Re: another Norway gig in Elverum added on Aug 4th

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone etc?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I see that the Brodsky Quartet are also appearing at the Elverum festival

http://www.brodskyquartet.co.uk/concert ... certs.html

What chance they might turn up at Elvis's show, or vice versa?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Man out of Time wrote:I see that the Brodsky Quartet are also appearing at the Elverum festival

What chance they might turn up at Elvis's show, or vice versa?
It seems they did:

http://instagram.com/p/cms1c0KFP9/

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i can't view it...does one need to be a "member" now at instagram??? i should sign up but, what, is it only photos from cell phones???
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

bronxapostle wrote:i can't view it...does one need to be a "member" now at instagram??? i should sign up but, what, is it only photos from cell phones???
Man out of Time

Azmuda beat me to it.

MOOT
Last edited by Man out of Time on Sun Aug 04, 2013 5:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

https://twitter.com/tobaek/status/36412 ... 72/photo/1

http://instagram.com/p/cms1c0KFP9/#

Though this reviewer doesn't seem to have noticed-

http://www.h-a.no/Kultur/Kultur/tabid/3 ... f7YkG14lHA

Suveren: Med låter som «Down In A Blue Chair», «Accidents Will Happen» og «She» gjorde Elvis Costello og The Imposters en herlig jobb i et vanskelig rocke- lokale. Foto: Kristian Einang

Google translation-

Elvis Costello denied him with a wonderful show in the Cube Arena. Unfortunately it was just too few people who got it with them.
Kristian Einang

Elverum

Dice Arena was decorated for the festival of music, then himself Elvis Costello was ready to play their first concert in the hinterland. Together with his band The Imposters, he delivered one of the year's big musical experiences, but also a little disappointed the audience by their absence. It is a pity that Elvis Costello was not greeted by a packed hall, for he did at least its job and delivered a spectacular rock show. It was in fact very many who missed a wonderful concert in memory for a long time, one could estimate that about a quarter of the seats in the hall was empty.

Soaring pace

He opened with the song "I Hope You're Happy Now", and it quickly gained a good indication of how good the concert was going to be. The level was extremely high as expected, and together with the three musicians in the Imposters Elvis Costello delivered the most likely to stand again as this year's rock concert in Hedmark. They continued in a soaring pace with "Blue Chair", "High Fidelity" and "Radio Radio" and the audience never got to let a song sink in before he was started on the next. Audience was the fun from the start, and patted disciplined beyond the nearly two-hour concert.

Lot fingers talk

Costello was not talkative corner and he played many songs before at all answered and said how glad he was to be in Elverum. It was actually okay, because it is with fingers he is very best to communicate musician, singer, songwriter and record producer born in London but is of Irish origin.

The sound in the hall was not top notch, and if you want to take anything negative from this concert so there must be something hazy sound. It was a lovely touch in the hall when Elvis and the gang went on with the volume, but one is left with a feeling that the dice Arena does not fit like a glove to a rock concert.
A little before 23.00 had a half-full arena still got value for admission, and I doubt we'll see such a good concert in Hedmark for a long time.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Very cool to see the strings there! When did they last play together?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thank you azmuda, MOOT and kingfoyle for helping me to SEE what we missed. doc, the last time i saw him with Brodsky was 2004 at the Beacon + Steve as they played much of NORTH, lots of oddball songs and only ONE from JULIET LETTERS! but, i had seen that show completely in 1993 at Town Hall as well as WELCOME TO THE VOICE there also which featured Brodsky in 2000. i think there was another European appearance or two since '04 however. ANCT???

Concert 2004-02-26 New York
 Thursday, February 26, 2004
<< Prev  •  2004  •  Next >>

Venue

New York, NY, Beacon Theatre -
Musicians

Elvis Costello
Steve Nieve
The Brodsky Quartet
Andrew Haveron - violin
Ian Belton - violin
Paul Cassidy - viola
Jacqueline Thomas - violoncello
Setlist

01. 45
02. Green Shirt
03. Home Truth
04. No Wonder
05. The Long Honeymoon
06. This House Is Empty Now
07. Pills And Soap - with Brodsky Quartet
08. You Left Me In The Dark - with Brodsky Quartet
09. Someone Took The Words Away
10. Rocking Horse Road - with Brodsky Quartet
11. Real Emotional Girl - with Brodsky Quartet
12. You Turned To Me - with Brodsky Quartet
13. Fallen - with Brodsky Quartet
14. God's Comic
15. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?
16. Sleep Of The Just
17. Man Out Of Time
18. Either Side Of The Same Town
19. When It Sings
20. God Give Me Strength
Encore 1
21. When Green Eyes Turn Blue - with Brodsky Quartet
22. Still - with Brodsky Quartet
23. Can You Be True? - with Brodsky Quartet
24. My Mood Swings - with Brodsky Quartet
25. The Birds Will Still Be Singing - with Brodsky Quartet
26. Almost Blue - with Brodsky Quartet, EC on piano at end SN melodica
27. I'm In The Mood Again - EC solo on piano
28. The Scarlet Tide - EC solo on ukelele
29. You'll Never Walk Alone - with Brodsky Quartet
Encore 2
30. Pump It Up
31. The Dark End Of The Street
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Well, I know they did a UK tour together in early 2009. Anything since?

Dave
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.ostlendingen.no/nyheter/elve ... -1.8003537

Helaften med Elvis

Han er mer presis enn NSB, danser bedre enn Bob Dylan, plystrer renere enn Thore Skogmann, tygger tyggegummi penere enn sir Alex Ferguson, har i følge seg selv et ansikt som bare en mor kan like, er karismatisk når han vil, en musikalsk kameleon som skifter ham og stemme nesten kjappere enn publikum henger med, og så tar han lengre sjarmturer ut blant publikum enn Bruce Springsteen.

I Terningen Arena søndag kveld nesten til aller øverste rad i amfi, og dit er det både langt opp og veldig bratt.

Legg til at snart 59 år gamle Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus, bedre kjent som Elvis Costello, klarte å løfte en konsert som etter den første halvtimen bare mer eller mindre kunne få godkjent + av hardcorefansen, men som etter i overkant av 30 låter i løpet av nær to og en halv time skaffet seg mange nye venner.

Costello ville i motsetning til sin amerikanske navnebror nærmest ikke forlate bygningen, det ene ekstranummeret avløste det andre, og etter det mange oppfattet som konsertens avslutning – en overraskende avdeling med Brodskykvartetten og en åndeløs revival med utgangspunkt i «The Juliet Letters», øspøste han og The Imposters videre utover i midnattstimen.

Elvis Costello gjør det ikke alltid like lett for seg – og for tilhørerne.

Den første halvtimen framsto han som ganske innesluttet og innelukket.

Og selv om mange av søylene i katalogen ble eksemplarisk framført i et nærmest frenetisk tempo, var det vel først ved den vakre balladen «A Good Year for The Roses» at applausen steg hakket over det høflige.

Den kom for øvrig etter en duvende og hoftesvingende versjon av Johnny Cash gamle «Cry, Cry, Cry» – et eksempel på taktskiftene som Costello behersker bedre enn de aller fleste.

Også «Almost Blue» gikk rett hjem, og da han først framførte mektige «She» på en runde blant publikum nede på parketten, og så la ut på topptur til de aller bakerste seteradene – og det med en sterk oppfordring til publikum om å bli med ned og samle seg foran scenen, da var kontakten etablert, også med dem som kanskje hadde tatt et litt nølende skritt inn i Terningen Arena ved denne konserten.

Et publikum som var overraskende lite homogent, med både yngre og eldre, fikk oppleve rytmiske og hardtslående Elvis Costello på det beste, samtidig som det var øyeblikk med åndeløs stillhet i salen – som da han framførte deler av vakre «Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?» aldeles ensom i lydbildet, langt fra mikrofonen og bare med sin egen stemmes kraft i salens mørke.

Høydepunktet for meg, og kanskje også for andre.
------------------------------
Google translation:

Late Night with Elvis

He is more precise than NSB, dances better than Bob Dylan, whistles cleaner than Thorskogs Male, chewing gum prettier than Sir Alex Ferguson, has accompanied herself a face that only a mother could equal, charismatic when he wants a musical chameleon that changes him and vote almost faster than the audience hanging with, and then he walks out longer charm the audience than Bruce Springsteen.

In Cube Arena Sunday night almost to the very top row of the amphitheater, and there are both high up and very steep.

Add to that soon 59 years old Declan Patrick Aloysius MacManus, known as Elvis Costello, managed to lift a concert for the first half hour just more or less able to get approved + by hardcore fans, but after more than 30 songs over close to two and a half hours gained many new friends.

Costello would unlike its American namesake almost not leave the building, one encore replaced the others, and by many regarded as the concert's end - a surprising department Brodskykvartetten and breathless revival based on "The Juliet Letters" øspøste he The Imposters further beyond the midnight hour.

Elvis Costello does not always easy for them - and for the audience.

The first half hour he emerged as quite contained and enclosed.

And although many of the columns in the catalog was exemplary performed in an almost frantic pace, was it first at the beautiful ballad "A Good Year for the Roses" that applause rose notch above the polite.

It came to rest after a hip swaying and swinging version of the old Johnny Cash "Cry, Cry, Cry" - an example of time signature changes that Costello mastered better than most.

Also "Almost Blue" went straight home, and when he first performed mighty "She" on a round the audience down on the parquet, and then set out on a hike to the very rearmost rows of seats - and with a strong call to the public to be with down and gather in front of the stage, when the contact was established, also with those who might have taken a bit hesitant steps into the cube Arena at this concert.

The audience was surprisingly little homogenous, with both younger and older, experienced rhythmic and hard hitting Elvis Costello at the top, while there were moments of breathless silence in the audience - that when he performed the parts of the beautiful "Brother, Can You Spare A Dime? "perfectly lonely sound, far from the microphone and only with their voting power in the hall's darkness.

The highlight for me, and perhaps for others.

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.