EC and Imposters Seattle (Bumbershoot) August 30, 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Re: EC and Imposters Seattle (Bumbershoot) August 30, 2014

Post by verbal gymnastics »

bronxapostle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:My new haunt 8)

One for ba's list I think.
hey VG! if you mean my ongoing 1500 songs live list, NOPE! can't add it there: I SAW ITS FANTASTIC LIVE DEBUT 11-27-2013. :lol:
Nope - I mean the 2014 song tally. :)
bronxapostle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Ba - if we want to talk stellar songs then I have three words for you my friend...

All
The
Rage.
i can NOT disagree on the ALL THE RAGE sentiment. my first in Cleveland 6-2-1994 was one of the single best EVER songs i have seen him play.
Don't make me repeat my Brighton story :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:My new haunt 8)

One for ba's list I think.
hey VG! if you mean my ongoing 1500 songs live list, NOPE! can't add it there: I SAW ITS FANTASTIC LIVE DEBUT 11-27-2013. :lol:
Nope - I mean the 2014 song tally. :)
bronxapostle wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:Ba - if we want to talk stellar songs then I have three words for you my friend...

All
The
Rage.
i can NOT disagree on the ALL THE RAGE sentiment. my first in Cleveland 6-2-1994 was one of the single best EVER songs i have seen him play.

2014 tally is for SOLO shows only AND yes most of us know & love the Brighton story, but give it a quick recap for those who don't! :wink:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
Bronxapostle wrote:...yes most of us know & love the Brighton story, but give it a quick recap for those who don't! :wink:

:lol: A quick recap wouldn't do it justice. It'll have to be the whole story I'm afraid :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.seattleweekly.com/music/9544 ... llo-reigns

Elvis Costello, as ever, was in top form for his main stage performance. Goofy to the end and talent to spare. Photo by Morgen Schuler

Bumbershoot Saturday: King of Mystery Elvis Costello Reigns

By Gwendolyn Elliott

Tue., Sep 2 2014

Red feather in an electric blue fedora, bright magenta blazer: Details of style are not lost on Elvis Costello, who headlined Bumbershoot’s mainstage just a few minutes early of his 6:15 p.m. set time on Saturday. Known for his trademark black-rimmed glasses and mod, tailored suits, the veteran songwriter, who turned 60 just days before, takes a similar approach to his songwriting, a carefully-worded lyric-lover’s diamond mine many fans in attendance clearly knew by heart as they sang along.

What was noteworthy was the evening’s set list. Perhaps that’s just the weight of Costello’s five decade-spanning catalog—songs of complicated romance and socio-political anthems in equal parts—but if there was an underlying theme, it was the world’s fractured, imbalanced state, from first song, “Brilliant Mistake,” with its mention of some disillusioned “King of America” and the “boulevard of broken dreams,” to “Bedlam,” about the Bush administration, to one of Costello’s biggest hits, ”Watching the Detectives,” with its message of ennui and apathy, re: “She’s filing her nails while they’re dragging the lake.”

Costello’s use of double-entendre is well-documented, so there’s always the question of what really inspired the song. Still, in light of particularly tense race relations at the moment, I couldn’t help but cringe waiting for the lyric “white nigger” which was delivered uncensored, along with the song’s references to Palestine and Johannesburg in “Oliver’s Army.” The tone was particularly raw, especially as Costello and band reeled through the number—supposedly about boy soldiers in Northern Ireland—without flinching.

The unerring attitude was bolstered by two-thirds of Costello’s original band the Attractions—Steve Nieve, keys, Pete Thomas, drums—who have been playing these songs for years and who the frontman introduced twice, at the top of the set and towards the end (Davey Faragher rounded out the ensemble on bass). Every man was on his game, and I lost count of how many guitars Costello played. He was really feeling it, it seemed, going so far as to usurp the iconic key solo on “Clubland” for his own distorted, grinding guitar interlude.

Then there was “(What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding,” one of Costello’s corniest songs, (hmm..JF) but within the context had its role to play, especially since it was sandwiched between “Radio Radio” (“They say you better listen to the voice of reason/But they don’t give you any choice ‘cause they think that it’s treason”) and “Pump It Up.” To me, it was a carefully selected trio that spoke volumes about propaganda, brotherhood, and solidarity (respectively).

That’s just my read, of course. Costello gave little else away, save for some banter about the weather, and breezed through the set letting the music do the talking. Yet for all the attention to detail—virtuosic guitar skills, unparalleled band, that voice—you have to listen between the lyrics. For such a curator of aesthetics, there’s a lot going on there, too.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

Some more vids:

Radio, Radio: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3eETuGczF5U

Chelsea: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4MILfbROWqs

PLU: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_kfo03fsIY

It was definitely a 'greatest hits' show. Not a lot to go nuts over for someone like me who has seen him a whopping six times. :lol: I know that's piddly to most of you (I really started catching on when I was 18, around the time of When I Was Cruel), but having gotten to see him on the North tour, solo at a previous Bumbershoot, with Allen, and now 3 times with the Imposters (once with the wheel), I've seen plenty of variety and am always hoping for deeper cuts. That being said, it was my sister's first time seeing him, as I got her into Elvis a few years back as she grew out of her Blink 182 phase, it was kind of a perfect show for her. Got to see him play all of the bigger, catchier songs that she knows the best. Elvis and the band were in great form, and he was great at pumping up a festival audience who sometimes got confused when he asked them to sing along to parts of songs they weren't too familiar with.

Also, the Replacements were unbelievable, even if it's really only half of the band.

There was a whole lot of artists I wasn't familiar with, some others I had cursory interest in. I really liked what I saw of the show from The Both (Aimee Mann and Ted Leo), so I'll need to dig into that record. I was already a big Ted Leo fan, and if you haven't, you should check out his work. Maybe start with "Where Have All the Rude Boys Gone?" A bemoaning of the state of music (in 2003 haha) and a longing for the days of The Specials, so there's some Elvis related interest there.

Always glad to have something to say around here. I've been lurking for so long now!