Elvis plays Lincoln, NE on 3 March 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis plays Lincoln, NE on 3 March 2015

Post by Man out of Time »

Preview of this solo show by L. Kent Wolgamott in the Lincoln Star Journal on 1 December 2014.

"Elvis Costello to play first show in Lincoln

Elvis Costello will play Lincoln for the first time ever on March 3.

The Rococo Theatre date is the second of 13 “solo” appearances Costello is making in the Midwest and in Florida on a tour that has been dubbed “Detour.”

Costello’s only previous headlining Nebraska appearance was a 1982 show at the Omaha Civic Auditorium Music Hall with his band The Attractions. He most recently played Nebraska in 2008, opening for The Police with his band The Imposters at Omaha's CenturyLink Center.

He will be performing at the Rococo alone, as he did when he opened for Bob Dylan at the CenturyLink Center in 2007. His Rococo show will continue his acclaimed series of solo performances in North America and Europe this year.

The solo tours, according to the Louisville Courier-Journal, “have given him opportunity to dig deep into one of modern music’s deepest and most intensely satisfying catalogs,” while The New York Times said of his Carnegie Hall appearance in June: “Costello offered something else: a continuing, challenging, intimate engagement with his songs, old and new.”

The Journal Star review of his solo opening stint with Dylan seven years ago was:

“Costello ran through a surprising mixture of songs, both early and relatively recent. Always a charming devil, he led the audience in some call-and-response, played great guitar, worked the microphone like a pro to vary his songs and proved to be a great crooner and a great rock singer, switching easily from mode to mode.”

Costello, 60, burst into the music world with his 1976 debut album, “My Aim Is True,” one of the best recordings of the New Wave era, the designation with which he was initially tagged. Costello and The Attractions then released “This Year’s Model” in 1978 and “Armed Forces" in 1979. Those three records are all on Rolling Stone magazine’s top 500 albums of all time list.

Costello and The Attractions were inducted in the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003.

Costello and The Attractions split in 1986. Costello’s solo work has ranged from country to jazz and includes a classical excursion with the Brodsky Quartet and collaborations with Burt Bacharach, New Orleans legend Allen Toussaint and, most recently, with hip-hop band The Roots on last year’s “Wise Up Ghost.”

Costello’s best-known songs include: “Alison,” “(The Angels Want to Wear My) Red Shoes,” “Pump It Up,' “Clubland,” “Everyday I Write the Book,” “Veronica,” “So Like Candy,” “Tear Off Your Own Head (It’s a Doll Revolution)” and “Complicated Shadows.”

Tickets for Costello’s show go on sale Thursday at noon. Tickets are $125, $87, $67 and $47 plus fees. Tickets will be available at rococotheatre.com and at eTix.com."

The full text of L. Kent's review of Elvis' 2007 opening slot for Dylan in Omaha is here.

Surprised that the list of Elvis' "best known songs" includes “Tear Off Your Own Head (It’s a Doll Revolution)”, but not (say) Watching The Detectives or Oliver's Army.

Anyone anywhere near Nebraska?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Lincoln, NE on 3 March 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis hasn't played in Lincoln, Nebraska before.

Maybe he 'll drop into local business Zager Guitars , run by Denny Zager , one time member of 1960s duo Zager and Evans , who sang In The Year 2525.

http://zager-guitars.net/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/AskDanThePRMan/stat ... 4994312192

Dan Parsons

@AskDanThePRMan

@ElvisCostello is in the building! @RococoTheatre

https://twitter.com/proletariat_TV/stat ... 8855859200

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.dailynebraskan.com/arts_and_ ... 63b86.html

Elvis Costello solo show at Rococo Theatre sold out

On March 3, Elvis Costello will make his first appearance in Lincoln at the Rococo Theatre.

The second in a 13-venue tour of solo shows, the event sold out in about a week according to the Rococo’s executive director Pam Gregorious. In addition, she said the demand was so high that her staff didn’t need to do any promotion for the event after fans started buying tickets through the fan club presale.

“That really helped us because anyone that’s a fan of him got the information right away,” Gregorious said.

Since the Rococo has booked big-name acts such as Dave Chappelle and Homefree, Gregorious said the theatre has sold out tickets, something typically uncommon for the Rococo.

As far the crowd Gregorious expects, she said it should be a snapshot of Costello’s core fan base based on how little time the tickets were available.

“I think we’re going to see a few college-aged kids but I’d say a majority of the people we’ve talked to that bought tickets are between the ages of 35 and 55,” Gregorious said. “It should be a little bit older demographic.”

This is 60-year-old Costello’s first time playing in Lincoln and his second time headlining in Nebraska after playing in Omaha with his band, The Attractions, in 1986. More recently, he’s opened for The Police and Bob Dylan in 2008 and 2007, respectively, in Omaha.

When it came to choosing a Lincoln venue, Gregorious said nothing matched the tone of Costello’s set quite like the Rococo.

“Only holding a thousand people is a very intimate setting for the performer and the audience because he’s right there,” Gregorious said. “Everyone in the room can feel like they’re right there with him.”
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Tweeted photos of preparations -

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

How I would prefer to spend this night:

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://journalstar.com/entertainment/mu ... 5682e.html

Review: Elvis Costello captivates in brilliant Rococo show
Jeff Korbelik | Lincoln Journal Star

For two hours Tuesday night, Elvis Costello captivated more than 1,000 people in the sold-out Rococo Theatre with a brilliantly staged, played and sung 29-song performance

That performance was primarily solo, with Costello playing a bunch of acoustic guitars, pulling out a hollow body electric for a few and moving to the piano for a couple more. He was joined by Larkin Poe, the sister duo that opened the show, on a half-dozen songs that closed the main set and again for three songs on the encore.

There’s no writer other than Bob Dylan that has a catalog of songs as expansive as Costello’s. And he mined it for hits, like the opener “(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes” and far lesser known songs, like “Lost on the River #12,” the next to last song.

And, like Dylan has done for decades, Costello dramatically reworked some of them in performance -- giving “Lip Service” a country feel, turning “I Can’t Stand Up for Falling Down” into a dark piano ballad and turning “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror” loud and declarative.

In a similar vein, “Brilliant Mistake” wasn’t written for mandolin, resonator guitar and female backing vocals. But that’s what it got -- and it worked, demonstrating, with the rest of the changes, the songs’ versatility and greatness.

A true showman as well as a great singer and songwriter, Costello’s performance was beautifully paced -- he moved to the piano and broke out the hollow body and a loop pedal to do “Watching the Detectives” at just the right times.

And it was smartly staged with a giant console TV prop behind him that, on the encore opened its screen/curtain to reveal Costello with electric guitar at the mic, for three songs, begun by “Pump It Up” and capped with “Alison.”

I’ve seen Costello a dozen times over the last 30-plus years and Tuesday’s show was one of the best and most entertaining of those shows.

Tuesday’s show was Costello’s first Lincoln appearance. But it may not be his last.

Early in the show an audience member shouted out thanks to Costello for coming to Lincoln and playing a small venue. Costello responded “This is a great place. I’m going to come back here if you’ll have me.”

Anytime, Elvis, anytime.

And a Twitter review:
$150+ for tickets, drinks, parking & child sitter. Listening to Elvis play obscure songs for 2 hours. #Notpriceless #refundplease #NotAFan
And No Coffee Table

Charles on Facebook writes:

Ok, so I may have some trouble coming down after that show! And I may need a day or so to help nail down a set list, but here we go (since I'm obviously not sleeping soon)! And hopefully Lori can help me clear up any errors or missing details! Of course I got the only used pic laying on the stage at the end of the night! Woo Hoo! And Elvis and I shared a chat, mid-show, as I politely requested Psycho! He said they always request that in Glasgow. Then asked me if I was from Glasgow! Then made some sort of reference of not remembering that song Elvis toys with me! I know I'm rambling but, I'm truly excited. Hope I have this kind of right as I'm going by memory and the order is way wrong.

Red Shoes
After The Fall
CHEAP REWARD
Ascension Day
Poison Moon
Walking My Baby...
Beyond Belief
Ghost Train
Accidents Will Happen
Everyday I Write The Book
Almost Blue
I Can't Stand Up...
Deep Dark...
Watching The Detectives
Brilliant Mistake
Come The Meantimes
Pads Paws...
Love Field
I Felt A Chill
Turpentine
Hidee Hidee Ho #11
Lost on the River
Alison
Pump It Up
Jimmie Standing/Brother Can You...
What's So Funny...

I know there may have been others, and this order is way wrong. He did this great honky tonk number, with LP, that I didn't know. Some of the lyrics were "laughing at your blues" and I believe another quick song,I didn't recognize, mentioned "tv is the thing this year"? I tried my best!!! It was too mind blowing! Highlight of the night was easily his version of I Can't Stand Up..., on the piano, slowed down and he hit some of the most powerful vocals I've ever heard! He was having a blast, told great stories, and was incredible!Ok, enjoy, and goodnight!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Larkin Poe tweeted these photos from the soundcheck -

Audience tweets

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Charles Martin's photos , via f/book

[imghttps://scontent-lhr.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-xpf1/v/t1.0-9/10981516_10153093216543774_6075027739615403133_n.jpg?oh=bb4f0bbdbe0dab8af9ce45e00f32bd42&oe=5593A849][/img]

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lori's preshow photos, via f/book -

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

first ever solo I CANT STAND UP??? was it the SLOW new years eve 1981 version??
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Some great pics :) I'm thinking "T.V is the thing this year" must surely be the Dinah Washington song that Elvis played on John Kelly's Irish radio programme back in 1998.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... c_Ballroom

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2xiRp9UntPs

wonder if it was a full rendition or some snippet or banter ?
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:first ever solo I CANT STAND UP???
It was played at some of the 1984 solo shows.

http://www.omaha.com/go/review-elvis-co ... 6aaef.html

Review: Elvis Costello lets talent shine during Lincoln concert
By Kevin Coffey / World-Herald Bureau

LINCOLN — If only they were all this good.

With only several instruments scattered about the stage as well as his voice and his songs, Elvis Costello delivered a career-spanning, breathtaking set that did away with a big band, elaborate staging or anything fancy and simply let his talent shine.

In front of about 1,000 at a sold-out Rococo Theatre, Costello was at his finest. He ditched a band for a primarily acoustic set of 28 songs that he performed like a master, taking those gathered through volumetric and emotional highs and lows.

Take two of the evening’s most moving songs: “I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down” was created more than 20 years apart from “45,” but he played one after the other. The former he performed seated behind a baby grand piano and crooned into the microphone like he was living the lyrics of the song. For the latter, he cranked up his hollow-body guitar and cranked out a rocking jam.

Despite differences in delivery, both of his compositions hit home hard.

Costello’s songs don’t need to be filled in by backup singers or a wall of sound. He can do it all on his own, and any musician or writer should follow him on tour and take notes.

Earlier, a bespectacled Costello nonchalantly strolled onstage in a blue suit and white hat. Other than some early, polite applause and some thunderous cheers whenever he’d bring a song to its close, the audience left Costello in respectful silence as if they’d scare him off if they got too loud.

It left Costello to trade between several acoustic guitars and a piano and to play songs that sampled his radio heyday as well as more modern selections.

“Everyday I Write the Book,” which he mentioned he really hates, veered far from its familiar synthesizer pop-laden version as Costello vigorously picked out a melody on acoustic guitar and quietly sang along.

On “Deep Dark Truthful Mirror,” Costello traded the original’s piano and horns for an acoustic guitar, but he sang every note like it was his last night on stage.

For “Watching the Detectives,” he played that hollow body matched with looping pedals that allowed him to play rhythm guitar, lead and bust out some solos while the audience shouted the chorus.

Between songs, he made humorous quips, told stories about his father and introduced songs with tales of their writing. He also heaped praise on Lincoln.

It’s so lovely, this hall. It’s beautiful,” he said. “Being as I was here in Lincoln, I thought I’d only sing songs of love and fidelity. Then I thought this would be a short set.”

On his way to playing more than two hours, Costello performed three separate encores. For the first, he was joined by the women of Larkin Poe, the Georgia-based duo who opened the show with some beautiful harmonies.

Though they’re quite talented, Costello’s vulnerability was stripped from his vocabulary-heavy songs when he was joined by the two women. It was instantly less intimate.

After several songs with the duo, they left the stage before Costello returned again — this time with his signature Fender Jazzmaster.

“Pump It Up” came first, fast and hard, and brought people to their feet to dance and shout. He finished that encore with a very loud rock version of “Alison” that had the audience fill what little space there was with their voices.

For his final encore, Costello offered four more songs with more help from Larkin Poe.

Costello and his companions ended with “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding,” which saw members of the audience reaching out to him and screaming the words.

As he did after most songs, Costello smiled and took a bow as he was showered with cheers and at least one desperate cry of, “I love you.”

“I love you individually and as a group,” he said. “Goodnight. God bless you, and we’ll see you again.”
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Setlist from wiki:

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Cheap Reward
03. After The Fall
04. Accidents Will Happen
05. Poison Moon
06. Ascension Day
07. Come The Meantimes
08. Almost Blue
09. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
10. 45
11. Deep Dark Truthful Mirror
12. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
13. Ghost Train
14. Beyond Belief
15. Watching The Detectives
16. Everyday I Write The Book
17. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
18. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
19. Turpentine - with Larkin Poe
20. I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came - with Larkin Poe
21. (song not yet identified) - with Larkin Poe
22. Brilliant Mistake - with Larkin Poe
23. Pump It Up
24. This Year's Girl
25. Alison
26. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
27. Hidee Hidee Ho - with Larkin Poe
28. Lost On The River #12 - with Larkin Poe
29. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Larkin Poe use Charles Martin's photo

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:first ever solo I CANT STAND UP??? was it the SLOW new years eve 1981 version??
Here's the audio from Kansas City:

ermit101

Post by ermit101 »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

EC' s lawyers are watching us: please do not post links to these kind of recordings.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Well done for sharing - unfortunately, we have shared all of these/bought everything we can EC.

We are still looking please to hear - preferably paying EC-the performers-the composer - EC 2015-03-10 'I knew the bride .......'.

Do not pay the wanky useless rip off immoral lawyers-banks more than they deserve.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
ermit101

Post by ermit101 »

[Postby sweetest punch » Sat Apr 04, 2015 2:22 am

EC' s lawyers are watching us: please do not post links to these kind of recordings.
Sorry, I thought I had seen links here before. I'll refrain in the future