New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
sweetest punch

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by sweetest punch »

martinfoyle wrote:Gave the album the cranking-it-out-of-the-shitty-boombox-at-work test this evening and it passed with flying colours. Great piece of work, holds up all the way through. Think only hardcore fans will really notice the references to past works, which are obvious, -lovely bit of Satellite-, they're really just part of the wonderful sound picture. I'll leave it at that for now, but, rest assured, you're all in for a treat.
Thanks, Martin, that's all I want to hear.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

martinfoyle wrote:Gave the album the cranking-it-out-of-the-shitty-boombox-at-work test this evening and it passed with flying colours. Great piece of work, holds up all the way through. Think only hardcore fans will really notice the references to past works, which are obvious, -lovely bit of Satellite-, they're really just part of the wonderful sound picture. I'll leave it at that for now, but, rest assured, you're all in for a treat.
Yep, thanks for putting my mind at rest - though surely it can't live up to my hopes?! John, Martin, any more detail about particular tracks? E.g. is there a classic ballad among the new slew of songs?
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

has anyone else noticed that the release date of the vinyl edition was pushed to sept. 24th on amazon here in the us?
Ulster Boy

Post by Ulster Boy »

Ymaginatif wrote:'National Ransom' is a musical self-reference - also known as rehashing or, at the worst, plagiarism.

'Glass Onion' is a textual self-reference, which if you get it raises a smile. But it's carried by a killer song (check out those bass and drums + some excellent singing).

Very different kettles of very different fishes. :lol:
Glass Onion references (amongst other songs) I am the walrus... which itself referenced Lucy in the sky
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Wise Up Ghost seems to be doing okay in preorders in the UK - it's hit the Amazon.co.uk Top 100 (Aug 10th 2013):
elvis-ghost.jpg
elvis-ghost.jpg (31.02 KiB) Viewed 20635 times
jardine

Post by jardine »

au Canada (get it?)

Amazon Bestsellers Rank: #73 in Music (See Top 100 in Music)

#49 in Music > Rock
#58 in Music > Pop
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm more intrigued with how John got the album than the album itself. Is it an official disc with cover, inner etc or is it a plain cd? Does it have a lyric booklet?

I like the idea of some of the lyrics making reference to previous work though.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Hey John - Any chance you can write a review here? I don't want to put any pressure on you, but come on! We are left with one track to enjoy and you have the whole piece of work. Also, maybe you can post medley of tracks, too. Thanks!
John

Post by John »

CINCO Minutos Con Vos played 59 minutes into this:-

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b0383p1v
jardine

Post by jardine »

!!!!!!!! THAT
IS
FABULOUS!!!

--this is a new locale for EC, great vocal, great trade off of vocals, great tune, tough tale being told, great lyrics. WOW!
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Two already out of the park at the start. He can break out that falsetto anytime as far as I am concerned and then double track it as done here. Marisol, again, threatens to blow him off the mike. That disoriented feel coming from the strings is effective.
Last edited by Jack of All Parades on Mon Aug 12, 2013 4:45 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
cwr

Post by cwr »

THIS IS GREAT.
John

Post by John »

Nemone also played the song on Saturday morning. 1:33.55 into this

http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b037sxc5

Well done her!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Just played this twice and loved it. There's a string cascade repeated from 'Impatience' late on in the song!

I do find that Elvis's more effortful voice is shown up by Marisol's effortless (stunning!) work - but perhaps the contrast is a good thing! He's such a superb rock singer and great, 'out', ballad singer, that a more restrained vocal like this is hard for him to get across. But I still love it - great sound by the Roots!
cwr

Post by cwr »

Do I detect a little bit of the same riff from the arrangement of "High Fidelity" that EC played with The Roots on Fallon?

https://vimeo.com/58062946

And maybe a sample of the strings from "Impatience"?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Very cool! And definitely riffing on the 1979 arrangement of High Fidelity!!!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

"Viceroy's Row" can be heard 42 minutes into this podcast:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/the-hurst-se ... st-2013-2/
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

I'm really diggin' what I've heard of this album, thus far. 9/17 can't get here too soon!!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://mmusicmag.com/m/2013/08/elvis-co ... the-roots/

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE ROOTS
Wise Up Ghost
[Blue Note]
If he weren’t such a great and versatile singer—irritable punk one album, tender balladeer the next, something entirely different the one after that—Elvis Costello might have made a fantastic rapper. Thankfully, he doesn’t prove it on this surprise collaboration with eclectic Philly hip-hop collective the Roots, but he does rely more on words (always his best friends) and grooves than he does on melodies and song structures. There’s plenty of soulful singing—on “Tripwire,” he’s practically whispering in your ear—but the best cuts (“Refuse to Be Saved,” “Wake Me Up,” “Viceroy’s Row”) find Elvis spitting vitriolic wit over spare and menacing funk backings. The album is a surprise only in the sense that it wasn’t announced until nearly completed. Costello met the Roots when he appeared in 2009 on Late Night With Jimmy Fallon, where they serve as house band, and it’s no wonder they became fast friends. The Roots’ TV gig means nightly team-ups with everyone from Carly Rae Jepsen to Bruce Springsteen, and Costello has spent his career working with seemingly anyone who will say yes. Wise Up Ghost is a coming-together of chameleons—a chance for Costello to jam out with fellow music geeks and, in some truly inspired moments, sling acidic rhymes like a freestyling MC. Originally, the plan was to rerecord a bunch of Costello’s early classics, and while they wisely scrapped that idea, “Stick Out Your Tongue” updates “Pills and Soap,” a rap-inspired gem Elvis cut back in ’83. It’s historical justification for a project that, in theory and practice, already makes perfect sense. –Kenneth Partridge
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Viceroy's Row" can be heard 42 minutes into this podcast:
http://www.soulandjazz.com/the-hurst-se ... st-2013-2/
The Roots contribution on this one is too repetitious for my ears[as is most hip/hop when I try to listen] but again the gorgeous falsetto. Have a feeling the lyric on this one will require more attention and I do like the parts toward the middle and the end when the female singer[s] come in and the bass line goes funky and drifts into a jazzier groove like something off of a Herbert Law's record. Mostly another winner for me- three out of three[I am liking the batting average so far.] I could easily hear this one getting airplay on WBGO.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I like Viceroy's Row too! Similar bass thump to 'Stations of the Cross'. Very catchy refrain - looking forward to the album!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Like what I have heard so far, My only complaint would be that it sounds to me a very 'summery sounding record'. Maybe not lyrically. But it could be being released just a little late in the year especially as it has been ready for sometime.

I could just imagine sitting in the sun listening to this very loud. Lets hope we have an Indian Summer
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

I haven't been as into any of the subsequent 3 tracks as I am Walk Me Uptown, and that's more of a reflection on the other 3 tracks than the leadoff single. All sounds good and all but nothing that feels like much more than semi-filler tracks we won't really speak of much an album or two down the road. I'm hoping everything grows on me more when I get to hear it in context.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

And No Coffee Table wrote:"Wake Me Up" appears 58 minutes in:
http://s2.xrad.io/jfmplayers/ondemand.p ... fm_sne.m4a
This song is using lyrics from Bedlam and The River In Reverse.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.