Wise Up: Thought Remixes And Reworks

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Wise Up: Thought Remixes And Reworks

Post by johnfoyle »

A friend in Philadelphia just got me a copy. She bought two copies ( all bagged by others, BTW) in two different locations - apparently the stores were rationing them.

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

yes, i saw her post at fbook. is this a cd version in limited quantities also? i heard the vinyl was not released until 12-17 John; what do you know please?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I bought one at Amoeba Hollywood. They had them hidden behind the counter, so I didn't get a sense of how many copies they had.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

cd or vinyl please ANCT?
And No Coffee Table

CD. I don't think the vinyl is supposed to be available before December 17.
cwr

Post by cwr »

My friend picked up a copy for me at Other Music in Manhattan. Said that they had lots of all the RSD releases, but this was at 11am, so I have no idea what they have left by now...
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

Just picked up a copy at Tunes in Hoboken NJ. They have about 6 or 7 copies out on display. Didn't look they they had sold many (or any).

There are actually only 4 full songs on this, the other three are snippets/interludes. First impressions are I like Cinco Minutos with Black Thought, and Tripwire. Meantimes seems a bit awkward, on first listen.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
And No Coffee Table

Lyric video for "Cinco Minutos Con Vos" featuring Black Thought:
http://www.okayplayer.com/news/the-root ... video.html
Anodyne

Post by Anodyne »

The reworking of Tripwire is gorgeous!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stricttime81 wrote:Just picked up a copy at Tunes in Hoboken NJ. They have about 6 or 7 copies out on display. Didn't look they they had sold many (or any).

There are actually only 4 full songs on this, the other three are snippets/interludes. First impressions are I like Cinco Minutos with Black Thought, and Tripwire. Meantimes seems a bit awkward, on first listen.
good price there Mike? seems like it is going for 15-25 at ebay today... typical record store day mania!!! but, if you are through that way easily...maybe you should grab another or three for me or whoever else might have difficulty acquiring one. i got a half lead on one for tomorrow. was wednesday A+ or WHAT???
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Was wanting to dismiss this as the sort of completism I can well be doing without, but that sample of Tripwire makes me think I need that version. Sounds lovely, as per Anodyne's comment. Is this even getting a UK release?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

bronxapostle wrote:
stricttime81 wrote:Just picked up a copy at Tunes in Hoboken NJ. They have about 6 or 7 copies out on display. Didn't look they they had sold many (or any).

good price there Mike? seems like it is going for 15-25 at ebay today... typical record store day mania!!! but, if you are through that way easily...maybe you should grab another or three for me or whoever else might have difficulty acquiring one. i got a half lead on one for tomorrow. was wednesday A+ or WHAT???

$8.99. Maybe I'll walk over and grab a few more.

Wednesday was amazing! Imagination and Confidence are two songs I dreamed of him playing but never thought he would, esp. since they hadn't been played on the our to that point.
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

bronxapostle wrote:

I just got the last three copies in the store for $8.99 each, if anyone is interested PM me.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Quite a few copies at Newbury Comics this morning downtown on Newbury Street-at least 10 copies at $7.99 each. I heard portions and I must confess it did not move me to purchase it-even at that price. Just my ears, I suppose, though the salesperson at the register said they are not moving. I remain content with the initial record and hear little added with these reworkings.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

stricttime81 wrote:
bronxapostle wrote:

I just got the last three copies in the store for $8.99 each, if anyone is interested PM me.
thanks Mike...sent a pm
Jack of All Parades wrote:Quite a few copies at Newbury Comics this morning downtown on Newbury Street-at least 10 copies at $7.99 each. I heard portions and I must confess it did not move me to purchase it-even at that price. Just my ears, I suppose, though the salesperson at the register said they are not moving. I remain content with the initial record and hear little added with these reworkings.
i also Jack was unimpressed with what i've heard. however, as his name is attached, i naturally NEED it! i too wish it was more expansive including perhaps a track or two of UNRELEASED music alongside these remixes which seem to concentrate on removing Elvis from the cuts. best to you Jack. ba
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I just got the last three copies in the store for $8.99 each, if anyone is interested PM me.[/quote]

thanks Mike...sent a pm
Jack of All Parades wrote:Quite a few copies at Newbury Comics this morning downtown on Newbury Street-at least 10 copies at $7.99 each. I heard portions and I must confess it did not move me to purchase it-even at that price. Just my ears, I suppose, though the salesperson at the register said they are not moving. I remain content with the initial record and hear little added with these reworkings.
i also Jack was unimpressed with what i've heard. however, as his name is attached, i naturally NEED it! i too wish it was more expansive including perhaps a track or two of UNRELEASED music alongside these remixes which seem to concentrate on removing Elvis from the cuts. best to you Jack. ba[/quote]

BA-my best as well to you and yours this holiday weekend. I, too, would have been more inclined to purchase with some additional new material. However, perhaps this will atone for my failure to buy- instead I picked up a used copy of the Hear disc from a few years back where EC chooses songs from his musical library and then extensively writes about them in the notes. Most entertaining. And it cost me all of $4.99. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
cwr

Post by cwr »

The Tripwire on this EP is fun! And I enjoy the Cinco and the Walk Us Uptown, as well.

I never feel cheated by these little extra releases. They've always been part of the fun for me, it's nice to have little oddball things like this come out. Nothing on here is mind blowing, nothing like "Puppet" on the deluxe version, but maybe there'll be a "Number Three" out before too long?
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

cwr wrote:maybe there'll be a "Number Three" out before too long?
Or more live performances a la Brooklyn?
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

Probably alone on this one, I hate this EP :-(
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
And No Coffee Table

Antibalas collabs with Elvis Costello, The Roots on “Wise Up Thought”

We have some new music out! It’s a reworking of the new Elvis Costello / Roots jam “Walk Us Uptown.” It’s officially out 11/29/2013 on Blue Note records for Record Store Day.

The backstory:

For years in the late 90s and the early 2000s we regularly crossed paths with The Roots while performing at various festivals around the US. Several of Antibalas, being hip hop heads, were into them since their debut recordings in the early 90s. Martín, a native of Philly, remembers seeing them perform in their earliest days as the “Square Roots,” but that’s a story for another day.

Fast forward to 2009. Red Bull asks both bands to be part of Red Bull Soundclash, where we play in round-robin format on facing stages, with the audience in between both stages. We got to spend two days in a big rehearsal studio figuring out how to pull this off. Then we went to Boston and did the show at the Roxy. It was epic.

A few months later, then the Roots and Public Enemy asked us to perform “It Takes A Nation of Millions To Hold Us Back” live at The Roots Picnic in Philadelphia. Another surreal and beautiful musical experience.

Shortly after, the Antibalas Horns members began making semi-regular cameo appearances with the Roots on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon when they wanted to add extra horns to performances with artists like Paul Simon, My Morning Jacket and others. Two years in a row, we teamed up with them to do the Comedy Central Comedy Awards Show in 2012 and 2013.

Finally, we get to make some music with them on record…sort of.

A few months back, the Roots and Elvis Costello (and longtime Roots sound guru Steve Mandel) released “Wise Up Ghost,” a collaboration with Elvis Costello. They reached out to us and asked us to do a remix/reworking of “Walk Us Uptown,” the single off the new album.

Our guitarist, Marcos García (aka Chico Mann) took charge as the coordinator, and with help from Victor Axelrod (aka Ticklah) on keys and engineering, plus horns, drums, bass and percussion and Elvis’s vocals, we put together a quick session to meet a seemingly impossible deadline.

The result: “Walk Us Uptown” Antibalas reworking. On “Wise Up: Thought” available on Blue Note Records at finer record stores near you, 11/29/2013.
chickendinna

Post by chickendinna »

I got fleeced on this. I had to work yesterday so I went the Ebay route. I got it for $34 out the door. At least I didn't jump on the one copy I saw for $40. I better love this. I hate being a completest :(
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

chickendinna wrote:I got fleeced on this. I had to work yesterday so I went the Ebay route. I got it for $34 out the door. At least I didn't jump on the one copy I saw for $40. I better love this. I hate being a completest :(
ooooh CHICKEN...why'd you do that??? it appears i might have a lead on a second copy for the nice $10 price. my good friend Lou thinks he can get me one and my new friend Mike already has one in hand for me. please, always check around here before falling into the ebaymania of record store day. terrible to have spent so much on something so very so-so in my early opinion. and as i recall you were a great proponent of my analog recordings, i would ALWAYS try to help you in this type of search. living in NYC area sure helps get this stuff easier MOST of the time. meanwhile...go enjoy THIS: http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=473077 my recording from KINGSTON, NY or any of the others up at dime from the past month. you got to go get some free sounds to make up for that $34 expenditure. all the best, benny
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

I guess my expectations on this weren't too high because I enjoyed the EP. Love Tripwire and Walk Us, and the rap version of Cinco is interesting. The only thing that doesn't work is Meantimes, which seemed to lose both rhythm and melody. And the snippet interludes are a waste of time. Overall I'm glad to have it though!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

is it my imagination Mike or me not having heard enough of it: seems VERY light on EC to me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

He had no involvement in it, right? I think the link with the clips above said 'supervised by EC and the Roots', but earlier comments contradicted that.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more