New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Pretty self-explanatory
FAVEHOUR

Re: New album for 2013: "Wise Up Ghost" (with The Roots!)

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Today must be the announcement, given the tweets about Tell Me Right Now
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

https://twitter.com/jennlee
Spending the morning with Elvis Costello and Questlove. No seriously. #TheBoxNYC
Questlove and Elvis Costello ‪#theboxnyc‬ ‪#behindthescenes‬ ‪http://instagram.com/p/ZnuN9tq6P3/‬

sinatra57

Post by sinatra57 »

Received the lastest issue of Mojo in the mail this morning which has a two page piece on "Wise Up Ghost", it has to be said that virtually nothing is revealed. Costello and Questlove won't say what the album sounds like, Questlove didn't want it to be seen as "Elvis's hip hop record" and Costello "didn't want to drag Quest down to new wave hell". That's all.
edney

Post by edney »

The Mojo text in full.

“This is more talking than we’ve ever done about the record” says Elvis Costello in his first interview about “Wise Up Ghost”, his new album with Philadelphia hip hop group The Roots. “We never said but three words about it before we started playing” they may have started out in different genres but Costello and Roots ringleader Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson are two of the most encyclopaedically knowledgeable music fans in the world, so it’s not surprising that they would find common cause. They met on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, where The Roots are the house band. Since it’s first episode in 2009, the talk show has become the most exciting musical experience on US television, transforming the fortunes of The Roots, who are set to join Fallon when he takes over the prestigious Tonight Show from Jay Leno next year. It’s fun for the guest stars too. Costello enjoyed playing with The Roots the first time so much that he keeps coming back. “It’s a good playground for someone like me” he says. “You don’t know what’s going to happen when you go round there”. Questlove says that he had his eye on Costello from the start. “This was number one on our bucket list” he says. “When we interviewing for the job (producer) Lorne Michaels and Jimmy were like “You can have moments when you collaborate with other artists”. Instantly the light bulb went on: Elvis! He’s probably like, “Yeah right!” But this was our prime collaborative fantasy. It took us three times to come out and say it”. They began recording “Wise Up Ghost” last summer in New York, in between The Roots’ commitments to Late Night and neo-soul star D’Angelo’s long-gestating comeback album, and are currently arranging some live shows. “the other day we looked at each other and said “This has been our secret but now we’ve got to tell people” says Costello. “I just hope all the fun hasn’t already happened” “No”, Questlove assures him. “On-stage is when it’ll really happen” But what does it actually sound like? They can’t – or won’t – say, but they will make clear what it’s not. Questlove didn’t want it to be seen as “Elvis’s hip-hop record” and Costello “didn’t want to drag Quest down to new wave hell” Finally, Questlove settles on a description: “It’s the sound of an honest summit meeting. Elvis is on the right side and I’m on the left side and (Roots engineer) Steve Mandel, our secret weapon, perfectly navigates the middle”. While the loquacious Questlove inadvertently spilled the beans about the album’s existence in January, Costello seems to be revelling in holding back as much as possible. “As we were walking off the set the last time I was on the show” Quest said one codephrase to me that unlocked the whole thing” he reveals. “But I’m never going to say what it is”. Oh, go on. “No” he says teasingly. “It’s going to be like the end of Lost In Translation when he whispers in her ear….” MOJO Magazine
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

...and are currently arranging some live shows...

“On-stage is when it’ll really happen”

Yeah!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i knew you would like THIS portion doc!! we should have a good show or three soon. just do me a favor...if they go on sale before my first summer school (OVERTIME!) paycheck in mid July...THINK OF ME!!!!!!! :lol: :lol: let's talk soon best, ba
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

docinwestchester wrote:...and are currently arranging some live shows...

“On-stage is when it’ll really happen”

Yeah!
I'll ask Elvis if he and The Roots are free to play at my 50th birthday party in September. He and The Imposters can support and Elvis can open with a solo set.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
krm

Post by krm »

Questlove interview about new Album and other stuff. Releasedate 1st tuesday in September!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JmOCkq8zbQ
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

...and orchestrations from the orchestra that worked with Prince!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://instagram.com/p/ZnsQXFQayI/

questlove

@imposterspeaks on the left @danny_clinch on the right. Shooting pics for #WiseUpGhost
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Neil. wrote:...and orchestrations from the orchestra that worked with Prince!
Questlove talks about the orchestrations of (Clare and) Brent Fisher for the new album:
http://www.clarefischer.com/
http://www.redbullmusicacademy.com/lect ... the-family
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Clare_Fischer

"Beginning in the early 1970s, Fischer embarked on a parallel career (and by far the more lucrative one), eventually becoming a much sought after arranger, providing orchestral 'sweeteners' for pop and R&B artists such as Rufus (with Chaka Kahn), Prince (a regular client from 1985 on, and by far Fischer's most frequent employer in this vein), Robert Palmer, Paul McCartney, Michael Jackson, Celine Dion, and many others."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Update on "What we know so far of the new album":

Title: Wise Up Ghost
What: collaborative album with The Roots ("And now we have the tightest 12-14 song collection out of about 20 songs that we made", according to Questlove)
Releasedate: September 3, 2013 (but according to some reports, a small number of test pressings were distributed as white labels on Record Store Day on the 20th of April).
Producers: Steve Mandel, EC and Questlove
Orchestrations by Brent Fischer
Guest vocal: La Marisoul, lead singer of the Los Angeles group, La Santa Cecilia on “Cinco Minutos Con Vos”.
Photography by Danny Clinch ( http://www.dannyclinch.com/ )
Recordlabel: Blue Note Records
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
And No Coffee Table

sweetest punch wrote:Update on "What we know so far of the new album":
We don't know if either track made the final album, but it appears they recorded a "Wise Up Ghost" title song and a remake of "Pills and Soap."
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I've never known a September to have felt SO FAR AWAY!!!!

Panting now, tongue hanging out!

Shit.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Neil. wrote:IPanting now, tongue hanging out!
Thanks for sharing that! :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

Charming image, huh, Verbs? Slurp!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

That uninformative Mojo feature looks like this -

The text ( as posted earlier in this thread)

“This is more talking than we’ve ever done about the record” says Elvis Costello in his first interview about “Wise Up Ghost”, his new album with Philadelphia hip hop group The Roots. “We never said but three words about it before we started playing” they may have started out in different genres but Costello and Roots ringleader Ahmir “Questlove” Thompson are two of the most encyclopaedically knowledgeable music fans in the world, so it’s not surprising that they would find common cause.

They met on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon, where The Roots are the house band. Since it’s first episode in 2009, the talk show has become the most exciting musical experience on US television, transforming the fortunes of The Roots, who are set to join Fallon when he takes over the prestigious Tonight Show from Jay Leno next year. It’s fun for the guest stars too. Costello enjoyed playing with The Roots the first time so much that he keeps coming back. “It’s a good playground for someone like me” he says. “You don’t know what’s going to happen when you go round there”. Questlove says that he had his eye on Costello from the start. “This was number one on our bucket list” he says. “When we interviewing for the job (producer) Lorne Michaels and Jimmy were like “You can have moments when you collaborate with other artists”.

Instantly the light bulb went on: Elvis! He’s probably like, “Yeah right!” But this was our prime collaborative fantasy. It took us three times to come out and say it”. They began recording “Wise Up Ghost” last summer in New York, in between The Roots’ commitments to Late Night and neo-soul star D’Angelo’s long-gestating comeback album, and are currently arranging some live shows. “the other day we looked at each other and said “This has been our secret but now we’ve got to tell people” says Costello. “I just hope all the fun hasn’t already happened” “No”, Questlove assures him. “On-stage is when it’ll really happen” But what does it actually sound like? They can’t – or won’t – say, but they will make clear what it’s not.

Questlove didn’t want it to be seen as “Elvis’s hip-hop record” and Costello “didn’t want to drag Quest down to new wave hell” Finally, Questlove settles on a description: “It’s the sound of an honest summit meeting. Elvis is on the right side and I’m on the left side and (Roots engineer) Steve Mandel, our secret weapon, perfectly navigates the middle”. While the loquacious Questlove inadvertently spilled the beans about the album’s existence in January, Costello seems to be revelling in holding back as much as possible.

“As we were walking off the set the last time I was on the show” Quest said one codephrase to me that unlocked the whole thing” he reveals. “But I’m never going to say what it is”. Oh, go on. “No” he says teasingly. “It’s going to be like the end of Lost In Translation when he whispers in her ear….”
And No Coffee Table

The official announcement...

Elvis Costello & The Roots 'Wise Up Ghost' September 17th Release on Blue Note Records

May 29th, 2013 - New York, NY - Elvis Costello and The Roots have announced today that a collaborative album entitled Wise Up Ghost will be exclusively released by Blue Note Records on Monday 16th September 2013 in the UK and Tuesday September 17th 2013 in the USA.

The existence of the record was first revealed by ?uestlove as an aside during an interview with Billboard Magazine in January. A small number of test pressings were distributed as white labels on Record Store Day on the 20th of April but the full release will follow later in the year.

Most of the sessions took place in secret at Feliz Habitat Studios in the dead of night, while others were in plain sight at Costello’s Hookery Crookery Studios. Elvis described the record as “the shortest distance between here and there” and containing “both rhythm and what is read”. Ahmir says, “It's a moody, brooding affair, cathartic rhythms and dissonant lullabies. I went stark and dark on the music, Elvis went HAM on some ole Ezra Pound shit.”

The solitary star announcing vacancy burnt out as we arrived

They'd throw us back across the border if they knew that we survived

It promises to be one of the most unexpected and surprising releases of 2013.

In addition to the fabulous Roots crew and friends, the record features a guest vocal appearance on “Cinco Minutos Con Vos” from La Marisoul, lead singer of the Los Angeles group, La Santa Cecilia.

The album was produced by longtime Roots associate, Steven Mandel together with Elvis Costello, and Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson.

About Elvis Costello:
Elvis Costello began working as a professional musician 35 years ago, shortly after the release of his first album, “My Aim Is True”. He has made more than 27 studio records, three live albums and numerous guest appearances on stage, studio and screen as well as working as a record producer, bit-part actor and composing music for television drama and dance performance. He has toured the world with The Attractions, The Imposters and the pianist, Steve Nieve, performing with symphony and jazz orchestras as well as in solo performance. His catalogue of songs includes collaborations with Paul McCartney, Allen Toussaint and Burt Bacharach with whom he won a Grammy for “I Still Have That Other Girl” from their 1998 collaboration, Painted From Memory. Costello’s songs have been recorded by George Jones, Chet Baker, Johnny Cash, Roy Orbison, Dusty Springfield and Robert Wyatt. Elvis Costello and The Attractions were inducted into the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame in 2003. In the same year he was awarded ASCAP’s prestigious Founder’s Award. His last record was 2010s National Ransom, produced by T-Bone Burnett. Between 2008 and 2010, Costello was the host of twenty episodes of the interview and music show, “Spectacle” on the Sundance Channel.

About Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson:
Drummer, DJ, producer, culinary entrepreneur, author and member of The Roots - Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson, is the unmistakable heartbeat of Philadelphia’s most influential hip-hop group. He is also the Musical Director for Late Night with Jimmy Fallon where his beloved Roots crew serves as the house band. The musician’s indisputable reputation has also landed him musical directing positions with everyone from D'Angelo to Eminem to Jay-Z. In addition, the artist will release his first memoir, Mo’ Meta Blues: The World According to ?uestlove, on June 18th.

About The Roots:
Formed in 1987, in Philadelphia, PA, the legendary Roots Crew, consists of Black Thought (MC), Ahmir “?uestlove” Thompson (drums), Kamal Gray (electronic keyboards), F. Knuckles (percussion), Captain Kirk Douglas (electronic guitar), Damon Bryson (sousaphone) and James Poyser (electronic keyboard). Having previously released twelve projects, The Roots have become one of the best known and most respected hip-hop acts in the business, winning four Grammys, including “Best R&B Album” for Wake Up!, “Best Traditional R&B Vocal Performance” for “Hang in There” (with John Legend) and “Best Group or Duo R&B Vocal Performance” for “Shine.” The ensemble was most recently nominated for “Best Rap Album” for the 2011 release of undun. This brings the band’s GRAMMY nomination count to twelve. Additionally, The Roots have also become the faces of Philly’s “Fourth of July Jam,” an annual concert held during the Fourth of July with the biggest names in music, and “The Roots Picnic,” a yearly star-studded mix of musicians, that has become a celebrated institution during awards season. Recently The Roots were named one of the greatest live bands around by Rolling Stone, became the official house band on Late Night with Jimmy Fallon where they currently perform every Monday- Friday.
And No Coffee Table

The only significant changes from the earlier leaked announcement are the addition of the release dates, the quote from Questlove, and the two lines from "Bedlam". (Have they re-recorded "Bedlam"?)
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

They forgot the part about a tour to follow the release...
And No Coffee Table

Amazon has a "deluxe" CD (but no standard edition I can find) and a vinyl release.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Time to clarify some of the jolly japes ( ie. fabrications/lies) that litter this announcement. Most media outlets will let whatever unpaid intern isn't making coffee merely recycle this handout - we require better.

For a start -
Costello’s Hookery Crookery Studios is , as indicated by links at the start of this thread , is this -

http://www.crew-studios.com/studio/

Crew Studios
181 East 1st Street, North Vancouver, BC
phone | (604) 987-7383
email | info@crew-studios.com

More when it's figured out !

Spin magazine has made an effort to be check things out, relying on the best of sources!

http://www.spin.com/articles/elvis-cost ... ber-album/

(extract)

From there, we're left with frustrating hints. The announcement says that "a small number of test pressings were distributed as white labels" on April 20 for Record Store Day. Which, if true, would be Big News: Unreleased Elvis Costello and the Roots recordings are floating around out there somewhere, unlabeled, on vinyl! Good god, did you see how much money that mysterious Boards of Canada record went for? But there's so sign of those records on eBay, and reps for the artists didn't respond to multiple requests for comment. The Elvis Costello Fan Forum, so far the best compendium of information on the release, has yet to include posts from anyone who scored one of those RSD test pressings.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis went HAM on some ole Ezra Pound shit.

This may be a bit of a stretch -

http://poetry.about.com/od/poemsbytitle ... tmusic.htm

Ancient Music

by Ezra Pound (1912)

Winter is icumen in,
Lhude sing Goddamm,
Raineth drop and staineth slop,
And how the wind doth ramm!
Sing: Goddamm.
Skiddeth bus and sloppeth us,
An ague hath my ham
Damm you; Sing: Goddamm.
Goddamm, Goddamm, ’tis why I am, Goddamm,
So ’gainst the winter’s balm.
Sing goddamm, damm, sing goddamm,
Sing goddamm, sing goddamm, DAMM.

(This is Pound’s parody of the medieval lyric “Sumer Is Icumen In”)

http://poetry.about.com/library/weekly/blanonsummer.htm
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

John, you might want to prowl around his Ripostes, in particular poems like "The Seafarer" or perhaps Canto 1, if you are determined to crack the code.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'