Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Cardiff , 1 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

http://blakeson.blogspot.ie/2013/06/elv ... -hall.html

Monday, June 03, 2013

Elvis Costello & The Imposters @ St David's Hall

OTHNIEL SMITH

Compared to many in attendance at the Elvis Costello and the Imposters show at St David’s Hall on Saturday, I must appear something of a part-time fan, only having seen him play five times before. They were all memorable occasions, though – twice at the old Cardiff Top Rank in the ‘80s, twice before at the Hall, and at the Feile Festival in Ireland in 1992, when he was going through his Jerry Garcia phase (also a fond memory of a rare holiday with my late brother.) The latest show, however, was especially magical.

The stage set-up is inventive, with its old-time entertainment theme – a fairground “test-your-strength” machine, a burlesque-costumed woman dancing in a cage, a lounge area with “solid gold” chairs; and, of course, the return of the Spinning Songbook – a wheel which members of the audience (marshalled by the Mysterious Josephine) are invited up on stage to spin in order to make song selections – although, in truth, it’s configured in such a way as to give Elvis something of a free hand. And Elvis himself acts the genial host, Napoleon Dynamite, with great assurance and good humour.

As for the songs themselves, the selection focussed, understandably, on his commercial peak period of the ‘80s – he kicked off a with a high-powered mini-set commencing with “I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down” and “High Fidelity”; the lyrical coda to “Alison” contained a nod to Jimi Hendrix; album tracks “London’s Brilliant Parade” and “Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head” received a rare outing; the recent “National Ransom” album was represented by “A Slow Drag With Josephine” and “Jimmie Standing In The Rain”; during an extended “Watching The Detectives” he prowled the stalls (sadly I was way up in the cheaper seats); and the main set concluded with his Thatcher ode “Tramp The Dirt Down”, complete with impassioned spoken introduction. Highlights from the mercifully lengthy encore segment included a rendition of “I Still Have That Other Girl” from the legendary Costello-Bacharach album “Painted From Memory” and a climactic “What’s So Funny ‘Bout Peace, Love and Understanding”.

The voice was as cutting as ever; the mood in the house (inexplicably not a sell-out) was jubilant. Two and a half hours of peerless entertainment from the pre-eminent singer-songwriter of his generation.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello & The Imposters, St David’s Hall
By Kevin Ward - Editor

THE best part of 40 years after first hitting the charts, Elvis Costello remains one of Britain’s finest songwriters and performers.

His latest tour sees him mining the rich vein of his varied writing and recording career in a show that brings him closer to his audience than ever before.

Backed by The Imposters (effectively The Attractions minus bass player Bruce Thomas), Costello launches the show with frenetic versions of I Can’t Stand Up For Falling Down, Uncomplicated and High Fidelity that get the St David’s Hall audience out of their seats from the off.

There follows almost two and a half hours of brilliance on a stage dominated by a giant spinning wheel covered in song titles that audience members are invited up on stage to spin.

Costello and co then play whatever song the wheel stops on.

So we get the hits – Oliver’s Army, Radio Radio, Pump It Up, Watching The Detectives, Good Year For The Roses – interspersed with newer songs like Jimmie Standing In The Rain and A Slow Drag With Josephine.

Costello also plays a spellbinding version of Shipbuilding and a vicious Tramp The Dirt Down, along with long forgotten album tracks from his collaborations with Sir Paul McCartney (So Like Candy from the Mighty Like A Rose album) and Burt Bacharach (I Still Have That Other Girl from Painted From Memory), the latter highlighting the richness that maturity has brought to his voice.

A tremendous show from one of Britain’s true giants of the rock era.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.walesonline.co.uk/whats-on/m ... rs-4044573

Review: Elvis Costello & The Imposters, St David's Hall, Cardiff
3 Jun 2013 16:49

Tony Woolway was blown away by the veteran performer's latest tour when he saw him perform at Cardiff's St David's Hall

Since breaking onto the scene way back in 1977 to high acclaim with his debut album My Aim Is True, Elvis Costello has dazzled and surprised with both his vast body of work and his diversity.

The thing is, you can never pigeonhole him.

His musical influences shine through and whether it be blues, soul, country or rock influenced, the songs all come packaged in Costello’s own unique and inimitable style.

Thankfully, visits to Cardiff have featured regularly on Costello’s tour itinerary playing with first The Attractions, as a solo artist, a duo with his faithful ivory-tinkling bandmate Steve Nieve, and on Saturday evening, The Impostors, with another Costello stalwart Pete Thomas on drums and bassist Davey Faragher.

One thing fans of Costello expect is a fast pace and from the time the band bounded onto the stage until they left 2 hours and 30 jaw-dropping minutes and 30 songs later, there was no let up, even in the quieter, more reflective moments.

The introduction of the spinning songbook, a huge wheel containing a large and impressive selection of Costello masterpieces helped the audience catch their breath as unsuspecting punters were encouraged to spin the wheel by Costello in the guise of Napoleon Dynamite, master of ceremonies, and to go-go dance with the delectable Dixie De La Fontaine in the Las Vegas-style go-go cage.

One Cardiff couple, Jon and Chrissy, spun the wheel leading Costello into a superb version of the Dave Edmund’s Girls Talk, with local boy Edmunds being described by Costello as “The King of Monmouth” followed swiftly by a fast, snappy version of Nick Lowe’s wonderful Heart Of The City.

No one would leave disappointed as Costello dusted down the classics with hits such as Radio, Radio, (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea and a riveting version of Watching The Detectives, but the real highlights for me were the slightly quieter moments with a brilliant I Still Have That Other Girl from his collaboration with the great Burt Bacharach plus a version of Tramp That Dirt Down, that sent shivers down your spine.

In a day where the word legend is so freely used in the music industry to describe some quite mediocre talents, only in a handful of cases does the description fit and Costello is certainly one of them.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

My recording ( with samples ! Thanks Doc) now on dime :-
Torrent #461664 Elvis Costello And The Imposters Cardiff 1 June 2013
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sulky lad wrote:My recording ( with samples ! Thanks Doc) now on dime :-
Torrent #461664 Elvis Costello And The Imposters Cardiff 1 June 2013
Thanks for uploading and you're welcome...but there are no samples on my screen.

?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sorry, dime keeps rejecting my comment- did I make thee mp3 incorrectly ? I used EAC to make it from the CD of the show . Any help appreciated !
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

sulky lad wrote:Sorry, dime keeps rejecting my comment- did I make thee mp3 incorrectly ? I used EAC to make it from the CD of the show . Any help appreciated !
When it rejects a comment, I think it usually gives a reason...

(attachments larger than 2 MB could be the reason.)
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Any good reason why the torrent was banned from Dime ?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Applogies to all downloading this , apparently there's a problem with track 2 High Fidelity. Will recreate FLAC files tonight and try again ! :(
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Apologies to all - re-seed now up on dime again
http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=462275