Let's get Elvis to No. 1!

Pretty self-explanatory
Wolverinefan

Let's get Elvis to No. 1!

Post by Wolverinefan »

I was dismayed to learn that Oliver's Army never made it to number 1 here in the UK (I think it was kept off the top spot by a song from the film 'Grease'). This seems a complete travesty to me, but now we have the chance to put matters right. :)

To celebrate 60 years of singles charts in the UK, the BBC and Official Charts Co have combined to organise a nationwide vote, where people can vote for their favourite number 2 record of all time. There will be a top 40 countdown on BBC Radio 2 on New Year's Day and the winning record will be awarded an honorary number 1. Oliver's Army surely has to be a contender and it would be a great thing if we could mobilise our own EC army to get the job done! What say you?

Only problem is, I only just discovered this contest and the voting closes this Monday, 10 December! I realise it's very short notice, but if anybody wants to vote they just need to go to the BBC Radio 2 web page, register and vote. It only takes seconds and they don't ask for tons of details.

Wouldn't it be great to get this classic EC song to number 1, where it rightfully belongs? Come on, let's do it for our man! :D
Pigalle

Re: Let's get Elvis to No. 1!

Post by Pigalle »

Looking at that list I think it's going to be hard work for Elvis to pull this one off, I think he'll do well to make the Top 20. The one thing that he has going for him is that the heavyweights in the contest generally have more than one entry which will split their vote. I have to say, though, that I think it's a pretty shoddy list when you don't even include Bruce Springsteen's Streets Of Philadelphia on it.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Some very stiff competition, I could easily have gone for Common People or Ride a White Swan, but followed your instructions!

Link is this:

http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio2/vote/top-number-twos/

You need to register to vote, very quick and easy. I don't know if you have to be a UK or European resident to vote, but I'd hope not.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Not available outside the UK :(
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Wankers! People listen to them from all over. What's the point in that?
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
sheeptotheslaughter

Post by sheeptotheslaughter »

Wolverinefan wrote:I was dismayed to learn that Oliver's Army never made it to number 1 here in the UK (I think it was kept off the top spot by a song from the film 'Grease'). This seems a complete travesty to me, but now we have the chance to put matters right. :)

Wouldn't it be great to get this classic EC song to number 1, where it rightfully belongs? Come on, let's do it for our man! :D
It was kept off number one by I will survive Gloria Gaynor and then Tragedy The Bee Gees. It make number one in the NME chart the Daily Mirror used at the time.
sheeptotheslaughter

At least Elvis is on the list
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I voted!

I seem to remember that 'I Will Survive' was the song that kept Oliver from the top slot. At least it was a classic single - though I love the songs from Grease, too.
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Pigalle wrote:Looking at that list I think it's going to be hard work for Elvis to pull this one off, I think he'll do well to make the Top 20. The one thing that he has going for him is that the heavyweights in the contest generally have more than one entry which will split their vote.
Yes, good point about the split vote issue for the heavyweights in the contest. Here's hoping that will work in EC's favour. :D

Thanks for the info re the song that got to number one. Took a look online and found this link which shows all the number 1s for 1979... not totally sure which one kept OA off the top spot but anyway here's a link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/1979_in_British_music

Thanks for voting, fellow fans. It would be nice to see a good result but in any case EC will probably appreciate us having a go, whatever the result.

I was on another fan site where we rocketed our man to the top by a concerted effort, which involved voting round the clock to beat off the competition. On that occasion multiple votes were allowed so with a hard core fan base voting whenever they had the chance our man won the award. :) Pity the BBC didn't allow multiple voting this time. Still, we had a go.
sheeptotheslaughter

Well theres a thing I could have swore Gloria was number one before the Bee Gees. But I have just looked it up on the official chart archive. Elvis went to number two on the 10th March 1979. The Bee Gees were already number one from the week before. Gloria Gaynor was number three, Then the three singles flipped Elvis stayed at two and Gloria went to number one.

I have always hated that fucking single and will turn it off anytime I hear it. And though i love the Bee Gees I hate tragedy.

I think PLU might have made number one that year had Elvis been allowed to release it as a one off single.
John

Post by John »

Got to number 20. Not bad. Full list here

http://www.officialcharts.com/chart-new ... ngle-1782/
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Yes, quite a decent result, considering the stiff competition. There were some great songs in the top 10, though to my mind, quite a few between 20 and 10 that were nowhere near as good as Oliver's Army, IMO. But that's probably just me being a tad biased.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »