Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Bristol , 2 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going ?
Little Fool

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Bristol , 2 June '13

Post by Little Fool »

I'm going, Birmingham first, Bristol on Sunday then Albert Hall and Basingstoke.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

Well, it's a nice sunny Sunday and soon I'll be driving to Bristol for tonights gig. This will be my 57th show (since 1977) and I'm taking a friend who is an EC virgin !!
Hoping for a good show and maybe even the chance of a wheel spin, (on the stage, not my driving). See you all there.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Hoping to see EC after the show, we didn't meet anyone last night apart from Pete before hand searching for his cousin to establish Roots (bad pun !) and I might try and bum a ticket or two for Milton Keynes just to round shows up to a nice round 11 (?!) :roll:
Mickeman

Post by Mickeman »

Hi all! My name is Micke, I'm from Sweden and I am new on the list.
Im going to tonights concert (the 23rd time I see EC) and I really would like to get back to London after the show.
Since there seems to be no busses or trains I'm wondering if anyone have a seat to spare if they are going to drive to London tonight. I would be more than happy to pay for all the gas.
Anyway, hoping to see a great show in a couple of hours!
krm

Post by krm »

welcome to the list!!
Mickeman

Post by Mickeman »

krm wrote:welcome to the list!!
Thanks! Although Im new on the I have to confess I been reading your posts for over a year.
I knew some people frown opon lurkers, but I have enjoyed just reading all news and opinions.
I first saw Elvis spin the wheel in Stockholm-86 (with Jackson Browne as a guest).
Then I went to Newcastle last year and now Im back in the UK for Bristol and the first RAH-concert.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Mickeman wrote: now Im back in the UK for Bristol and the first RAH-concert
Welcome to the Fan Forum. A lot of us will be at the Show on Tuesday in London. We plan to meet before the show, at The Goat at 3a Kensington High Street:

http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub/goat ... ton/c3052/

We're usually sitting just inside the front door on the left. Just look for a crowd of handsome young people and you'll find us!

MOOT
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

What sort of time do you meet ?
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Just look for a crowd of handsome young people
and VG will be there as well ! :lol: :shock:
Mickeman

Post by Mickeman »

Thanks for the invite.
The Goat seems like a good place.
I'm going to that show with a couple of friends so i'll try to talk them in to coming there.
So maybe I see you guys there!
Mickeman

Post by Mickeman »

The Imposters seems to be in a soul mood.
Temptation and JB:s I Got You were played during soundcheck when I picked up my ticket.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Mickeman wrote:Temptation and JB:s I Got You were played during soundcheck when I picked up my ticket.
I Got You hasn't been played since 1984. Hope they do it tonight!
Mickeman

Post by Mickeman »

When EC started singing they did Alibi, the other side of the telescope, long honeymoon and turpentine.
Well the wheel decides, but if you cant cheat in Bristol... ;-)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I don't want too many new songs, it'll cost me a fortune in CDs for the 2013 compilation !!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I don't want too many new songs, it'll cost me a fortune in CDs for the 2013 compilation !!!
It's now 7:37 and they're not letting us in yet. Met Davey outside just now and he laughed at my ten gig trek !! I thought his harmonies on So Like Candy were sublime last night
Finally let on, only new song I can see on the wheel is Clubland. Which I don't mind at all.
Mickeman

Post by Mickeman »

Sorry if I beeing a bore, but if anyone is driving to London after the show and have room for one more person in the car I gladly pay the fuel. (Promise, last time I am going to post about this).
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Bristol, England
June 2nd, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Uncomplicated
You Belong To Me/The Last Time

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

I Want You - Spin 1

Oliver's Army - Spin 2

Good Year For The Roses - Spin 3

Stranger In The House - IMPROMPTU

Alison - Spin 4

Waiting For The End Of The World - IMPROMPTU

Beyond Belief - IMPROMPTU

She - Spin 5

Motel Matches - Spin 6

"Cash" - Cry Cry Cry - Spin 7

"Beauty Or Beast" Jackpot - Spin 8

Bedlam
Drum & Bone
All This Useless Beauty

Napoleon's Choice

A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Suit Of Lights

Interlude

Shipbuilding
Dr. Watson, I Presume
Tramp The Dirt Down
My Three Sons

Finale

Chelsea

The Hammer Of Songs

Accidents Will Happen
Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding

Joshua's Spin - Spin 9

Watching The Detectives
And No Coffee Table

It looks like the wheel's "????????" banner has been replaced by a revived "Crime and Punishment" jackpot.

http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilest/8930054538/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilest/8930049520/
http://www.flickr.com/photos/gilest/8930058510/
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

"A Slow Drag With Josephine" and "Jimmie Standing In The Rain"

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

http://wannabeyank.wordpress.com/2013/0 ... l-bristol/
Phil Copestake wrote: Elvis Costello & The Imposters, Colston Hall, Bristol

I’m writing this on the last train back to Swindon having seen musical/lyrical hero Elvis Costello and his Imposters at the Colston Hall in Bristol (although unfortunately having had to leave before the encore, thanks to a train timetable that seems expressly designed to make gig-going as impractical as possible). So in the spirit of semi-live blogging, here are a quick three personal takeaways. In no particular order, the gig was…

Fun – and this was, I’ll admit, something of a surprise. Not that I wasn’t expecting an enjoyable evening – I was – but I hadn’t expected Elvis himself to be having so much fun. You see: without much concrete evidence (aside from all those songs of bitterness and heartbreak of course) I’d formed an image of the man behind those famous specs as a pretty tortured fellow. And yet here he was as literal ringmaster of a stage bedecked with circus-themed props including a strengthometer, massive spinning songwheel and caged dancing showgirl. Inviting audience members up to grip the wheel and spin, thereby choosing the next song for the band to play whilst – on two occasions – gyrating alongside the sequinned dancer in her cage. The audience members that is, not Elvis (I didn’t mean he was having quite that much fun). And in amidst the songs chatting away about their origins, about Bristol, and about the rules of the whole spinning thing.

Strong – the Imposters are a four piece, with Elvis on vocals and sole guitar (and the other three on drums, bass and keys respectively) but make a pretty colossal racket. Steve Nieve pounds piano, then Hammond, then synth; often all within the space of one song. And as other bloggers have noted Elvis’ guitar work is blistering, but delicate and dextrous as well, when playing folkier acoustic numbers. Which brings me to number three…

Fresh – this gig really brought home to me how well Elvis’ more recent material (everything from 2004′s rootsy return to form The Delivery Man onwards, say) stands up against Classic Costello. And in fact my one critique of the set is that the band’s volume and apparent over-familiarity with the older tunes – Alison, Oliver’s Army and so on – rendered these segments a little blastingly indistinguishable, with one footstomping 70s/80s anthem blurring into the next. The more modern songs on the other hand were subtler, often beautiful: Bedlam, A Slow Drag With Josephine, and Jimmie Standing In The Rain (the last two from the excellent 2010 album National Ransom) were knockout.
And No Coffee Table

http://twitter.com/Jessicaholly_/status ... 36/photo/1
THE best thing happened last night - just look. #ElvisCostello

buzz

Post by buzz »

This is a great picture of Ben (above) from last night. He made the finale of the show special as he expressed how great it was to be up there on stage with EC. His singing and interacting was brilliant and I managed to tell him so on the way out. Loved the Rezillo's T shirt too.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

I also had a brief chat to Ben and Jess after the show. They really were excited to be on the stage and just couldn.t believe their luck. As you say, they really interacted well and it seemed they knew all the words so true fans. Strangely I also commented to him on the Rezillos shirt !!!
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Yes, good on Ben to ask for Accidents will happen, too.
The evening started with rather too predictable wheel spins, the luck of the draw I guess, but no unusual picks.
Oliver's Army twice running!!
It got better with time, though, and the little lad at the end (?Josh) was good fun.
Good to hear Stranger in the House, Waiting for the End of the World, The Last Time and Motel Matches, though not the surprise level of the previous night in Cardiff.
Never heard Detectives as last song before either.
Elvis seemed to stumble over words more than I've ever heard before though.
The autocue seemed to make things worse to me - before he just covered it up if he went off piste.
Now back to work for a while before a standing gig in Southend.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine