Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Gateshead, 12 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
nicola76

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Gateshead, 12 June '13

Post by nicola76 »

Me :D Managed to get a front row ticket and the trip to City Hall last year reminded me that Newcastle really isn't that far from Edinburgh
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Anyone else?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Yup, me for this and Blackpool and that's the lot unless I can bum a Manchester ticket :wink:
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Dixie posted a picture of the wheel.

And another Vine video: http://vine.co/v/bl67KUPmb0Y
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Has Nunki put Dixie on his payroll to supply photos of the Wheel?

Whatever the case they are much appreciated.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

watch yourself MOOT! ANCT always has an inside track! :lol: :lol: :lol:
And No Coffee Table

Twitter:
2 3/4 hrs of musical genius from Elvis Costello tonight. I'd rank it 2nd best out of the 34 times I've seen him. Barrowlands gig is no. 1
Tonight ‪#elvis‬ costello said to me "you should be in my band" on account of my jacket and shoe combination. Happiest girl in Edinburgh!
Poor Napoleon and I'll Wear it Proudly were the highlights! An amazing 2 3/4 hours!
Talking in the Dark too making an appearance - amazing gig.
Yes, we did tramp the dirt down with ‪@ElvisCostello‬ at ‪@sage_gateshead‬ tonight... ‪#dingdong‬!
"I'll Wear It Proudly" was last played in October 2002 (which, coincidentally or not, was around the time EC and Cait separated).
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

And No Coffee Table wrote:Twitter:
Poor Napoleon and I'll Wear it Proudly were the highlights! An amazing 2 3/4 hours!
"I'll Wear It Proudly" was last played in October 2002 (which, coincidentally or not, was around the time EC and Cait separated).

i'm missing the coincidence ANCT! clarification please. thanks, ba

or do you mean that he wrote Napoleon with her and played it tonight with Proudly????
And No Coffee Table

bronxapostle wrote:i'm missing the coincidence ANCT! clarification please.
I meant Cait was probably the inspiration for "I'll Wear It Proudly," and it may not be a coincidence that he stopped playing it for many years after they split up.
And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Gateshead, England
June 12th, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

No Action
Red Shoes
Uncomplicated
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

"King's Ransom" Jackpot - Spin 1

One Bell Ringing
Poisoned Rose
Stations Of The Cross
I'll Wear It Proudly

"Detectives vs Hoover Factory" - Spin 2 Split Decision

Watching The Detectives
Hoover Factory

Sulky Girl - Spin 3

Beyond Belief - IMPROMPTU

Stella Hurt - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Poor Napoleon

Less Than Zero - IMPROMPTU

Alison - IMPROMPTU

Welcome To The Working Week - IMPROMPTU

Shipbuilding - IMPROMPTU

Oliver's Army - IMPROMPTU

"Joanna" Jackpot - Napoleon's Choice -Spin 4

I Still Have That Other Girl
She
Talking In The Dark
Accident's Will Happen

Good Year For The Roses - Spin 5

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Tramp The Dirt Down

Finale

Heart Of The City
Chelsea
Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding
I Want You
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The wonderful Sage provided a perfect setting for the SSS and compared to the
Philharmonic hall in liverpool the sound here was sublime . The first spinners were a family from in front of me and the young boy wasn't too sure which song he wanted but his Dad knew all the words. Despite Dixie's encouragement, the young lad wouldn't go in the cage, thoigh his Dad looked keen ! The Joanna section was superb and it only needed Little Triggers to make it perfect for me with that mighty intro by Steve. Strangely, the audience was really enthusiastic but stayed sitting for most of the gig, and some didn't quite know what to do when Elvis went walkabout.however it may just have been politeness because they loved every minute of this long show. I thought the usual ending of PIU and PLU would have wrapped things up and then the ensemble did one of the most intense readings of I Eant You that I've ever heard (and I have heard a few! Nicola and I met Steve, Davey and Elvis after the show and pointed out Nicola's amazing shoes to Elvis, if this doesn't get her to spin tonight ......another wonderful night with superb versatility rangimg from
The Joanna section , to Poisoned Rose, where Elvis kept waving his hands to quieten the rhythm section to the ferocious blast of the trio of Sulky Girl, Beyond Belief and Stella Hurt. Yhere was also a shpit for Hopver Factory before the "vote" but enough of us cheered Hoover Factory to persuade Elvis to play that as well. Now , how to remind hom of Dr. Luther's Assistant ?
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Wow! Sounds like a great night.

Nicola76 - don't forget to tell us about the view from the stage and what Elvis has taped to his monitor when you're on stage tonight!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.journallive.co.uk/culture-ne ... -33470785/

Review: Elvis Costello at The Sage Gateshead

MUSIC hall madness with added slapstick, stand-up and – above all – some really fine songs were packaged into an evening high in quality and entertainment.

Elvis Costello is back on the road with The Imposters, a spectacular spinning wheel songbook and even some cage dancing. It all may sound a little surreal but the Vaudevillian, burlesque-style really worked.

Although most of the set list was clearly predetermined, there were moments when audience members were invited on stage to spin the wheel and hear the song randomly selected. It brought audience participation to a new level.

The format was fun, frenetic and nearly three hours long.

We didn’t have to wait long for each Costello classic. Alison, Watching The Detectives, Oliver’s Army and I Don’t Want to Go To Chelsea came in quick succession.

There was a wonderful and fitting rendition of Shipbuilding and a moving Tramp the Dirt Down which showed Costello still has the capacity to be an angry man. In contrast, he later sat in the audience for a rendition of Charles Aznavour’s She.

The rocking climax gave one last chance for the band, hostess and cage dancer to come together for a final blast.

With Pete Thomas on drums and the hugely impressive Steve Nieve on keyboards, the volume was pumped up for What’s So Funny About Peace, Love and Understanding and, of course, Pump It Up.

Encore followed encore until the lights finally came up.
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

The photo they used is from when -- 2008? 2005?
sweetest punch wrote: http://www.journallive.co.uk/culture-ne ... -33470785/

Review: Elvis Costello at The Sage Gateshead
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wowee, I think this is my new 'night I most wish I'd been at' for this tour on account of the two from KOA with the brilliant Stations in between, Hoover Factory (OMG, don't think I've ever heard him play that, unless he did in Guernsey in 1980!), and how about opening with No Action?!? (As he did the 1994 night at the RAH I was at, blistering.) Love the way he's varying the openings more on this tour.

Sulky, that must have been a VERY intense IWY for you to say that. Will the Funkygibbon be uploading soonish? I hope the class acoustics of the Sage made for a top notch recording. One I will have to download.

Great quote to Nicola re the jacket and shoes!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Otis Westinghouse wrote: Hoover Factory (OMG, don't think I've ever heard him play that, unless he did in Guernsey in 1980!)
I was really lucky to see it in 2011. When he polled the audience for WTD vs Hoover, the applause was close enough that he did both:

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
Otis Westinghouse wrote: Hoover Factory (OMG, don't think I've ever heard him play that, unless he did in Guernsey in 1980!)
I was really lucky to see it in 2011. When he polled the audience for WTD vs Hoover, the applause was close enough that he did both:

NO OTIS!!! only done THIRTEEN times (that we know of and NOT between 1978 and 1986!)

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... er_Factory
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sorry Otis, I'm not
the Funkygibbon
I have another dime label chosen by my son. However, once the house move is sorted, I will be uploading the 8 shows I attended which haven't been upped by Mr Funky ( not sure if he reads this forum but I don't know who he is !) I really love going to The Sage, it's an exquisite building with an astounding view over the Tyne, full of friendly,lively and interesting people who love their music and it has incredibly brilliant acoustics - I jut wish it was 300 miles closer to Plymouth now !
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Yep, for several years now a venue I've really wanted to visit. Two of my heroes Ron S and Lloyd C play their when touring. Would love to catch one of them, as well as Elvis. bit far from Cambridge too. So I was wrong re Funkygibbon! Looking forward to the uploads.

Thanks Doc for the HF clip. His voice sounds great on it, but wouldn't it work better with an acoustic, and/or some keyboard? What a tune!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Funny you mention Ron playing there, as there are a few Scots I know travelling down to see him at The Sage rather than make the trip through to Glasgow for his show there because of the quality of the venue!

I'm making the trip down because it clashes with Springsteen in Glasgow and I'm spoiling myself by seeing both of them :D
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

A review from this weeks edition of the Record Collector Weekly Newsletter:

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Gateshead Sage
12/6/13
View: lefthand stalls
Kitted out in a three-piece suit, tie and pork-pie hat, Elvis sweated through a 165-minute show, bassist Davey Faragher supplying backing vocals, while Elvis sang his head off, including in the stalls and balcony, shaking hands and meeting his audience. The Spectacular Spinning Songbook stage show featured a fairground wheel of fortune containing songs that could be chosen by the audience. Among their number, Frank and Alan were selected, and jigged with go-go dancer Dixie De La Fontaine, while favourites like Watching The Detectives, I Don’t Want To Go To Chelsea and Alison were all performed. Ian Ravendale
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

At last, Otis - my recording is up on dime - I'm post nights and haven't included the link -sorry - those who want it know where to look ! Night,night !