Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
so lacklustre

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Post by so lacklustre »

If you had tickets for the postponed show - and just in case you haven't received the letter...

You need to contact the Anvil before 31 July 2012 to confirm you wish to retain your seats or get a refund - after that your seats cd get reallocated.

Box Office
01256 844244
box.office@anvilarts.org.uk
signed with love and vicious kisses
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I managed to get some decent tickets so next June can't come soon enough for me. Seeing Elvis play this year was really special for me. The rest of my year wasn't great, due to various family problems, so EC provided some welcome relief from all the stress. I wish I could fast forward the clock and get past the horrid winter to June, to enjoy balmy weather and the EC concerts. :)
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The Anvil show is now sold out.
Tour poster
Tour poster
elviscostello sold out.jpg (24.76 KiB) Viewed 34901 times
http://www.anvilarts.org.uk/whats-on/13 ... -imposters

Let's hope it actually happens this year.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

It sold out quite a while ago. I know because I tried to get a ticket in January for somebody.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Not long now... who's going? :)
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Me!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

yep
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I have tickets for front row of the side circle, row DA (left stage). However, after last night's experience of being in a similar position at the RAH, I'm wondering if I'm going to be disappointed again with the sound quality? Is there anyone around here who knows this venue well and can give me some pointers as to whether I should try to swap these for better seats? Is it better to be in the middle of the stalls, but further back, rather than at the front but at the side?
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

The Anvil is acoustically brilliant, I don't think that you will be disappointed with that seating position. The venue is relatively small so the whole feeling is quite intimate and involving. Hope you enjoy it, see you there.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Thanks Little Fool. I've been reading reviews about this venue and they all seem to concur with what you're saying, so I'm feeling hopeful that this will be a great night.

Will you and your wife manage to get on stage again, I wonder? :D From side circle my friend and I have no chance, but I doubt either of us would be brave enough to go up there anyway. Scary stuff but I remember that you took it all in your stride. :)
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Wolverinefan, the obstacle blocking your view that you refer to in your RAH post is, (rather bizarrely) disguising a monitor that displays the words to the song he is singing. I doubt there will be a chance of me and Mrs. LF making a third appearance at wheel spinning, to have achieved this twice seems more than fortunate for any EC fan, still, you never know.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Ah, mystery solved, thanks LF! I can understand the need for the monitor as back up, because there are so many songs on the wheel, plus people might occasionally request an obscure song that EC hasn't played for a while, but the position was a bit unlucky for us. We will be a little further back this time, sort of overlooking the end of the 10th row, so hopefully the monitor won't be in our line of sight, this time. :)
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I'm going.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I am on a mission to help my friend to meet EC, either before or after this concert. She is a lifelong fan of Elvis and has all his old records on vinyl, so I'm really hoping that I can achieve my goal, because it would mean so much to her. I'm not familiar with this venue, so would really appreciate any pointers as to the best way to go about my mission. :)

(I was incredibly lucky to manage to gain entry to the backstage meet and greet at BIC last year, but that was by sheer dogged determination and the kindness of another fan. No matter how hard I tried I couldn't get my friend backstage that time so I really want to succeed this time.)
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

The stage door at the Anvil is around the back and quite accessable from the street. I waited last time (when he did a solo gig with the Brodskys) but alas no show. I have, however been to quite a number of non Costello gigs at the Anvil where the artist has quite happily mingled in the bar area either before or after the show, it's the kind of venue that easily lends itself to this style of informal meet and greet, so you never know !!!!!!
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

I'll be going!
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

If you are driving be aware that the road from the Victory roundabout to the usual Anvil car park is closed.

The show is advertised as 8 o'clock and they nearly always start on time at this venue.

I will aim to be in the venue bar from 7 if anyone wants to meet
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

so lacklustre wrote:If you are driving be aware that the road from the Victory roundabout to the usual Anvil car park is closed.

The show is advertised as 8 o'clock and they nearly always start on time at this venue.

As I will be on my own and travelling a bit of way I would welcome meeting up
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Solack - what is the best car park / route then?
I'll try to be in the venue bar before gig but depends on work leaving
time, travel etc
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

OKay come find me - I am 50 yr old geezer with stubbled face and glasses and will be with grey haired 'buxom' missus and 15 yr old daughter who wears harry potter style glasses. Will also have Boy With A Problem there who is a grizzled drunken American with a czechered presence :) have sent you my moby via pm
JONPD wrote:
so lacklustre wrote:If you are driving be aware that the road from the Victory roundabout to the usual Anvil car park is closed.

As I will be on my own and travelling a bit of way I would welcome meeting up
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

You can either follow signs for the diversion to get to the Anvil Car Park (see AnvilArts website for details) which is closest or if you are coming from M3 J6 it may be easier to head for town centre and follow signs for Festival Place car park - it is a bit further to walk but more accessible. Hope to see you there.
Fishfinger king wrote:Solack - what is the best car park / route then?
I'll try to be in the venue bar before gig but depends on work leaving
time, travel etc
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Just a quick warning to anyone who (like me), is travelling to Basingstoke from the west. The A303 at Stonehenge will be at virtual standstill for the next 24 hours as it is the Summer Solstice.
Hoping for a good gig tonight, my last of four of the current tour.
Maybe meet up with some forum users if I get there early enough.
MatthewBest

Post by MatthewBest »

I am going having managed to score some excellent seats (middle of Row C) while almost the entire place was sold out - presumably returns from the previous date.

My (admittedly incomplete) records tell me that this is something like the 35th time I've seen Elvis live, but it's the first time since 2005 I think, which is way too long a gap. Really looking forward to it and intrigued to see him at a smaller venue outside London - my other option was tickets at the back of the Royal Albert Hall and I think I have made the right choice (I've never previously been impressed with the sound at the RAH).

Unfortunately there won't be much time to hang around afterwards and hassle the band as I have to get the last train back to London. But if anyone does manage it, give them my regards!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Thursday, June 20, 2013

Basingstoke, England, The Anvil -

Setlist

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Uncomplicated
Happy Jackpot - spin 1
04. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
05. High Fidelity
06. Temptation
07. Secondary Modern
08. Watch Your Step
09. Possession
10. King Horse
11. Beyond Belief - spin 2
12. Clubland
Roses Jackpot - spin 3
13. Good Year For The Roses
14. Still Too Soon To Know
15. Indoor Fireworks
Joker Jackpot - spin 4
16. Oliver's Army
17. Less Than Zero
The Hammer Of Songs
18. Alison
19. Bedlam - spin 5
20. Drum & Bone
21. Country Darkness
22. It Tears Me Up
23. I Want You
Start time: 20:05
End time: 22:45
Submitted: Nick Ratcliffe

WOW!! 7 GET HAPPY!!!! songs in a row...i would have gotten VERY HAPPY!! time out: MY ERROR! WATCH YOUR STEP spoiled the streak, but 6 of 7 smokes.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I don't think he finished entering the setlist. On Twitter there are mentions of several of the usual suspects ("She," "Shipbuilding," "Pump It Up," "Tramp The Dirt Down") not listed above.