"Brutal Youth" finally getting a vinyl issue!

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: "Brutal Youth" finally getting a vinyl issue!

Post by bronxapostle »

that is BEAUTIFUL...can't wait to HOLD MY OWN!! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

Got my copy today \o/

"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

I guess my copy should arrive in the post in the next few days :D I cannot wait! If ever an album was meant to be played loudly, it's this one!
Pars

Post by Pars »

Tried to resist acquiring my third edition of this wonderful album but failed miserably.£13.99 from amazon.uk....ok,I had a £10 gift certificate.Fond memories of the "Brutal Youth" tour.Saw EC & The Attractions at Albert Hall & Wolverhampton Civic Hall.Enjoyment of these gigs only slightly marred by the dour support band,Cast.
cwr

Post by cwr »

The USA Brutal Youth tour had Crash Test Dummies.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

cwr wrote:The USA Brutal Youth tour had Crash Test Dummies.
My primary memory from their set was the unexpectedly large amount of yodeling.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

SHIT ON A SHINGLE could have opened the USA tour, i didn't give a DAMN! i had mt FIRST LIVE ATTRACTIONS in EIGHT YEARS in support of one of his BEST albums EVER and i was lucky enough to pick the RIGHT four shows that were ALL fantastic and yielded me all fifteen songs from the LP! God is good, very good in 1994!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Saw a few BY gigs including Wolverhampton with Mrs Sulky . She dashed in before I could hide my cassette on my socks and I got frisked and the cassette confiscated ! Went to pick it up from the box office at the end with a dozen other suspects, they were all collecting knives including a machete ! I felt acreal southern softie when asked which was mine and I pointed to the lone cassette recorder :roll: :oops:
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

It's just arrived (from Amazon), and it's BEAUTIFUL!

It's got a lush, glossy cover - feels rich. Two thick slabs of shining vinyl. Gatefold, and all the lyrics inside. (Back in the day I spent weeks if not months trying to figure out what those were! :) )

Very fine piece of work! :!:
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

Did anyone else in the US per-order from Amazon and have them not send yours because its now out of stock? What's the point in pre-ordering, then?!
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

I’m not normally a shill for Amazon but their preorder guarantee is pretty great. Once your preorder is in, if the price drops before it is released, you get the lower price, and sometimes their price drops to a pretty low level (like the Smashing Pumpkins 4 record box I got for $38). Just keep track of prices elsewhere and you can always cancel a preorder at any time before it ships. So I think you can cancel your order now if you want. I ordered from Amazon Canada and it seems to show a delivery date of next week sometime....

Having said that, it can be unreliable and if you want to be sure you have something the day it is released, Amazon is probably not the way to go.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

bobfrombob wrote:I’m not normally a shill for Amazon but their preorder guarantee is pretty great. Once your preorder is in, if the price drops before it is released, you get the lower price, and sometimes their price drops to a pretty low level (like the Smashing Pumpkins 4 record box I got for $38). Just keep track of prices elsewhere and you can always cancel a preorder at any time before it ships. So I think you can cancel your order now if you want. I ordered from Amazon Canada and it seems to show a delivery date of next week sometime....

Having said that, it can be unreliable and if you want to be sure you have something the day it is released, Amazon is probably not the way to go.
I totally agree that their pre-order price guarantee kicks ass. However, i'm bummed i won't be getting my copy of Brutal Youth until they restock. Did anyone else pre-order from Amazon US after July 17, 2013? I'm contesting this case with them. That's how bummed out I am about this issue. Ha!
Pars

Post by Pars »

Damn! Amazon UK also out of stock.On the bright side, demand exceeding supply suggests the release has been a success which,hopefully, may lead to further vinyl editions.
cwr

Post by cwr »

Yes-- surely they know if this one does well, they have two more to go!

I also wonder how it works, contract-wise, at this point-- does Warner Bros. still have the rights to everything Costello recorded during the years he was on their label, or do the rights revert to him again at some point like the did with the Columbia years?

Would Costello be able to issue, for instance, The Wendy James Demos, as a limited vinyl release?
cwr

Post by cwr »

My copy of Brutal Youth on vinyl arrived this morning! (On the same day BY is the focus of my "40 Days Of Elvis Costello" series!)

Unfortunately I haven't had a chance to listen to it yet, only a few moments to admire the sleeve! How's it sound?
DodgyTC

Post by DodgyTC »

Picked up BY today at Amoeba in Los Angeles for $36. The cover looks great, but I wont know how it sounds until i go out and get a new amp/receiver, the old one having finally died after 14 years.

TC
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The vinyl sounds great on my system. I kept thinking I was hearing new bits etc. that I didn't hear before. To be fair, however, I then played the Rhino reissue on cd and they were there also , I'd just forgot them. There is still , however, the tactile engagement that the vinyl edition requires. You are conscious of having to be near by to flip the discs and not just leaving the album to play and getting busy with something else. You end up really concentrating on the songs.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

johnfoyle wrote:The vinyl sounds great on my system. I kept thinking I was hearing new bits etc. that I didn't hear before. To be fair, however, I then played the Rhino reissue on cd and they were there also , I'd just forgot them. There is still , however, the tactile engagement that the vinyl edition requires. You are conscious of having to be near by to flip the discs and not just leaving the album to play and getting busy with something else. You end up really concentrating on the songs.
Exactly the same experience - in some instances I thought it was even remixed! But it was just my memory failing. So, nothing new, but somehow it sounds fresh.

It looks beautiful and feels great. The printed lyrics are a nice touch.
The vinyl quality is NOT the best there is. It's good thick vinyl, but nothing like the new Beatles LPs, for example. It might be down to the age of my turntable, but the outside groove is a tad to narrow causing the needle to land just outside of it (with a crash), and I had some skips (nothing visible on the vinyl) on one or two songs.
I can live with that, but, like I said, I've seen better quality arriving at my place recently.
bobfrombob

Post by bobfrombob »

I don't know about US or UK but Amazon Canada says my copy has shipped.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.monoandstereo.com/2013/08/mu ... rutal.html

Matej Isak

Mono and Stereo ultra high end audio magazine

29 Aug. '13

BRUTAL YOUTH

You cannot argue with Elvis Costello song writings. His output flow is in nowhere to be tamed and the music empowered with lyrics that hardly leaves you untouched.

There is no need of pin pointing the Elvis expression to a certain genre as he expertly moves within recognised musical patterns, that always seems to ignite passion and emotional awakening throughout often sorrow or even cynical world view.

With the earthly sorrow shinning through the track like This Is Hell, Costello brings back the earlier vibe of his career. Performance and production of the album won't let you rest until you're stop with changing all sides of the vinyl. This album is for a good reason included into one of the must hear albums before living this planet.

Brutal Youth is for the first time brought to vinyl by Music On Vinyl. Sound reminds me on the atmosphere of some Dylan albums. This 180g vinyl with gatefold sleeves, brings the intimate recordings to life with great feel of studio work. Dead quiet pressing for sure enliven the impact of musicianship and creational energy that floats across the whole album. Great mastering and clear sounding vinyl revive album tracks with authority and grate pace.

Another first on vinyl push Music On Vinyl on the fronts of labels for music connoisseurs and audiophiles. Thanks Erik!
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Spike appears to be Music On Vinyl's follow-up release to Brutal Youth

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/504600-01.htm

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Elvis-Co ... gr_5531333
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm fine with them bringing other WB-era albums back into print on vinyl, but let's hope they don't dally too long before issuing Kojak Variety and Painted From Memory.

I'd hate for them to make the mistake that Hip-O made by releasing all the stuff that everybody had (in their "live" series) so that they ran out of steam before they got around to the stuff everybody wanted to buy...
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Pigalle wrote:Spike appears to be Music On Vinyl's follow-up release to Brutal Youth

http://www.juno.co.uk/ppps/products/504600-01.htm

http://www.hmv.co.jp/en/artist_Elvis-Co ... gr_5531333
Music On Vinyl webpage on Spike: http://www.musiconvinyl.com/releases/El ... ello/Spike
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
cwr

Post by cwr »

I'm grateful to Music On Vinyl for finally putting out BY on LP, and I have no reason to purchase another vinyl edition of SPIKE.

I wonder if it was their decision or EC's to not include the CD/cassette "bonus track" "Coal Train Robberies" on this edition. I personally think that, without it, the album is a little too dreary at the very end. CTR is a much-needed burst of energy.
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

Got the Spike LP yesterday - nice to heavy the glossy cover and the semi-heavy-weight vinyl (which pays excellently). My only gripe is that the printing of the cover looks a bit fuzzy, especially on the lettering. Looks like a lower resolution blown up ... :cry: