Elvis & The Imposters play Blackpool, 13 June '13

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Blackpool, 13 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Last edited by johnfoyle on Sat May 25, 2013 12:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
verbal gymnastics

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Blockpool, 13 June '13

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Where's Blockpool? :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Blackpool, 13 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

:oops: :oops: :oops:
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Again, me. Couldn't get Friday 14th off work, so having to drive straight back up the road after the gig.

Take out shares in Red Bull now.........
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.blackpoolgazette.co.uk/what- ... -1-5725112

Elvis puts his faith in his own wheel of fortune

by Steve Canavan
steve.canavan@blackpoolgazette.co.uk

Published on the 01 June

I don’t dish out the title “music legend” without good reason but I think it’s fair to say we’ve got one coming to Blackpool in the next couple of weeks.

Elvis Costello (born the slightly less rock ‘n’ roll Declan Patrick MacManus, in London in 1954) has been one of the biggest names on the music scene since the mid 70s when he released critically acclaimed debut album My Aim Is True.

He is at the Opera House on Thursday, June 13 (tickets still available if you’re quick) and the show promises to be a little different to the norm.

Here’s the deal. A member of the audience is invited up to spin the Spectacular Spinning Songbook Wheel – a giant wheel loaded with the names of 50 of Costello’s songs – and the band have to play whichever song it lands on.

There are showgirls on stage, and the lucky audience member can either stay up there in a cage to dance alongside the band – many do apparently – or sit in a more relaxed area at the back and drink cocktails.

It has more in common with old-fashioned vaudeville than a standard rock ‘n’ roll concert, while the wheel serves up interesting combinations of songs, eschewing the normal pacing of a planned set list.

“We have to be well-rehearsed, we have to have 50 songs in the pocket to even play the game,” says Costello. “We’ve delved into the back catalogue a bit so I think we have about 150 we can choose from.

“The wheel’s fair, too, until we lean on it a bit when someone tells us it’s their wedding anniversary or something. Mostly we let it be true and the wheel decides. Some songs have come up two or three times a night.”

Naturally, there are gasps when the wheel approaches any of Costello’s biggest hits - Oliver’s Army, Alison, Watching The Detectives, Everyday I Write The Book or Pump It Up. Often what would normally be a ‘finale’ song or form part of an encore will be chosen right at the top of a show.

“The wheel has made us play the older songs better, and we never know what to expect,” says Costello.

“You have to drop into the darkest, most emotional songs without any preparation, and one of your favourites might not get chosen for five shows.”

He does, however, insist on playing Shipbuilding and Tramp The Dirt Down.

His show in Blackpool will see Costello playing with his band The Imposters – essentially the backing band of his 1980s heyday, The Attractions, with one or two different members.

The gig is part of a month-long tour of the UK, and a follow-on from a similar tour last year.

“We thought we’d go to the places we missed last spring,” says Costello.

“The shows were brilliant last time around, the atmosphere at each really special, so we can’t wait to do it again.”

One fact you’ve probably heard before but which I’m going to repeat anyway because it’s great... Costello’s father Ross MacManus sang the theme to the famous ‘Secret Lemonade Drinker’ adverts for R White’s Lemonade in the 1970s, while a teenage Costello provided the backing vocals.

Meanwhile, you can buy ticket for Costello’s Opera House gig (priced £37.50-£42.50) at www.blackpoollive.co.uk or by calling 0844 856 1111.
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

I'm there, day off work and treating Mrs Oliversa1. She can't wait (to play on the fruit machines and have a game of bingo).
Don't Start Me Talking, I Could Talk All Night.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Nearly at this date.
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

Can't wait for this one, front row of stalls. Got to be better than the Circle at Liverpool.
verbal gymnastics

I think nicola76 is there as well. Front row too unless I'm mistaken.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Waiting to go in but meed to coll a poster just before 8 from the box office! Chatted to Nicola after The Sage last night, she will be on front row with amazing shoes !
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Impromptu performance of How Much I Lied and first outing for Green Short . 2 couples nect to mecwalked out after TTDD , nowhere near full auditorium, and quite a staid audience,more tomorrow
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

Got back to Edinburgh at 4 am and saying I'm struggling is an understatement :shock: < Red Bull face. Had about 90 minutes sleep. Getting a big coffee will be the first thing I do at work today!

Agree with Sulky. I thought Elvis had to work quite hard for the crowd in Blackpool to get any sort of reaction which was a shame as the venue was really quite pleasant. Unfortunately I wasn't in the front row, but 3rd row for this one. Looking past the small crowd, there were some really nice comments from Elvis about his Dad and his first appearance on a Blackpool stage with his Dad's band when he was 17 (when he tuned the guitar wrongly and had to enthusiastically mime for the whole performance :lol: ) Some other nice wee anecdotes which I hadn't heard before.

There was a sweet moment when an 8 yr young girl (I need to get me a kid for this tour!) and her Mum were invited to spin. Elvis suggested that she might want to look up his nearly 7 year old boys in a few years time :oops: The little girl (Tilly) looked quite terrified, but seemed to come round and even went into the cage for a dance with Elvis to Everyday I Write the Book.

Sadly I had a guy in front of my who spent the whole gig checking his phone's online account, texting, on Facebook, etc, but at least when he was doing that, he wasn't talking in his full voice which he did even during something like Shipbuilding.........Shipbuilding?! Usually a show highlight and something I find really emotional at the line '...diving for pearls........("Where's the toilets? They at the back?") .....when we could be diving for......('Want a drink?') :roll: Some of his comments and (sexual) gestures to his mate about Dixie I could really have done without hearing :shock: (Any chance of a vomit smiley for such moment?!)

So, sadly, no spin for me or my sparkly dancing shoes in Blackpool. I think I'm 20 years too old and too close to a size 14 to get picked :lol:

After my little road trip, I'm really looking forward to the Edinburgh show and seeing Elvis in my own town. He did tell me to wear my dancing shoes in Edinburgh. Hell, I'll be holding them up in the air from the 4th row!!!
charliestumpy

Post by charliestumpy »

Thankyou all for updates.

I suspect - as most of us do - that Green Short is actually Green Shirt ...
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

The Spectacular Return of 'The Spectacular Spinning Songbook' The Results

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Blackpool, England
June 13th, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine
I Hope You're Happy Now
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars
Riot Act - Spin 1
Everyday I Write The Book - Spin 2 Tilly's Spin
"Lips" Jackpot - Spin 3
Lipstick Vogue
Lip Service
Shipbuilding - Spin 4
Harry Worth - IMPROMPTU
The Hammer Of Songs
Clubland - Spin 5
"King's Ransom" Jackpot - Spin 6
Indoor Fireworks
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Walking My Baby Back Home - Solo
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Suit Of Lights
Tramp The Dirt Down - IMPROMPTU
Interlude
Talking In The Dark
Invisible Man
She
Accidents Will Happen
How Much I Lied - Spin 7 - Spinners Request
Good Year For The Roses - IMPROMPTU
Watching The Detectives - IMPROMPTU
Finale
Greenshirt
Chelsea
Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding
Oliver's Army
oliversa1

Post by oliversa1 »

The bald headed guy and blonde lady to his left are yours truly and Mrs oliversa1, thanks for highlighting my bald spot, lol.

We were locked in inside the Winter Gardens earlier on in the day, bar staff thinking we were crew, got to hear a couple of numbers in the rehearsal.

Great day, great concert, pity not more people there and I agree Elvis had to work hard to get the crowd going.

I thought roadies were a bit off last night, not willing to give anything away, really wanted one of those beakers aswell. :cry:

I have got a full recording of Pump it Up on my IPhone 5, but not sure how to get off my phone and posted on here or You Tube, can someone help?
Last edited by oliversa1 on Fri Jun 14, 2013 7:39 am, edited 2 times in total.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

that Green Short is actually Green Shirt ...
:oops:
Sorry not referring to the drinks in the Society Lounge :lol:
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:
that Green Short is actually Green Shirt ...
:oops:
Sorry not referring to the drinks in the Society Lounge :lol:
:lol:
nicola76 wrote:After my little road trip, I'm really looking forward to the Edinburgh show and seeing Elvis in my own town. He did tell me to wear my dancing shoes in Edinburgh. Hell, I'll be holding them up in the air from the 4th row!!!
If Elvis told you to wear them I'm sure you'll be picked to spin the wheel. If I had a reputation then I'd stake it. I foresee you being on stage and Elvis making a comment about them.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

oliversa1 wrote:The bald headed guy and blonde lady to his left are yours truly and Mrs oliversa1, thanks for highlighting my bald spot, lol.

We were locked in inside the Winter Gardens earlier on in the day, bar staff thinking we were crew, got to hear a couple of numbers in the rehearsal.
do tell about the rehearsal/soundcheck...did you get to hear anything DIFFERENT that was NOT played at the show please?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Shipbuilding
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

That's the mother of Tilly (hooray !!!) who was the 8 year old who danced so sweetly in the Go-Go cage with Dixie. I can't praise Dixie or Josephine too highly for their people skills and especially the way they dealt with the children who were dragged onto the stage by their parents throughout all the shows I've seen. My lad is taller than me and rather ripped now at 23 so I couldn't drag him on stage even if I managed to get him to a Costello concert ! :roll:
After the show, Nicola76 and I caught Elvis, Pete and Davey as they left, Elvis laughed about turning sideways for Davey to see how the ending of "How Much I Lied" went and chuckled when I said how amazingly versatile they are. Davey shook my hand and thanked me for all the shows I'd been to but Steve had moaned about me not buying his CD at Gateshead so I purchased a copy at Blackpool (unsigned) and then he cleared off in his own car after the show so I didn't get it signed after all. Meanwhile, I've noticed some cheapskates selling their autographs from the Milton Keynes show - this should prove to Mr Nieve, I don't get him to sign so I can sell it on eBay, I store them all so it can drive Mrs. Sulky bonkers when we move house and I refuse to ditch anything Costello - linked !
Listened to Lazy Point on the drive back to Birmingham and it moderated my driving so much that my mpg went up by 2.5 ! Will comment on it elsewhere.
Will also give my overall view of this first half of the tour elsewhere on this forum ! :D
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sulky lad wrote:That's the mother of Tilly (hooray !!!) who was the 8 year old who danced so sweetly in the Go-Go cage with Dixie. I can't praise Dixie or Josephine too highly for their people skills and especially the way they dealt with the children who were dragged onto the stage by their parents throughout all the shows I've seen. My lad is taller than me and rather ripped now at 23 so I couldn't drag him on stage even if I managed to get him to a Costello concert ! :roll:
After the show, Nicola76 and I caught Elvis, Pete and Davey as they left, Elvis laughed about turning sideways for Davey to see how the ending of "How Much I Lied" went and chuckled when I said how amazingly versatile they are. Davey shook my hand and thanked me for all the shows I'd been to but Steve had moaned about me not buying his CD at Gateshead so I purchased a copy at Blackpool (unsigned) and then he cleared off in his own car after the show so I didn't get it signed after all. Meanwhile, I've noticed some cheapskates selling their autographs from the Milton Keynes show - this should prove to Mr Nieve, I don't get him to sign so I can sell it on eBay, I store them all so it can drive Mrs. Sulky bonkers when we move house and I refuse to ditch anything Costello - linked !
Listened to Lazy Point on the drive back to Birmingham and it moderated my driving so much that my mpg went up by 2.5 ! Will comment on it elsewhere.
Will also give my overall view of this first half of the tour elsewhere on this forum ! :D
Steve had a real nice deal from his website a couple years back. a PERSONALIZED (To Rose & Benny THANK YOU) autograph "MUMU" for like $12 and mailed by his own hands from France. yes, he even addressed the envelope himself! :wink:
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

nicola76 wrote:Sadly I had a guy in front of my who spent the whole gig checking his phone's online account, texting, on Facebook, etc, but at least when he was doing that, he wasn't talking in his full voice which he did even during something like Shipbuilding.........Shipbuilding?! Usually a show highlight and something I find really emotional at the line '...diving for pearls........("Where's the toilets? They at the back?") .....when we could be diving for......('Want a drink?') :roll: Some of his comments and (sexual) gestures to his mate about Dixie I could really have done without hearing :shock: (Any chance of a vomit smiley for such moment?!)
I'm no misanthrope, but why is it that being a) behind a steering wheel and b) going to gigs can make certain people turn into such vile morons that you can't help feeling liquidation is the only remedy? I can feel my bile rising just reading the above. I actually have to tell people to keep quiet these days in such moments, even if they get angry. I was behind a ridiculous woman who was leaping around (possibly off her head) and shouting at the people around her that they were morons for not dancing. she kept doing this 'red injun' type hollering to show how much she was into it, as well as shouting 'I love you Neil' between the songs. At least she was into it, but she was so loud and taking up so much space. I and others expressed our wish to listen to the music not her. Your Shipbuilding moment makes me want to cry. I went to Stratford last week for my annual RSC-fest and had two moments ruined with a) an idiot coughing very loudly at the end of a very emotional and beautiful rendition of the 'All the world's a stage' speech ('Sans teeth [COUGH], sans eyes [COUGH COUGH' etc.), as if he couldn't wait, and why is it that at plays or classical music, once one person coughs loudly, another has to follow, as if it's a mating ritual?, and b) during one of the Hamlet soliloquies, a teenager was loudly banging his trainer against the railings. OK, a kid, on a school trip, but even so.

interesting to see Invisible Man getting aired again. Am now really hoping he does it in Westport.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
nicola76

Post by nicola76 »

It was disappointing and did ruin the moment somewhat. Shipbuilding is the one song I can't help but drop a tear to when it's played, and I love hearing the opening chords. Sometimes I just shut my eyes and soak it all in all the more. I think it's safe to say that the two in front of me didn't want to be there. At least one of them had the decency to look slightly embarrassed at the comments and gestures his 'mate' was making to / about Dixie. Just creeps. Tony Bennett at the Royal Concert Hall last year was somewhat blighted by two Italian tourists who blethered through parts of his show - even asnwering their phone during it :shock: :evil: My (admittedly less then) polite request for them to shut it, did have the desired effect. But, seriously, what goes on in some people's minds?

Edinburgh to look forward to later, and I can't wait to see Elvis in my home city in a few hours time - anyone chats about toilets during Shipbuilding tonight and they're getting slung out!