johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters, Tokyo , Dec 12 '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone going?
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis & The Imposters, Tokyo , Dec 12 '13

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From Ian on Facebook:

And now, the set list for Night Two. Not quite sure of the sequence around Shipbuilding

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Ex Theatre, Roppongi, Tokyo

12 December 2013 Spinning Songbook Show

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City
Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

Spin 1: Girl Bonus
This Year's Girl
Party Girl
girls Talk
Girl

Come the Meantimes

Spin 2: She

Spin 3: Monkey To Man

Tokyo Storm Warning
Alison > The Wind Cries Mary > Somewhere Over the Rainbow > There's A Place For Us

Double Spin
Spin 4: God GiVe Me Strength
Spin 5: Accidents Will Happen (deferred)

Spin 6: Tokyo Storm Warning. Respin: New Lace Sleeves

Accidents Will Happen (thought this might be the end of the set)
Walk Us Uptown
I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea

Encore 1:
Ascension Day
Good Year For the Roses
Suit of Lights
Slow drag for Josephine
Shipbuilding (not quite sure of sequence here)
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Viceroys Row
Oliver's Army
Peace Love & Understanding

Encore 2:
Watching the Detectives > Help Me

Hammer of Song produced a request for The Imposter ("for my lover... It's his favourite song") which resulted in baffled looks all around and another spin while Elvis "tried to remember how it went". He does have a TelePrompTer or autocue in front of him, doesn't he?

Spin 7: Imperial Chocolate
Poor Napoleon
Shabby Doll

The Imposter
Sugar Won't Work

Parting remark along the lines of "See you tomorrow night. It'll be on television. we'll all be famous."

So, were the last two nights a warm up for a TV taping, with another show tacked on the end in order to defray a few extra costs?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The official website posts this setlist:

Tokyo, Japan
December 12th, 2013

Overture

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

"Girl" Jackpot - Spin 1

This Year's Girl
Party Girl
Girls Talk
Girl (Lennon/McCartney)

Come The Meantimes - IMPROMPTU

She - Spin 2

Monkey To Man - Spin 3

Tokyo Storm Warning - IMPROMPTU

Alison - IMPROMPTU

God Give Me Strength - Spin 4

New Lace Sleeves - Spin 5

Accidents Will Happen - Spin 6

Walk Us Uptown - IMPROMPTU

Chelsea - IMPROMPTU

Interlude

Ascension Day
Good Year For The Roses
Suit Of Lights
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Shipbuilding
Viceroy's Row
Oliver's Army
Peace, Love and Understanding/Happy Birthday To Mysterious Josephine

Encore

Watching The Detectives/Help Me

Hammer Of Songs - Three Strikes, No Bell

"Imperial Chocolate" Jackpot - Consolation Spin

Poor Napoleon
Shabby Doll

Hammer Swinger's Spin - The Imposter

Sugar Won't Work
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Ian Hughes' review from Facebook, reposted with his permission:

Almost finished draft review of last night's show. Looking forward to tonight, which could be something very special...

Ex Theatre, Roppongi, Tokyo
12 December 2013 Spinning Songbook Show

It mightn't quite be living the dream, but I was sitting in the restaurant at a Tokyo hotel around six-thirty last night thinking life doesn't get much better than this. I was wrapping up a plate of pasta alla vongole biancco, with accompanying glass of prosecco, having wandered back from Tokyo's best oyster bar, and a glass of Yebisu that washed down four prime examples of Japan's best oysters.

And it was time to head out the door for the second of three Elvis Costello Spinning Songbook shows at a theatre a matter of a couple of hundred metres down Roppongi Street.

No, it doesn't get much better than this, but, occasionally it does. Not much better, and again, the unexpected lift came in the encores where last night's performance produced a Hammer of Song request for Church Underground, a response that "this band doesn't know that song" and a decision to do it solo.

This time around, an excursion into the crowd during the Help Me segue out of Watching the Detectives produced what looked like an awestruck high school girl who needed assistance from The Mysterious Josephine to ring the bell.

I might be wrong about the high school girl, and awestruck might be wide of the mark as well, but the key point here is that she didn't look like someone who'd be conversant with the depths of mr Costello's extensive back catalogue.

The request? Having managed, with assistance, to ring the bell, she asked for The Imposter, and followed it with the news that the request was "for my lover" because it' "his favourite song".

Cue stunned looks all round from an outfit that takes its name from the song. An on-line query when I made it back to the hotel room reveals the song was last played in May 2008. So, five and a half years is plenty of time to forget "how it goes".

But it did appear. One suspects there's an autocue in operation, and they needed a window to enter the data so a final spin of the wheel produced an imperial chocolate bonus (Poor Napoleon, shabby Doll). With The Imposter and Sugar Won't work to follow it was a great way to wind up what had been another excellent show.

Significantly, Elvis left the stage with a remark along the lines of "See you tomorrow night. It'll be on television. we'll all be famous."

On that basis you'd have to see these two shows as trial runs for a concert that's going to go live to air from seven-thirty this evening, so one's inclined to filter the last two nights through that perspective and make a few predictions.

There's no doubt about the opening Overture, the four or five song blast that had Uncomplicated slotted in the middle of I Hope You're Happy Now, Heart of the City, Mystery Dance and Radio Radio.

It's also fairly obvious he's working towards a particular demographic when it comes to the wheel spinners. They tend to be young, female and almost invariably overwhelmed by the fact that they're up there on stage in front of all those people.

I was hoping that he'd grab one of the geekier types I spotted in the foyer, which might have produced some interesting results, but in this setting the star of the show probably doesn't want to be upstaged.

The first spin produced the Girl bonus (This Year's Girl, Party Girl, Girls Talk, and the Lennon-Macartney Girl), and the next two delivered She, complete with comments about the original French lyric by Charles Aznavour, and Monkey to Man, followed by an impromptu Tokyo Storm Warning and Alison > The Wind Cries Mary > Somewhere Over the Rainbow > There's A Place For Us. We know they're impromptu because that's how they're tagged in the official set list.

For me, things really took off with the next spin, God Give Me Strength, complete with masterful piano from Mr Nieve and a venture out into the audience for the final verse or two. One of my favourite Elvis songs, delivered with total passion.

That was the first of a double spin, with the second selection, accidents Will Happen deferred until after Spin 6, which threw up Tokyo Storm Warning. The respin added New Lace Sleeves to the set list.

I thought we were in for the first encore break after Accidents Will Happen, but Wise Up Ghost and I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea rounded things off nicely, and the crowd reaction, while not as restrained as the previous night, made me suspect we were in for what amounted to a second set rather than a string of encores, particularly when the next cluster of songs concluded with Peace Love & Understanding.

In between the guitar action centred around the acoustic with Ascension Day followed by Good Year For the Roses, Suit of Lights, Slow drag for Josephine, Jimmie Standing In The Rain and a quite magnificent Shipbuilding. The young gentleman who'd been hauled up on stage for the double spin had named it as his request, missed getting it by a whisker (Accidents lobbed instead) but ended up having the wish fulfilled.

This acoustic based set based around Josephine and Jimmie seems to be standard operating practice, so you can probably pencil it in for tonight's show as well.

Viceroys Row and Oliver's Army preceded PLU, and raised the suspicion that we weren't going any further. Elvis looked at his watch towards the end of the latter, obviously checking how long they had before the curfew or scheduled end of show.

And based on the degree of audience response you mightn't have been surprised to see the house lights come on at that stage. I was mildly surprised to note two gentlemen in front of me, blokes who had been applauding enthusiastically throughout, sitting back and conversing as if the next bracket of songs was a foregone conclusion.

Well, it probably was, but I thought that part of the game was to act as if the second, third, fourth and fifth encores are the result of crowd appreciation. The appearance of someone coming up to replace Elvis' drink container as soon as the band departs the stage is, of course, a dead set give away.

Maybe he needs to wait until Elvis and company return. Surely he can skirt around Davey on his way to the little riser that holds Mr Costello's vocal lubrication.

But that's a minor gripe. The return that was always on once you saw the refill started with Watching the Detectives, which morphed into Help Me with another foray into the crowd that brought the young lady up on stage for the Hammer of Song and the request for The Imposter.

The convenient fiction of needing time to remember how it goes produced a final spin, and an Imperial Chocolate bonus, which turned out very tasty indeed. poor Napoleon, Shabby Doll and The imposter, followed by Sugar Won't Work brought things to a close in a show that, for once, didn't end with Pump It Up.

I can't say I was disappointed by the omission.

Viewed as a whole, a step up from Wednesday night, with the promise of something extra special with the live to air TV tonight. It says something about Costello's ambition to take a fly by the seat of the pants thing like a singing Songbook show and go live to air on a major pay TV network.

With two practice runs under the belt, tonight's show threatens to pull out all the plugs if he can wangle the right participants for the Wheel segments.

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City
Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

Spin 1: Girl Bonus
This Year's Girl
Party Girl
Girl Talk
Girl

Come the Meantimes

Spin 2: She

Spin 3: Monkey To Man

Tokyo Storm Warning
Alison > The Wind Cries Mary > Somewhere Over the Rainbow > There's A Place For Us

Double Spin
Spin 4: God GiVe Me Strength
Spin 5: Accidents Will Happen (deferred)

Spin 6: Tokyo Storm Warning. Respin: New Lace Sleeves

Accidents Will Happen
Walk Us Uptown
I Don't Want To Go To Chelsea

Encore 1:
Ascension Day
Good Year For the Roses
Suit of Lights
Slow Drag for Josephine
Shipbuilding
Viceroys Row
Oliver's Army
Peace Love & Understanding

Encore 2:
Watching the Detectives > Help Me

Hammer of Song request for The Imposter resulted in baffled looks all around and another spin while Elvis "tried to remember how it went."

Spin 7: Imperial Chocolate
Poor Napoleon
Shabby Doll

The Imposter
Sugar Won't Work

Parting remark along the lines of "See you tomorrow night. It'll be on television. We'll all be famous."
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Has anyone please a link to e.g. audio of EC doing 'There's a place for us' - I seem not to have obtained an audio of his many snippet-bits of his doing this ...

Thankyou.

Apologies - many it is said share it e.g. on SoulSeek as 'Somewhere' (not the OTRainbow one...).
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

charliestumpy wrote:Has anyone please a link to e.g. audio of EC doing 'There's a place for us
From 1988 London, here's EC & Chrissie Hynde doing "There's A Place"
http://www.metacafe.com/watch/wm-A10302 ... sic_video/
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thanks very much for kind post/link ...
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Viceroy's Row is probably my least favorite song on WUG, but the Imposters' take on it is AWESOME. I think the tone is much better. More sinister. And Steve Nieve's piano is just outstanding on it. A complete jaw dropper for me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

SoulForHire wrote:Viceroy's Row is probably my least favorite song on WUG, but the Imposters' take on it is AWESOME. I think the tone is much better. More sinister. And Steve Nieve's piano is just outstanding on it. A complete jaw dropper for me.
Excellent:

migdd

Post by migdd »

Incredible! Thanks again, doc. Would love to hear the Imposters takes on Sugar Won't Work, Walk Us Uptown and Come The Meantimes. ;) hint hint
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

migdd wrote:Incredible! Thanks again, doc. Would love to hear the Imposters takes on Sugar Won't Work, Walk Us Uptown and Come The Meantimes. ;) hint hint

migdd

Post by migdd »

Again, many thanks!
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

I just love this reworking of Come the Meantimes. Wow wow wow.