http://www.stgpresents.org/tickets/by-m ... tello-solo

STG Presents
Elvis Costello (Solo)
Sunday
April 26, 2015

THE PARAMOUNT THEATRE
911 Pine Street
Seattle, WA 98101
Last edited by johnfoyle on Fri Mar 20, 2015 1:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis , solo, Seattle , April 26 '15

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

erey

Post by erey »

This show has been showing as "Not Many Left!" on Ticketmaster for weeks. Right now, it looks like there are a few dozen seats left in the high balcony and that's it. Anyone who wants good seats now might as well try winning them!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Via Twitter

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.setlist.fm/setlist/elvis-cos ... 8ce66.html

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Cheap Reward
03. Watch Your Step
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Ascension Day
06. Church Underground
07. 45
08. Green Shirt
09. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
10. Shipbuilding - on piano
11. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - seated
13. I Surrender Dear - seated
14. Ghost Train - seated
15. Wave A White Flag - seated
16. Beyond Belief - seated
17. Watching The Detectives
Encore 1
18. Veronica
19. When I Write The Book / Everyday I Write The Book
Encore 2 - in TV set
20. Alison
21. Pump It Up
22. TV Is The Thing (This Year)
23. The Only Flame In Town
Encore 3
24. Side By Side - on piano
25. I Believe To My Soul - on piano
26. My Three Sons
27. Brilliant Mistake
28. Jimmie Standing In The Rain / Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
30. Oliver's Army
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... paramount/

Elvis Costello delivers fabulous tour closer at the Paramount

Elvis Costello closed his ‘Detour’ solo tour Sunday at the Paramount Theatre with a fabulous night of music that included a rare film clip of his father, Ross McManus, writes rock critic Charles R. Cross.

Concert review

Before Elvis Costello even took the stage at the Paramount Theatre Sunday (April 26), it was almost certain he would invoke a local legend. At every previous stop on what he called the “Detour” solo tour, he’d pulled out one special cover with local connections.

So halfway into a 30-song set, when you expected a Sonics’ cover, instead he played “I Surrender Dear” by Tacoma-born Bing Crosby. Like much of the night, it was playful, but simultaneously sincere.

Bing fit perfectly into a set heavy on crooning, which often evoked a powerful nostalgia. That came through in the deep catalog songs Costello selected (“Watch Your Step,” “Alison,” “Accidents Will Happen”), but also with a stage set that looked like an old television.

He began the night on guitar with “(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes,” from 1977, but eventually went back deeper than that, switching to piano on Ray Charles’ “I Believe to My Soul.”

Costello talked about his ancestors often, and if he sounded like someone who is writing a memoir, that’s because he is. He said his father had been a musician, and to prove the point he played a clip of his dad, Ross McManus, doing “If I Had a Hammer.” There was a strong resemblance between father and son — plus, it rocked.

For most of the night Elvis was on acoustic guitar, but for “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding” he used both electric and acoustic, playing along with an electronic loop. He also used a bullhorn and an old record player. But the night’s highlight came when he sang “Everyday I Write the Book,” off microphone.

Costello mentioned his love for the Paramount several times, and said he had played there so much “I feel like I live here.” He’d played a private benefit in the hall for the Seattle Theatre Group, which operates the Paramount, the night before.

Sunday was the last night of the tour, and it seemed at times as if Costello didn’t want it to end. He played a dozen songs in the encores alone, and closed with an upbeat “Oliver’s Army.”

That song wasn’t on the set list, but a fan had yelled it out earlier in the night. Playing the request was one of many classy touches, but it was also a perfect closer to a fabulous night of music.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Stage setlist from Janine. I sent her the above setlist - she commented -. 'This playlist looks accurate at first glance.
I will have a small line to add later. (He tacked on the first lines of song "24 Hours From Tulsa" to one song.) Start time was about 7:05 pm and end time about 9:25.'
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

sweetest punch wrote:At every previous stop on what he called the “Detour” solo tour, he’d pulled out one special cover with local connections.
This is an interesting observation. I'm not sure if it's entirely true, but there have been several examples of songs with local connections (not necessarily covers).

Boulder: ?
Lincoln: "Laughing At Life" (originally by Ruth Etting, who was born in Nebraska)
Kansas City: "Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street)"
Tulsa: "Twenty Four Hours From Tulsa"
Springfield: ?
St. Louis: "Shake Yourself Loose" (originally by T Bone Burnett, who was born in St. Louis), "Diamond Ring" (mentions St. Louis)
Memphis: "Here I Am (Come And Take Me)" (originally by Al Green, who recorded in Memphis)
New Orleans: "American Without Tears," a couple of Allen Toussaint songs, and Allen Toussaint himself
Mobile: "Stuck Inside Of Mobile With The Memphis Blues Again"
Jacksonville: "Florida Key"
Clearwater: ?
Orlando: ?
Fort Lauderdale: "Florida Key" again
Seattle: "I Surrender Dear" (originally by Bing Crosby, born in Washington)

What did I miss?
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

There were definitely some uh...detours from that setlist.

There was definitely no Either Side of the Same Town, Come the Meantimes, The Comedians, Toledo, Radio Sweetheart, Lost on the River, Suit of Lights, This Year's Girl, Radio Soul, Man Out of Time, I Want You, and Only Flame got brought out in the encore, not on the end of Detectives.

It was a great show, definitely would have liked to have heard some of the stuff that didn't make it from the page to the stage, but I have no complaints.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

TV Is The Thing (This Year) - http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-kijzBhDxqA
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Busking "Back On My Feet"& "So Like Candy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fJT3zCudiw
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
erey

Post by erey »

sweetest punch wrote:Busking "Back On My Feet"& "So Like Candy": https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3fJT3zCudiw
The buskers are nice fellows, too: http://www.seattletimes.com/life/rant-r ... s-buskers/

"RAVE To the excellent buskers outside Sunday’s Elvis Costello concert at the Paramount, who not only warmed everybody up for Elvis, but gave all their takings to a homeless lady."
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Charles R. Cross from The Seattle Times ranks this show among the best concerts of 2015: http://www.seattletimes.com/entertainme ... s-of-2015/

High fives: the best concerts of 2015

(...)
Elvis Costello, Paramount Theatre: Perhaps the best show Costello has ever played in Seattle, if only for the video of his father singing “If I Had a Hammer.”
(...)