:)
SoulForHire

Re: Elvis plays Washington DC, Nov. 22 2013

Post by SoulForHire »

I LOOOOOOOVE Invasion Hit Parade.
hatman

Post by hatman »

Dave, Great to meet you! The location of the seat was super! Fantastic show as reported! I am sure it will be the same result this evening!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

hatman wrote:Dave, Great to meet you! The location of the seat was super! Fantastic show as reported! I am sure it will be the same result this evening!
I am very glad you enjoyed it!

Dave
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blogs.gwhatchet.com/btb/2013/11/ ... day-night/

Kat Keimig | Hatchet Photographer

Saturday, Nov. 23, 2013

Elvis Costello lets crowd take the reins at Lisner Friday night

by Karolina Ramos/ Cameron Soojian.

Angelic acoustic guitar chords and classic songs reverberated throughout Lisner Auditorium Friday when Elvis Costello took the stage.

The legendary musician, who was inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003, performed solo for over two hours in front of a sold-out crowd. Costello played more than 25 songs.

Costello started the show with an acoustic set, opening with “Green Shirt.” The predominantly middle-aged crowd cheered as Costello’s iconic voice rang throughout the historic music hall while he played choppy, yet coherently rhythmic accompanying guitar chords.

Costello then moved to a playful rendition of “Walkin’ My Baby Back Home” by Nat King Cole. In the middle of the song, he stopped singing and began whistling a solo while continuing to play rhythm on the acoustic guitar.

A “request” sign was activated by Costello via foot-pedal towards the end of the show to initiate a request hour, prompting calls from audience members hoping for a rendition of their favorite songs.

“Play ‘Alison’!” yelled one audience member from the far back corner of the auditorium.

Costello acknowledged the suggestion, but before he began to play what many consider to be one of his signature songs, he stepped away from the microphone. The crowd took to their feet and stepped closer as he began to speak.

“We should use this auditorium the way it was intended to be used,” Costello said to the audience while standing close to the edge of the stage. “Without a microphone.”

Silence ensued as Costello played off-microphone, but some fans could not resist singing along with the song’s memorable chorus and diluted the purity of the moment.

When he played “Watching the Detectives,” the first hit single credited to his backing band, the Attractions, Costello switched from acoustic to electric guitar. During the chorus, audience members smiled as they clapped along and danced in their seats.

Throughout the song and the entire show, Costello experimented with a loop pedal, which allowed him to record and overdub live small clips of guitar. After recording a musical phrase and looping it, he immediately began soloing or recording a new loop to layer over the first one.

Costello is currently touring along the east coast and will play four nights accompanied by The Imposters in December.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Any recording yet?
jjb0070

Post by jjb0070 »

Hey guys, first time poster long time lurker.

I was at this show, and I used my phone to record the concert. It's not the best quality (there's some distortion, not constant), but it's not the worst one I've heard of this tour based on some bootlegs I got off of DIME either. I recorded it in mp3 (I know) 320kb, and ran it through a noise reduction program, which helped.

I don't have time to split these tracks up or play with the audio any more, I'm an amateur at this. However, I do want to give back to the community at large and it looks like no one else bootlegged this show. Would anyone be willing to take my original or my attempt at a cleanup of the file and work some magic at it, so I can share this with the internet? The crowd was really into EC at this show and I'd hate to selfishly hang on to this. It's not perfect, but it's totally listenable. Thanks,
-John
krm

Post by krm »

jjb0070 wrote:Hey guys, first time poster long time lurker.

I was at this show, and I used my phone to record the concert. It's not the best quality (there's some distortion, not constant), but it's not the worst one I've heard of this tour based on some bootlegs I got off of DIME either. I recorded it in mp3 (I know) 320kb, and ran it through a noise reduction program, which helped.

I don't have time to split these tracks up or play with the audio any more, I'm an amateur at this. However, I do want to give back to the community at large and it looks like no one else bootlegged this show. Would anyone be willing to take my original or my attempt at a cleanup of the file and work some magic at it, so I can share this with the internet? The crowd was really into EC at this show and I'd hate to selfishly hang on to this. It's not perfect, but it's totally listenable. Thanks,
-John
Woooohooooo!!! Great!
jjb0070

Post by jjb0070 »

Okay, I think you guys might in luck. Again, it ain't the best, but it exists! We'll keep you posted.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

jjb0070 wrote:Okay, I think you guys might in luck. Again, it ain't the best, but it exists! We'll keep you posted.
It's now on my hard drive. Should be ready for sharing soon!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Great, thanks!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
jjb0070 wrote:Okay, I think you guys might in luck. Again, it ain't the best, but it exists! We'll keep you posted.

i knew you'd be the guy to step to the plate doc. good work. how's the sound?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Thanks so much ,JJB and welcome to the forum, don't worry about it being mp3 , after all it could have been analogue , hey BA :wink: . Great to know your recording is in the safest of hands and Doc has a reliable source of info if he needs to make samples :lol:
docinwestchester

bronxapostle wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:

i knew you'd be the guy to step to the plate doc. good work. how's the sound?
Not too bad for a cell phone. The original recording was in mono. I used Audacity to convert it to "pseudo-stereo". I'll post a sample later.
docinwestchester

dombologna

Post by dombologna »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AXoRaLWszg

Another audience recording.

It was made from 5th row center, using Android Smart Voice Recorder.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
dombologna wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AXoRaLWszg

hmmmm....thanks tapers!
jjb0070

Post by jjb0070 »

docinwestchester wrote:Here's my remaster of jjb's recording. I boosted the volume and converted from mono to pseudo-stereo. Sample above:

http://www.mediafire.com/download/28skh ... ource).rar
Thanks doc!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Great, thanks!
dombologna wrote:http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8AXoRaLWszg

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »