Elvis Costello Solo Carnegie Hall June 24/25

Pretty self-explanatory
Eugene

Re: Elvis Costello Solo Carnegie Hall June 24/25

Post by Eugene »

Hopefully, tonight will be Morristown 2 revisited.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Eugene wrote:Hopefully, tonight will be Morristown 2 revisited.

great idea...i'll settle for 1/2 THAT lucky!! :wink: :wink:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

bronxapostle wrote:sad to report: inexplicable oddball SONY malfunction leaves me w/o NEW AMSTERDAM/HIDE LOVE AWAY. strange indeed as weirdly NOT there! :shock: i only got through first side of cassette one, so i hope that is the only problem. :cry:
well, more bad news...lots of little blips (momentary pauses..no real songs missing since the two mentioned earlier) but, we analog fans are DEFINITELY blue about this. maybe i was holding it like i held my oldie? i'll recall and try for better later. send good vibes please. :cry:
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Miclewis wrote:I feel that I should defend "The Last Year of My Youth" from last night.

I thought it was a little "catchier" musically than the Letterman version. Plus I can't be sure, but. i think he tightened up the lyrics a little.

I definitely had a stronger opinion of the song last night. I apparently wasn't alone since many others stood up in applause.

I saw firsthand the acoustic version at the Ryman and have to say I much prefer the electric Letterman version as someone earlier said. Even though the Letterman version seemed like it could use some more practice.

I did like the live Come the Meantimes version at the Ryman better than the album version. But hell, I loved most of these new live versions with their unique twists.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Emotional Toothpaste wrote:
Miclewis wrote:I feel that I should defend "The Last Year of My Youth" from last night.

I thought it was a little "catchier" musically than the Letterman version. Plus I can't be sure, but. i think he tightened up the lyrics a little.

I definitely had a stronger opinion of the song last night. I apparently wasn't alone since many others stood up in applause.

I saw firsthand the acoustic version at the Ryman and have to say I much prefer the electric Letterman version as someone earlier said. Even though the Letterman version seemed like it could use some more practice.

I did like the live Come the Meantimes version at the Ryman better than the album version. But hell, I loved most of these new live versions with their unique twists.

that's me ET! PLAY THAT ORIGINAL TAKE OF THE SONG THAT THESE SHOWS ARE NAMED FOR TONIGHT PLEASE MR. COSTELLO!! 8)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/review ... aim-714868

Elvis Costello's Aim Remains True: Concert Review

The Bottom Line: the wide breadth of Costello's songwriting talent is on ample display in this evening, which is sure to thrill his ardent fans.

The venerable singer-songwriter delves into his deep catalog in this career-spanning solo show.

Elvis Costello’s solo show at Carnegie Hall was seemingly designed to separate the casual fans from the ardent true believers. Accompanying himself on guitar and keyboard, the venerable rocker delivered a two-and-a-half hour set that, while it offered a few of his familiar hits, so extensively mined his prodigious catalog that the evening resembled an archaelogical dig. Performing songs dating as far back as his 1977 debut album My Aim is True to one written just a few weeks ago, he dazzlingly demonstrated the incredible stylistic breadth of his songwriting. It was simultaneously exhilarating and exhausting, with more than a few audience members departing before it was over.

Despite his early pronouncement that “the theme of the evening will be love and deceit,” Costello wandered into wide-ranging territory throughout the lengthy evening, frequently introducing his numbers with anecdotes both heartfelt and jokey. He movingly paid tribute to his father and grandfather, both musicians themselves, with such songs as “Jimmie Standing in the Rain” (featuring a tenderly sung interpolation of the Depression-era standard “Brother Can You Spare a Dime?”) and “Last Boat Leaving,” as well as his grandmother with his hit song “Veronica.”

“You’ll get to meet the whole family tonight,” he joked.

His comments were frequently amusingly self-deprecating. He introduced “Poison Moon,” an outtake from his debut album, by noting that it was the first song of his that he heard on the radio. “Scared the hell out of me…I thought I sounded like a cross between Frankie Valli and Tiny Tim.” He announced, “I’m going to play a song now that I really hate…I wrote it in 10 minutes, and it was a hit” before launching into a starkly impassioned version of “Everyday I Write the Book” that belied his introduction.

He frequently infused his own songs with revelatory, ingeniously arranged covers, including the Beatles’ “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” on “New Amsterdam,” Al Green’s “Here I Am (Come and Take Me)” on “Shabby Doll,” “I Say a Little Prayer” on “I Want You” and Neil Young’s “Love in Mind” on “Town Cryer.”

He showcased his virtuosity on guitar in arrangements that generally veered wildly from the original versions. Alternating between acoustic and electric instruments, he added swirling loops to “Watching the Detectives” and concluded “I Want You” with a lengthy, feedback-drenched solo.

More ruminative songs like “Shipbuilding” and the jazz ballad “Almost Blue” featured sterling keyboard playing, while “A Slow Drag with Josephine” included a lengthy whistling interlude. Demonstrating the venue’s sterling acoustics, he frequently wandered away from the microphone to sing without amplification. The stripped-down versions served to accentuate the lyrical brilliance of his songwriting, even if his nasal vocals weren’t always fully intelligible (his occasional launches into falsetto provided welcome diversions).

The newest song featured, “The Last Year of My Youth,” was hurriedly composed earlier this month when he was asked to be a last-minute replacement for an ailing Lana Del Rey on the Late Show with David Letterman. (“Heaven knows, when you think of Lana Del Rey, you think of me,” he joked.) Featuring incisive lyrics about the vicissitudes of aging, it was sung here with an entirely different melody.

By the time the lengthy evening ended on a jubilant note with (“What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding?” — even this ever-adventurous performer didn’t stray too far from the familiar version for that one — the audience had been fully exposed to the depths of Costello’s talents. Well, not completely, since he’s promised that the set list will vary from show to show.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.showbiz411.com/2014/06/25/el ... h-birthday

Elvis Costello Makes Carnegie Hall Debut On Eve of 60th Birthday

It’s hard to believe, but rocker-troubadour composer Elvis Costello turns 60 in August. He was once the Angry Young Man of punk rock, making his debut in 1977 with “Alison” and “Watching the Detectives.” He had on air scuffle with “Saturday Night Live,” an unfortunate incident in which he slagged off Ray Charles, and was just a trouble maker. We loved him, and he made wonderful, inventive records.

So 37 years seem to have passed very quickly. And here is Elvis (real name Declan McManus) at Carnegie Hall for the first of two shows. In those years he revealed himself as a passionate musical anthropologist and archivist, whose tastes ran from R&B to country to opera to classical music. He turned what had been a limited voice into a defining instrument that has lasted and grown richer.

The Carnegie Hall gig was solo, no group– no Attractions or Imposters or keyboardist Steve Nieve. It was Costello Unplugged, just accompanying himself on guitar or his own keyboard, for two hours and forty minutes. It was kind of mesmerizing and brilliant. Could the show have been shorter? Sure. But why would you want it to be? Costello is so engaging on stage that between the numerous songs there’s lots of interesting patter, info, and the news that his life now is “awesome.”

Costello weaves his own songs in and out of mini tributes to other musicians. He saluted Teenie Hodges, who just passed away, with a snippet of Al Green’s “Here I Am (Come and Take Me).” The Beatles are given a nod with “You’ve Got to Hide Your Love Away” during Elvis’s own classic “New Amsterdam.” Bob Dylan is cited with a bit of “Time Out of Mind” before Costello delivers a somber version of his almost never heard “Town Cryer.”

He mixes in hits, even though you know he’d rather not. Last night we got “Everyday I Write the Book,” introduced as a song he “hates” but it was “a minor hit.” It’s a great record and a clever song. “Alison,” “Detectives,” “Veronica” were all there. Three songs came from Costello’s best album, “Imperial Bedroom”– “Cryer,” “Beyond Belief,” “Man out of Time.” He also resurrects his song, less well known songs. (See “Come the Meantimes,” a gem.)

There was a surprise addition, not on the set list I swiped later: “Less than Zero,” a song that was misunderstood in the US in 1977 because people thought it was about Lee Harvey Oswald. It was about Sir Oswald Mosely, founder of the British Union of Fascists. It caused Costello to be banned from “Saturday Night Live” (long story) for 22 years. Playing it was a nice bit of closure, as the audience sang along, unaware of the trouble it caused.

The show closed with Nick Lowe’s “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding.” Costello was just on guitar, and you could close your eyes and imagine the pounding drums that usually punctuate this anthem. It was almost 3 hours since he’d begun, and Costello looked like he was just warming up.

I’ve been in this cult since 1977, so I’m sold. It’s been absolutely fascinating watching the evolution of an artist. And he is one of the last (including Sting and a few others) whose musical roots go back through jazz, vaudeville, show tunes, to forge complex new ideas. Let’s enjoy these guys while we can.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Couple photos from last night.
Attachments
20140624_223642.jpg
20140624_223642.jpg (143.33 KiB) Viewed 28455 times
20140624_224451.jpg
20140624_224451.jpg (220 KiB) Viewed 28455 times
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Elvis has tweeted

"I'm playing all the right notes - but not necessarily in the right order at Carnegie"

Can't wait to hear the story/stories behind this!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

JohnO says on Facebook that night 2 has opened with the first four songs from My Aim Is True.

Two short videos of "Welcome To The Working Week":
http://instagram.com/p/pr9fIUHqkK/
http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=10204301335638614

Upside-down photo of the stage setlist:

"Tommy's Coming Home"?!
jmm

Post by jmm »

Tommy was a debut performance of a song he wrote with sir Paul

Quite a few on the set list not performed and others not on the list that were played

More later
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Wow. That is a set list worthy of Carnegie Hall.
And No Coffee Table

Setlist thanks to JohnO (I'm sure bronxapostle will add the snippets):

01. Welcome To The Working Week
02. Miracle Man
03. No Dancing
04. Blame It On Cain
05. Alison
06. Sneaky Feelings
07. Watch Your Step
08. Cheap Reward
09. Stranger In The House
10. Blue Chair
11. Ascension Day
12. I'll Wear It Proudly
13. Tommy's Coming Home
14. Everyday I Write The Book
15. The Comedians
16. Walkin' My Baby Back Home
17. Wave A White Flag
18. Toledo
19. Ghost Train
20. Beyond Belief
21. 45
22. Green Shirt
23. Come The Meantimes
24. So Like Candy
25. After The Fall
26. Watching The Detectives
27. Riot Act
Encore
28. A Voice In The Dark
29. My Three Sons
30. Man Out Of Time
31. Suit Of Lights
32. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
33. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Encore
34. Radio Soul
35. For The Stars - on keyboard
36. Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4 - on keyboard
37. The Last Year Of My Youth
38. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

BA must be happy, it was the original Letterman/electric version of LYOMY!

What a show!!!!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

WOW!

An amazing show
2 hr 49 min

Tommy's Coming Home live premiere after 27 years
The Comedians
Side 1 of MAIT in order
CCIU #4
For The Stars
A Voice in the Dark
suit of Lights
Riot Act
Stranger in the House
Wave a White Flag
Cheap reward

Two hour main set

One of the most memorable shows I've seen him do

Whew

Dave
Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Thu Jun 26, 2014 12:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Only two snippets I can add:

Pennies from Heaven intro'd a Voice in the Dark, and
Jimmy ended with Brother Can You Spare a Dime (off mike)
Arbogast

Post by Arbogast »

Last night was good...but tonight was, just, WOW. One of the best times I've ever seen him. Blown away!
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Quite a night for me, this was my 31st show and I got 6 songs I never heard him play live before! 7 if you include the electric version of Last Year of My Youth.

Elvis, if you ever read this, THANK YOU! This was an amazing and memorable show!!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stricttime81 wrote:Only two snippets I can add:

Pennies from Heaven intro'd a Voice in the Dark, and
Jimmy ended with Brother Can You Spare a Dime (off mike)
and i'll add another: CARAVAN. makes my totals 41 tonight; 30 NOT performed last night. tonight 10 times better than last night! WOW!!!
And No Coffee Table

Did he say anything about "Tommy's Coming Home"?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

a lot...that he wrote it with Macca..blah, blah, blah. he said he never played it on stage. LOVE that song and all the others NEVER released.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Did he say anything about "Tommy's Coming Home"?
He said he wanted to play a song he had never played onstage before , one he wrote with Paul McCartney.. He said when he was a kid they had sheet music for the old wartime songs like It's A Long Way to Tipperary and such..he and Paul wanted to write something about a war widow on a train or the body of the soldier on the train... Something like that..

Dave
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

What? That set list is out of control. Hope everyone enjoyed every moment. BA? (peace by the way. keep that in mind)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Did he say anything about "Tommy's Coming Home"?

Eugene

Post by Eugene »

Once again, Lisa has a "conversation" with Elvis and gets her requested "So Like Candy" played. :lol:

Great show; blew Tuesday away.