Elvis plays Storrs, CT Nov. 21 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis plays Storrs, CT Nov. 21 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

LOL!

http://mansfield.patch.com/groups/edmon ... im-is-true

Elvis Costello: His Aim Is True

New Wave Rocker Elvis Costello plays Jorgensen. He writes the history of desire, chooses just the right word, then crushes it with his teeth.

by Edmond Chibeau ,
November 22, 2013

Of flailing arms and the bad man, he sings! New Wave rocker, more than a decade deep in a New Century, makes the words sing. He writes the history of desire with a poet’s soul, chooses just the right word, then crushes it between his teeth.

Tone is not a simple matter of frequency. Tone is that elusive vibe that keeps us listening even when we aren’t sure what we are listening to.

Elvis Costello sings the song he is singing, not the one we are listening to.

The fingerprints on his reputation are all his own.

The music has a narrative and the words have melody. He translates his synesthesia so that we can partake of that transformation with him. He helps us taste the bitter sound of love gone cold. Communicates in living color the aural disaster inside him and makes us feel it. He says the theme for the evening is, “Love… betrayal, deceit and shame.”

He’s a bad man with a bad attitude and he makes good performance.

They say all you need it three chords and an attitude. He keeps the attitude but he doesn’t stop at three chords.

Two hours and fifteen minutes. One performer. No intermission.

The show started strong and got better and better. His aim is true.

The stage set is spare. There were always 5 guitars behind him on stage, but they were often switched out with the help of two roadie/stage managers. There was also an electric keyboard but that wasn’t used until the encores. How many encores? I lost count but at least half an hour’s worth.
Six down-lights on the cyclorama, and two signs: an “On Air” sign mid-stage right, and a lighted arrow pointing to the wing mid-stage left. Two large video screens mounted to the left and right that were fed by three cameras. Nothing special by way of sets and lights. This show is one performer alone on stage, or it is nothing at all. Elvis Costello played a wide range of songs and styles and kept us rocking throughout.

If you want to know the name of the songs he sings, or the cords he uses, check his website. It’s all there. If you want to know how his music feels then you’ve got to press your chest against his sound, let it vibrate against your sternum. He’s on tour, go listen.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

So he's played All the rage twice this year now and no recording has surfaced :(
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

Of the 5 shows I saw on this tour, last night might of been my favorite.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Wish he would bring this solo show to the midwest. I'd pay top dollar to see it.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

From the writer who live-tweeted much (but not all!) of the setlist...

Concert Review: Elvis Costello at Jorgensen Center in Storrs
by Mike Hamad
November 22, 2013

Elvis Costello stepped onstage at the Jorgensen Center in Storrs Thursday evening, grabbed one of the many guitars placed around his various amplifiers and contraptions, and launched into “Clubland,” the noir-ish opening track from his 1981 album Trust. He stood between two large electric signs: “ON AIR” in big block letters and another, “Detour,” the type you’d find on the side of a highway.

The signs were prophetic, it turns out. Over the next couple of hours, Costello’s voice and guitar set various moods — jazz speakeasy, Greenwich Village coffeehouse, new-music recital hall, vaudeville stage, smoky rock club, arena-rock rage-fest — as varied as what you’d hear on a radio-theater program. A journeyman musician from a long line of professional entertainers, he spun long tales, with surreal twists. He talked about his father and grandfather, a trumpeter who “dressed a little too well to earn only trumpet money.”

On “Watching the Detectives,” he manipulated loops and effects, setting up beds of distorted chords. For a stretch, Costello sat down, cross-legged and Leon Redbone-style with a guitar on his lap, with a microphone protruding from behind him. And he occasionally sang off-mic, reminding the crowd of the size of the room, which he filled with his powerful, slightly battered voice. The few times he rasped and cracked, he seemed to relish it even more.

Early highlights included “Green Shirt,” from the 1979 Armed Forces album, set up by Costello with a repeated-note groove on his looping device; “Motel Matches,” a gem of country waltz from 1980’s Get Happy; Jerry Chestnut’s “Good Year For the Roses” (by audience request); and a rollicking “Radio Sweetheart,” which segued into Van Morrison’s “Jackie Wilson Said.” He played “Everyday I Write the Book,” a song he said was written in 10 minutes that “almost became a hit,” in a fingerpicking, British-folk style. “Ron Sexsmith taught me how to play it,” Costello said. “You know Ron Sexsmith, right?”

Costello returned for two long encores, switching to piano for “Shipbuilding” and the classical-tinged “Shot With His Own Gun” before grabbing another guitar for “I Want You,” which spiraled into loop-driven, dizzying trip through sinister moods and bad, stalkerish intentions. “Feels like we got a rock and roll gymnasium feel going on in here,” Costello quipped, as he started playing “(What’s So Funny ‘bout) Peace, Love and Understanding.” Audience members left their seats and approached the stage. It was a satisfying, wide-ranging show, full of interesting twists and turns.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Audience video, not sadly of All The Rage, but a clap-a-long version of

Green Shirt

MOOT
brilliantmistake

Post by brilliantmistake »

The setlist is missing Jimmie Standing in the Rain (w/Brother can you spare a dime) after Slow Drag. The show ended with Tripwire/PLU. There were also two Wise Up Ghosts songs in the middle (Come the Meantime and Sugar Won't Work). I was super excited to see these two songs. Solo versions came off pretty well.

That is all that I can think of that the setlist page is missing. There still might be another song or two missing (I know there was another sit down song after Walking my baby but I don't remember what it was). I might have a line on a tape from last night so I'll work on getting a copy.
History Repeats

Post by History Repeats »

Storrs Setlist in one place

‎On stage 7:39

- Clubland
- Green Shirt
- Either Side of the Same Town
- Motel Matches (coming to America 1st time/sam Cooke story)
- 13 Steps Lead Down
- Good Year for the Roses (Upon audience calling it out)
"tonight, its all about Love‎...deceit and betrayal"
- I Hope You're Happy Now (ballad)
- The Poisoned Rose (electric)
- ‎Poor Napolean
- Everyday I Write the Book

---------
Seated
- Walking My Baby Back Home
- There's A Story in Your Voice (ballad)
---------

- Detectives‎ (electric)
- ‎All the Rage
- Come the Meantimes
- Sugar Won't Work
- Alison
- Radio Sweetheart>Jackie Wilson Said

---------
Encore 1
- Josephine
- Jimmy Standing in the Rain (grandfather story)>Brother Can You Spare a dime
- Shipbuilding (keyboard)
- Shot With His Own Gun (keyboard)
- I Want You (electric)
-------
Encore 2
- Peace Love and Understanding (electric)
- Pump It Up (electric)
- Tripwire (electric)‎>PLU (ballad)

Off Stage 9:43
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I've never heard 13 steps lead down solo.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
veronicacostello

Post by veronicacostello »

This show.... oh man...

I can't even believe how lucky I feel to have witnessed this. It's been almost 24 hours and I don't think I've finished processing the experience.

I think I left a little piece of my soul in the chair when it was over :cry: I wanted it to never, ever end.

If there was any way possible, I would quit my life for the next week and follow the tour like a deadhead.
veronicacostello

This was my second show. I was sitting directly in front of him, front row center. That was the first time I'd ever had a front row seat for a concert, and at first I sort of felt that I was too close, and it took a little while to get past that. I think it was about six feet from the stage? Because I felt so conspicuous, I knew I would look and feel like a dork if I lip-synced along to every word of every song, so I had to suppress the hell out of that urge. BUT THEN.. when he did "All the Rage" I kind of lost the ability to suppress. Then he totally blew the doors off of "I Want You" and I was on the verge of tears.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

veronicacostello

Thank you for posting that!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

veronicacostello wrote:Thank you for posting that!!
Listening now...It's excellent
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Some more Youtube footage:

Motel Matches / 13 Steps Lead Down
Everyday I Write The Book (incomplete)
Watching The Detectives
Alison / Radio Sweetheart /Jackie Wilson Said

This is the first time that EC has ever played 13 Steps solo, so it is interesting to see. it is 4 mins 30 secs into the clip.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

you folks know me...i am about to add "YOU SEND ME" to the tally after viewing the Motel Matches/13 clip!!!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

250 pics by jkpolkrause on flickr:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/jkpolka/se ... 213/page4/
Image Image

Last edited by Azmuda on Sun Nov 24, 2013 11:59 am, edited 2 times in total.
SoulForHire

Post by SoulForHire »

Those are some great pics.

Is it just me, or is this possibly the best solo tour he has ever done? The setlists are amazing
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I've never heard 13 steps lead down solo.
I could be mistaken, but I don't think it was performed live solo before this tour. But there is a solo demo on the Rhino reissue. And it's pretty great.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

veronicacostello

Thanks for posting!
I'm hoping to find some video of All the Rage & I Want You from the Storrs show. Maybe eventually something will turn up somewhere!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Peace, Love & Understanding / Pump it Up / Tripwire > Peace, Love & Understanding -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0i0JZF40rMs