Elvis with Johnny Cash May 1989 and Other Videos

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Elvis with Johnny Cash May 1989 and Other Videos

Post by FAVEHOUR »

At the request of ANCT, renewing his request from 4 years ago (sorry!!!), here is EC onstage at the Albert with the whole Johnny Cash/June Carter Cash revue, and Nick as well, singing a bit of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken".

Dave

Remember, anyone looking for a clip like this, just drop me a line. I very well might have it!
Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis with Johnny Cash May 1989 Video

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Awesome! Thank you!

Here's the background from the Almost Blue Rhino liner notes:
My final thought is of another concert at the Royal Albert Hall in the late ‘80s, where Nick Lowe and I both made guest appearances with Johnny and the Carter Family. Having joined Johnny to sing "The Big Light" a couple of nights earlier during his surprise appearance at a Carter Family show at the Mean Fiddler club, I repeated the duet in the big hall. Finally, we were all called up for the finale of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken". During one of the solos, June sidled up to me and said, "You take the next verse". I replied, "I can't. You've already sung all the verses I know". June smiled and said, "Make one up". So I did. When one of The Carter Family tells you to make up a verse of an old song, you just obey.
Is EC's memory off about the Mean Fiddler and Royal Albert Hall appearances being only days apart? The gigography on the wiki site has the Mean Fiddler show as August 31, 1987 and the Royal Albert Hall show as May 13, 1989.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table wrote:The gigography on the wiki site has the Mean Fiddler show as August 31, 1987 and the Royal Albert Hall show as May 13, 1989.
That matches the info on Lies & Inventions...
August 31st. 1987
Guest appearance performing "The Big Light" with Johnny Cash at the "Mean Fiddler" club in Harlesden, London during a Carter Family show.

<snip>

May 13th 1989
Duets with Johnny Cash on "The Big Light" and joins Cash, the Carter Family and Nick Lowe for a finale performance of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken" at the Royal Albert Hall.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Martin Belmont has some recollections here:

http://jeffcramer.blogspot.com/2011/04/ ... artin.html
VoiceInTheDark

Post by VoiceInTheDark »

Thanks Dave, I've wanted to see that for ages.

He also talks about it in this video: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gNobxebBEtg
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Remember, anyone looking for a clip like this, just drop me a line. I very well might have it!
This is a bit coals-to-Newscastle but do you have this Irish tv appearance from 1998?

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... 1998-12-18

I posted stills from it at this wiki link from a disintegrating VHS tape I had of it. Maybe a better copy got in to your collection.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

John,
I do have at least some of this. My memory is that it was incomplete. Maybe just the interview? But I will find it and post it for you.

Dave
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

John,

I found it! Posting now, it's horribly slow posting these so give it a few hours. I'll attach it to this post later too. All I have is about 8 minutes of interview, no performance with Steve.

If you still have the disintegrating VHS tape, I'd be glad to try to salvage it and make this a more complete clip!

Dave

Last edited by FAVEHOUR on Tue Aug 20, 2013 4:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Thanks ! I'll have a look and see it that tape is still intact & let you know.
And No Coffee Table

Re: Elvis with Johnny Cash May 1989 and Other Videos

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Spin magazine from August 1989 includes this:
Elvis Costello and Nick Lowe joined Johnny Cash onstage at Cash's Royal Albert Hall show for startling versions of "Will the Circle Be Unbroken" and Costello's "The Big Light." However, when Cash launched into an impromptu gospel segment, Costello looked sadly awkward and left quietly.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The Royal Albert Hall site also has a section on EC's appearances there, but basically says much the same thing:

"On 13 May 1989, he performed alongside Johnny Cash for a duet of Big Light and joined Cash, the Carter Family and Nick Lowe for an encore performance of Will The Circle Be Unbroken."

There appears to be an audience recording circulating, but this version as least does not include "Will The Circle Be Unbroken?"
Johnny Cash Infocenter.com

MOOT
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Here's the background from the Almost Blue Rhino liner notes:
My final thought is of another concert at the Royal Albert Hall in the late ‘80s, where Nick Lowe and I both made guest appearances with Johnny and the Carter Family. Having joined Johnny to sing "The Big Light" a couple of nights earlier during his surprise appearance at a Carter Family show at the Mean Fiddler club, I repeated the duet in the big hall. Finally, we were all called up for the finale of "Will The Circle Be Unbroken". During one of the solos, June sidled up to me and said, "You take the next verse". I replied, "I can't. You've already sung all the verses I know". June smiled and said, "Make one up". So I did. When one of The Carter Family tells you to make up a verse of an old song, you just obey.
Elvis tells a fuller version of this story onstage in Stanley Park, Vancouver in 2009 here: Youtube during an introduction to a performance of Hidden Shame. The relevant bit is 1 minute 15 seconds in.

MOOT
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Don't know if this is the correct thread for this, but it would fit the category of obscure videos that Elvis would rather be buried. :) New to youtube I think, the appearance with Tony Bennett and Count Basie in 1983.

It Don't Mean A Thing (If It Ain't Got That Swing)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yeARR70O6yw

The other song performed, "Lil' Darlin" has been up for a while.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=37MGZaz9DDE
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Newish to youtube

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Lqkxwkw ... e=youtu.be

Johnny Cash & family do The Big Light 1989