New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by johnfoyle »

This Tweet from this evening -

Questlove Jenkins Q ‏@questlove

@StevenMandel put the record away steve. --- signed @ImposterSpeaks & @questlove

8:12 PM - 30 May 13

is, perhaps, a note of finality about Wise Up Ghost. It would seem that Elvis and Questlove have signed off on on a finished mix, telling Steven Mandel so. I reTweeted this with a jokey 'HISTORIC MOMENT' comment and - be still my beating heart! - Steven 'favourited' it.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

WAY COOL King Foyle!! allow me to go favorite it too. see you there. and as my last post at this thread was at the bottom of page 7, allow me to reiterate. dont want anyone missing it. NO BELLYACHING! NEW MUSIC COMING SOON TO A TURNTABLE IN YOUR HOME!!! GET HAPPY!!
bronxapostle wrote:GUYS PLEASE!!!!!!! stop bellyaching! any NEW Elvis is good Elvis and of COURSE there will be NEW songs. what do you think this is: KOJAK VARIETY MEETS THE ROOTS??? if we were stuck in limbo wondering "IF" we would "EVER" get a new release on this May 30th, THEN we would have a right to be moaning and groaning. embrace the newness coming our way....YOU WILL ENJOY WHAT YOU GET!!! that's an order. :lol: :lol: :lol:
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

bronxapostle wrote:what do you think this is: KOJAK VARIETY MEETS THE ROOTS???
I'd totally buy that record.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

me too JD!!! i just think we are all jonesing for some NEW songs!!! :wink: :wink:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

johnfoyle wrote:
Elvis went HAM on some ole Ezra Pound shit.

This may be a bit of a stretch -

http://poetry.about.com/od/poemsbytitle ... tmusic.htm

Ancient Music

by Ezra Pound (1912)

Winter is icumen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm,
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.
Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham
Damm you; Sing: Goddamm.
Goddamm, Goddamm, ’tis why I am, Goddamm,
So ’gainst the winter’s balm.
Sing goddamm, damm, sing goddamm,
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM.

(This is Pound’s parody of the medieval lyric “Sumer Is Icumen In”)

http://poetry.about.com/library/weekly/blanonsummer.htm

I am enjoying how these two have so many 'jonesing' for their fix- even having us chasing our tails for Ezra references. I have been waiting for some one to notice that those quoted lines are simply from Bedlam:

I've got this phosphorescent portrait
of gentle Jesus meek and mild
I've got this harlot that I'm stuck with
carrying another man's child
The solitary star announcing vacancy
burnt out as we arrived
They'd throw us back across the border
if they knew that we survived
And they were surprised to see us
So they greeted us with palms
They asked for ammunition,
acts of contrition and small alms

I personally have called off my search amongst the early "Ripostes" by Mr. Pound. Good guess would be that this will be a tune that Ms Marisol will sink her teeth into. They are probably having a great laugh or two as we run in circles. 8)
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Yanyna

Post by Yanyna »

The Roots posted on Facebook:

In addition to the vinyl reissue of "Things Fall Apart," did you know that The Roots released another (EXTREMELY) limited edition album called "Wise Up Ghost" on Record Store Day?

Recorded with Elvis Costello, "Wise Up Ghost" will see wide release on September 17th.

Details on Okayplayer!

http://okp.la/1732sl

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid ... 946&type=1
"Everything Important I Learned In Life Was From Woody Allen."
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

Lester Burnham wrote:Sounds like samples.
It sure does. If so, this may not have been as farfetched as I thought:
the_platypus wrote:There's this Twitter exchange between producer Steven Mandel and EC, from a couple days ago:
‏@ImposterSpeaks
You know what they say? "Patience" is an opera by Gilbert and Sullivan.

@StevenMandel
@ImposterSpeaks And Impatience is a sample.
I may be grasping at straws here, but could it be that they've sampled the "North"-era track "Impatience" for a song in "Wise Up Ghost"?
cwr

Post by cwr »

I've speculated about this before, but I think there is a key difference between this collaboration and Costello's previous ones.

Costello/McCartney/Bacharach/Toussaint/etc... Usually, it's Costello honoring an elder statesman, and they like him but simply don't have the same encyclopedic grasp of his body of work that he has of theirs.

Now, Costello has worked with younger groups in small ways before (No Doubt, members of Supergrass, etc) where they are aware they're in the presence of greatness. But hearing that they're sampling songs like "Satellite" and "You Left Me In The Dark" makes me think that this is maybe the first major collaborative effort where Costello is the one being idolized. However, Costello is probably much more familiar with The Roots than, say, McCartney or Bacharach were with EC's work, so it'll be more of a two-way street.

But I think this could make things potentially more exciting for those EC fans who tend to be a little less excited by previous collaborative projects.
bil1cat

Post by bil1cat »

Not sure I believe the promo RSD info. It seems like the music wasn't even finished being mixed by then. Sounds like a marketing ploy to sell the Roots record. Now if someone could produce a copy and show a picture. I'd believe.
:shock:
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

cwr wrote:But I think this could make things potentially more exciting for those EC fans who tend to be a little less excited by previous collaborative projects.
We shall see...

I agree with your comments about younger/elder statesmanship.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

A bare-bones listing is up on Amazon for a "deluxe CD":

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Up-Ghost-Del ... s+costello

Also, vinyl (2 discs):

http://www.amazon.com/Wise-Ghost-Elvis- ... s+costello
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Couple of punters were waiting outside last night and asked about new material and Elvis said there was a new album coming out in September and the chap asked if it was an Imposters album and Elvis looked a bit phased and said no, it's with The Roots and the bloke said "Who?" and Elvis just repeated "The Roots". I was going to elaborate but I thought it would just make me look nerdy ( and with 10 shows lined up, I'm obviously not at all !!!) so I just told Elvis how much I loved Jimmie and what an amazing song it was- as an aside, the middle 8 starting "Her soft breath" is one of the most gentle, evocative and sympathetic lyrics I've heard for a very long time - there's hardly anyone around who writes such touching and emotional lyrics without plunging into self introspection or self pity - this is just an astoundingly good song, I love it so much !
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

sulky lad wrote:Couple of punters were waiting outside last night and asked about new material and Elvis said there was a new album coming out in September and the chap asked if it was an Imposters album and Elvis looked a bit phased and said no, it's with The Roots and the bloke said "Who?" and Elvis just repeated "The Roots". I was going to elaborate but I thought it would just make me look nerdy ( and with 10 shows lined up, I'm obviously not at all !!!) so I just told Elvis how much I loved Jimmie and what an amazing song it was- as an aside, the middle 8 starting "Her soft breath" is one of the most gentle, evocative and sympathetic lyrics I've heard for a very long time - there's hardly anyone around who writes such touching and emotional lyrics without plunging into self introspection or self pity - this is just an astoundingly good song, I love it so much !

I often wonder if he knows how good that song is? I assume as much from the amount of shows he has featured it in. But deep down, I hope he knows he produced an 'all timer' with that one. I hope it gives him such deep satisfaction in his artistic core- even if the overall record failed to chart.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Just to say, agreed, Sulky and Jack, about Jimmie Standing in the Rain. Such a wonderful song - at least half of his most recent album, National Ransom, has songs as good as any from Elvis's amazing career. We're lucky to have him!
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

cwr wrote:I've speculated about this before, but I think there is a key difference between this collaboration and Costello's previous ones.

Costello/McCartney/Bacharach/Toussaint/etc... Usually, it's Costello honoring an elder statesman, and they like him but simply don't have the same encyclopedic grasp of his body of work that he has of theirs.

Now, Costello has worked with younger groups in small ways before (No Doubt, members of Supergrass, etc) where they are aware they're in the presence of greatness. But hearing that they're sampling songs like "Satellite" and "You Left Me In The Dark" makes me think that this is maybe the first major collaborative effort where Costello is the one being idolized. However, Costello is probably much more familiar with The Roots than, say, McCartney or Bacharach were with EC's work, so it'll be more of a two-way street.

But I think this could make things potentially more exciting for those EC fans who tend to be a little less excited by previous collaborative projects.
Nice one cwr, EC does seem to have moved up the musical family tree. This collaboration has great promise - and this is coming from someone who has willingly listened to For The Stars on several occasions. Hopefully it will bring a few people in and maybe even a few people back. I'm only slightly sad that the wheel tour I'm about to joyfully jump into for a few nights this month probably won't reflect any of this work that I imagine the old boy is most excited about right now.
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Neil. wrote:Just to say, agreed, Sulky and Jack, about Jimmie Standing in the Rain. Such a wonderful song - at least half of his most recent album, National Ransom, has songs as good as any from Elvis's amazing career. We're lucky to have him!
One of the greatest songs of his entire career. But it is an interesting question whether he realizes it. Artists often have a devil of a time achieving objectivity about their own work. For all we know, 'That's Not the Part of Him You're Leaving' is his favourite cut. :roll:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
cwr

Post by cwr »

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/50-50+Vision/394

Costello ranked "Jimmie Standing In The Rain" #4 on his own personal top 100!
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

In the Studio: Elvis Costello and the Roots Throw a Punk-Funk Party
Inside the unlikely pairing of the acerbic singer-songwriter with the baddest hip-hop band in the world

By Jon Dolan

June 4, 2013 11:45 AM ET

During the four years that the Roots have been the house band on Jimmy Fallon's show, drummer-bandleader Questlove has dealt with pretty much every flavor of rock-star attitude. But he's always had an easy working relationship with Elvis Costello, who has appeared on the show three times. "It's a supercherry on top when someone encourages you to take it in a different direction," he says. "Elvis was wide open to have us reinterpret '(I Don't Want to Go to) Chelsea' and 'Less Than Zero.'"

Their dressing-room jam sessions eventually led to a full collaborative LP, Wise Up Ghost, due out this fall. "We had no deadline, no labels involved," says Costello. "We were just doing it on our own." They considered revisiting Costello oldies, as they'd done on Fallon, but soon decided to work on new material. Says the drummer, "I didn't want to be the bad guy ruining well-known classics."

Costello enjoyed diving into the Roots' world, watching them develop his "little spidery sketches" into something brand-new. The results suggest a 21st-century version of Watergate-era funk – Armed Forces by way of There's a Riot Goin' On. With the album nearly finished – they're currently adding strings with an orchestra – Costello and the Roots can't wait to hit the road when their schedules align. "I'll tweet out anything," Questlove adds. "This is the only thing I never tweeted about. I wanted to make sure it was perfect."
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

And No Coffee Table wrote:They considered revisiting Costello oldies, as they'd done on Fallon, but soon decided to work on new material. Says the drummer, "I didn't want to be the bad guy ruining well-known classics."
Good
And No Coffee Table wrote:Costello and the Roots can't wait to hit the road when their schedules align.
Great!
seanpointblank

Post by seanpointblank »

The time for revisiting Costello "oldies" will be on tour. I've loved EC + The Roots performing his songs together, but I'm far more excited to hear a creative collaboration that extends beyond rearranging their favorite EC songs.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

docinwestchester wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:They considered revisiting Costello oldies, as they'd done on Fallon, but soon decided to work on new material. Says the drummer, "I didn't want to be the bad guy ruining well-known classics."
Good
And No Coffee Table wrote:Costello and the Roots can't wait to hit the road when their schedules align.
Great!

100% agree doc!!!
seanpointblank wrote:The time for revisiting Costello "oldies" will be on tour. I've loved EC + The Roots performing his songs together, but I'm far more excited to hear a creative collaboration that extends beyond rearranging their favorite EC songs.
100% agree Sean!
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

cwr wrote:http://www.elviscostello.com/news/50-50+Vision/394

Costello ranked "Jimmie Standing In The Rain" #4 on his own personal top 100!

I always visualize 'Jimmie' with black and white credits and being the play out song on a Woody Allen movie
thepopeofpop

Post by thepopeofpop »

cwr wrote:I've speculated about this before, but I think there is a key difference between this collaboration and Costello's previous ones.

Good point. This album is really something that I've been hoping for - for at least 10 years. It occurred to me back then that EC would eventually hit a point where he himself would start to be regarded as an "Elder Statesman" - I figured it would be in his late fifties, and he seems to have just scraped in!
--Paul--
Now put on your ironic dancing shoes
And dig my brand new rhythm and hues:
https://www.paulinglis.org
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Not sure if this interview is already linked in this thread:

"Elvis Costello On New LP with The Roots
Elvis Costello talks about a new project with ?uestlove and The Roots, and the difference between hearing music digitally and on vinyl."
https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=&v=mA8rO_akF-s#!

Could someone please tell me what does he say after "scratches" at 2:10? Thanks in advance.
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

thepopeofpop wrote:

Good point. This album is really something that I've been hoping for - for at least 10 years. It occurred to me back then that EC would eventually hit a point where he himself would start to be regarded as an "Elder Statesman" - I figured it would be in his late fifties, and he seems to have just scraped in!
What's especially cool here is that the younger component of the this collaboration is Questlove and his band. The man is a pretty much a walking encyclopedia of soul, R&B, hip hop and rap. Given his background, it's really impressive that a collaboration with EC is a dream come true for him. It reflects EC's continued influence now on a new, younger generation, which in turn continues to build up his legacy.

This is a fun article from this week's New York magazine called "Questlove: My Youth In 27 Records":

http://www.vulture.com/2013/06/questlov ... cords.html

In this excerpt from his upcoming memoir, Mo’ Meta Blues, the Roots drummer and Jimmy Fallon’s bandleader shares the albums that defined him, from his years growing up in a musical—and increasingly religious—family, to the day he landed his first record deal.