the amount of gigs I've been to this year, let alone the other ones I've got tickets for!
sheeptotheslaughter

[quote="verbal gymnastics"]So 2 hours it is then :lol:
Depends on how long cousin Peter takes to get ready.

I also met Sheeptotheslaughter and his family that night.

But don't let put you off coming to Southend again
verbal gymnastics

It didn't and it won't!
Fishfinger king

It was a fantastic gig - I presume you mean the Spinning Songbook in 2013? Certainly in my top 3. Pity it is seated this time.

Good grief, this is less than a week away -doesn't time fly?
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Am going Part 4 of 7

Driving from Great Yarmouth if it helps anyone if no trains
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Fishfinger king wrote:
It was a fantastic gig - I presume you mean the Spinning Songbook in 2013? Certainly in my top 3. Pity it is seated this time.

Good grief, this is less than a week away -doesn't time fly?
Agreed, it was def one of the best ever. I'll be there again next week hoping for something similar although I also think the seating will have an effect.
I'm also going to Cambs and B'stoke................can't wait ! Also still waiting, forlornly I fear, for some London dates to be added ! :wink:
After all these months since the dates were released they have finally come around.
Bring it on !
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Good news for those of us with tickets - the national rail strike that would have meant no trains to or from Southend has been suspended.

Looking forward to seeing a lot of the usual faces, and possibly Phil Jupitus.

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... end-on-Sea

01. Sneaky Feelings
02. I Hope You're Happy Now
03. Accidents Will Happen
04. Ascension Day
05. Church Underground
06. 45
07. No Dancing
08. So Like Candy
09. Motel Matches
10. Shipbuilding - on piano
11. World's Great Optimist - on piano
12. The Comedians
13. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
14. Ghost Train - seated
15. When I Was Cruel No. 2 - seated
16. She - seated
17. Watching The Detectives
18. When I Write The Book - including Everyday I Write The Book - dedicated to Bobby Irwin
Encore 1
19. Good Year For The Roses - with Ronan MacManus
20. Oliver's Army - with Ronan MacManus
Encore 2
21. Hand In Hand - inside TV
22. Alison - inside TV
23. Pump It Up - inside TV
Encore 3
24. Side By Side - on piano
25. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
26. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
Encore 4
27. Little Triggers
28. Alibi
29. I Want You
30. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Ronan MacManus and Luke Dolan
Start time: 20:46
End time: 23:05
verbal gymnastics

Wow. As I said on the Oxford thread, it looks like he's hitting his stride.

:mrgreen:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/FernMiller/status/6 ... 0110450688
Did a sketch of @ElvisCostello at the cliffs this evening:

sheeptotheslaughter

i have tried to avoid setlists from other shows so as not to know what was coming.

That was one of the best shows i have been to. elvis was wonderful full of great songs you rarely hear.

Ronan said elvis said he was his favourite show of the tour, Elvis said he wasnt playing any london shows this year as he was trying something different

The only downside the security guy was rushing Elvis away from the 10 or 20 of us waiting to meet him luckily cousin peter took a couple of cracking photos of me and Elvis.
verbal gymnastics

I'm glad you enjoyed it. Judging by the setlist I'd say it was the best show of the show so far (although I really enjoyed Brighton).

I'm not altogether surprised that there won't be a London show this year. Elvis has confined himself pretty much playing the RAH in recent years and whilst this worked with the Songbook Shows, I think even Elvis will have noticed the swathes of empty seats as people walked out last October at the BluesFest shows. Indeed I'd vowed not to go if Elvis played the RAH this year. I like the venues on this tour.

If there is a change of heart (which I think there will be later in the year when the book comes out) then he ought to play somewhere else in London.
erey

Post by erey »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I'm glad you enjoyed it. Judging by the setlist I'd say it was the best show of the show so far (although I really enjoyed Brighton).

I'm not altogether surprised that there won't be a London show this year. Elvis has confined himself pretty much playing the RAH in recent years and whilst this worked with the Songbook Shows, I think even Elvis will have noticed the swathes of empty seats as people walked out last October at the BluesFest shows. Indeed I'd vowed not to go if Elvis played the RAH this year. I like the venues on this tour.
EC wasn't kidding when he called this tour "Detour". He skipped all the "usual suspects" on the US leg of the tour as well -- no New York City, Los Angeles, San Francisco bay area, Boston, Philly, Atlanta, etc. -- instead opting for a bunch of places he has rarely or literally never played before.
verbal gymnastics

Very true - and I for one am not complaining!
krm

Post by krm »

World's Great Optimist - not a song that he plays every show..... Nice surprise for those of you who where there.
Fishfinger king

Didn't like the comment about pitchforks and never coming back to Norwich (boo, hoo - it was only a bit of beer and Liverpool won on penalties).
Other than that it was an excellent solo gig - much better than the lacklustre outing I saw in Swansea last year.
I don't think I've heard Sneaky Feelings or No Dancing live since 1977, nor Hand in Hand since 1978!
Never heard World's Great Optimist before but guess that applies to most of us.
So Like Candy and Little Triggers also good surprises.
I also don't like looking at setlists before gigs in order to have the surprise element - so won't look at any others till after my next gig in Cambridge in two weeks - though it's never too late to add Norwich, Elvis!!
blureu

Post by blureu »

First time ever played live, yes?
krm wrote:World's Great Optimist - not a song that he plays every show..... Nice surprise for those of you who where there.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Definitely a memorable and exciting gig. I would agree with most comments made already but this is my take on it.
Got there early and met up with Moot, his mate Mike and Bradwell Boy. Had a good old chat about everything and anything before going into the hall. Wished I'd gone in earlier as the set was brilliant and watching the old videos brought back loads of great memories. I must admit I'd completely forgotten about the This Town video with Harry Enfield ! Anyway onto the show itself...........and what a show. I loved hearing a lot of the oldies like Sneaky Feelings, No Dancing, Ghost Train and especially Hand In Hand. The staging was brilliant , and the songs in the tv were a great idea. My only problem was that by sitting front right of stage , all the piano songs were performed by "The Singing White Hat" as that's all I could see over the top of the piano ! Mind you they sounded great ! His little stories in between songs were as always very entertaining although some were repeats from last years tour, but still worth listening to again. It was very much a stay seated concert which in the main fitted the songs and tempo of the night although a few people started to stand when the encores started much to the annoyance of one particularly over-zealous female "bouncer" who seemed to hate the sight of people enjoying themselves ! I'm sure she even ejected a woman from row 4 or 5 ! Anyway, more of her later ! All in all another top "Cliffs Pavilion" gig................following on from his last one there. Maybe he just loves the sea air ! Lots of old songs and a few new nuggets made it a perfect mix ! Top marks to the great man !
After the finish which was past 11 myself and maybe 15 others waited by the stage door only for it to be opened after a few minutes by the female bouncer who very rudely opened her repertoire with "Right get back all of you, right back, or he ain't coming out !"................Charming ! She then continued in this vain several times greatly annoying a few of the female fans there as she was being so unnecessarily rude and talking as if we were a bunch of teenage yobbos! ( the average age was probably 50+ ! ). Finally after what seemed like a very long time, one of Elvis's own roadies came out and had a nice chat and prepared us for the great man's entrance! A lesson to be learned there for the female bouncer..........speaking nicely and being polite goes a long way ! When Elvis did come out he signed everything that was asked of him and posed for dozens of photos ( me included) like the true star he is. I myself asked him about the possibility of any London dates later in the year and he said almost apologetically....."No, not really. You see we are trying to do something different with this tour, we did all that last time, and so not really, no."
So, it sounds like, enjoy these dates everyone because I think that's your lot for this year ! Mind you we have been spoilt the last 2 or 3 years.
So there you have it ! Another top gig, another tour T-shirt, and another photo with Elvis !................BRILLIANT !
Next up for me is Cambridge ! I can't wait ! 8)
migdd

Post by migdd »

No. He played it on a few dates of his US solo shows prior to (?) the release of Spike.
blureu wrote:First time ever played live, yes?
krm wrote:World's Great Optimist - not a song that he plays every show..... Nice surprise for those of you who where there.
krm

Post by krm »

migdd wrote:No. He played it on a few dates of his US solo shows prior to (?) the release of Spike.
blureu wrote:First time ever played live, yes?

Huh??? When? What dates???