New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
Neil.

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by Neil. »

John wrote:Surely a second "single" would make a load of sense. The video for Walk Us Uptown has over 282,000 hits. If I was I new fan hearing a second track I liked would probably convince me to buy the album. It would also keep the record on the radio.
Yes, I definitely think they need to move on from Walk Us Uptown. As I say, the song 'Wise Up Ghost' has a very startling opening which I think would prick up ears on the radio, and I think the spooky/uplifting mantra would get into a lot of people's heads, and create a lot of dance remixes (even though I'm not into dance remixes). They just need to fade it out earlier for the radio stations, as it's too long for the radio at the moment.

It also has a tinge of 70s concept album epicness to it that a lot of older non-Elvis fans might get into.

What're your thoughts on the best follow-up 'single'?
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

Yanyna wrote:Does somebody know why some words in the names of songs are written with capital letters?
He did the same thing way back in 1983 if you look at the lyric sheet for the Punch The Clock LP. Certain words were ALL CAPS for some reason . . .
John

Post by John »

Neil. wrote:What're your thoughts on the best follow-up 'single'?
Sugar Won't Work is probably the only song that wouldn't need shortening. Mrs John likes it so maybe this one? Tripwire and Conco Minutos Con Vos are gorgeous so maybe one of these? Piano ballads have been popular for a while so maybe If I Could Believe? Possibly Refuse To Be Saved even though the lyrics are familiar to us?

I wonder if Wise Up Ghost would seem a little unsatisfactory with an early fade? That line "Yield some sighs up" I found difficult to make out until I just looked it up on the wiki page.
rightbrain

Post by rightbrain »

I wonder if Wise Up Ghost would seem a little unsatisfactory with an early fade? That line "Yield some sighs up" I found difficult to make out until I just looked it up on the wiki page.[/quote]

"Yield some sighs up" is a great line.

From the Gospel according to St. Mark (Chapter 8; Verse 12): "And sighing deeply in spirit, he saith: Why doth this generation seek a sign? Amen, I say to you, a sign shall not be given to this generation."

It's as if the we want answers to all the chaos in the world, but we're just not getting them. So wise up, Ghost! When are you going to rise, up? We're all yielding some sighs up (but we're not getting a sign, or answer in return).
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

Frankly, I find "Wake Me Up" to be the only song on the album that gets a little tiresome, speaking of song length.

"Sugar Won’t Work", "Refuse To Be Saved", and "Stick Out Your Tongue" really build up into quite a groove. "Wake Me Up" - not so much.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

The obvious next single is "Come the Meantimes." Fast, funky, catchy and distinctive. It's a no-brainer in my book. 8)
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.hiphopdx.com/index/news/id.2 ... -9-22-2013

Hip Hop Album Sales: The Week Ending 9/22/2013

by Andres Tardio

September 25, 2013

Elvis Costello & The Roots Appear On Charts With Wise Up Ghosts And Other Songs

The Roots and Elvis Costello teamed up for Wise Up Ghosts And Other Songs, an album that entered the charts at #16. Wise Up Ghosts And Other Songs sold approximately 18,000 units this week as it debuted on the charts. In January 2013, The Roots' ?uestlove spoke about how the group's collaboration with Costello came about. "It was really love at first sight," ?uestlove said in the article. "The second time he came on ['Late Night with Jimmy Fallon'], we surpassed the first one. So by the third time, he was like, 'Let's stop messing around and do something together.'" Costello has been behind several solo selections, such as "Watching The Detectives," "Radio, Radio" and "Pump It Up." This marks the group's first collaborative project with Costello.
Heats101

Post by Heats101 »

After mutiple listens and getting to know each song really well I am throughly enjoying this fantastic and refreshing output.Favourites are so numerous and rather undermine the selective aspect of this word. Each have been constantly buzzing round my head since release.Is it me or do I detect "that was the take" being whisperd right after the ending Orchestral florish for "If I Could Believe." Apologies if this has been noted previously.Who is it ? Sounds an American accent.
Good manners and bad breath get you nowhere
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Heats101 wrote:Is it me or do I detect "that was the take" being whisperd right after the ending Orchestral florish for "If I Could Believe." Apologies if this has been noted previously.Who is it ? Sounds an American accent.
I think the consensus is that it's the producer, Steven Mandel.

Just getting into the album after its late arrival. All the new songs are wonderful - Sugar Won't Work, Come The Meantimes, Cinco Minutos, Viceroy's Row... amazing stuff.

I'm finding the recycled lyrics ones less interesting - Wake Me Up, Stick Out Your Tongue and Grenade haven't left a melodic mark like the others have. My New Haunt and Puppet should have replaced them on the album, I think - but I can see why they were left off: they're more inward, more personal, whereas the rest of the songs are outward-looking, grimacing at the state of the world.

I'm gasping at some of the new lyrics - well done, Elv! Love the gun with the flag moment in 'Puppet'.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Poor Deportee wrote:The obvious next single is "Come the Meantimes." Fast, funky, catchy and distinctive. It's a no-brainer in my book. 8)
I'm quickly coming around to this idea! Amazing track! Though as someone else said - Sugar Won't Work is pretty amazing, too - and of a radio-friendly length!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Sugar wont work sounds a radio hit to me. Something maybe Radio 2 could play here in the UK.

I don't want to build the hopes up VG, John and all those waiting for WOWHD. but I believe my CD has come today. I haven't seen it personally but Mrs Sheep said it has arrived
John

Post by John »

sheeptotheslaughter wrote: I don't want to build the hopes up VG, John and all those waiting for WOWHD. but I believe my CD has come today. I haven't seen it personally but Mrs Sheep said it has arrived
Just checked in with Mrs John - still not come - surely tomorrow!

Will Mrs Sheep have played it? Mrs John will have more than likely hidden my copy - the rest of the family are a little Elvised out at the moment. Now that 's a thing, maybe I should ask for a proof of delivery?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

I have grown to appreciate with each listen the strings run up into the ether which begins as "Walk Us Uptown" ends and which returns at the end of "If I Could Believe". It manages to bookmark the intervening songs as if they were 'disturbing' or 'ghostly dreams' which is only reinforced with the various instrumental echo distortions and studio 'ghostly' vocalization effects that populate each tune. It is as if the opening track spawns these uneasy subsequent night fevered musings. Quite a neat trick for my ears. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

I would say Tripwire or Cinco should be them, best radio songs, best songs on album in the eyes of many people.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Neil. wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:The obvious next single is "Come the Meantimes." Fast, funky, catchy and distinctive. It's a no-brainer in my book. 8)
I'm quickly coming around to this idea! Amazing track! Though as someone else said - Sugar Won't Work is pretty amazing, too - and of a radio-friendly length!
I'm no radio programmer, but 'Sugar' is too 'muso' to be a hit. (Tellingly, the HMV where I bought the album changed the CD it was playing halfway through that song). What Joe Public is looking for is a single that will reinforce the impression of table-taping grooviness created by 'Walk Us Uptown,' IMHO. Reel 'em in hook line and sinker with 'Meantimes,' I say!!
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Just checked in with Mrs John - still not come - surely tomorrow!

Will Mrs Sheep have played it? Mrs John will have more than likely hidden my copy - the rest of the family are a little Elvised out at the moment. Now that 's a thing, maybe I should ask for a proof of delivery?[/quote]

Just to confirm it was the CD, came from Hong Kong (by snail I assume). It was still in the wrapping when I got home. The rest of the Sheep family are not Elvis fans so we sound we are in the same boat John. Although my wife and daughter did come to see him at Southend and Hyde Park this summer.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Still haven't got the CD. :-(
However, my brother's going to Atlanta in a couple of days.
Anyone knows which record shop he should pop into to get me a deluxe edition of WUG ?
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
John

Post by John »

Interesting to see that the album has started to climb the Amazon US chart again, back up to 11 today after dropping to 21 earlier in the week. It would be great if this album could sell over a longer period of time than usual and not disappear quickly.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Hasn't the price gone down from 14.99$ to 11.88$ ?
Now that's a bargain for the deluxe edition.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
John

Post by John »

invisible Pole wrote:Hasn't the price gone down from 14.99$ to 11.88$ ?
Now that's a bargain for the deluxe edition.
So it has. That'll probably be the reason for the climb in the chart. Maybe the cheaper cds are sourced from Hong Kong and they may or may not arrive in about 2 weeks.
Emotional Toothpaste

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

Sugar Won't Work, Cinco, and Tripwire are the obvious singles to me.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Miclewis wrote:Frankly, I find "Wake Me Up" to be the only song on the album that gets a little tiresome, speaking of song length.
I agree about the album version. Interestingly, Wake Me Up was a great opener in Brooklyn. Questlove used the basic beat to introduce The Roots, one by one, then EC came on stage to start the vocals. It really worked well. The intro isn't on this video, but you get a sense of the overall vibe.

Who Shot Sam?

Post by Who Shot Sam? »

Loving WUG.
Mother, Moose-Hunter, Maverick
John

Post by John »

bricas wrote:Has anyone seen this?
http://www.allmusic.com/album/wise-up-g ... 0002582067
I haven't heard anything about it (and google isn't helping).
-Brian
They'll be working hard on something just like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUAEb1EYvE
when i was cruel

Post by when i was cruel »

John wrote:
bricas wrote:Has anyone seen this?
http://www.allmusic.com/album/wise-up-g ... 0002582067
I haven't heard anything about it (and google isn't helping).
-Brian
They'll be working hard on something just like this

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fGUAEb1EYvE
HAHAHA That'd be hilarious
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.