New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
Otis Westinghouse

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Checking out the three new ones with some trepidation as I do hate to spoil the magic of hurrying home with a new treat on release day, but just to whet my appetite... I'm with the Mojo man or whoever it was said this was destined to be a 'future classic'. Great variety of styles and great coming together of two very different musical sensibilities. I'm utterly loving the combination of his voice/words/style with the looseness of the grooves, the heavy funk + reggae basslines, the classiness of the horns and the general lack of clutter. Could well be top of the list of Costello collabs for me. They just sound like great songs, each one distinct. Wake Me Up the only one so far that is a reinvention, and as S Punch observes, of the lyrics of two different songs. No semi-filler to these ears. Music for all seasons.

Costello seems to be going through a great late phase. On the back of an excellent album of his own, he tours incessantly with the Imposters, reviving his great 80s gag in the process, and clearly having the time of his life playing to audiences of all sizes in as many countries as possible, putting to bed his silly embargo on touring in his homeland. And then behind the scenes he was crafting something totally different and unexpected.

I remember when WIWC came out he said something about it being 'about rhythm' in a way his records couldn't usually be said to be. Apart from the title track loop and a couple of more obviously rhythmically propulsive songs, I couldn't really see what he was getting at. Seemed that was how he felt about it as the writer, but the album was a set of Costello songs the way his albums all tend to be. Finally he's made a record which is a proper marriage between Costello Songs and The Groove.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

I can hardly wait until here in UK my USA-amazon-ordered super-duper import Deluxe CD arrives ...
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Here's a direct link to my rip of "Cinco Minutos Con Vos", in case anyone's having trouble with the radio feed.
(deleted)
Last edited by the_platypus on Fri Aug 16, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

I love the song. Love it. If I have one piece of criticism, it's the Spanish-language lines by Marisol are a little awkward (the words, not her voice-- she's amazing). The rhymes are a bit off and they stress the wrong syllables to make some of the words fit the meter. A bit of nitpicking on my part, nothing more. The song is lovely.
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

sweetest punch wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:"Wake Me Up" appears 58 minutes in:
http://s2.xrad.io/jfmplayers/ondemand.p ... fm_sne.m4a
This song is using lyrics from Bedlam and The River In Reverse.
The recurring musical theme also echoes a moment from Chewing gum (to my ears, anyway)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wake Me Up hasn't hit me like the other three - I guess because the lyrics are already familiar. But I'm prepared for it to grow on me! And yep, that's definitely the Chewing Gum bass riff in there!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

charliestumpy wrote:I can hardly wait until here in UK my USA-amazon-ordered super-duper import Deluxe CD arrives ...
What are the current duper and super-duper versions of the album?

I've trawled through this thread so I might have missed something but is there one version of Wise Up Ghost with 12 tracks on it or are there any versions with more than 12 tracks? Even the Japanese issues seem to have 12 tracks which is unusual.

Also in what formats is Walk Us Uptown being released in? I've seen reference to downloads but nothing about a CD single (which would probably have non-album tracks).
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
jardine

Post by jardine »

So, what is this called, actually playing riffs from other songs? Quoting instead of "sampling"? An old jazz commonplace, for sure. And I'm old fashioned enough to find it more honorable--and needing more musicianship--than simply splicing in a bit of tape.

p.s. this version of wup has 15 tracks

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Up-Ghost-Del ... ostello%22
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

jardine wrote:So, what is this called, actually playing riffs from other songs? Quoting instead of "sampling"? An old jazz commonplace, for sure. And I'm old fashioned enough to find it more honorable--and needing more musicianship--than simply splicing in a bit of tape.

p.s. this version of wup has 15 tracks

With you entirely on this one, Jardine. "Quoting" is a grand old tradition in jazz that pays a healthy respect to the 'roots' of the music. Any fool can splice tape. Real musicanship is involved in weaving the past into the present as a piece is played. It is a sign of respect and honor to one's peers and predecesors. All good jazz musicians do it, regularly.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
VoiceInTheDark

Post by VoiceInTheDark »

I edited and uploaded MP3s of Viceroy's Row and Wake Me Up here. I ripped Cinco Minutos Con Vos last night too but it looks like the_platypus beat me to it :wink:
verbal gymnastics

jardine wrote:p.s. this version of wup has 15 tracks

Thank you very much. I couldn't find this version when I looked but that's probably due to my competency on the webbernet.

Now, who can answer me about Walk Us Uptown...
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Verbalicious, Wise Up Ghost Deluxe version with 15 tracks is now also on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D2I8E46

Alas, I can't answer you about a CD single for Walk Us Uptown - but I seriously doubt there'll be one! Does anyone release CD singles any more?
A rope leash

Post by A rope leash »

I am really enjoying the tracks released so far.

I have no criticisms.

I hope the full recording breaks into something a little more upbeat now and then. I tend to get sleepy.

...couldn't call it unexpected, or rock and roll.
verbal gymnastics

Neil. wrote:Verbalicious, Wise Up Ghost Deluxe version with 15 tracks is now also on Amazon.co.uk:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00D2I8E46

Alas, I can't answer you about a CD single for Walk Us Uptown - but I seriously doubt there'll be one! Does anyone release CD singles any more?
Thanks dear boy! :wink: The deluxe version isn't on any of my usual other sources. I'll wait to see if there's a deluxe Japanese version in case there's another track.

I want a CD single with more unreleased tracks.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

VoiceInTheDark wrote:I edited and uploaded MP3s of Viceroy's Row and Wake Me Up here. I ripped Cinco Minutos Con Vos last night too but it looks like the_platypus beat me to it :wink:
Please be carefull with distributing copyrighted material. Think about EC's lawyers!
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
VoiceInTheDark

Post by VoiceInTheDark »

Please be carefull with distributing copyrighted material. Think about EC's lawyers!
Sorry, I didn't think it would be a problem given that they're not commercially available yet (hence why I didn't include Walk Us Uptown which is available on itunes). I can take them down if it's against the forum rules.
Last edited by VoiceInTheDark on Thu Aug 15, 2013 1:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

One of the attractions of the disc I've been listening to is the fact that it has only 12 tracks and the way they are sequenced,particularly the final track. It's just perfect. That's probably an affect that Elvis 'n co have gone for and feel serves it best. I look forward to hearing the extra tracks but right now it would be something akin to - if I may quote a particularly pompous but true description who's origin I can't remember - putting a mustache on the Mona Lisa
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Although I am very pleased that people are extracting pleasure from this collaboration, so far:

1) amazon USA are the only one that lists the tracks properly/has the extra (non-Japanese etc etc so far...) tracks.

2) My copy is still on order here in UK from USA, for less than the poor-details UK amazon (with whom I spend many hundreds of pounds annually).

3) Ideally, all would be available everywhere nicely on analogue vinyl, but 3rd-best CD after analogue tape (rather than mankey low bit-rate d'load-only) is sonically superior to most non-BD digital alternatives.

4) ENJOY in the meantime all of your proper EC analogue vinyl ...

ROOTS MON ...

I DO want to go to Chelsea/frequently go ...
'Sometimes via the senses, mostly in the mind (or pocket)'.
cwr

Post by cwr »

WUG is coming out on DECCA records in the UK, is that right?
jardine

Post by jardine »

Decca in the UK is what was said on two of the three recently posted radio broadcasts in this thread...
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

People from the EC/Roots camp have expressed that they don't want these recordings available, so I took down the "Cinco Minutos Con Vos" BBC rip mp3. I encourage you guys to do the same with the others.
Last edited by the_platypus on Fri Aug 16, 2013 8:05 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jardine

Post by jardine »

i do remember, back in (gulp) 1964/5, hearing a song and then having to wait to hear it again. reminds me of what it used to be like to have to wait for strawberry season to eat strawberries. not altogether a bad thing...glad you took down the song...hopefully the boys want to have control over how we will be teased over the next weeks of waiting...
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Yeah. There's also the fact that putting out these files-- even if the message board does feel insular and self-contained-- we may be ruining the surprise for other folks.

Anyway, I know I personally won't be clicking on any more of these links. The album comes out in a few weeks. I think I can exercise some constraint. :-)
VoiceInTheDark

Post by VoiceInTheDark »

I deleted my files too.
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

It'd be a shame if these files were available before 95% of people just streamed these tracks off Spotify for fractions of pennies. :mrgreen: