Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play RAH, London 6 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
nicola76

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play RAH, London 6 June '13

Post by nicola76 »

Again, me! Happy to meet up with others if there's something planned beforehand. Recommend the RAH Tour for anyone who hasn't been before. I managed to get a ticket for the Bowie exhibition at the V and A that day, so it will be an eventful (and brilliant) day!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

I will be there. Last year we tended to meet up beforehand in The Goat: http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/goat ... ton/c3052/, which appeared to be the nearest pub, although not very near, and we usually managed to find a seat just inside the front door.

You'd be very welcome to join us. If anyone has a better idea for a meeting place, happy to hear it.

MOOT
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I haven't got anything booked but I'm bound to end up trying to grab a ticket at the last minute to one of the RAH shows!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Neil. wrote:I haven't got anything booked but I'm bound to end up trying to grab a ticket at the last minute to one of the RAH shows!
You know I'll be nagging you! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Neil. wrote:I haven't got anything booked but I'm bound to end up trying to grab a ticket at the last minute to one of the RAH shows!
Your last chance tonight. Last night at the RAH was better than the first, hoping that the trend continues...

MOOT
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Heyyyyyyyyy, I fell for the Goat meet up thing on Tuesday. It was suggested that it was a good pre-show vibe among EC followers. I was fortnuate as we met a very nice chap from Norway who was over for the gig but apart from that there was not the 'crowd' that the site suggested.
verbal gymnastics

When Sulky and I got there on 4th we didn't see anybody but we didn't get there until about 7pm.

On 5th we met up with Ronnie, PaulB and his partner and MOOT which was pretty much who was expected.

Will be there again tonight.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Andy Nolan of the BibleCode Sundays tweets:
Off to see @ElvisCostello tonight with @rmacmanusbcs & crew!
@rmacmanusbcs = Ronan MacManus
verbal gymnastics

Let's hope they're just watching and not playing...

Seriously though it would be good to hear American without tears.
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Any pre show meet possibilities tonight, be nice to have a drink and I'm on my own tonight (contrary to very flattering rumour / error Lindsay is not my partner!).
verbal gymnastics

I am in the Goat Tavern awaiting a couple of arrivals.

Apologies for the error with Lindsay. :oops: I knew she was too good for you! :lol:
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

Hold my seat for me-VG! Well at least in spirit :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
And No Coffee Table

Thanks again to Nick for the photo. He thinks the addition of the "Indoor Fireworks" banner means a Nick Lowe appearance.

A couple of very brief videos:

Radio, Radio: http://vine.co/v/bLmPvIYJnvM
Uncomplicated (I think!): http://vine.co/v/bLmUKZV0DQa
And No Coffee Table

MOOT emailed to say that Bonnie Raitt is the night's first guest.

There's also this vague reference on Twitter:
Elvis Costello singing to Bonnie Raitt ! Such a dude!! #spinningsongbook http://pic.twitter.com/p8OtZ95o78
Also on Twitter:
I will only like the spin to win concept if we get Alison, Oliver's Army, Roses, Veronica & Tramp the Dirt Down…
Or Deep Dark Truthful Mirror.. none so far ‪#sadface‬
Slightly happier ‪#girlstalk‬
Costello at RAH. So far I'm with @tracey_thorn. It's all gone a bit Wheeltappers & Shunters
Elvis Costello just sang right beside me !!!!!! Pretty amazing !!!! X http://pic.twitter.com/p0dkzV2yq3
"Watching The Detectives" audio: http://audioboo.fm/boos/1436175
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

ELVIS with BONNIE sounds LEGENDARY!!!! God up above, PLEASE LET THERE BE VIDEO!!! & hope she played guitar too!!
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Awesome night. Probably best of the three. Doll Revolution second in the Overture for one thing but the whole show had flow, the audience in raptures. Lots of dancing, lots of emotion. I Want You was spun early and seems to get even more intense every night. Also met Verbal and happily smoothed over our partnership issues!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Aw, feel like an idiot for not going now - they sounded like great nights! Glad Elvis found his form for the capital gigs. Did Bonnie sing 'Story in Your Voice'?
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Bonnie didn't sing at all sadly, citing in a croaky voice that she'd been playing at the BBC all day but Elvis fiddled the wheel to land on Either Side Of The Same Town and offered to croon it for her. She sat quite delighted, interacting with him and the band. Lovely.
Are you going to any other nights of the tour Neil?
And No Coffee Table

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... -06_London

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution)
03. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
04. High Fidelity
05. Uncomplicated
06. Mystery Dance
07. Radio, Radio
Girl Jackpot - spin 2
08. This Year's Girl
09. Sulky Girl - including Gloria
10. Girls Talk
11. 45 - spin 1
12. I Want You - spin 3
13. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes - spinner's choice
14. Riot Act - spin 4
15. Either Side Of The Same Town - spin 5 by Bonnie Raitt
Cash Jackpot - spin 6
16. Cry, Cry, Cry
17. Song With Rose
18. Brilliant Mistake
The Hammer Of Songs
19. Oliver's Army
20. Man Out Of Time
21. Shipbuilding
Joanna Jackpot - spin 7
22. She- EC & Steve Nieve
23. Shot With His Own Gun- EC & Steve Nieve
24. London's Brilliant Parade
25. Tramp The Dirt Down
Encore 1
26. Indoor Fireworks
27. A Slow Drag With Josephine
28. Jimmie Standing In The Rain
29. Watching The Detectives / Help Me
30. Everyday I Write The Book - spin 8
31. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
32. Pump It Up
33. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Steve Nieve on pipe organ
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

Paul B wrote:Any pre show meet possibilities tonight, be nice to have a drink and I'm on my own tonight (contrary to very flattering rumour / error Lindsay is not my partner!).
Pleased you two finally met up and I hope Verbal didn't cause you to have to answer any awkward questions Paul. :wink: Lindsay is indeed MY partner and I was obviously thrilled Elvis picked her out.. I am a little jealous I didn't make it up there myself of course, but with another woman on stage already, the balance would've been wrong. So I decided not to attempt to join her. Women make better spinners and dancers anyway..If it was me, I fear I may have just simply downed the dreaded cocktail :shock:
Man out of Time

Good show tonight, lots of songs, lots of different songs, and no Russell Crowe. Not as good as Wednesday night though I thought.

It was good to catch up with various fan forum members over the last few days, including Neil and his brother Chris, The Imposter and Lindsay, Paul B (and his son), Nicola and Sverre Ronny who is a Lister if not a forum member. Also thanks to Verbal for looking after my Basingstoke ticket for about 18 months and to Sulky for his spectacular list of live recordings.

One funny moment from tonight's show, before I forget. The Mysterious Josephine (presumably under instruction) is keen on bringing up couples to spin the wheel. Tonight Elvis asked one such couple, who looked to be of similar age, if they had come to the show together? - "Yes". "Were they married?" - "No". He was poised to do his usual spiel about how one young man had felt moved to propose on stage, but before he could do so, one of the "couple" said that they were in fact brother and sister. A close thing.

The Revolver format has mostly worked well, and has meant that over five nights I have heard many many different songs and substantially different sets each night. Roll on Southend.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

It was a very good show and would have been my second favourite had it not been for the awesome night on Wednesday 5th.

There were no guests except for Bonnie Raitt who only spun the wheel. She explained she had been at the BBC all day and her voice was shot. Elvis then recounted a story about the first time they met.

In fact it was a truly international show with spinners from the US (Bonnie Raitt), France, Japan and Spain.

The show - although some 15-20 minutes longer than the other 2 nights - wasn't as well paced but this was in part due to only one jackpot spin ("Girl"). This was from a young Spanish couple and the lady's name was Gloria, hence the Gloria being sung as a coda to Sulky Girl.

One great moment was on the Joanna section. They had just played She and then Steve started playing something completely randomly. Elvis looked at him to kind of say "What are you playing?" and then Steve's flourish after about 30 seconds went into Shot with his own gun. Elvis' face was a picture.

Steve also, as with previous nights, finished Peace, Love & Understanding using the Royal Albert Hall organ. As Elvis and Steve can't see each other Elvis has to give Steve a cue. He cut off Steve (who would have kept on playing) to get back into the song and then when the band finished and they walked off stage he said "We'll leave you with Steve" and Steve carried on playing for a minute or so.

Steve was on blistering form - his mad professorial skills were evident in the encores. I was in the 7th row near centre and could see this head just moving around left and right, up and down.

A couple of the spinners whipped out their mobile phones onstage :roll: Elvis gamefully took the phone from one spinner, filmed himself and then filmed Pete. Another couple were on stage and were taking picutures when one of Elvis' people approached him to, seemingly tell them to stop. Astonishingly he took a picture of them with Elvis in the background - even asking them to move over to their left to get a better picture!

Elvis played a few solos - Everyday, Chelsea, and I want you all got workouts.

It was particularly good to meet meeting Nicola76 who, amazingly was in the same seat one row in front of me. More worrying was her opening gambit of "Were you in the Goat?". Good to see my reputation precedes me :lol:

I think there was actually a better meet up of board members in the Arena section of the Royal Albert Hall every night!

Also I managed to apologise to PaulB for the faux pas and take this opportunity to apologise to the imposter. :oops: Say hello to Lindsay for us!

Three very very good nights spent. Now all I have to do is try and make it up to Mrs VG before my four dates in five days at the end of the tour...