Elvis & The Imposters Edinburgh 16/6/2013

Pretty self-explanatory
snapyou

Elvis & The Imposters Edinburgh 16/6/2013

Post by snapyou »

Who's going ?( courtesy of Mr Foyle)
I'm lucky enough to have front row middle stalls tickets :)

IF i take along my SLR with standard lens to take a few pix,what are the chances I can shoot away without being put on the naughty step ?
krm

Re: Elvis & The Imposters Edinburgh 16/6/2013

Post by krm »

i am going.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Damn, I'm not going and I would have loved to meet up with you, KRM. Any chance you might be recording ?
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

I'll be there :D 4th gig of the tour and 4th row (how apt)

If it's anything like the night I had at the Glasgow gig last year, it will be a great night - my friend and I still collapse in laughter whenever we think about it. I would tell you, but it's one of those 'had to be there' nights!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

nicola76 wrote:If it's anything like the night I had at the Glasgow gig last year, it will be a great night - my friend and I still collapse in laughter whenever we think about it. I would tell you, but it's one of those 'had to be there' nights!
" 'Night girls!" :wink: :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Still funny!!! :lol:

I'm glad someone else gets it!
krm

Post by krm »

sulky, there will most likely be more opportunities for meeting! - dont think there will be a krm-recording though.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

snapyou wrote:Who's going ?( courtesy of Mr Foyle)
I'm lucky enough to have front row middle stalls tickets :)

IF i take along my SLR with standard lens to take a few pix,what are the chances I can shoot away without being put on the naughty step ?
I'll be exactly 3 rows behind you! Can't miss me - if 'I Can't Stand up.....' gets played, my friend and I will be recreating the dance from the video. For some reason, we can't dance 'normally' to it :shock:
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

great pic Dixie!!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:
great pic Dixie!!
Nice piano. Has Steve been playing real concert pianos this month? This is the first one I've noticed.
verbal gymnastics

Here's hoping that Nicola76 spins the wheel and it lands on Episode of Blonde.
docinwestchester

Graham Spiers ‏@GrahamSpiers 47m
What a magnificent racket this is from Elvis Costello in Edinburgh...'Man Out Of Time' being but the latest blast. Chaps, this is good.
§©°π ®●9€®$ ‏@spiral_scratch 1h
Lol was just on stage with Elvis Costello dancing to Lipstick Vogue. Mortifying, but lmfao.
Susan Dalgety ‏@SusanDalgety 17m
Wonderful night as always @ElvisCostello. Jimmie standing in the rain and My three sons poignant tribute to love and family
AmeliaC ‏@JacquelineAmeli 30m
Elvis Costello at Festival Theatre - eat your heart out every other musician in the world - what a gig
Mark Fisher ‏@MarkFFisher 21m
Blimey! @ElvisCostello was astonishing tonight - 2hr 40min of Las Vegas wheel-spinning pop genius.
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

verbal gymnastics wrote:Here's hoping that Nicola76 spins the wheel and it lands on Episode of Blonde.
Only getting to spin the wheel could possibly have made this wonderful gig any better! 2 hours and 50 mins worth of sheer entertainment. Sold out venue - sat along from me was Phil Jupitus and also spotted Ewan Bremner in the audience (Spud from Trainspotting!) It was obvious that the band really enjoyed the show, and the spinners really participated well. The first two up were a fairly young couple who looked more embarrassed than anything, but the later groups ('Aunt Annie' and her sister and niece from just outside Glasgow) and then a couple from Glenrothes were fantastic - 'Aunt Annie' getting up led Elvis to recall how he had an Aunt Annie who would also pour carnation milk on his orange segments so that it 'tasted like eating cold sick' :shock: Annie asked for Alison and got it, along with Cry Cry Cry and Flutter and Wow.

The Glenrothes couple spun the Time jackpot so ended up with Strict Time which the chap was singing along to in the cage, as well as Man out of Time and Out of Time. There was a young girl and her pal grabbed by Elvis from the audience, a Canadian couple ('Some of my favourite people come from Canada'), and a woman from Belfast who was treated to Shipbuilding without the need for a spin.

During the show, Elvis also moved the wheel along a segment to 'Just About Glad'. I'd like to think it's because I mentioned on here that it needed to put an appearance in at the Edinburgh show :wink: My mate couldn't believe my reaction to that being spun - I was a bit excited. That level of delirium will now be known as 'Just About Glad Happy' :wink:

Other Highlights - My Three Sons was a lovely addition on Father's Day; Tramp the Dirt Down was as passionate as ever and enthusiastically received; Almost Blue sung from the circle.......

Of the 4 gigs I've been to this tour, this has really topped them and I can't think of many better gigs overall. Would have been nice to have been a few more dancers - indeed during Pump it Up, there were only 4 of us which was fine as it felt like it was only Elvis and us in the room especially 4th row in the stalls, but the usual rousing finish of Peace, Love and Understanding got everyone up, before a band who looked touched by the response left the stage.

Wonderful night. A great way to round off the tour for me - London RAH on the 6th, Gateshead, Blackpool and Edinburgh. York is VERY tempting!!!
docinwestchester

nicola76 wrote:A great way to round off the tour for me - London RAH on the 6th, Gateshead, Blackpool and Edinburgh. York is VERY tempting!!!
WARNING: The Revolver tour is highly addictive!
docinwestchester

Lucky tweeter:

Amy ‏@drawn_that_way 1h
Just had such an amazing night seeing @elviscostello in Edinburgh! Even got to hang out backstage afterwards! pic.twitter.com/tuoLfuLrID

docinwestchester

http://www.scotsman.com/lifestyle/music ... witterfeed

Gig review: Elvis Costello and The Imposters, Edinburgh

By FIONA SHEPHERD
Published on 17/06/2013 00:31

ELVIS Costello’s Revolver tour has come round again, but no two shows are the same, thanks to the Spectacular Spinning Songbook, aka “the showbusiness marvel of the age”, a colourful fairground-style wheel of musical fortune which dictates the set list according to turns and choices made by audience members.

Edinburgh Festival Theatre

It’s an entertaining way to keep things fresh, which is interesting and unpredictable for the musicians as much as the fans.

Costello was a consummate vaudeville MC and his Imposters trio were on invigorating form from the moment they hit the stage, tearing through Radio, Radio at some velocity.

Scott and Kat from Glasgow hit the Lips jackpot and got Lip Service but not lip service.

Auntie Ann got her wish and was personally serenaded with Alison.

Costello himself decided it was time for the surging country soul of Just About Glad and made a couple of forays into the auditorium, while Mike from Ottawa successfully wielded the Hammer of Songs and made the connoisseur’s choice of Clown Strike.

Much of the joy of this gig was derived from watching the fans make the most of their time on stage, some listening rapt by the bar, others becoming part of the performance, frugging away in the go-go dancer’s cage.

But, novelty aside, this was a show with inherently infectious spirit, powerful moments such as the political one-two of Shipbuilding and Oliver’s Army and the Thatcher-inspired Tramp The Dirt Down.

There were pockets of haunting intimacy threaded through the general mischief and two – count ’em – whistling solos. Now, that’s entertainment.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WOW!!!!! nice show

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Edinburgh, England
June 16th, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine
I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars
"Lips" Jackpot - Spin 1
Lipstick Vogue
Lip Service
Alison - Spin 2
"Cash" - Spin 3
Cry Cry Cry
Song With Rose - IMPROMPTU
Flutter & Wow - Spin 4
Love Field - IMPROMPTU
"Time" Jackpot - Spin 5
Strict Time
Man Out Of Time
Out Of Time
Beyond Belief - Spin 6
Just About Glad - IMPROMPTU
The Hammer Of Songs
Clown Strike
The Judgement - IMPROMPTU
Watching The Detectives - IMPROMPTU
Almost Blue - IMPROMPTU
Shipbuilding - Spinners Choice
Interlude
Oliver's Army
Good Year For The Roses
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Walking My Baby Back Home - Solo
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
My Three Sons
Suit Of Lights
Tramp The Dirt Down
Finale
Chelsea
New Lace Sleeves
Greenshirt
Red Shoes
Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding
GCM

Post by GCM »

It was indeed a fantastic show and the choice of songs was brilliant for devotees, if less so for the casual listener. Elvis is an excellent MC and the Imposters were on top form. My wife, who has seen Elvis a bunch of times over the years, was less impressed with the format and thought the show would flow better without the gimmicks and if Elvis just made up a good running order himself. I don't really agree and I enjoyed the spontaneity of the random selections. there were several that I probably hadn't heard him sing for 15-20 years.

My favourite portion of the show was the acoustic section and it was bizarre hearing a great rendition of Almost Blue coming from the stage when the singer was unseen up in the Circle. A minor criticism from me is that several times Elvis was late to start singing his lines and had to catch up, I haven't noticed him do this much before.

So my 39th show is done but I'm looking forward to the next - a wee UK tour with the Roots would be lovely but unlikely.

Oh, and finally the Scottish capital isn't in England!
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

GCM wrote:My wife, who has seen Elvis a bunch of times over the years, was less impressed with the format and thought the show would flow better without the gimmicks and if Elvis just made up a good running order himself.
Grounds for divorce.
verbal gymnastics

Clown strike! Love field! Wow!