6:30 pm ET
New York

In Person

Elvis Costello

Stevie Van Zandt
Jonathan Clyde, Apple Films
Tony Gilroy, Director/Screenwriter
Moderator Bill Flanagan

This long-out-of-print film, which was not broadcast in the U.S. on its release in 1967, is unique in that it was conceived and directed by the Beatles. In fact, few people have ever seen it in its entirety. The Paley Center, in association with Apple Films, is pleased to host a special screening of the newly restored film, now with a remixed soundtrack. It was considered confusing and disjointed by many of the older generation of fans when it was originally seen on British television at Christmas in 1967, but, 45 years later, this experimental film with a loose narrative is now considered way ahead of its time. Magical Mystery Tour features classic songs "I Am The Walrus," "The Fool on the Hill," "Blue Jay Way," and "Your Mother Should Know," as well as the catchy title track. After the screening a panel of illustrious artists will discuss the enduring legacy of the film and its importance in the Beatles canon.

Funding for this event is provided by The Blanche and Irving Laurie Foundation.

Tickets on sale to Paley Center Members now!
General Public: Friday, October 12 at noon.

Members: $20
General Public: $30

The Paley Center for Media
25 West 52 Street
New York NY 10019

212.621.6800 for recorded information on scheduled activities;
212.621.6600 for all other information.
bronxapostle

Re: Elvis in Beatles 'Mystery Tour discussion, NY, Oct 24 '1

Post by bronxapostle »

i'll pay the $30 if he sings ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE in front of me...instead of on the big screen while i'm in Philly and he's in England! :lol: :lol: :lol:
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

bronxapostle wrote:i'll pay the $30 if he sings ALL YOU NEED IS LOVE in front of me...instead of on the big screen while i'm in Philly and he's in England! :lol: :lol: :lol:
You mean that old northern English folk song?
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

cool. i just picked up tickets to this. looks like it's going to be the closest i get to seeing EC live this year since i can't shell out the $250 for the children's gig coming up this tuesday, which i'm sure will be amazing. however, when i went to get tickets, i was only charge $15 as a non-member. bank error in my favor?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

looks like price stated above might be for pairs perhaps??? i work a couple blocks away. i might decide to go still monkey. what'dya think? he comes w/ guitar?
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

my fingers a definitely crossed!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i work two blocks away, so i stopped by there today. SOLD OUT! they tried to sell me CLOSED CIRCUIT VIEWING ROOM for $15. hope that is NOT what you got for your $15 each monkey....but i think it might be. go view the link now and see the option to buy for $15 and clearly see the closed circuit portion. gentleman employee said only 200 tickets sold very quickly! too bad. but, i'm sure you'll get to meet E afterwards.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

oh geez! i bet that's what i got. they didn't specify that there was a difference. very sneaky! i may make a stink, maybe they'll find me a seat. they should have noted that the REAL room was sold out. gah!
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

do that monkey...it pays to complain. tell them you'll STAND! let me know if you got an extra....maybe i'll meet ya! best, ba
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

hope you get lucky, have a great time, and get to see a song or two. keep us posted tonight please. thanks, b
Poor Deportee

Post by Poor Deportee »

Lost in all this is that the film is a bit of a disaster, of course :lol:
When man has destroyed what he thinks he owns
I hope no living thing cries over his bones
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

from a few tweets i see about the night, doesn't appear E & Steve played any music...just discussion. i could be wrong. we await monkey2man posts.
monkey2man

Post by monkey2man »

i actually ended up getting stuck at work and missing out on it, unfortunately... the working man's a sucker!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://931jackfm.cbslocal.com/2012/10/2 ... tour-film/

Elvis Costello, Steven Van Zandt Discuss The Beatles’ ‘Magical Mystery Tour’ Film

October 25, 2012 10:27 AM

- Jillian Mapes, CBS Local

The day after Christmas, 1967. The Beatles’ first film directed by themselves (rather than Richard Lester, who helmed Help! and Hard Day’s Night) premieres on the BBC, titled Magical Mystery Tour. These aren’t the same mop-topped boys, and the film’s psychedelic sensibilities reveal as much to the people of England. There’s outrage from the older generation, and there’s confusion from all – except maybe those who are experimenting with drugs.

The Beatles’ Magical Mystery Tour film has served a specific role in both the band’s history and pop culture overall. Yet compared to the band’s more “produced” films (the ones including an actual script and plotline), it’s greatly overlooked, due in part by the fact that it was never broadcast in the U.S. Now the film has been gorgeously restored in color (it originally aired in black and white) and the audio remastered by George Martin’s son, Giles, released on DVD/Blu-Ray and massive box set earlier this month. Screenings of the new Magical Mystery Tour have been taking place at a handful of theaters across the country, and last night, New York was treated to an extra special screening at the Paley Center for the Media. Following the film was a panel discussion, which included Elvis Costello, Steven Van Zandt, screenwriter/director Tony Gilroy (of Bourne Identity fame), Apple Film’s Jonathan Clyde (who oversaw the restoration), and MTV’s Bill Flanagan as moderator.

Each panelist brought a distinct point of view to the subject of the film’s legacy. Costello was the Beatles scholar, as well as one of the few in the room who’d seen its original 1967 broadcast. Gilroy was a bit of a fanboy, noting that the Beatles are synonymous with his proverbial “happy place.” Van Zandt was, at times, the quiet appreciator, and at other times, the dose of “real talk” regarding the film’s non-plot. And Clyde was the man with the behind-the-scenes scoop.

The panel started with the film’s influence and influences. As Gilroy noted, the Beatles “made a film like they made music” and “obviously watched a lot of Fellini films.” He threw out names like Monty Python, Easy Rider and The Monkees show, with the absurdist adventure film serving as a predecessor in some way for each. “It was a whole toolbox of what would happen in film right after,” he noted.

Costello, however, noted the shock he felt upon first seeing the original broadcast, and just how revolutionary the film was for “light entertainment” intended for the whole family in the year 1967. Clyde echoed this, discussing just how subversive it was to the people of England. He later mentioned that the BBC has made new documentary about England 1967 to now and the film’s influence, which is set to air stateside on PBS on December 14.

Clyde also revealed bits of trivia regarding Magical Mystery Tour, such as how long the film’s restoration took (one year) and the high cost to license the film’s non-Beatles songs (such as standards like “Lovely Bunch of Coconuts”). Additionally, the BBC had apparently purchased the film without seeing it first, following a phone call from Paul McCartney. While the network allowed the film’s closing scene with a stripper, it was “deemed improper by the BBC that a fat woman would have a love affair” so they cut the romantic scenes between Ringo’s Auntie Jessie and Buster Bloodvessel. He reminded us that “fifth Beatle” George Martin had been a comedy producer before working with the Beatles, which he claimed made a lot of sense.

The hour-long film represented, in a way, the Beatles’ full transition from the Fab Four to the creatively experimental group of their latter years. Essentially, it showed the oddity of the Beatles, for those who had overlooked that fact. Gilroy wondered if the film would have ruined them in the U.S. if broadcast stateside, given the polarizing nature of the hippie movement here. And yet, Magical Mystery Tour was this inclusive thing, full of colorful characters of all ages and walks of life – very unlike the hippie movement emerging in the U.S. at the time. As Costello noted, mystery tours were a real thing in north England (“the destination was always Blackpool,” he said with a groan).

Van Zandt was more critical overall, though quite complimentary of the song “I Am The Walrus” (“I’d argue it’s the pinnacle of the incredible evolution taking place before our eyes”). His closing comments weren’t as fawning: “I wish they had taken a few weeks to make it. What would have happened? What would have happened if [their manager] Brian Epstein hadn’t had died days before they filmed? A little bit of writing, a little bit of thought – it would have been spectacular. It’s an interesting curiosity with a masterpiece in it ["Walrus"]. It’s fine for us freaks.”

Gilroy, who praised the Beatles’ acting abilities (particularly George), said that he “wouldn’t change a thing” and that he’s “happy it’s a mess.” In fact, he called it his Quran. Costello split the difference between the two, noting that the film “showed so much” and that the Beatles “winged it because they could.” Ultimately, he noted that it’s not even as good as the Monkees’ trippy feature film, 1968′s Head, but that we “wouldn’t be sitting here talking about it if songs didn’t have strong emotion.”
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.examiner.com/article/forthco ... -to-behold

Forthcoming Beatles vinyl box set is astonishing to behold
November 7, 2012
By: Jeff Slate

(extract)

A few weeks ago I spoke with some of the brass from The Beatles' Apple Corps. and EMI Records at the New York City screening of "Magical Mystery Tour". Surprisingly, they turned the cocktail chit-chat to talk about the upcoming vinyl box set by the band. They all wanted to know why the online chatter amongst Beatles fans was so negative when no one had actually heard the set. Elvis Costello, who was part of the panel who spoke about the impact of "Magical Mystery Tour" that evening, piped in that as fans we hold The Beatles to a very high standard and that the hand-wringing was to be expected.
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis in Beatles 'Mystery Tour discussion, NY, Oct 24 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

The Magical Mystery Tour was first shown 50 years ago tonight on British television .