Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, Kansas City, 5 March 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone here going?
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis, solo, Kansas City, 5 March 2015

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The show is at the Uptown Theater in Kansas City.

I think it's a given that EC and Larkin Poe will play "Six Months In Kansas City" (which they played days ago in Boulder). But will he/they do "Walk Us Uptown"?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Lori's on the scene! via f/book

verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder if he'll stick a bit of an ABBA song into one of his songs given that Abbamania is on Saturday.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

Hello to all! It's been a while since I've posted here. I think it was the last time Elvis was here in Kansas City for the Spinning Wheel Tour. I ended up missing that show because of a leg injury sustained just days before. I will be there tonight though!

This show tonight falls on Momofuku's birthday coincidentally. Looking forward to hearing Turpentine from that album tonight (maybe)

And on a sad note. Brenda Nelson who got to spin the wheel and dance in the go-go cage during the last show passed away a couple of months ago. She was mentioned in the KC Show thread linked below. She was a great lady!

I'll check in with my review tomorrow.

Peace, Love and U!

Uncomplicated

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... php?t=8875
It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
And No Coffee Table

Thanks to Lori for the setlist.

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. Blue Minute
03. Watch Your Step
04. Worthless Thing
05. Our Little Angel
06. Church Underground
07. I Hear A Melody
08. 45
09. Come The Meantimes
10. Almost Blue - on piano
11. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down - on piano
12. Ascension Day
13. Veronica
14. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
15. Ghost Train
16. Toledo
17. When I Was Cruel No. 2
18. Watching The Detectives
19. Everyday I Write The Book
20. Pads, Paws And Claws - with Larkin Poe
21. Love Field - with Larkin Poe
22. Hidee Hidee Ho - with Larkin Poe
23. That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving - with Larkin Poe
24. Brilliant Mistake - with Larkin Poe
25. Laughing At Life - with Larkin Poe
26. Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street) - with Larkin Poe
27. Pump It Up
28. Alison
29. TV Is The Thing (This Year)
30. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
31. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Larkin Poe

Billie Holiday's "Laughing At Life" and Dinah Washington's "TV Is The Thing (This Year)" were both played two nights ago in Lincoln, but you may have missed the fleeting references to them on that thread due to some initial confusion over the setlists.
Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Fri Mar 06, 2015 11:33 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... 13644.html

Elvis Costello puts on a raucous Uptown show

By TIMOTHY FINN
Kansas City Star

A show billed as “solo” or “an evening with” is usually an advisement or a warning: Take a seat, relax and sedate yourself, because the headliner will be on stage strumming a guitar or playing piano or both, alone.

Thursday night, Elvis Costello brought his solo tour to the Uptown Theater.

He performed for nearly two and a half hours and delivered more than 30 songs, most of them solo, on guitar or piano.

The mood he generated, however, was anything but meditative or sedated.

He had some assistance on a few songs from his opening duo -- sisters Megan and Rebecca Lovell, who perform as Larkin Poe -- but mostly it was Elvis, alone, pulling songs out of his vast catalog and pitching them to an enthusiastic audience that nearly filled the theater.

To carry a room as big as the Uptown, a good one-person show requires an entertainer with either a large, vibrant personality or a deep reservoir of memorable music. Costello brought both.

There may be some complaints about the set list. Instead of playing most of his best-known and most beloved songs -- he never really had any “hits” -- Costello drew from across his diverse discography, including material with the Attractions and the Imposters and collaborations with the Roots and Allen Toussaint.

As former Kink founder Ray Davies did on his “Storyteller” tour, Costello (real name Declan MacManus) reminisced throughout the show, telling stories and anecdotes.

The stage was equipped with a large, vintage-TV screen that broadcast snide aphorisms (”Just stop playing that ugly drug music”) and old-school images, including a photo of Costello’s grandfather, a French-horn player in the ‘20s, and his father, Ross MacManus, who, in 1963, was part of the Royal Command Performance that featured the Beatles -- in which John Lennon asked the royalty and their like to “rattle your jewelry.”

The mammoth set list was filled with highlights.

He opened with a classic, “The Angels Wanna Wear My Red Shoes,” then slipped in and out of his best-known material, hopping from favorites like “Worthless Thing” to lesser-knowns like “Our Little Angel.” Stripped down to acoustic guitar and voice, the arrangements laid bare his songs’ instant melodic appeal and their lyrical potency.

One of the show’s most exhilarating moments came early, when he took a seat at the piano and delivered a slow, gut-thundering version of “Almost Blue” that stilled the room into a thick silence.

He followed that with a deconstructed version of “I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down,” then went right into “Ascension Day,” followed (on guitar) by a freaky-folk rendition of “Veronica.”

He did justice to “Walking My Baby Back Home,” and followed that with “Ghost Train,” from his stellar “Get Happy!” album, now 35 years old. Before that one, he talked about his dad getting swept up in the counterculture spirit of the 1960s and growing out his hair so he looked like “Peter Sellers in ‘What’s New Pussycat’ or, for the younger people here, like Austin Powers.

Costello sustained the levity throughout the show.

Before “Evey Day I Write the Book,” he declared, “Here’s a song I hate.”

After that one, the TV screen showed footage of his father’s band performing “If I Had A Hammer” for the queen. Then the Lovell sisters joined him for a few songs, including “Pads, Paws and Claws” and “Love Field,” which prompted some couples to stand and slow dance.

The peak of their collaboration: “Six Months in Kansas City (Liberty Street),” one of Costello's contributions to “Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes.”

He closed with a few favorites: “Pump It Up” and then a stellar rendition of “Alison” on electric guitar.

He summoned the Lovells once more for the finale, a raucous rendition of “(What's So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding” that had the big crowd on its feet, singing along and indulging in an artist whose charm and talents are as true as his aim.

Read more here: http://www.kansascity.com/entertainment ... rylink=cpy
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

C'mon people...where's all the video from these first three shows?

And why is it that people continually record/upload the most obvious, least interesting, heard-'em-a-million-times numbers (Detectives, Pump It Up, PLU, Alison) over and OVER again? It's hard to understand, given that one assumes that anyone posting on this forum has a deeper interest in EC?

I mean, this tour alone, we've gotten Wave a White Flag, Blue Minute, TV Is the Thing, He's Given Me Thing, and an (apparently--I don't know for sure cuz no one's posted video!) awesome piano-driven version of Can't Stand Up....

Where are the clips of those?????
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I love the slow version of I can't stand up for falling down and it's good to see Worthless Thing.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://www.pitch.com/FastPitch/archives ... last-night

Elvis Costello delivered an intimate, lengthy set at the Uptown last night

Posted By Natalie Gallagher on Fri, Mar 6, 2015 at 10:40 AM

Elvis Costello with Larkin Poe
Uptown Theater, Kansas City
Thursday, March 5

For more photos, go here.

Anyone who remained at Elvis Costello’s Uptown show last night until the very end – nearly two and a half hours after he started the night off – left happy. Over the course of 31 songs – a setlist comprised of both radio hits and deep cuts – the prolific artist gave fans a show that was truly unforgettable.

Following an excellent set by opening band Larkin Poe, a sister duo from Atlanta, Georgia, Costello walked onstage with a bright smile. He was fairly casual about the whole thing as he picked up one of several guitars and began an acoustic version of “(Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes.” Decimating the fourth wall seemed to be a theme throughout the night: Costello performed solo on stage for the majority of the evening, engaging in warm conversational banter with the audience.

The stage was set up for such familiarity. Aside from his guitars and a baby grand piano, the decorations seemed vaguely reminiscent of the set of A Prairie Home Companion: There was a light-up “On Air” sign, a “Detour” sign, a cozy-looking blue rocking chair. A large television displayed randomized song lyrics, archival footage of Costello and some of his family.

Costello himself – even with his fine three-piece suit and white hat cocked just so – was entirely approachable. As the crowd shouted out love and requests, he smiled and winked at them, joking genially between songs.

“I thought, tonight, I’d sing songs just about love and fidelity,” he said after the first two songs, “but then I figured I’d have a really short show.”

Short, perhaps, and lacking some of Costello’s best material – a fear which he squashed pretty quickly. For the first handful of songs, Costello stood center stage, switching the inflection of his voice as often as he changed guitars. His grainy warble was at its best on “Blue Minute,” which was given a jangly rockabilly treatment; later, his voice became fine and delicate as he sang the refrain on “I Hear A Melody.” There was plenty of variety: “Church Underground” became a slinky, cool number; “Ascension Day” was stark and solemn.

But it was the two songs Costello played on the piano that might have been the true highlights of the evening. He delivered “Almost Blue” as a naked, doleful jazz number that simply melted us all into a puddle of feelings. The theater was pin-drop silent. He broke our hearts further by following it up with “I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down.” As soon as the song was over, he rose from the piano, took a proud little bow, and strapped on another guitar. (Other rock legends, please note: This is how you do it.)

After an energetic rendition of “Veronica,” Costello, as he switched out guitars once more, Costello addressed his audience again.

“It’s time now to introduce my special guest for this evening,” he said, making his way over to the rocking chair. “It’s me.”

This segment of his set found Costello sharing, in a very story-hour fashion, a few memories of his father, Ross MacManus, who used to play with the popular big band the Joe Loss Orchestra. He was funny and sincere, and if the show didn’t feel as intimate as a living room before, it certainly did then.

He played a few songs from this spot, including the sweet “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home.” (This song, by the way, featured a flawless whistled verse for which Costello definitely deserves some kind of award.) And then he was up again, giving the crowd a reverb-drenched version of “Watching the Detectives,” which featured some impressively loud live looping (including a bit with a police siren). Costello looked like a kid playing with his favorite new toy. “Everyday I Write the Book,” which Costello introduced as “a song I hate,” got a similar treatment, before he took another bow and exited the stage.

It was only a few moments before he was back again, this time with Larkin Poe – Rebecca and Megan Lovell – in tow. Together, the trio delivered a powerful bundle of songs as the sisters provided harmonies and some lush guitar work (including a bit of electric mandolin). This was an inventive take on some of Costello’s catalog, including a gospel version of the most obvious song of the night, “Six Months in Kansas City (Liberty Street).”

While the Lovells are extraordinarily talented – no, seriously, go take a listen, these women can shred – it’s also worth noting that the level of sound didn’t really change much with their addition. Costello, on his own on stage, has no trouble filling up the room with his music.

And it didn’t take him long to return to that format. At his second encore, Costello stood in front of the television set, the screen having been replaced by curtains. From here, it was a slew of grand slams - including “Pump It Up” and a fast-paced “Alison.”

At last, the third encore of the night found Costello back again with Larkin Poe, ending with the eternal classic “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” It was the most satisfying culmination possible. Beaming and bowing, Costello looked like he’d just had the best fun of his life. Well, so did a good portion of his audience.

Setlist (if you have corrections, leave them in the comments):
(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
Blue Minute
Watch Your Step
Worthless Thing
Our Little Angel
Church Underground
I Hear A Melody
Come The Meantimes
Almost Blue (on piano)
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down (on piano)
Ascension Day
Veronica
Walkin' My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
Toledo
When I Was Cruel No. 2
Watching The Detectives
Everyday I Write the Book

Pads, Paws And Claws (wth Larkin Poe)
Love Field (with Larkin Poe)
Lost on the River (with Larkin Poe)
That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving (with Larkin Poe)
Brilliant Mistake (with Larkin Poe)
Laughing At Life (with Larkin Poe)
Six Months In Kansas City (Liberty Street) (with Larkin Poe)

Pump It Up
Alison
TV Is The Thing (This Year)

Jimmie Standing In The Rain
(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? (with Larkin Poe)

For more photos from last night, see our slideshow here.

Tags: elvis costello, last night, uptown theater, concert review, Image
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

TV is the Thing (this year).. classic. Channel 11 seems like everyone should be hitting that one this weekend. Dang.
And No Coffee Table

A little bit of "Watching The Detectives" sideways: https://instagram.com/p/z5Pd5kP5XS/
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Charles Martin's photos, via f/book

Performing Toledo

Setlist photo by Lori -

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Uncomplicated

Post by Uncomplicated »

More photos.

It's in your eyes..... It's in your eyes.....
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Audio only:

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I'm sure that it's been posted, but here is DIME link, handy for tracks 26 + 31 ('Laughing at life' and 'TV is the thing' on Soulseek some UK mornings it is alleged):

http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=521111
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

17 downloads it is alleged have been made from Soulseek of these fine 2 new DPAM performings - thanks to original DIME kind sharer.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.