EC solo in Sweden, September 28th 2014 - Malmö

Pretty self-explanatory
krm

EC solo in Sweden, September 28th 2014 - Malmö

Post by krm »

Last edited by krm on Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
sweetest punch

Re: EC solo in Sweden in September! Malmö and GÖteborg

Post by sweetest punch »

Two more Swedisch dates are announced:

October 4: Uppsala Konsert & Kongress ( http://www.ukk.se/ )
Tickets: http://www.ticnet.se/event/elvis-costel ... ets/316767 or http://www.ukk.se/Konserter/Kalendarium ... -Costello/

October 5: Linköping Konsert & Kongress ( http://arenabolaget.se/konsert-kongress )
Tickets: http://arenabolaget.se/en/evenemang/elvis-costello

http://www.mynewsdesk.com/se/uppsalakon ... ter-967987

Till hösten turnerar sångaren, låtskrivaren, kompositören och gitarristen Elvis Costello runt på utvalda konserthus i Europa. I Sverige spelar han i Uppsala Konsert & Kongress 4 oktober och Konsert & Kongress i Linköping 5 oktober (utöver de två redan annonserade datumen i Göteborg och Malmö).

Med denna europaturné följer Elvis Costello upp en bejublad USA-turné som han genomförde under hösten/vintern 2013. Både den amerikanska publiken och pressen var lyriska när Costello bjöd på intima solokonserter. Ensam på scen sjöng han sina starka låtar och växlade mellan att spela akustisk gitarr, elgitarr och piano. Musiktidningen The Aquarian Weekly skrev kort och gott: ”Elvis Costello doesn’t need a band”.

Under turnén bjöd showmannen Elvis Costello också på anekdoter ur sitt liv. Att han är en mästare på att berätta även utan musik vet alla som sett hans TV-program Spectacle – där han samtalat och spelat tillsammans med en lång rad stjärnor som bland annat Bruce Springsteen och Bill Clinton.
-----------------------

Google translation:
This fall touring singer, songwriter , composer and guitarist Elvis Costello around at selected concert halls in Europe. In Sweden , he plays in Uppsala Concert & Congress October 4 and Concert Hall in Linköping October 5 (in addition to the two already announced dates in Gothenburg and Malmö ) .

With this European tour follows Elvis Costello up a highly acclaimed U.S. tour which he undertook in the fall / winter of 2013. Both the American public and the press were lyrical when Costello offered intimate solo concerts . Alone on stage , he sang his strong songs and alternated between playing acoustic guitar, electric guitar and piano. Music magazine The Aquarian Weekly wrote shortly: " Elvis Costello does not need a band ."

During the tour offered show the man Elvis Costello also on anecdotes from his life. That he is a master at telling even without music all know who has seen his television program Spectacle - where he talked and played with a long list of stars including Bruce Springsteen and Bill Clinton.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
krm

Post by krm »

Malmö sorted!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

:D good news Kjell
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
krm

Post by krm »

I am! at least to Malmö! I will also go to Randers in Denmark and Hamburg later on
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Out of tidiness sake , let's designate this as the 'Malmo' thread , alright? Maybe KRM could edit in a more specific title , something like ' Elvis , solo, Malmo, Sept. 28th 2014'.
krm

Post by krm »

johnfoyle wrote:Out of tidiness sake , let's designate this as the 'Malmo' thread , alright? Maybe KRM could edit in a more specific title , something like ' Elvis , solo, Malmo, Sept. 28th 2014'.
Done!
krm

Re: EC solo in Sweden, September 28th 2014 - Malmö

Post by krm »

Malmö Setlist;

Jack of all Parades
Either side of same town
Veronica
Poison Moon
Brilliant Mistake
Ascension day
Poor Napoleon
Station of the Cross/Viceroys row
Everyday I write the book
The Comedians
Walking my baby back home
Ghost Train
Town Cryer
Wave a white flag
She
Watching the Detectives
Alison
Come Meantimes
High Fidelity
Anna (go to him) - Arthur Alexander song
Oliver´s Army
Shipbuilding
Slow Drag with Josephine
Church Underground
Man out of time
Jimmy standing in the rain/Brother can you spare a dime
Peace Love and Understanding

Personal faves;Station of the cross, Town cryer, Anna and Church underground. Josephine was not so slow as he rushed through it. Maybe he should have called "A drag with Josephine" instead. Man out of time sounded not so great.
I had a great evening!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.sydsvenskan.se/kultur--nojen ... -register/

Photos Patrick Persson

Elvis Costello played his entire registry

Published September 29, 2014 00:10

TEXT: HÅKAN ENGSTRÖM

When the audience streams their music for a pittance, and therefore touring become most artists' primary source of income, many look to maximize their revenue by letting fellow musicians stay home. Usually it is a low-cost solution, and it shows - also known as singer-songwriters need backing and assistance from others to the point of the songs will come up. That alone will draw many of these artists right grind.

Elvis Costello is different, and it's not just about his versatility and the empathy he almost always invest in their performances. In particular, it falls back to the songs as such, if the superb craftsmanship. He writes real songs, not just throwing out air mattresses to keep his important poetry flowing. The melodies are almost consistently strong and demonstrates time and again Costello's ingenuity, but equally important is how he builds his songs harmoniously and how he is looking to create its variation in the actual composition. Sound, klanglek and production may amplify everything, but actually counterproductive.

Therefore, it is such a delight to meet one man band Costello. Song structures are exposed, and often prove to be more refined than what is seen in the recordings which sometimes is a bit cluttered and overworked. You discover new things that have been hidden.

In just over two hours in the concert hall, he pulled through nearly 30 of his songs, complemented by loans from all goods from Nat King Cole and Arthur Alexander to Neil Young. Oh yes: he began his "Town Cryer" with a vanishingly short snippet of Young's "Love In Mind", perhaps to demonstrate that even his songs sometimes ordinary right: Neil Young has gone down this road a thousand times, and often better.

But the examples of brilliant pop song designed area was more. "Church Underground", from 2010's "National Ransom," was never like this crystal clear in the studio version. The way he built up "Poor Napoleon" is ingeniously cruel, and with its balanced vocal attack, he saw that every slight variation had the intended effect and took the song to the next step. And so we had the "Veronica" - written by Paul McCartney, possibly in a kind of mutual smart safety contest - with tempo shifts and modulations en masse.

Costello went out a little rushed with the rarely played "Jack of All Parades," but soon found a tone that worked in the verge of sold-out venue. Mellansnackens anecdotes and snappy comments were amusing and amazing turns. The only thing that really worked was his new box of effects boxes, which he tried to make friends with when he looped his electric guitar. It was thickly.

But he sang superbly almost through the evening: from whispers to soul tinted falsettjut, from singing to fierce attack; voice sounded hilarious and dejected about every other field, to the songs demanded. Vibrato is, he has commendably toned down.

Other highlights? "Shipbuilding", the only song on the piano. "Stations of the Cross", one of those who never really sunk into the public consciousness. "Oliver's Army", the hard stop.
well as, eventually, his evergreen "Alison" that for a long time suffered for the singer's desire to renew the rhythm and melody. But instead he challenged himself by leaving the mic and sing right out over the edge of the stage. Faced with a silent listening audience that took in every breath and nuance he devoutly sang beautifully and sounded very very sad.
krm

Post by krm »

The review in Sydsvenskan had actually four pictures and I think it is appropriate to include the fourth one as well. Mainly because yours truly is pictured here. Obviously the photographer showed very good taste!
Attachments
ec i malmö.jpg
ec i malmö.jpg (25.51 KiB) Viewed 20125 times
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great !
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Anyone please got a link etc to EC doing 'Anna' for 2nd time since last year @ Brighton (still have not heard it/no-one is sharing DPAM doin' 'Anna').

Thanks.
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
krm

Post by krm »

charliestumpy wrote:Anyone please got a link etc to EC doing 'Anna' for 2nd time since last year @ Brighton (still have not heard it/no-one is sharing DPAM doin' 'Anna').

Thanks.
I have a feeling that the whole show might be able on dime soon......
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

:wink:
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Ta for reply/info re show soon to appear maybe on Dime - I keep looking/sharing ...
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

... still no sign of any torrent etc-YouTube-Soulseek including EC doing 'Anna' from 2013 or 2014 ....

My 'Dime'ratio now is up past 4 ...

Bob Dylan 2013-07-14 Clarkston '1952 Vincent Black Lightning' 1st-last-timer still never recorded-shared ...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Seems like someone recorded this...
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

*cough*
*dime*
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

charliestumpy wrote:Anyone please got a link etc to EC doing 'Anna' for 2nd time since last year @ Brighton (still have not heard it/no-one is sharing DPAM doin' 'Anna').

Thanks.
Here's the recent recording, which I remastered a bit:

charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks for the 'Anna' etc input - I note that the torrent kindly appeared on dime yesterday ...

Lovely.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Review by Hannes Grönberg in Halsingborgs Dagblad on 29 September 2014:

Costello utan kläder

Att Elvis Costello hör till rockens stora låtskrivare är ett faktum som vid det här laget inte längre behöver diskuteras. Men är han den sortens låtskrivare som man helst av allt möter i en riktigt intim miljö? Gärna ensam med en akustisk gitarr, så att så lite som möjligt distraherar ifrån rösten och sångerna?

Jag skulle vänligt men bestämt svara nej på den frågan.

Inte för att Costellos melodier brister i kvalitet – det gör de mycket sällan – utan för att de är anpassade för en helt annan sorts framförande. Hans klassiska skivor från slutet av 70-talet får sitt driv från ett mer eller mindre perfekt rockband och de steg framåt han har tagit sen dess har i regel handlat om att växa genom samarbete.

Men till Malmö kommer han helt ensam, utan någon som hjälper till att rikta rätt ljus mot hans osnutna sångstil.

Det är ett upplägg som har sina fördelar. Stämningen är uppsluppen och opretentiös och friheten i låtvalen ger kvällen en varm och spontan entusiasm – som om vi lika gärna hade kunnat se honom på en trång pub som på konserthusets stora scen.

När Costello under två timmar lämnar över sina idéer på enklast möjliga vis är det också omöjligt att inte imponeras över bredden och djupet i hans enorma låtkatalog, över hur han rör sig från jazz till punk som om Nat King Cole och Johnny Rotten hade varit bästa vänner.

Han är en intelligent och varierad låtskrivare som söker mer oväntade vägar än vad ensamma män med gitarrer normalt sett vågar sig ut på. Gråtmildheten i en publikfavorit som ”She” är ovanlig och en söt klassiker som ”Walkin' my baby back home” kan han inte sjunga utan att förklara att han ser den som en låt med dolda avsikter.

Men bortsett från den rent ekonomiska aspekten vinner han mycket lite på att klä av sin musik så här naken. Hur mycket energi han än harvar fram i ”Oliver's army” är det omöjligt att inte sakna pianoslingan som en gång gjorde låten till en hit.

I kväll får vi bara höra budgetversionen av Costellos konstnärskap. Nästa gång vill jag se honom med de vänner han förtjänar.

Elvis Costello
Malmö konserthus
Söndag 29 september
Rock
Betyg: 3

Or in "English" via Google Translate:

Costello without clothes

Elvis Costello is one of rock's great songwriter is a fact that by now no longer need to be discussed. But is he the kind of songwriter that one most of all face in a really intimate setting? Gladly alone with an acoustic guitar, so that as little as possible to distract from her voice and songs?

I would politely but firmly say no to that question.

Not that Costello songs deficiencies in quality - they do very rarely - but because they are designed for a completely different kind of performance. His classic CDs from the late 70's gets its power from a more or less perfect rock band and the step he has taken since then have generally been about to grow through collaboration.

But to Malmö, he completely alone, without any help direct the right light against his osnutna vocal style.

It is an approach that has its benefits. The atmosphere is relaxed and the unpretentious and freedom in låtvalen give the evening a warm and spontaneous enthusiasm - as if we might as well had been able to see him in a crowded pub in the concert hall's main stage.

When Costello for two hours handing over their ideas in the simplest possible way, it is also impossible not to be impressed by the breadth and depth of his huge song catalogue, how he moves from jazz to punk like Nat King Cole and Johnny Rotten had been best friends .

He is an intelligent and varied songwriters seeking more unexpected ways than single men with guitars normally venture onto. Maudlin unit in a crowd favorite as " She "is unusual and a sweet classics like" Walkin 'My Baby Back Home ", he can not sing without explaining that he sees it as a song with a hidden agenda.

But apart from the purely economic aspect he wins very little to undress her music so here naked. How much energy he harrows up in " Oliver's Army "it is impossible not to miss the piano loop that once made ​​the song a hit.

In the evening, we only get to hear the budget version of Costello's oeuvre. Next time I want to see him with the friends he deserves.

Elvis Costello
Malmo Concert
Sunday, September 29
Rock
Rating: 3

MOOT