Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis & The Imposters play Cardiff , 1 June '13

Post by johnfoyle »

Roll call for people going to this!
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis & The Imposters play Cardiff , 1 June '13

Post by Man out of Time »

I shall be at this show. Friendly smaller auditorium.

MOOT
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Yep, I'm off to this one, with my bro! See you there!
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Me
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Yes - a triple Elvis weekend
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Likewise with MOOT, Fishfinger and Neil and his good looking brother :wink:
Man out of Time

Largely the same wheel but some changes. Additions include: She, Tiny Steps, New Lace Sleeves and Watch Your Step.

More later.

MOOT
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://twitter.com/JulieLake5/status/3 ... 04/photo/1
Julie Lake wrote:Fame at last! On the stage in St David's Hall with Elvis Costello dancing to a Johnny Cash song.

Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://twitter.com/mikeratcliffe_/stat ... 16/photo/1
https://twitter.com/mikeratcliffe_/stat ... 60/photo/1
Jon Snorrrr wrote: Waiting for Elvis Costello in Cardiff pic.twitter.com/VknEcMWrsp

This 10 year old had two go go dancers and his mum in the go go cage. Almost lucky
Man out of Time

Tonight's setlist:

01. I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
02. High Fidelity
03. Uncomplicated
04. Mystery Dance
05. Radio, Radio
Joker Jackpot - spin 1
06. So Like Candy - spin 2
07. Alison- including The Wind Cries Mary - spinner's choice
08. Everyday I Write The Book - spin 3
Girl Jackpot - spin 5
09. Girls Talk
10. Heart Of The City
11. Secondary Modern
12. Watch Your Step - spin 4
Cash Jackpot - spin 6
13. Cry, Cry, Cry
14. Song With Rose
15. Good Year For The Roses
16. A Slow Drag With Josephine
17. Jimmie Standing In The Rain / Brother, Can You Spare A Dime?
18. Drum & Bone
19. London's Brilliant Parade
20. Tramp The Dirt Down
Encore 1
21. Dr. Watson, I Presume
22. Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
23. Watching The Detectives / Help Me
24. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea- spin 7
King's Ransom Jackpot- spin 8
25. Brilliant Mistake
The Hammer of Songs
26. I Want You- spinner's request
Encore 2
Joanna Jackpot - spin 9 (Elvis's spin)
27. I Still Have That Other Girl (EC and SN only)
28. Shipbuilding - spinner's request
29. Oliver's Army
30. Pump It Up
31. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? including Singin' In The Rain instrumental snippet

Some curiosities tonight. A better show than Birmingham (Sulky Lad and I agreed). The initial spins brought more jackpots, which allowed Elvis to pace the show better. After spin 6 (Cash) he told the Johnny Cash in Shepherd's Bush anecdote, which you will all be familiar with, then went into a Country section of the show and took control of the running order himself. This led to some rather odd choices. Why he chose to play London's Brilliant Parade to a Welsh audience was not clear. He introduced a couple of songs with words to the effect of "We're now going to play a song we've not played in a long time". There was a distinct look of fear in Steve's eyes at a couple of moments. He must have nightmares in which Elvis says those words and then launches into a song that he (Steve) cannot begin or follow. This nearly seemed to happen with London's Brilliant Parade. Drum & Bone was another odd choice.

Then came Tramp The Dirt Down, apropos of nothing. This was played at the same point in the show as last night, but tonight Elvis chose to play it without any prompting from the audience (although it was well received). He made a speech about not saying anything at the time of Thatcher's death, and that this song was now not so much about wishing a person dead, as about wishing to see their ideas die. On that basis (he argued) as long as Thatcherite ideas held sway in Government, he would continue to play this song (and did). This was a step forward from yesterday when he seemed very ambivalent about the song. On this basis, you can expect to hear it again on this tour (requested or not).

Following the "Girl" jackpot, Elvis played Girls Talk, described as a hit for the "King of Monmouth". Dave Edmunds is from round that way so this was fitting. How this led to "Heart Of The City" is less clear, although there is a Dave Edmunds: Nick Lowe connection. Secondary Modern has a chorus with the word "girls" in it, so there we were back on track.

As in Birmingham, Elvis went "walkabout" in the audience with a microphone to sing "Help Me", and pick out some more wheel spinners for himself.

At the start of the second encore, Elvis and Steve only reappeared and Elvis turned the wheel to the "Joanna" banner, explained that this was cockney rhyming slang for Piano (always good to explain Cockney to a Welsh audience) then invited Steve to play. Steve is not very prominent in this show, often obscured by the society lounge, wheel spinners, a portable TV and the go-go cage, so this felt like recompense for that.

A better show than Birmingham. Elvis stretched his voice a little more (with some off-mic singing) and talked a little more too. Tramp The Dirt Down was sung more like he meant it. He seemed a little distracted after "Jimmie" but had clearly taken the setlist into his own hands for that portion of the show.

It also seems that there will be variation in the wheel (see the Wiki in due course for full details) with around 8 changes from the previous night, and that Elvis will also play different songs not on the wheel, if he feels like it. Quite how many songs the band know, only time will tell. Tonight saw The Imposters first ever performance of "London's Brilliant Parade" so let us hope there are more such to come.

I may be wrong here, but at several points I had the impression that Elvis was using an autocue to help him with lyrics. On stage there is an odd plastic moulded lectern which seems to be a mount for a laptop. My assumption is that some off-stage assistant can call up lyrics to songs that are spun as and when. Elvis did not refer to it for every song, but on some of the more obscure ones (like Dr Watson) he did appear to be reading from it. See what you think when you see him next.

Finally, before the doors were opened, whilst Sulky Lad and I were waiting in the bar, Pete Thomas appeared and told us that he was looking for his cousin. We wished him luck and Pete moved on through the throng. Next thing we see, Pete is standing chatting to the equally tall Neil. The thought flashed through my mind that Neil might be Pete's cousin, and had somehow failed to mention this very relevant fact. Neil later assured us that this was not the case, but we never did see Pete with his real cousin.

MOOT

PS Also first sighting tonight of Paddy lurking stage side.
Last edited by Man out of Time on Sun Jun 02, 2013 10:07 am, edited 1 time in total.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

thanks MOOT...so very pleased to read your recap of the night. glad to see nice selections already like SONG WITH ROSE, LONDON'S BRILLIANT PARADE, HOME IS ANYWHERE and DRUM & BONE as four semi-oddball surprises already. hope ROSE stays around. GREAT song! but, the BEST 5 letters of your post:

P-A-D-D-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

bronxapostle wrote:glad to see nice selections already like SONG WITH ROSE, LONDON'S BRILLIANT PARADE, HOME IS ANYWHERE and DRUM & BONE as four semi-oddball surprises already.
Only the ninth known performance of "Drum & Bone."

And the 14th for "Song With Rose."
Man out of Time

Azmuda wrote:Only the ninth known performance of "Drum & Bone."

And the 14th for "Song With Rose."
The first time either song has been played live in Europe, and I have to thank Sulky Lad for spotting that it was Drum & Bone.

Curious fact about Drum & Bone. Elvis was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Liverpool in 2008. From 2002 until 2008, the Vice Chancellor (Chief Officer) of the University of Liverpool was Professor Sir J Drummond Bone, who was awarded an honorary degree by the University at the same ceremony as Elvis.

MOOT (former employee of the University of Liverpool)
Man out of Time

Dixie in costume for the Cardiff show.

http://instagram.com/p/aBvBB1SINY/
Cardiff Costume
Cardiff Costume
Cardiff.jpg (73.82 KiB) Viewed 23722 times
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Man out of Time wrote:Curious fact about Drum & Bone. Elvis was awarded an honorary degree by the University of Liverpool in 2008. From 2002 until 2008, the Vice Chancellor (Chief Officer) of the University of Liverpool was Professor Sir J Drummond Bone, who was awarded an honorary degree by the University at the same ceremony as Elvis.

MOOT (former employee of the University of Liverpool)
That, my friend, is an amazing bit of history.
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

bronxapostle wrote:thanks MOOT...so very pleased to read your recap of the night. glad to see nice selections already like SONG WITH ROSE, LONDON'S BRILLIANT PARADE, HOME IS ANYWHERE and DRUM & BONE as four semi-oddball surprises already. hope ROSE stays around. GREAT song! but, the BEST 5 letters of your post:

P-A-D-D-Y!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You can see Paddy in the background of Dixie's instagram pic!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

On the first audience photo from twitter, the two tall gentlemen with white shirts looking slightly towards each other are Neil (on the left) and his twin brother Chris. I was right about Chris being Neil's good looking brother but Neil looked 5 years younger, obviously due to being semi preserved by pickling in alcohol !!
It was great to see him, he pumped us about the Birmingham show and then didn't want any details so the opportunity to pretend we'd heard songs like Dr. Luther's Assistant wasn't resisted ! Also met with Peter Horstead and Anna who'll meet us all at RAH and Gateshead.
MOOT has summed the show up perfectly, nothing to add except the fact that. like Liverpool followed by Birmingham last year, the setlist was dramatically different and the choices seemed to flow much better than at Birmingham and the sound seemed exceptionally good. It wasn't quite sold out, I was dead centre, row D ( you can see my left shoulder by the side of the receding man's head in the aforementioned photo) and had an empty seat beside me and MOOT secured a row H seat at 5 pm for his son Michael, making his second EC show after Bristol and the Brodskys - some contrast ! A lot of much younger people got to spin the wheel including a young couple where the young man was obviously a bit embarrassed as Elvis did the little dialogue about the proposal that occurred in Boston.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

MOOT has a song missing from the setlist - When can any of us have said that before?
Hi Fidelity was again the second song.
Agree 100% with the analysis though.
Better acoustics
Better atmosphere
Better song flow & choices
than Birmingham.
For a Welsh show I thought it very much showed off Elvis' English pop
sensibility with Girls Talk, Everyday I Write the Book, London's BrillIant
Parade, Secondary Modern, Watch Your Step - Cash interlude aside.
Elvis can still surprise - the 2 Momofuku rarities.
Explaining Tramp also made more sense- though I'd rather hear Pills &
Soap.
Bristol will have a hard job matching this.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Excellent reviews - thanks.

I saw Paddy at the side of the stage on Friday in Birmingham.

As with last year the second night varied considerably.

There are plenty of songs I'd rather have seen from the Cardiff show. Hopefully I'll get to see them later on the tour.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Dixie posts this sans caption today. I think it is Cardiff, but could be Bristol.

http://instagram.com/p/aCgDNPSIFJ/
Wheel on stage in Cardiff (or Bristol?)
Wheel on stage in Cardiff (or Bristol?)
Cardiff stage.jpg (16.76 KiB) Viewed 23544 times
MOOT
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Man out of Time wrote:Dixie posts this sans caption today. I think it is Cardiff, but could be Bristol.

http://instagram.com/p/aCgDNPSIFJ/
Cardiff stage.jpg
MOOT
Its St David's Hall, Cardiff
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

<oops - wrong thread>
Last edited by Azmuda on Sun Jun 02, 2013 5:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://twitter.com/lukeitn/status/340971367656742912
Luke Collinson wrote:Elvis Costello & The Imposters live in Cardiff...what a show...just got better and better...

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

For posterity's sake, here's the official site's version of the setlist.

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/the-s ... esults/151

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Cardiff, Wales
June 1st, 2013

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Uncomplicated
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook - with The Mysterious Josephine - Your Guide From Your Place In The Stalls To Your Place In The Stars

"Joker" - Spin 1

Alison

So Like Candy - Spin 2

Everyday I Write The Book - Spin 3

"Girl" Jackpot - Spin 4

Girls Talk

Heart Of The City - IMPROMPTU

Secondary Modern/Watch Your Step - Spin 5

"Cash" - Cry Cry Cry - Spin 6

Napoleon's Choice

Song With Rose
Good Year For The Roses
A Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmie Standing In The Rain
Drum & Bone
London's Brilliant Parade
Tramp The Dirt Down

Interlude

Dr. Watson, I Presume
Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head
Watching The Detectives/Help Me

Chelsea - Spin 7

"King's Ransom" Jackpot - Spin 8

Brilliant Mistake

The Hammer Of Songs

I Want You

"Joanna" Jackpot - Spin 9

I Still Have That Other Girl

Finale

Shipbuilding
Oliver's Army
Pump It Up
Peace, Love and Understanding
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Ain't got a lot to add to Sulky and MOOT's posts - I even concur with my youthful appearance (Irony!!!!) being due to being pickled in alcohol!

I would add that Elvis did seem to be a little bit disengaged at the gig - he wasn't half as 'into' it as last year's shows. Perhaps his mind is on the Roots stuff?

But there were some highlights - a near flawless 'I Still Have That Other Girl', with stunning flourishes from Steve.
Amazed that Elvis can still hit those notes - though he was definitely saving his voice in some of the songs, presumably for the big London gigs. That's a little annoying for those in Cardiff, Birmingham etc.

I would add that he should be very aware that if he's that disengaged for the Glastonbury gig, it will be seen in big closeups on television. Elvis, make sure you engage more at Glasto! Look at the audience a lot - smile etc!

Really enjoyed the embellished 'Jimmie' and 'Josephine', with deft, understated backing from the Imposters, unlike the solo versions of last year. And I'm always moved by PLU. Shipbuilding was also really good.