Elvis and The Imposters with others in Hyde Park July 12th

Pretty self-explanatory
Jack of All Parades

Elvis and The Imposters with others in Hyde Park July 12th

Post by Jack of All Parades »

This bill is quite impressive- complete with Ray Davies, Elton John, EC, Nick Lowe and even Tift Merritt. If I were in London I would definitely check it out:

http://bit.ly/ZcZUaY
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
HopeYou'reHappyNow

Re: Elvis and The Imposters with others in Hyde Park July 12

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

I am working that day, but even if I wasn't, Hyde Park is the most dreadful venue. Sound is terrible, audience are terrible - not even sure the great EC could give a memorable show there.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'll be giving it a miss. Just as I did a few years ago when he played with The Sugarcanes.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

At least Elvis won't have the competing presence of a giant screen showing Germany pissing all over England this time!
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:At least Elvis won't have the competing presence of a giant screen showing Germany pissing all over England this time!

And he will be with the Imposters. The Sugarcanes were not suited to a big open air gig IMO.

I will probably go to this rather than Thetford Forest. I quite like Elton and have never seen him.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Only thing about that choice is that presumably he'll be doing a 75 or so minute set in Hyde Park (as he is at Westport Festival, which is my one Elvis appointment this year, sadly), whereas Thetford will presumably be a good 120 or more.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

75 might be over doing it I reckon he will no more than 60.

I wanted to go Thetford forest but as I cant drive its not an easy place for me to get to.

I have never seen Elton and always wanted to so this is a perfect opportunity for me and the missus to have a night out.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I think this could be a good night, if you like Elton John, but I'm not overly keen on EJ so I'll give this one a miss.

As for Hyde Park sound quality, I guess it depends where you're standing. I've been to the Radio 2 Festival in a Day Concert twice and both times I've really enjoyed it. The tickets for that are less than £40 including booking fee, so great value, but this one is a bit pricier, I guess because EJ is headlining.

The first Hyde Park gig I went to had one of my favourite singers as the penultimate act, so I staked my place quite early, about 4pm, to be sure of a close up view. As the evening set in, my friends and I had to stand firm as various latecomers thought they could just barge in front of us, but we had a great view. On the second occasion we took a more laid back approach, settled ourselves on the lawn outside the main audience area and had a (very expensive) picnic hamper. When one of our favourite acts came on stage it was easy to weave through the back of the crowd to get a little closer, but I wouldn't dare try to push to the front at a late stage - it's just not on, IMO. The sound quality was pretty good all over the Park, and with big screens you needn't miss out if you don't want to be packed in at the front. Hope this info is useful.