Elvis plays Kew The Music, London, July 2014

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis plays Kew The Music, London, July 2014

Post by Man out of Time »

Kew Gardens in West London hosts an annual music festival called "Kew the Music". It will take place from Wednesday 16 - Sunday 20 July this year.

According to Horticulture Week (first for EC touring news), the festival this year will feature EC and Simple Minds (presumably on different evenings). Tickets from around £35-£40 depending on show. The venue is outdoors somewhere in the Gardens.

"Kew Gardens is to host a medicinal plants festival from 24 May until 7 September 2014.

"Nature’s pharmacy" will include "some of the most dangerous plants in the world".

The displays will include planted medicinal art installations, digital experiences, a deadly poisons trail and 'lost apothecary', the festival.

Meanwhile Roald Dahl’s children's story Charlie and the Chocolate Factory will be brought to life at Kew for Easter 2014 (5 – 21 April 2014) to celebrate 50 years of Charlie and Willy Wonka in partnership with the Roald Dahl Museum and Story Centre.

Kew's Orchid festival will be in the Princess of Wales Conservatory from 8 February to 9 March 2014.

Kew the Music will feature Elvis Costello and Simple Minds.

http://www.hortweek.com/Parks_and_garde ... festivals/

EC plays Bexhill on 17 July, which leaves four other potential dates for Kew. You read it here first....

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis plays Kew The Music, London, July 2014

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Interesting. No doubt Good Year for the Roses will be played...

I like that so far there are two venues Elvis has never played.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Interesting. No doubt Good Year for the Roses will be played...

I like that so far there are two venues Elvis has never played.

that was one of the BEST parts about the November solo tour!!!
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Hopefully he heads up to Scotland in July as it would be great for some really random venues to appear on the schedule........
krm

Post by krm »

Scotland in July would fit my holiday plans as well.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

If I'm reading google maps correctly, this gig in Kew Gardens is about 2 miles from where he played his first solo gig in 1969.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _July_1989
Which club was this where you played in public for the first time?

That was the Crypt at St. Elizabeth's in Richmond, which was a well-established folk club. I used to go every week whether or not I played. I was just about turning 16 when I moved to Liverpool. It's funny - I'd completely forgotten this division there was at the time. Demon have just released a couple of compilations of early '60s guitar stuff... a couple of John Renbourn albums and things. I'm actually a little bit young to have been a fan of that kind of scene... they were the established heads that you didn't really see in the clubs - they'd already graduated to playing the Albert Hall before I started going to folk clubs. But you did have the Ewan MacColls coming around. I'd forgotten about this division between the two sides until somebody mentioned it on the sleeve notes to one of these records. It was like the trad. v. contemporary thing, I'd forgotten about all that.

So I had a traumatic first appearance with this old bloke falling asleep, or pretending to fall asleep during my song - as you can imagine, that was pretty crushing. But apart from that I was fortunate because I got to see some really good people. It was very open. I didn't go to that many clubs but you could get to see somebody like Noel Murphy, Tir Na Nog, Mike Maran, Sam Mitchell, Jo Ann Kelly, Mike Oldfield and his sister, The Sallyangie. If you played acoustic guitar you could basically get up there. This was all one summer - I had a great summer. I played when they let me and I made my first faltering steps - and then I moved to Liverpool.
Deportee

Post by Deportee »

Just got this....

Kew the Music 2014 Priority Booking

Kew the Music is back this year with some household name stars and a brand new look.

The dates of the festival are 16-20 July 2014. We are just putting the finishing touches to the line-up and will be in touch shortly to announce who is playing.

We think you’re going to be excited by the line-up, there are some old friends returning and some brand new acts for Kew as well.

Check your in-box for our next email, which will contain your Priority Booking Code.

Priority booking opens at 9am on Wednesday 29 January. Do put the date in your diary as we expect tickets to be very popular.
Members of the Friends of Kew get an exclusive 48 hour priority booking slot from the 27 January. Find out how to become a Friend of Kew to benefit from this and more.

Click here to sign up for updates from Kew the Music http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/wh ... /index.htm
Partick Thistle - The Greatest Thing
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
verbal gymnastics

I received an email saying tickets are priced from £43.50.

By the time you add everything else that will be £50. At least.
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Anuone got a priority code for this, as I not have received anything by mail or tweet
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Better late than never it arrived. £50.00 and no seat a bargain NOT
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

All booked !
Word of warning to all because first time I phoned the number on the Kew website , giving the correct date and artist ,the woman offered me row E. I said haven't you got anything nearer the front and she said "ticketmaster or someone has probably got those". I said that I'd leave it and have a look round. I then found the site map for the venue and couldn't make head nor tail of it. So I phoned the Kew number again, which turns out to be See tickets and again I was offered ( by a bloke this time) a seat. When I queried it, it turns out both he and the woman were trying to sell me a ticket for Bexhill on the next night WHICH I'VE ALREADY GOT ! Finally I ascertained that there is a standing section at the front ( or as it says on the map ....."dancing section" ! ! ! ) so got one of those for £52.50.
The only problem now is that I don't know what dance I'm going to do ! :lol:
( maybe it'll have to be a mystery ! :wink: )
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Does anyone else need a priority code? I have one but will not be buying tickets until 7th Feb when I get paid.

Sorry Bradwell nothing personal didn't see you request at the time.
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

That's ok cheers .

A general picnic area ticket @ £43.50. gets you into the dance area , confirmed by Kew by tweeter.
verbal gymnastics

I'm tempted to get the unreserved dancing area ticket with the deluxe meat picnic :lol:
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

You should be tempted, I remember the picnic me and the missus had before EC & AT at The Tower of London a few years back very nice

Not sure what other food will be on offer if any, or if you can bring your own sure you can.

I'm flying solo so will eat before, but I could cellotape some slices of bread to small of my back if you have any meat left.

Sure Bexhill won't be as stiff

And where the hell are some more dates
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Got my tickets for Kew.

They do not go on general sale until Monday.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I'm tempted to get the unreserved dancing area ticket with the deluxe meat picnic :lol:

sounds delightful AND delicious. glad OUR veggie singer is NOT as "meat is murder" minded as mr. morrissey who bans the sale of burgers etc. at his shows. as an aside, mrs apostle and her newly vegetarian lifestyle is bringing me down. :roll:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I'm going to this, thanks to MOOT & his gardening connections :D
verbal gymnastics

What's the capacity for these gigs?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

About 300 acres :wink:
verbal gymnastics

:lol: That should give me enough room to express myself through the medium of dance. That's enough room for my flailing arms and legs.

I'm now wondering how many people will be allowed to the show.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Ha!

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Good recovery!

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

There will be two opening acts: The MacManus Brothers and Larkin Poe.

http://www.kew.org/visit-kew-gardens/wh ... s-costello
http://twitter.com/LarkinPoe/status/482277186486157312

5.45pm - access for disabled guests
6pm - general admissions
6.40pm - supporting artist
7.30pm - special guest artist
8.40pm - headline artist
10.15pm - music finishes with a spectacular firework finale