Elvis, solo, Boulder , CO, March 1 2015

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis, solo, Boulder , CO, March 1 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis's first show in Boulder since 1983 , besides a promo appearance in a radio station in 2002 - who's going? Also, maybe he'll cover Emmylou Harris's Boulder To Birmingham, a song about Gram Parsons - just saying.

Elvis mentioned Boulder back in 2006 -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... der#p86857

The pair bring those songs, as well as Costello's band and back catalog, to Saturday night's headlining slot at the Jazz Aspen Snowmass festival.

"I'm going to bring my iron lung with me, my altitude suit. I've managed Boulder, so I don't think it's that much higher, is it?" Costello asks of Aspen as he and Toussaint do an interview during a break in rehearsals last week.

The June 2002 radio appearance got this write up from Elvis in the online journal he briefly posted that year -

On our way out to the airport we took a detour out to Boulder to visit to a radio station and I played a couple of songs on my newly acquired Gibson J-50 – replacing one of the guitars destroyed in the recent flood at our storage facility in Dublin. The guitar sings very sweetly, I’m almost afraid to touch it as it surely contains a hatful of ballad melodies and I am enjoying playing rock and roll music again. The station had invited a number of listeners to lurk in the hallway listening on tiny speakers while I performed in a glass booth – an oddly impersonal compromise. That just about completed my perfect trip to Colorado. I came in like Mr. Waits’ “Table Top Joe” and exited as a goldfish.

A song from this , Tart, was on the Japanese edition of Cruel Smile -

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/index.php/Tart

Another song from '02 , Spooky Girlfriend , was on this limited edition cd

http://www.amazon.com/Kbco-Studio-Vol-1 ... B000MG7J0G
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis, solo, Boulder , CO, March 1 2015

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/02/2 ... me/100907/

Best Colorado shows this week: Elvis Costello, Prhyme and more

By Matt Miller | February 27th, 2015

Elvis Costello, Prhyme and more make our picks of the best Colorado shows this week. See you there, and if you don’t make it out, follow our music musings on our Twitter @RVRB and our selfies on Instagram @heyreverb.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Larkin Poe ‏@LarkinPoe · 3h3 hours ago
@BoulderTheater w/ @ElvisCostello - do you see our name on the marquee?! Tonight's show is going to BLOW MINDS.

Damian Burford ‏@DammitDamian · 5m5 minutes ago
Photo: Elvis Costello. Row seven..dream come true. Is this real life? http://tmblr.co/ZdU8Qw1emQWKG

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There's the start of a setlist at setlist.fm:

01. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
02. All These Strangers
03. Brilliant Mistake
04. ???
05. 45
06. Either Side of the Same Town
07. Mean Tmes
08. Veronica
09. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
10. The pretty ones
11. Town Cryer
12. Hope You Don't Murder Me
13. Watching the Detectives
14. Everyday I Write the Book
15. Fast Balls and Cars
16. In a Love Field
17. Accident of Chemistry
18. Indoor Fireworks
19. Nobody's Fault
20. I Got Found
21. Six Months In Kansas City
22. Pump It Up
23. This Year's Girl
24. Alison
25. Man Out Of Time
26. (What's So Funny 'bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

I assume "Mean Tmes" is "Come The Meantimes", "The pretty ones" is "Ghost Train", "Hope You Don't Murder Me" is "Wave A White Flag", "Accident of Chemistry" is "Turpentine", "Nobody's Fault" is "Blame It On Cain", and "I Got Found" is "Lost On The River #12", but I have no idea what "Fast Balls and Cars" is.

https://instagram.com/p/ztrR_1OcSb/

Last edited by And No Coffee Table on Mon Mar 02, 2015 1:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table wrote:There's the start of a setlist at setlist.fm:

14. Fast Balls and Cars
15. In a Love Field

I assume "Mean Tmes" is "Come The Meantimes", "The pretty ones" is "Ghost Train", "Hope You Don't Murder Me" is "Wave A White Flag", "Accident of Chemistry" is "Turpentine", "Nobody's Fault" is "Blame It On Cain", and "I Got Found" is "Lost On The River #12", but I have no idea what "Fast Balls and Cars" is.
I'd love to hear "Fast Balls and Cars" sung to the tune of "Pads, Paws And Claws"
And No Coffee Table

Azmuda wrote:I'd love to hear "Fast Balls and Cars" sung to the tune of "Pads, Paws And Claws"
Heh. I bet that's it.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Charles Martin's photos & comment from f/book-

Great show! He sounded wonderful and was having a blast! Larkin Poe did a short opening set, but joined him for 8 songs during his set. Including Lost on the River, Six Months In Kansas City, and Turpentine. He introduced one song, as something he had just written with Burt Bacharach, but I didn't catch the name. I did get a great shirt and the set list off the stage, which I will post later. Also, the only video I took was of Wave A White Flag. If you listen closely, you can hear me singing along in all of my glory...

ImageImage

The tv was scrolling lots of quotes, sayings, lyrics, and pictures of his family throughout the show... I had a hard time keeping up with what was scrolling by!

Setlist

T -Shirt

Ticket
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I wonder if the TV with the quotes etc was an idea nicked from U2's Zoo TV.

By the way, where's BA's song tally thread for this tour?
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Maybe Elvis is featuring data about his personal history as a lead in to promoting his memoir ? By the time it comes out later this year maybe the shows will be a mix of readings and songs.
docinwestchester

The TV projection is a very cool idea. It would be nice if EC would keep a tally of the quotes, pics, etc. and put them on his website.

(HINT...HINT...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.heyreverb.com/blog/2015/03/0 ... /100952/#1

Elvis Costello at the Boulder Theater (photos, review)

Elvis Costello kicked off his “Detour Tour” on Sunday at the Boulder Theater. This first stop in the U.S. leg sold out in only one hour. Needless to say, Coloradans have been hungry for more of the man since he’s spent limited time here in the last decade. This particular outing takes Costello through the midwest and the south as he powers through an immense set essentially by himself.

As soon as fans were finding their seats, the gigantic CRT television set on stage began looping through the videos of beloved songs from Costello’s equally gigantic catalogue. Some of the early songs shown during this preshow off of his first three releases received a collective “Aww…” sigh from the audience as they realized that he’d likely not be playing those as part of the main set. To their delight, however, Costello managed a near-30-song-long set list with room for captivating narrative. Most of his fascinating, conversational storytelling referenced his musical family ties and the impact they’ve had on his life. The theme of the show swirled around nostalgia and pride as he trotted out favorites from his long solo career and several covers, homages and hits from his many collaborations.

The main set saw Costello alone on stage switching between acoustic guitars, oscillating from ballads like “Shipbuilding” to rockers like “45,” which had a layer of extra electric guitar piped in from off stage. After sitting down, creating an even more intimate setting using only one microphone for both his voice and guitar, he played “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” before telling a fantastic story about his dad. Ross McManus died during the production of a BBC documentary on Costello (born Declan McManus). This led to Costello finding high quality archival footage of his father’s larger than life music career. In Costello’s telling, he talks about the night McManus led the Joe Loss Orchestra in a Latin dance version of “If I Had a Hammer” in front of the Queen Mother. This was the Royal Command Performance of 1963 where John Lennon said the people watching were welcome to clap along and the rich folks in the balcony were welcome to “rattle their jewelry.” Costello then played a Pub Rock song called “Ghost Train” as an example of the types of gigs in mining villages where he learned his best chops from his father.

Standing back up and strapping on the hollow body electric, Costello used a looping pedal to great effect in a long, loud version of “Watching the Detectives.” “And now I’ll play a song I hate,” he playfully riffed before starting “Every Day I Write the Book.” Here came the first set break before he brought back on Georgian sister-duo Larkin Poe to back him for seven more songs. He met the pair through industry connections, and their first real time spent together was at a recording session for the Bob Dylan archival revival project “The New Basement Tapes.” Rebecca and Megan Lovell provided great mandolin and slide guitar chops plus solid vocal harmonies that beefed up Costello’s stage sound while sometimes distracting from his spectacular lead singing voice. But Costello is nothing if not an experimental collaborator who goes to great lengths to play with musicians he respects. They ended with “Six Months in Kansas City” which is a ‘Basement Tapes’ track on which Megan’s mandolining appears.

This set break showed the actual footage of Ross McManus’ performance of “If I had a Hammer” on the big TV with no introduction. At first it was hard to tell that it wasn’t Costello himself in the video. The effect was amazing and suddenly the “screen” of the television was gone and the lights came up on Costello standing inside the box with an electric guitar behind a 1950s era microphone. Visually striking and reminiscent of his first album cover, he proceeded to knock out more hits. “Pump it Up,” “This Year’s Girl” and “Alison” brought the house down bigger than at any other moment in the show. Looking at the people in the removable Boulder Theater seats and the lone man in a cardboard box puppet show who mesmerized them solidified the feeling of grandiose awe. Elvis Costello is one of the greatest songwriters and performers that has ever lived and he is out to show that fact on this tour, the best showcase of his talent to date.

Elvis Costello at the Boulder Theater setlist:

(The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
All These Strangers
Brilliant Mistake
Watch Your Step
Either Side of the Same Town
Come the Meantimes
Shipbuilding
Song about a woman “staying with wicked men” cut from broadway musical
collaboration with Burt Baccarat based on “Painted by Memory”
Veronica
Walkin’ My Baby Back Home
Ghost Train
Town Cryer
Wave a White Flag
Watching the Detectives
Everyday I Write the Book
Pads, Paws and Claws
Love Field
Turpentine
Indoor Fireworks
Blame It on Cain
Lost on the River #12
Six Months in Kansas City
Pump It Up
This Year’s Girl
Alison
Man Out of Time
(What’s So Funny ’bout) Peace, Love and Understanding

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting. I wonder if the TV will detract people from watching the man on stage. No doubt there will be people here watching the lyrics on the screen and concentrating on working out what songs they are from. We know who you are :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

I think the TV screen is terrible. It totally would detract and distract from the onstage performance. This is supposed to be a simple show, stripped down. Not a multimedia experience.

Dave
jardine

Post by jardine »

it also has a typo!
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I think the multimedia set up is cool. Who doesn't stare at screens all day? It would cool to film the audience and see: how many are staring into their mobile device screens; how many are staring at the stage screen; how many are staring at the man and the girls playing music; and how many people are just totally lost/out of it. Could be fun to see that video. Post that shit on YouTube!

I like the TV t-shirt. I want one.

I'm sad to miss this tour. I can't bare to watch the low-budge YouTube videos that people post. I guess some idiot feels like they are capturing the best video and audio moment in row ZZZ. Lame.
docinwestchester

MOJO wrote:I can't bare to watch the low-budge YouTube videos that people post. I guess some idiot feels like they are capturing the best video and audio moment in row ZZZ. Lame.
Not always. For example, the four links above are very high quality. The filmer is in the second row, the framing and audio are excellent, and it's in HD. It doesn't replace being there, but definitely not lame.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Thanks, Doc. I guess I will take a look. It would be good if EC board folks would tag these videos when posting - high quality, mid-range, low-budge. It's saves some time on clicking. Also, I wonder if artists can take control of some of bad video posts that mispresent the artist. Ex. Like the idiots amongst the crowd of people in the back row filming from their iphone or android device. Give me a break, man. I would want control if I were the artist. So goes the wild, wild, wild internet, I guess.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

jardine wrote:it also has a typo!
More than one!
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I too, sadly, will be missing this tour. Was going to take a road trip but just couldn't work out the dates. I was hoping he would change the set lists a little more, but maybe that is to come.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
And No Coffee Table

http://www.listenupdenver.com/35929/elv ... r-theater/

Elvis Costello – March 1st – Boulder Theater
By Patty Ho
March 5, 2015

The Scene: People of all ages filed into the sold-out Boulder Theater on a frigid Sunday night to see Elvis Costello on the first stop on “Detour”, his 2015 solo tour. The variety of people represented in the audience reflected not only Costello’s undisputed legacy and longevity, but also his status as a cultural icon. For many, Costello is a touchstone through which memories and relationships can be explained and returned to once again. It’s easy to recognize this through just talking with a fan. The woman sitting next to me had become a fan through meeting her husband in 1981. Dating back to their children’s elementary school era, Costello and his concerts became part of their family culture (along with Bruce Springsteen). In fact, her husband had run home from the hospital to spell check “Alison” before naming their baby daughter. Now, tradition dictated that the family reunite once again, even if that meant flying in from different parts of the country during a snowstorm. Clearly, this was a family affair.

Opener: Larkin Poe. This may be expected on a Costello tour, but the sentiment was literally true through the opening sister act of Larkin Poe. Opening for Costello on a number of tour dates, the two sisters from Atlanta, Georgia introduced their own brand of hip Southern Rock and Blues, with the younger Rebecca Lovell on lead vocals and mandolin and Megan Lovell on slide guitar. Without a drummer or other backing instruments, their sound had a sort of hollow, Gothic tinge to it, which reminded me aesthetically of later Black Rebel Motorcycle Club, but with more of a true roots rock sound. (As it turns out, the band is named after their great-great-great-great grand father, a relative of Edgar Allan Poe.) Their songs have a frenzied, emotional quality, reflected in Rebecca Lovell’s voice as it echoed off the walls of during “Mad as a Hatter”. In matching off-white blazers and black boots, the sisters stomped, hit big notes, and energized the audience into a standing ovation by the end of their set, which included a cover of Nancy Sinatra’s “Bang Bang (he shot me down)”.

Elvis Costello: Costello, dressed in an all black three piece suit and white hat, was also in a familial kind of mood. Coming out to a stage set up of seven guitars, a grand piano, a keyboard, a bullhorn, and a giant replica of a old school CRT television, Costello went onto play an epic, just under 30 song set. Along the way, he periodically referenced pictures of his father, also a musician, his mother, and his grandfather that appeared on the television, charming the crowd with stories of times he played with his father’s band and his father performing “If I Had a Hammer” on the 1963 Royal Variety Performance broadcast. Similarly, the fully historical catalog of Costello was on display, from his acoustic version of “(The Angels Wanna Wear) My Red Shoes” from his classic debut, My Aim Is True, to presenting new material, a song with Burt Bacharach about “a girl who takes up with wicked men”, to charming the crowd with performing comically dark “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” under a prop street light.

As Costello is well into his fifth decade playing and creating music, he has an enviable zen quality to his performance, alternating between a gentle strum by thumb to striking a pose for emphasis as needed, with an occasional tip of the hat to acknowledge the crowd. But his self-assurance shouldn’t be mistaken for complacency. Proceeding with two encores, he reunited with Larkin Poe for several songs, including Larkin Poe singing “Six Months of Kansas City” while Costello riffed and sang his familiar piercing “ooohhhs.” For his second encore, Costello reappeared inside the giant television itself and thrilled the crowd by doing stripped down versions of “Pump it Up,” “Alison,” and “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding.” Hearing the depth and breadth of Costello’s music was experiencing a musical history that Costello continues to add to.

Energy: A+
Musicianship: A+
Sound: A
Stage Presence: A
Set/Light Show: A

Overall: A+

Many photos at the link.