Re: Steve Nieve'e new album has a June release date

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0llHK0jf ... ture=share

That's me (at 5.11) in Steve Nieve's video
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I love Steve but that song... I dunno :|
Last edited by the_platypus on Mon Apr 15, 2013 5:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I love Steve but that song is... not... good.
The video seems to be a work in progress, featuring a loop of a extract from the song.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I just got a e-mail from Steve Nieve ! I'd found a 1983 review (Hot Press, Nov. 11 '83) of his Keyboard Jungle album and sent it to his site. He replied -

' Thank you very much for kindly sending me this piece. A new one on me too.
Trust all is well with you,
Maybe see you on the upcoming wheel tour?'

Such a thrill !

I replied with thanks & sent him a link to this thread , telling him of our anticipation of his new album.
krm

Post by krm »

the anticipation of the upcoming wheel tour is actually a wee bit higher :-)
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

johnfoyle wrote:
I love Steve but that song is... not... good.
The video seems to be a work in progress, featuring a loop of a extract from the song.
Figured as much. I don't know how I feel about the song, based on the extract we've heard, but perhaps I should wait until I hear the whole thing. It just seems a little too... power-metal for my tastes. Still, I'm excited about the release of this album. Steve can write some beautiful melodies.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The release date is now September 30.

http://twitter.com/stevenieve/status/360041627701616641
And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/stevenieve/status/360583727170072576
Steve Nieve wrote:I am so proud of this record, and the collaborations with some of my best friends, you'll hear it soon. Out Sept 30! http://pic.twitter.com/xJsiluV9nm

And No Coffee Table

Re: Steve Nieve'e new album due Sept 30 '13

The US release will be October 8 on 429 Records. The website has clips from all the songs.

http://www.429records.com/sites/429reco ... enieve.asp
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Steve and Cali, sing U2's "Sunday, Bloody Sunday". Not sure whether this will be a track on the new album..

Also, Steve Nieve - Pianiste professionnel with Tall Ulysses: YouTube

MOOT
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

They chose an unusual trio of LPs to represent "some of Costello's most influential influential albums of the era."
As the original keyboardist for Elvis Costello & The Attractions, Steve Nieve is no stranger to working with top talent. A Royal College Of Music student, Nieve was an integral part of The Attractions, playing on some of Costello's most influential albums of the era including This Year's Model, Blood And Chocolate, and Goodbye Cruel World. In the years since, he has been inducted into the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame and racked up more than 6 solo albums. For ToGetHer, Nieve recruited friends like Costello, Sting, Vanessa Paradis, Laurie Anderson, Ron Sexsmith and many more to duet on an album of all original, inventive material.
They should replace B&C and GCW with, I don't know, maybe Armed Forces and Imperial Bedroom.
And No Coffee Table

Only Maurice Worm should be allowed to tout his work on Goodbye Cruel World.

It's funny that "You Lie Sweetly" is finally going to be released, but it's sung by Sting rather than EC.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Nice cover, generally interesting list of collaborators, and Ron S is on it! But...

Checked out the clips. No disrespect to a keyboard genius, but it mostly sounds pretty dire to me. The dated power pop 80s sound of much of it is v off-putting. Sting sounds awful and his son not much better (you can hear the genetic imprint). Elvis fine, Laurie OK, Ron good, always nice to hear Robert Wyatt, even in French, but overall, this is one CD I can happily not feel I have to buy!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.noise11.com/news/steve-nieve ... m-20130914

Steve Nieve Assembles Allstar Cast For New Album

Legendary Elvis Costello and The Attractions / The Imposters keyboardist Steve Nieve has gathered his famous friends including Sting and Elvis for his next album.

Nieve has signed with 429 Records and is gearing up for the release October 8th of ToGetHer, a collection of original songs featuring collaborations with a long line of noted artists including Sting, Costello, Laurie Anderson, Glenn Tillbrook, Robert Wyatt, Ron Sexsmith, Vanessa Paradis, Harper Simon (son of Paul), Joe Sumner (son of Sting) and French talents Tall Ulyss, Cali, Alain Chamfort and Muriel Teodori (Nieve’s life partner).

The British born musician now residing in Paris has composed a collection of songs in a pop/ rock vein incorporating a heady mix of experimental, theatrical, classical and French styles. Produced and written with Teodori (with whom he composed the 2007 classical opera Welcome to the Voice) and French musician Tall Ulyss (front man of the popular rock group Tall Ulysses), and with the help of musicians Vincent Segal (cello), Francois Poggio (electric guitar) and Benoit de Segonzac (bass), Nieve has crafted an song cycle that’s both a contemporary musical statement and an ode to his adopted home of France. ToGetHer will be released on 429 Records October 8th.

Inducted into the Rock Hall of Fame as a member of The Attractions, Steve Nieve has spent the last 36 years performing with Elvis Costello and releasing his own solo work. A departure from his former solo releases which showcased the classical and minimalist side of his craft, ToGetHer is a fully fledged pop rock manifesto masterfully utilizing the talents of artists he has known and respected through the years and who help him realize his unique musical vision outside of his comfort zone.

Says Nieve: “I truly love what we have created with ToGetHer, and the thing I enjoyed the most was hearing the songs finally come to life, each time … all these strong, clear, beautiful voices coming together to help me share and give rise to my vision,” he adds. “I am so blessed to have so many great musical friends who could be part of this journey to create what is, in essence, a true chorale album.”

Track List:
Save the World (w/ Tall Ulyss)
Conversation (w/ Vanessa Paradis)
You Lie Sweetly (w/ Sting)
What a Holiday (Pandemonium) (w/ Harper Simon)
Tender Moment (Kairos) (w/ Elvis Costello)
Up (w/ Joe Sumner)
Vertigo (w/ Laurie Anderson)
Life Preserver
Halloween (Bonfire Night) (w/Ron Sexsmith)
I Do Not Miss You (Nostalgia #2) (w/ Glenn Tillbrook)
La Plus Jolie Langue (w/Robert Wyatt & Muriel Teodori)
La Crise (w/ Cali)
Vous A L’Oubli (w/ Alain Chamfort)
Burn the Past (w/ Joe Sumner)
Summer Song (Espionage) (w/ Glenn Tillbrook)
Xtra track
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Nice cover, generally interesting list of collaborators, and Ron S is on it! But...

Checked out the clips. No disrespect to a keyboard genius, but it mostly sounds pretty dire to me. The dated power pop 80s sound of much of it is v off-putting. Sting sounds awful and his son not much better (you can hear the genetic imprint). Elvis fine, Laurie OK, Ron good, always nice to hear Robert Wyatt, even in French, but overall, this is one CD I can happily not feel I have to buy!

I haven't bought any of Steve's albums but I did think about investing in this. Perhaps I should try and hear it first.
And No Coffee Table

Elvis' track "Tender Moment (Kairos)" can be heard here:
http://soundcloud.com/429records/tender ... iros-steve
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Steve's album is released to day in France - I've just ordered it from here - http://www.amazon.fr/dp/B00BAY8YTY/ref= ... GG.1FJP9TV
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

I've been enjoying Steve Nieve 's new album, Together , after he kindly sent me an advance copy of the U.S. edition. After playing it all morning at work the tracks that really catch me ear are 9-10, featuring Ron Sexsmith, Glenn Tilbrook & Robert Wyatt. I Do Not Miss You (Nostalgia # 2) , with Glenn ,is up there with any of the Squeeze Official catalogue , a delightfully acerbic look back at a 1970s childhood. The combination of Steve 'n Glenn's voices reminds me of Duncan Browne , a sadly forgotten voice from that period. I look forward to hearing this album properly.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I just saw Glenn Tillbrook last week. He was great. Fun show. He is touring around the US. Check out his schedule. Worth seeing!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

What with one & another I only got a chance to have a proper listen to the album this afternoon. It's truly a sonic treat, Chris Athen's ( Coldplay etc.) mastering unleashing a barrage of musical elements. Along with the trio of tracks I was taken with yesterday I have to add Laurie Anderson's cool narration on Vertigo. Vanessa Paradis' Conversation is another goodie, with the cacophony of sound on it particularly catchy when what sounds like a classic bit of Attraction's type Farfisa playing trills through it , presumably played by Steve. Sting's go at You Lie Sweetly is just about growing on me, though a quick play through of a version with Elvis ( from a bootleg of a 1999 Toronto show) show's what a missed opportunity that was. Elvis's vocal on Tender Moments seems a little detached, just lacking that certain something, which may be explained by the credit that tells us it was overdubbed in Vancouver on to a backing track from elsewhere. Other tracks have still to really impress me but , as I said, it's such a fabulous sounding production I will persist & see if they will.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

The French edition I bought from Amazon France arrived today. On the left in this photo, it has the same content but has a far more elaborate , fold out cardboard packaging. Very handsome indeed. c'est magnifique!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.