Did we celebrate this forum's 10th birthday?

Pretty self-explanatory
pophead2k

Did we celebrate this forum's 10th birthday?

Post by pophead2k »

I was gone for a lot of June so sorry if this is a repeat. To the best of my recollection, the current forum (which evolved from earlier forums on EC's own site) came into being in early summer 2003. Not too many of us still here regularly it seems, but thanks to all for ten years of enlightenment, argument, merriment and appreciation of our lad. It's been a pleasure becoming both electronic friends and in some cases meeting up with you in person. Cheers y'all!
bronxapostle

Re: Did we celebrate this forum's 10th birthday?

Post by bronxapostle »

or our friends 59th birthday today??? HAPPY BIRTHDAY DPAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
jmm

Post by jmm »

Ten years!!

thanks for being a group I'm proud to be a part of, even if not from the very start

Isn't it about time for a whole new set of reissues for us all to buy?????
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Isn't it about time for a whole new set of reissues for us all to buy?????
This isn't an excuse for VG to recycle his puns !¬ :roll: :lol:

It's been a joy and a privilege to be in touch with so many like minded fans and enthusiasts - here's to another great 10 years - and Happy B, Elvis !
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Good point. It was June 2 2003 with Taz starting it off. There were two earlier incarnations I was on. I started Sept 2002, only recently with internet at home and excited to thing the EC Hammersmith Odeon gig that month was being attended by fellow board members with their own special names. That was the site that went up in flames with the briefly re-appearing recently in some linked way to this site with one Zebrasnake and that whole weird Bebe Buell obsession. Then Narbawlz started a replacement and disappeared with some ghastly lung illness or the like, and then June '03 this one. It's quite interesting to look at the list of joiners from then and see who's still around. Good job EC's been pretty active of late or it would have got very dried up, as was looking the case a few years back. For some time I was the lead poster, but now John F quite rightly is on 10.5k, 2k ahead of me, and almost all of it informative and EC focussed. Many people have drifted off to Facebook, Twitter, blogs, etc. I've never bothered with any of them, but always taken pleasure in writing on Elvis and non-Elvis related topics here. It's pretty well the only internet text I post.

Doc Spooky and Spooky G must still be there hosting it and presumably paying for it. If so, huge thanks! We had a whip round once. Blue Chair, official moderator, is long gone.

Long may it live, and long may Elvis be doing stuff.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I made the transformation from the old board to the new board 3 days before I got married.

I remember receiving some complimentary comments from old board members at that time to come to the new board. I've gone on to meet some of them and getting sulky here so sorry about that :lol:

I've sorted out the meet ups and have made some very good friendships with people I've met and not met. And of course, my wit, wisdom, charm, good looks and dancing have made me popular with both sexes :lol:

My favourite ever post will be from so lack for a mash up song title called You'll never be a horse. It still makes me laugh. I posted a Halloween Elvis songs post of Pumpkin Up which still make Misha laugh after God knows how many years.

It's now the only forum I post on and, like my good friend Otis, I don't use Twitter, Facebook etc.

Here's to the next 10 years and particular thanks to Dr and Mrs Spooky.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Though not an original member, defacto perhaps by way of my long time friendship with a former board member, Alexv, this site has become a welcome home for me over the last four years. It celebrates a subject that is important to my mental life and sensibilities. It has also provided the seed for several, I hope, new long term friendships. It is frequently where I feel most engaged with the world around me through usage of the internet because it is a little community. I participate on facebook but it is frequently just a place to keep up with family as no one writes a proper letter any longer. Even if it feels lately that the glow and warmth of the communal campfire has dimmed to just embers I will continue to huddle around the glow of those embers for that warmth and good company. Thank you to those still involved for continuing to offer a place around the 'fire'.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
krm

Post by krm »

I enjoy this place! Thanks all!
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

I forget when I first signed on...I have vague memories of doing so either to this forum or its predecessor a long time ago, back around the time EC was running a regular blog (including answering questions) during the WIWC tour. Then I went away for years, consumed with other things. So I suppose I'm not really part of the longstanding "core" hereabouts and I can't for the life of me recall what specific issue pulled me back, but the site definitely has its moments - and has yielded at least one long-distance friendship that, for all its "virtual" dimension, has been a gift, just fallen from the sky. For whatever reason, I seldom encounter in my daily affairs people who share my musical interests, and so this site (along with Dylan site "Expecting Rain") have worked wonders at times in helping me express these passions.

Plus the impending new record and cwr's wonderful retrospective project have really jazzed things up of late. I hope that sprightly pace keeps going.

In short: kudos to all involved! (And yes, I'll try to trim my posts a bit going forward :mrgreen: )
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
Otis Westinghouse

Poor Deportee wrote:I forget when I first signed on
Jan 2 2006. (Your profile tells us!)

Isn't Expecting Rain just too much of an avalanche? That's my experience of looking at the equivalent Bowie and Morrisey fora, avalanches.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:
Poor Deportee wrote:I forget when I first signed on
Jan 2 2006. (Your profile tells us!)

Isn't Expecting Rain just too much of an avalanche? That's my experience of looking at the equivalent Bowie and Morrisey fora, avalanches.
Yeah...memory is a slippery thing, but I'm 99% certain that I was around in some earlier iteration. When did EC do that thing where he was answering online questions (including giving people "The Finger" when they complained)? I'm sure it was around WIWC, and I have clear memories of posting on an online EC forum around that time. Must have been, 2002, 2003.

Expecting Rain is a lot to bite off, no question. But just focusing on specific threads of interest (and ignoring things about how sexy Bob's feet are, etc.) helps. I suppose I'd like this forum to have a touch more of the richness of that one, but the "avalanche" issue is legit.
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Poor Deportee wrote:When did EC do that thing where he was answering online questions (including giving people "The Finger" when they complained)?
Ymaginatif

Post by Ymaginatif »

I've always been more of an 'audience member' here, I'm afraid.

Still, enjoying the ride, and I admire the knowledge and generosity of the regulars here 8)
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

Well, I don't hang around here as much as I used to, but I can tell you that Joel(DrSpooky) and I do at least one task a day or more to keep the forum going. Bless Joel...he also has for years now been hosting the EC Wiki at elviscostello.info. I really should take time from writing to come back and check in...after publishing my book in February I tend to be so engrossed in my writing again that I get lost in it. It takes a little more effort to come back over here, but I miss many of you and appreciate the enthusiasm you still exhibit over all things EC related and otherwise. Joel is in France right now, and it's the middle of the night there, but I'm sure he'll log in tomorrow or so. :)

And while we don't ask for anything in return, it is costly to operate the fan forum and the EC Wiki, so an occasional donation would, of course, be much appreciated. :)
migdd

Post by migdd »

Hi, M! Thanks so much for checking in! BTW all, the Spookies sponsor and finance this site. Any contributions to these fine folks would go a long way to keep our beloved forum operational. Joel and Michele operate this site out of pure love and any financial help would be greatly appreciated, I'm sure! Thanks again, Sherrills!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Here's the link for helping this site -

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/helpthesite.html
BlueChair

Post by BlueChair »

Hello everybody!

Life has become a busy thing for BlueChair & RedShoes. We recently celebrated our 6th wedding anniversary, our daughter Violet is 2 1/2 and we are expecting our second child in February. I am doing well in my career at one of Canada's large media companies and when I'm not at work I'm mostly focused on time with my family.

Still listening to a ton of music... recent albums in heavy rotation include Mavis Staples' One True Vine and Elliot Brood's Days Into Years. Looking forward to picking up Bob Dylan's Another Self Portrait before a long road trip this weekend to see my in-laws. Not buying a ton of CDs anymore... mostly vinyl or iTunes. My Macbook Air doesn't even have a disc drive.

Sorry for my absence... I'll try to pop around every once in a while to say hi :D Appreciate staying connected to a few of you via Facebook.
This morning you've got time for a hot, home-cooked breakfast! Delicious and piping hot in only 3 microwave minutes.
Otis Westinghouse

Talk of the devil! Good to know you're out there and doing well. Good luck with number 2, etc.

I still haven't checked out the first Mavis Staples album done with Jeff Tweedy. Now there are two of them (wasn't even aware of this, too much to take in out there!).

Hope to see you once in a while round these parts.
spooky girlfriend
Site Admin

Post by spooky girlfriend »

I'd forgotten how much I missed you guys...sniff sniff...
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Lovely to hear from BlueChair and Spooky. Not sure if it's coincidence but I had the thought to email Red Shoes earlier today and caught up very briefly with her. So pleased to hear about baby number 2. Red and Blue equalled Violet so what will the new little one be called...

There are a lot of people who view the forum without signing in but it would be nice if you post something so we know you're still around. Who knows what it might lead to :wink:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Hello darlings! Someone told me I was name-checked on this thread—I'm not, but I'm sure I'm right at the back of your collective mind, no? Anyway, my big news is that I have a three-month-old baby boy whose middle name is Elvis. ("miss buenos aires" was my username on a dating site back in the day, and this one guy got the reference, so obviously I had to marry him.) I just found out my corporate overlords may actively be tracking my Internet usage, otherwise I would probably jump back in here with both feet! Miss this place...
Otis Westinghouse

Blimey, it's like a high school reunion! Well big congrats. Lovely to hear. What's his first name? I guess he hasn't got much choice but to love his middle-nakmesake! I can tell you too ways you've been in my collective mind in recent months, both connected to CDs you kindly sent (back in that pre-Spotify/all of musical history on YouTube world!): had a powerful urge to listen to the first Decemberists album the other day, specifically Engine Driver; and earlier in the season I spent a week on Lafayette Street, the very same one my beloved Bowie still lives on, very much at the Nolita end of it, as in that lovely Keren Ann record. So memories do linger. Do check in here from time to time.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Why wouldn't we all be here? We have great taste in music! Nice to know you all! x
miss buenos aires

Post by miss buenos aires »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Blimey, it's like a high school reunion! Well big congrats. Lovely to hear. What's his first name? I guess he hasn't got much choice but to love his middle-nakmesake! I can tell you too ways you've been in my collective mind in recent months, both connected to CDs you kindly sent (back in that pre-Spotify/all of musical history on YouTube world!): had a powerful urge to listen to the first Decemberists album the other day, specifically Engine Driver; and earlier in the season I spent a week on Lafayette Street, the very same one my beloved Bowie still lives on, very much at the Nolita end of it, as in that lovely Keren Ann record. So memories do linger. Do check in here from time to time.
Aw, how sweet! The physical world is so rapidly slipping away from us, isn't it? The minimalist in me fights with the stodgy romantic who likes tangible things; they've reached an uneasy truce. I still have an intact CD collection but have come to the habit of checking books out of the library.

My son's first name is Desmond—I had about a dozen guidelines for name selection and that was the only one that fulfilled every one, so he's going to have to be an only child...
Otis Westinghouse

You could have another child with a hieroglyph or something. Desmond is cool. Desmond Elvis, like it.