Elvis Costello Countdown

Pretty self-explanatory
Top balcony

Re: Elvis Costello Countdown

Post by Top balcony »

CK

The whole thing has really been beyond belief. :D :D :D Whilst you may have picked his "best" song I'm not sure it would be the one I would pick for my Desert Island Discs, but since I'm never going to be asked...

Gratified to see Radio Radio so high, full on, fantastic.

As to omissions, I'd make a case out for 45. You could have put this in at number 45, but it would be in my top ten and possibly my top one - every scratch, every click, every heartbeat - the single even had a wonderful sleeve.

Thanks again

Colin Top Balcony
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Can’t argue with no. 1 choice. Brilliant song.
Thanks again for the countdown and everything that has come with it – fun, excitement and controversy. :wink:

Still hugely miss some of my favourite songs like Sleep Of The Just, I’ll Wear It Proudly, I Want You, My Dark Life, Still or London’s Brilliant Parade.
Would love to hear your opinion on some of these.

And make sure to give us a shout when you start the countdown for another artist.
If you don't know what is wrong with me
Then you don't know what you've missed
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

Jack of All Parades wrote:Most anticlimatic in the choice for #1. Again a good song but not one for me in a top 10 or even 25. I fully understand the subjectivity of such lists and will leave it at that. Like BWAP have many quibbles with at least one third of your choices but will not force my subjective opinions further on the list other than to note that I find any compilation of a top 100 for this artist quite suspect if it leaves off at least four selections from perhaps his best effort of the last decade- "National Ransom"- and only nominates one tune from the record- the mediocre title song- which is then placed perhaps too low in that list. Subjective to say the least. I applaud your efforts. You clearly enjoy this songwriter and perfomer. I will just not be borrowing your I pod to program mine.

Congratulations to Otis- you almost nailed it to the exact order! :shock:
Actually, there were two from National Ransom (the title track and "All These Strangers".) "Church Underground" was very close; "Jimmie Standing In The Rain" and "That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving" were near-misses, and "A Slow Drag With Josephine," "Bullets For The New Born King," and "Dr.Watson, I Presume" received consideration. I like other songs on the album as well, and, while I probably have Momofuku a shade better (probably because there are fewer songs and therefore has a higher hit-to-miss ratio), I agree NR is an excellent late-period album. Putting four more songs in the Top 100 really would have shaved some good stuff off though.

Plus, I still don't use an I-Pod, so you're in the clear there anyway.

Finally, it might be anti-climactic, but I believe it's the right choice. Like you said, though, that's the fun of this stuff; no two fans would ever agree, nor should they. Thanks for reading and for the kind words throughout.
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

Top balcony wrote:CK

The whole thing has really been beyond belief. :D :D :D Whilst you may have picked his "best" song I'm not sure it would be the one I would pick for my Desert Island Discs, but since I'm never going to be asked...

Gratified to see Radio Radio so high, full on, fantastic.

As to omissions, I'd make a case out for 45. You could have put this in at number 45, but it would be in my top ten and possibly my top one - every scratch, every click, every heartbeat - the single even had a wonderful sleeve.

Thanks again

Colin Top Balcony
Thank you, Colin, for the nice compliments, and know that "45" was close.
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

invisible Pole wrote:Can’t argue with no. 1 choice. Brilliant song.
Thanks again for the countdown and everything that has come with it – fun, excitement and controversy. :wink:

Still hugely miss some of my favourite songs like Sleep Of The Just, I’ll Wear It Proudly, I Want You, My Dark Life, Still or London’s Brilliant Parade.
Would love to hear your opinion on some of these.

And make sure to give us a shout when you start the countdown for another artist.
I like all of those songs a lot. I listened to the whole catalog when I rated the songs, but I made a point to go back and check out "Sleep Of The Just" and "I'll Wear It Proudly" based on so many adherents. I think they work better in their context than they do on their own. That's the odd thing about me doing these lists; I'm actually a big proponent of the album as an art form and hate the fact that people cherry-pick songs for their collections nowadays. In the case of those two songs, removing them would really weaken King Of America. On their own, I like the tender musicianship of them and I like the refrains of both a lot (especially "Sleep Of The Just," which was a close miss of the countdown.) I think the verses labor just a little bit and maybe that's what weighs them down a bit for me, yet they're perfectly in tune with the rest of the album.

I liken "Sleep Of The Just" to Dylan's "Buckets Of Rain." On its own, it's just this nice, little melancholy track. At the end of Blood On The Tracks, it's the perfect closer. So that's my justification, although I'm not sure if I've convinced myself.

Nonetheless, thanks for being such a loyal follower of the countdown, and I will let the board know when I'm ready to roll with some new countdown.
Jack of All Parades

Post by Jack of All Parades »

countdownkid wrote:
Jack of All Parades wrote:Most anticlimatic in the choice for #1. Again a good song but not one for me in a top 10 or even 25. I fully understand the subjectivity of such lists and will leave it at that. Like BWAP have many quibbles with at least one third of your choices but will not force my subjective opinions further on the list other than to note that I find any compilation of a top 100 for this artist quite suspect if it leaves off at least four selections from perhaps his best effort of the last decade- "National Ransom"- and only nominates one tune from the record- the mediocre title song- which is then placed perhaps too low in that list. Subjective to say the least. I applaud your efforts. You clearly enjoy this songwriter and perfomer. I will just not be borrowing your I pod to program mine.

Congratulations to Otis- you almost nailed it to the exact order! :shock:
Actually, there were two from National Ransom (the title track and "All These Strangers".) "Church Underground" was very close; "Jimmie Standing In The Rain" and "That's Not The Part Of Him You're Leaving" were near-misses, and "A Slow Drag With Josephine," "Bullets For The New Born King," and "Dr.Watson, I Presume" received consideration. I like other songs on the album as well, and, while I probably have Momofuku a shade better (probably because there are fewer songs and therefore has a higher hit-to-miss ratio), I agree NR is an excellent late-period album. Putting four more songs in the Top 100 really would have shaved some good stuff off though.

Plus, I still don't use an I-Pod, so you're in the clear there anyway.

Finally, it might be anti-climactic, but I believe it's the right choice. Like you said, though, that's the fun of this stuff; no two fans would ever agree, nor should they. Thanks for reading and for the kind words throughout.
Sorry I missed that second choice from "National Ransom". Not one of my favorites from the record so it slipped by me-hard to keep 100 songs in one's head while scrolling. Personally just wish 'Jimmie' had been substituted for the title song along with several others[Dr. Watson] as representative of the sheer quality of that album. Would have welcomed their pushing out a song like "Pump It Up" for instance from your final count. Far better choice I will always argue. If I only quibble on a third of your choices so much for subjectivity. To compile 100 out of his catalog will always leave room for quibling. What I really appreciated out of your effort was your calling out how honestly and punishingly he dissects human relationships. Few point out the lyricism and insight he often possesses in his best work. I applaud you for that- as your appreciations offer more than the customary 'it's a great tune with a great beat and one can dance to it' type of appreciations that are frequently offered about this artist. Best of luck should you compile another list.
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

countdownkid wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:I liken "Sleep Of The Just" to Dylan's "Buckets Of Rain." On its own, it's just this nice, little melancholy track. At the end of Blood On The Tracks, it's the perfect closer. So that's my justification, although I'm not sure if I've convinced myself.
I would liken Sleep of the Just to MOOT in terms of its lyrical depth and complexity, and also to Shipbuilding in its deft references to complex political situations rendered through the personal (as was described perfectly in the commentary on it). The family guilt of the brother and sister figures reflecting a wider guilt over political and social betrayal. It's a song whose lyrics you could write endlessly, with the shifting voice and ambiguities of voice and context, and yet it has a clear hard irony in its title line.

To cite a couple of commentators on it, starting with Greil Marcus:

http://books.google.co.uk/books?id=ySa5 ... st&f=false

If that link doesn't work, it's on Google Books, search for 'Greil Marcus Sleep of the Just'! I can't copy the text and it's too long to write out. But it's a superb quote about what makes the song stand out.

Or try this, uniting two of my passions and heroes in life, James Joyce and Elvis Costello. It's a bit over the top in the academic approach, but I think indicates the complexity and depths of the song's content:

http://www.estudiosirlandeses.org/issue ... kelly).pdf

At the same time, you don't need to study the song to 'get it', and therein lies the genius Marcus is pinning down. The theme and intent of the song come over in its execution perfectly. I don't use the word masterpiece lightly of it, but the above reflect the reasons it was no. 1 in my top 20. 'Nice, little melancholy' may reflect Buckets of Rain, but not SOTJ. Closer and further listening recommended, Countdown Kid. I'm confident you'll want to reconsider when you list this list in a few years and want to expand it to 200!
Last edited by Otis Westinghouse on Sat Mar 02, 2013 4:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
cwr

Post by cwr »

Congrats on a fun and interesting list, countdown kid!

You're probably exhausted from writing in such detail about all those songs but if you ever want to share your thoughts on "My Dark Life" and why it didn't make the top 100, it's my own personal favorite Costello song of all time, as rich a composition and as perfect a recording as any he's made. I'd love to know what you think of it!
Otis Westinghouse

It occurred to me that I could just do a straight copy of the text from my iPod playlist and paste into Excel, list as 1-100 and paste here. So here goes, with album shown. As commented previously, this is the Rhino release version of things, with all bonus discs indicated and such barbarisms occurring as WTD being considered part of MAIT and Radio, Radio off TYM, but this will do for now:

1 Man Out Of Time Imperial Bedroom
2 Shipbuilding Punch The Clock
3 Radio, Radio This Year's Model
4 American Without Tears King Of America
5 Veronica Spike
6 When I Was Cruel No.2 When I Was Cruel
7 Less Than Zero My Aim Is True
8 New Lace Sleeves Trust
9 Watching The Detectives My Aim Is True
10 The Scarlet Tide The Delivery Man
11 Clubland Trust
12 Oliver's Army Armed Forces
13 Brilliant Mistake King Of America
14 This Year's Girl This Year's Model
15 New Amsterdam Get Happy!!
16 So Like Candy Mighty Like A Rose
17 King Horse Get Happy!!
18 Shoes Without Heels King Of America [Disc 2]
19 Alison My Aim Is True
20 Pump It Up This Year's Model
21 Everyday I Write The Book Punch The Clock
22 The Comedians [Demo] All This Useless Beauty [Disc 2]
23 Painted From A Memory Painted From Memory
24 How To Be Dumb Mighty Like A Rose
25 Tramp The Dirt Down Spike
26 Riot Act Get Happy!!
27 Human Hands Imperial Bedroom
28 No Hiding Place Momofuku
29 The Other Side Of Summer Mighty Like A Rose
30 Stella Hurt Momofuku
31 Jack Of All Parades King Of America
32 I Hope You're Happy Now Blood & Chocolate
33 Accidents Will Happen Armed Forces
34 National Ransom National Ransom
35 Indoor Fireworks King Of America
36 Blue Chair Blood & Chocolate
37 All These Strangers National Ransom
38 That Day Is Done All This Useless Beauty [Disc 2]
39 Tiny Steps Armed Forces [Disc 2]
40 You Bowed Down All This Useless Beauty
41 Lipstick Vogue This Year's Model
42 All This Useless Beauty All This Useless Beauty
43 No Action This Year's Model
44 Fallen North
45 The Long Honeymoon Imperial Bedroom
46 Uncomplicated Blood & Chocolate
47 God's Comic Spike
48 Kinder Murder Brutal Youth
49 Mistress And Maid [Demo] All This Useless Beauty [Disc 2]
50 This House Is Empty Now Painted From Memory
51 Tears Before Bedtime Imperial Bedroom
52 God Give Me Strength Painted From Memory
53 No Dancing My Aim Is True
54 Town Cryer Imperial Bedroom
55 Sulky Girl Brutal Youth
56 Baby Plays Around Spike
57 Next Time Round Blood & Chocolate
58 Jackson, Monk, & Rowe The Juliet Letters
59 Harpies Bizarre Mighty Like A Rose
60 Shot With His Own Gun Trust
61 Watch Your Step Trust
62 Taking My Life In Your Hands The Juliet Letters
63 The Judgement The Delivery Man
64 All The Rage Brutal Youth
65 Beyond Belief Imperial Bedroom
66 The Days Take Care Of Everything [Demo] All This Useless Beauty [Disc 2]
67 The Birds Will Still Be Singing The Juliet Letters
68 Deep Dark Truthful Mirror Spike
69 Distorted Angel All This Useless Beauty
70 Couldn't Call It Unexpected No. 4 Mighty Like A Rose
71 The Only Flame In Town Goodbye Cruel World
72 This Town... Spike
73 (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea This Year's Model
74 Just A Memory Get Happy!! [Disc 2]
75 You Tripped At Every Step Brutal Youth
76 Almost Blue Imperial Bedroom
77 Imagination (Is A Powerful Deceiver) My Aim Is True [Disc 2]
78 My Three Sons Momofuku
79 (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes My Aim Is True
80 Monkey To Man The Delivery Man
81 Toledo Painted From Memory
82 Complicated Shadows All This Useless Beauty
83 Welcome To The Working Week My Aim Is True
84 Motel Matches Get Happy!!
85 Episode Of Blonde When I Was Cruel
86 American Gangster Time Momofuku
87 Still Too Soon To Know Brutal Youth
88 I Felt The Chill Before The Winter Came Secret, Profane & Sugarcane
89 Having It All [Solo Demo] King Of America [Disc 2]
90 Favourite Hour Brutal Youth
91 Love for Tender Get Happy!!
92 Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head Blood & Chocolate
93 Last Boat Leaving Spike
94 Stranger In The House My Aim Is True [Disc 2]
95 Two Little Hitlers Armed Forces
96 Pony St. Brutal Youth
97 Pills And Soap Punch The Clock
98 Tear Off Your Own Head (It's A Doll Revolution) When I Was Cruel
99 Lip Service This Year's Model
100 Pardon Me Madam, My Name Is Eve Momofuku
Otis Westinghouse

Final album count. Same considerations as before, e.g. Comedians = ATUB Bonus, not GCW:

=1. Brutal Youth: 7
=1. Imperial Bedroom: 7
=1. Spike: 7
=1. This Year's Model: 7
5. My Aim Is True: 6
=6. Blood and Chocolate: 5
=6. Get Happy!!: 5
=6. Mighty Like a Rose: 5
=6. Momofuku: 5
=10. All This Beauty: 4
=10. All This Beauty: Bonus 4
=10. King of America: 4
=10. Painted From Memory: 4
=10. Trust: 4
=15. Armed Forces: 3
=15. Punch The Clock: 3
=15. The Delivery Man: 3
=15. The Juliet Letters: 3
=15. When I Was Cruel: 3
=20. My Aim Is True Bonus: 2
=20. King of America Bonus: 2
=20. National Ransom: 2
=23. Armed Forces Bonus: 1
=23. Get Happy!! Bonus: 1
=23. Goodbye Cruel World: 1
=23. North: 1
=23. Secret Profane and Sugarcane: 1
Jack of All Parades

Thank you Otis for taking the time to compile an album by album total. It perhaps confirms for me a suspicion and a 'pet' theory about how listeners gravitate to a certain performer/artist. The larger number of indivdual selections from an album like "Spike" or "Brutal Youth" make me think these were the entrees for CK to EC- could be wrong but I suspect these were the records he wore out through constant play as he grew to love and appreciate EC. Just a thought. That and the sadly disproportionate love for "National Ransom". I still feel a number of the 'ubiquitous' song choices that made the 100 cut could easily have been dropped and substituted for with a few more from that excellent later career album. That a person who appreciates the special artistry of this songwriter, as demonstrated by this labor of love in compiling and thoughtfully writing about each of the 100 songs selected, could only muster two selections from that album baffles me. It is no wonder it fell still born on a listening public for the most part. I just do not buy CK's "Momofuko" hit to miss ratio argument. :wink:
"....there's a merry song that starts in 'I' and ends in 'You', as many famous pop songs do....'
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Waited for the end of the countdown to comment, but I have to say that I have really enjoyed reading through the list and the analysis. I won't quibble with the picks- lists of this type are completely subjective- but I will say a big thanks for giving me some fresh perspective and appreciation for a number of awesome songs. Sometimes I actually forget how special EC is; this list helps me to remember. Thanks CK!
John

Post by John »

Jack of All Parades wrote:It perhaps confirms for me a suspicion and a 'pet' theory about how listeners gravitate to a certain performer/artist. The larger number of indivdual selections from an album like "Spike" or "Brutal Youth" make me think these were the entrees for CK to EC
I think this is very true. My entry point was Get Happy and my top 100 would probably have more tracks from this album. The three songs in a row of King Horse/Possession/Men Called Uncle would be in there.
Otis Westinghouse

pophead2k wrote:Sometimes I actually forget how special EC is; this list helps me to remember. Thanks CK!
Absolutely. It's great to have these injections of insight and passionate discussion to get back in there, same way as a new album or tour can do. there just isn't the time to indulge all of one's passions properly. I have long periods with all, pretty well, of my favourites where I barely play a note, and then I'll get stuck right back in. CK has got me nicely fired up again on the Elvis front, but also plugging gaps in my collection for Bruce and Dylan. Writing about Sleep of the Just took me back to the reissue notes, the Complicated Shadows account of events, and this afternoon playing along to it on the drums with headphones on, an interesting way to appreciate songs differently. I thought Indoor Fireworks worked rather well with the addition of some restrained brushed drums. The raggedness of his voice on Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood makes a lot of sense after reading about it. The simplicity and class of the arrangements stands out. It must have been great to be a musician on those sessions.

I do think K of A is under-represented here. The notes on American Without Tears show a real appreciation for what Costello was doing on the album and how it marked a significant break with the past. Hard to justify more selections from Momofuku, even if My Three Sons is a personal fave.
Jack of All Parades

I readily concur with you- KOA is under represented on the final compilation along with "National Ransom". Where to begin............
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Has Elvis Costello site just started to present their own Countdown?

http://www.elviscostello.com/news/5050-vision/394

91. Basement Kiss

92. Sulky Girl

93. Home Is Anywhere You Hang Your Head

94. Hoover Factory

95. Clubland

96. Pills and Soap

97. Bullets For The New-Born King

98. No Star - "1975. Unrecorded"

99. No Wonder

100. Less Than Zero
countdownkid

Post by countdownkid »

For those who have been looking for a wrap-up to my Elvis Costello list, I have posted the entire list and a brief wrap-up on the site. It's in the link:

http://countdownkid.wordpress.com/

I also want to take the time to give a blanket thank you to all forum users who read my list. Without the support of you, the most devout Costello fans around, the list would have nothing. I'm eternally grateful, and I plan to keep an eye on the board in the future to weigh in on the topics of the day concerning E.C.

One note via the speculation about my fondness for Spike: I will admit that it's the first Costello album that I purchased. Whether that weighed into my selections is a matter for my subconscious to decide. I will say that it is one of my favorite Costello albums, mostly because it high quantity of great songs as opposed to the steady, start-to-finish brilliance of King Of America or Imperial Bedroom. It's more of a bumpy ride is my point, I suppose. Still, Imperial Bedroom is my favorite, and I didn't hear that until years after I knew Spike by heart.
invisible Pole

Post by invisible Pole »

Nice to see that some of my favourites at least came close to inclusion. :)

Thanks again for all your reviews. I am sure great fun was had by all.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I didn't really care about the individual song rankings, since those are so subjective. It was the analysis of each song that I looked so forward to reading. Thanks again.

Any Springsteen fans around here should check out CK's top 212 from Bruce. More great analysis!
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

invisible Pole wrote:Has Elvis Costello site just started to present their own Countdown?

91. Basement Kiss

92. Sulky Girl

94. Hoover Factory

95. Clubland

96. Pills and Soap

99. No Wonder

100. Less Than Zero
Or is this the Costello list living on in another form as stated in CK's blog?

We will all have our own Top 100 list but as the doc says, the songs have excellent analysis.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Otis Westinghouse

Not CK's list living on as it's completely different with Clubland shockingly low but at least Hoover Factory is in there, with a witty quote from it as a caption as if to say they know this is silly fun, but fun it is!

I suspect CK is referring to print or reproduction elsewhere.
Jack of All Parades

I am so happy my inner Freudian radar is still working. Subjectivity be damned-I knew it had to be "Spike". Our inner listening ears are so fine tuned to those first impressions. Those experiences are like an infant who is imprinted upon his parents by touch, sound, smell, etc. That I came to EC directly at the beginning may well go a long way towards explaining my not feeling so warmly towards "Spike" as I often find it wanting as an entire album. But then again it does not make me feel particularly paternal to MAIT, either. I cannot listen with regularity to the 'bumpy ride' of Spike but like CK I relish the 'steady, start-to-finish brilliance' of both KOA and IB.

CK, you have done what a real critic/listener should do as I use the good Doctor's criteria:

"It is ... the task of criticism to establish principles; to improve opinion into knowledge; and to distinguish those means of pleasing which depend upon known causes and rational deduction, from the nameless and inexplicable elegances which appeal wholly to the fancy, from which we feel delight, but know not how they produce it, and which may well be termed the enchantress of the soul. Criticism reduces those regions of literature under the dominion of science, which have hitherto known only the anarchy of ignorance, the caprices of fancy, and the tyranny of prescription."
Johnson: Rambler #92 (February 2, 1751)

That is why I say subjectivity be damned- I respectively think our posting Doctor is wrong- your 100 sets a bench mark for individual judgement. Individual likes and dislikes can be measured against it. Job well done. Congratulations as I anticipate your future news will be the announcement of a book deal. Best of luck with your publishing endeavors.
The imposter

Post by The imposter »

verbal gymnastics wrote:
invisible Pole wrote:Has Elvis Costello site just started to present their own Countdown?

91. Basement Kiss

92. Sulky Girl

94. Hoover Factory

95. Clubland

96. Pills and Soap

99. No Wonder

100. Less Than Zero
Or is this the Costello list living on in another form as stated in CK's blog?

We will all have our own Top 100 list but as the doc says, the songs have excellent analysis.
HA Ha He's such a tease, what with unheard of songs in there and some obvious classics so low down.. and you can bet the best 25 haven't been written yet :)
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Maybe the top 15 will be the tracklist of the new Roots/Costello album?
paysfortheprivilege

Post by paysfortheprivilege »

Two songs inexplicably garnering no support whatsoever 'the birds will still be singing' ross' fave + 'inother room' which has been intmated by the man himself...
Feck