Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I don't think he finished entering the setlist. On Twitter there are mentions of several of the usual suspects ("She," "Shipbuilding," "Pump It Up," "Tramp The Dirt Down") not listed above.
sounds sensible ANCT! i should have known you were NOT sleeping on the job as i grabbed this from the wiki. i know you would have had it here if it was up there at this time of day on the West Coast. best, ba
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

And No Coffee Table wrote:I don't think he finished entering the setlist. On Twitter there are mentions of several of the usual suspects ("She," "Shipbuilding," "Pump It Up," "Tramp The Dirt Down") not listed above.
ANCT is right. I only got as far as the first encore before crashing. I blame the hour long cycle ride home from the City, in the early hours of Thursday morning following the train ride back from the Southend show. Here is the full list, snippets and all...

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Uncomplicated including Shotgun
Happy Jackpot - spin 1
04. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
05. High Fidelity
06. Temptation
07. Secondary Modern
08. Watch Your Step
09. Possession
10. King Horse
11. Beyond Belief - spin 2
12. Clubland
Roses Jackpot - spin 3
13. Good Year For The Roses
14. Still Too Soon To Know
15. Indoor Fireworks
Joker Jackpot - spin 4
16. Oliver's Army - the choice of a "nearly eight" year old girl
17. Less Than Zero
The Hammer Of Songs
18. Alison - swinger's choice including Somewhere, Over The Rainbow,
Dancing Queen - instrumental awaiting spinners
19. Bedlam - spin 5
20. Drum & Bone
21. Country Darkness
22. It Tears Me Up
23. I Want You- including I Say A Little Prayer
Encore 1
24. She with SN, sung from the auditorium
25. Talking In The Dark with SN, sung from the auditorium
26. I Still Have That Other Girl with SN, sung from the auditorium
27. Shipbuilding
28. A Slow Drag With Josephine
29. Walkin' My Baby Back Home - EC Solo
30. Jimmie Standing In The Rain - including Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
31. Tramp The Dirt Down
Encore 2
32. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
33. Pump It Up
34. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding?

The "treats" included an extended "Happy" jackpot, a "Joanna" section, without the spin and "Walkin' My Baby Back Home" dedicated to EC's brother Liam, the last of the Macmanus clan to be wed (that day). "Tramp The Dirt Down" was preceded by the Grantham station story (see post on Southend show), which I am sure will feature again this summer at UK dates. Finally good to see so many forum members at the Anvil, particularly So Lacklustre, Boy With A Problem and Little Triggers. Thanks to VG for sorting a very good ticket. On to Brighton for more rock.

MOOT
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://instagram.com/p/a0Dy6KQG2U/#
Gold chain podium dancers, song wheel spun by audience members and then Elvis Costello stood about a metre away from us whilst singing.
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

Hope you can see this photo:

It's the view from my seat in Row C. Someone directly behind me in Row D was noting down the set list during the show - was that any of you lot?

One of the spinners was a French lady "from Paris" - I saw her afterwards going backstage with a person who I think was Muriel, Steve's wife. It's rigged I tell you!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

For posterity's sake, here's the official site's version of the setlist.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Basingstoke, England
June 20th, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Uncomplicated

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 1

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Temptation
Secondary Modern
Watch Your Step
Possession
King Horse

Beyond Belief - Spin 2

Clubland - IMPROMPTU

Good Year For The Roses - Spin 3

Still Too Soon To Know/Crawling Back - IMPROMPTU

Indoor Fireworks - IMPROMPTU

"Joker" - Spin 4

Oliver's Army

Less Than Zero - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Alison

Bedlam - Spin 5

Drum & Bone - IMPROMPTU

Country Darkness - IMPROMPTU

It Tears Me Up - IMPROMPTU

I Want You - IMPROMPTU

"Joanna" Interlude

She
Talking In the Dark
I Still Have That Other Girl

Interlude

Shipbuilding
A Slow Drag With Josephine

Walking My Baby Back Home - For Liam & Arlene

Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Tramp The Dirt Down

Finale

Chelsea
Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

MatthewBest wrote:Someone directly behind me in Row D was noting down the set list during the show - was that any of you lot?
That was MOOT.
MatthewBest wrote:One of the spinners was a French lady "from Paris" - I saw her afterwards going backstage with a person who I think was Muriel, Steve's wife. It's rigged I tell you!
Very true. She was sat with Muriel. Funnily enough I was going to look for the stage door after the show (and gave up because it was a bit Spinal Tap) I bumped into Steve who was loading his car up and the 2 others Muriel was sat with (one of whom was the spinner) all got into the car. I did say to Steve how fabulous the Elvis and Steve segment was and he thanked me.

There have been a few rigged spinners on the tour. Geraldine from Basingstoke, Charlie (Davey's son) at Southend (who danced onstage with Josephine at the end - a new part of the show I think) and Barbie at the Royal Albert Hall who is Dixie's friend and had flown in from America and was there on Dixie's birthday.

A few points about last night. I had a fantastic seat. The first 4 rows are level and the 5th row is the first raised level. I was dead centre with Elvis. They played around 2hrs 45mins.

I have 2 more MOOT points...

I don't recall him singing the "I say a little prayer" in I want you (but that's not to say I'm right). Also he sang a verse of a song that had the wording of "I'm crawling back" at the end of Still too soon to know" which is on the website version. However the website doesn't list Shotgun (which he definitely sang!).

The first spinners were two ladies one of who, Rebecca was, to be kind, mildly irritating. She put Elvis's hat on, she spoke in Elvis's stage microphone and I thought this is a great start :roll: . The one positive thing about her was that she spun Happy and we got a blistering set of Get Happy songs plus Watch Your Step. When he got going I thought we were going to get the whole album. It was superb and there were 5 songs which I hadn't seen all tour out of the first 10.

The nearly 8 year old girl, Hannah, was with her dad, Chris and Elvis was very good with her. The wheel landed on the Joker and her dad whispered, presumably, Oliver's Army which they played. Her dad asked her at least 5 times to go in the cage and the poor girl was firmly saying no every time and was certainly letting her dad know about it :lol: However Chris went in.

There were some good song choices by the band. Brutal Youth is definitely having a good run on this tour so All the Rage could still happen...

The Elvis and Steve section was great. Elvis had a good walkabout and was standing almost next to SoLack and family and BWAP. I thought Miss SoLack might be picked but unfortunately not.

There was a fine turn out of board members. Sorry to BWAP, SoLack, Little Triggers, John and MOOT for leaving pre show but my guest and I needed to take our seats as we had seats 3 seats apart and wanted to change them. As it turned out I recognised the two people from Southend the night before and we ended up having a great time.

I think having gone to so many shows can make you a bit blase. My friend hadn't seen the show before (and hadn't seen Elvis live for many many years) so for her the show was fresh, the jokes and stories were new etc and she had a fabulous time. She said she could see why his shows were so addictive.

Great venue and show. Where else could you see so many different songs 2 nights running?

By the way, great pic MatthewBest.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Azmuda wrote:Still Too Soon To Know/Crawling Back - IMPROMPTU
verbal gymnastics wrote:Also he sang a verse of a song that had the wording of "I'm crawling back" at the end of Still too soon to know" which is on the website version.
Was this the Roy Orbison song or something else?

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

There does seem to be a passing resemblance between “Crawling Back” and "Still Too Soon To Know."

EC wrote about about Roy Orbison's "Crawling Back” in 2010 in "SPECTACLE REPORT: Bruce Springsteen on his favorite artists".

Extract:
Roy Orbison: “Crawling Back” – from The Essential Roy Orbison (2006)

Despite his obvious love and debt to the balladeer, when Bruce name-checked Roy Orbison in “Thunder Road,” he was speaking of an artist who, at that time, wasn’t in clear view to much of his audience.

By 1987, when we both appeared as part of the all-star band assembled by T Bone Burnett for the Black and White Night television special, this strange and unacceptable state of affairs was at an end.

Roy’s incredible songs were given faithful and beautifully sung renditions during that long night at the Coconut Grove, and a catalogue that was once buried in lost vinyl racks is now much more readily available.

This song may have escaped your notice. It is one of Roy’s most beautiful. Building from a confidential opening, it eventually reaches a typically dramatic climax – but then that was Roy’s style of “singing for the lonely.”

I was sitting in a classical vocal recital in London one night when I realized that the second section of Roy’s melody recalls Robert Schumann, although I’m not sure how big he ever was on the radio in Wink, Texas.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

MatthewBest wrote: Someone directly behind me in Row D was noting down the set list during the show - was that any of you lot?
Guilty as charged. And VG was sitting behind me in Row E. As at the Royal Albert Hall, we might as well just arrange to meet up in the auditorium.

MOOT
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

What a fantastic show this was! Great venue, great view and unlike the RAH, no problems with the accoutics. :D

We enjoyed this concert much better than the one at RAH and couldn't fault EC's performance - the man is just amazing! :)

(By the way, thanks to advice posted previously we parked in Festival Place so managed to avoid the roadworks nearby.)

Highlights for me were watching EC taking a leisurely stroll around the auditorium, singing "She" and other songs, while many people happily took their chance to snap a close up picture of EC, or to gently pat him on the arm or shoulder, by way of appreciation. One or two fully grown men looked so emotional as he passed by them they seemed close to tears, overcome at being so close to the great man! I love it that EC made such an effort to get up close and personal with as many people as he could.

VG was right about that woman being "mildly irritating", except that's putting it rather kindly! She was extremely annoying and I was puzzled as to why they let her and her friend stay up on stage for so many songs (about 5, I think). Ah well.

We waited at the stage door afterwards and were rewarded when EC came out, signed our tickets and posed for photos with us - what a nice guy he is! He has such a gentle manner and a lovely smile, which I captured on camera. :D So, at last my friend got her moment with EC, though it was over all too quickly and left us wanting more. We had wanted to say so much to him but when the moment came it flew by and before we knew it he was moving on down the queue (of about 20 people) then quickly disappeared. :)

I was left feeling a little sad afterwards that I'd barely had time to speak to him, let alone thank him properly or ask him the questions I had in my mind. I guess it's always that way in these situations - many fans would love a proper chat with EC but even with only 20 people, giving us just 5 mins each would add up to nearly 2 hours, so it just can't happen. I was left wondering if there is any way of contacting EC in writing, maybe via a special thread on this forum? Does anybody know if he reads any of the stuff on here?

Anyway, in case EC does read this thread - thanks Elvis for a great night and also for being so kind with us after the show. My friend, who has all your old records on vinyl and has loved your music for years, was absolutely made up with meeting you at last. You're a legend and long may you continue to entertain us with your amazing songs and gorgeous voice. :)
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Glad your evening went well Wolfie, we too had the most marvellous time and also managed to get a signature and a photo at the end.
It looked as though some of the people coming out of the stage door must have had a VIP package, (maybe one of the Golden Tickets from the cancelled gig), so perhaps that's the way of being able to grab more than just a fleeting moment.
We were in the second row just in front of 'irritating' women, yes it was cringe worthy but at least she took her chance. There seemed to be less emphasis on wheel spinning and I think that made for a better show.
Hoping for more tours soon but I get the feeling that he will be taking time out to concentrate on his family.
verbal gymnastics

No doubt there will be important family time but I wonder if there'll be promotion of the album with The Roots. I suspect a few New York shows. It might evolve like it did with Allen Toussaint with a more extensive US tour to fund a European tour.

I'm not holding out for Roots shows in the UK in the short term ie 2013.
migdd

Post by migdd »

He's touring Europe (mainly festivals) with the Imposters through the beginning of August. After that, there are rumblings of an American Wheel tour. A September date at Durham PAC is already listed by ticket brokers. He's continuing to stay busy.

http://www.elviscostello.com/#/dance-card
Happiness_Stan1968

Post by Happiness_Stan1968 »

I think I was stood at the Stage door with Wolferinefan, (was it you who kindly took a picture of me with EC?) and I second all of that. Such a fantastic evening, worth waiting a year for. I Enjoyed Bournemouth last year but this was better. Highlights for me were: I Want You, the walkabout, including She and Talking in the dark! Is my memory muddled or did he start Shipbuilding whilst in the stalls? A Slow Drag With Josephine and Jimmie Standing in the Rain with a bit of Brother Can You spare a Dime were very effective with additional and understated accompaniment from the Impostors. Walking my baby back home was perfection and loved the two whistling solos! Alas my only EC gig this year but one to remember. By the way chatted to Steve and Muriel before the show and Steve signed his latest CD which is called Lazy Point. If you see it around buy it because it's a terrific showcase of his piano playing and includes amongst Steve's own compositions, piano versions of Alison and Shipbuilding.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Funkygibbon has uploaded this show on Dime! http://www.dimeadozen.org/torrents-deta ... ?id=454929
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Yes, he did start Shipbuilding from the stalls which led to quite an amusing incident. After he'd finished She it was obvious that he had originally decided that was the last song of his 'walkabout' but decided to launch into Shipbuilding. He tried to get Steve's attention to indicate this and then started to make 'charades' type gestures with his arms. He moved his arm to suggest a wave motion like the sea and from this Steve seemed to know to start the song. :D
verbal gymnastics

Ah, the tricks of the trade...
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Little Fool wrote:He tried to get Steve's attention to indicate this and then started to make 'charades' type gestures with his arms. He moved his arm to suggest a wave motion like the sea and from this Steve seemed to know to start the song. :D
Haha that's great. Perhaps next time Elvis can send signals to Steve using semaphore (Pidgin English anyone?):

verbal gymnastics

Is it worth it...? :lol:
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

VG: "I was going to look for the stage door after the show (and gave up because it was a bit Spinal Tap)"... err, not quite sure I understand what you mean?
Happiness_Stan1968 wrote:I think I was stood at the Stage door with Wolferinefan, (was it you who kindly took a picture of me with EC?)
Yes, if you were the guy with the glasses, stood at the front of the queue, I do indeed have a nice picture of you. I will upload my photos to the computer at work when I can, because at the moment I only have a silly ipad at home, which can't cope with such things. I will e-mail it to you when I have chance.

Little Fool: Yes, I noticed that sign language stuff as well, but thought it was probably just their normal way of communicating from a distance! Didn't realise EC was changing his setlist without warning. It was pretty funny. :lol: Semaphore - that would be even funnier!

It was a great night, and the more I think about EC mingling with the audience while singing, the more I admire him for going the extra mile for his fans. What a nice guy he is. :)