Elvis and the Imposters play Paris, France, 29 May 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis and the Imposters play Paris, France, 29 May 2012

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and the Imposters play the Olympia, Paris on 29 May 2012. Le Parisen previewed the show here:

http://www.leparisien.fr/musique/le-roc ... 685413.php

Le rockeur Elvis Costello en concert «customisé» à Paris en mai 2012

En mai 2012, dans le cadre de son "The Revolver Tour", Elvis Costello se produira en concert unique et exceptionnel à l'Olympia avec son groupe, The Imposters. L'artiste irlandais régalera le public français de certains de ses plus grands tubes et quelques inédits, choisis au hasard ou presque...

C'est un spectacle hors norme que le vétéran Elvis Costello, 57 ans, proposera à ses fans européens au printemps 2012. A l'occasion de la tournée intitulée "The Revolver Tour", le rockeur, chantre du pub rock des années 1970, offrira à son public des concerts customisés durant lesquels des tubes, des reprises et des inédits se mélangeront au grès de l'humeur des spectateurs et de l'artiste. En France, une seule date est pour l'heure programmée: le 29 mai 2012 dans la mythique salle de l'Olympia.Lors de ce show, comme pour le reste de cette tournée qui démarrera le 9 mai à Dublin (Irlande), Elvis Costello interprétera au hasard des titres choisis parmi 40 de son répertoire, dont feront partie ses standards (« Oliver's Army », « Everyday I write the book »,...), de nouvelles chansons ainsi que des covers (des Rolling Stones, de Johnny Cash et, bien sûr, « This wheel's on fire » de Bob Dylan). Précision utile, les chansons jouées seront pour certaines sélectionnées directement par le public, qui sera invité à actionné sur scène une roue de la fortune.

or in English (via Google Translate):

Rocker Elvis Costello in concert "customized" in Paris in May 2012

In May 2012, as part of his "The Revolver Tour", Elvis Costello will perform in unique and exceptional concert at the Olympia with his band, The Imposters. The Irish artist will delight the French public with some of his greatest hits and some unreleased, random or almost ...

This is an extraordinary show that the veteran Elvis Costello, 57, will offer his European fans in spring 2012. On the occasion of the tour entitled "The Revolver Tour", the rocker, singer of the pub rock of the 1970s, will offer a customized public concerts during which tubes, and unprecedented times will blend with the sandstone of mood the audience and the artist. In France, a single date for the scheduled time: 29 May 2012 at the legendary Olympia Hall. During the show, like the rest of the tour which will begin May 9 in Dublin (Ireland), Elvis Costello will perform randomly chosen from 40 titles in its repertoire, which will include its standards ("Oliver's Army," "Everyday I write the book »,...), new songs along with covers (Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and, of course, "This Wheel's on Fire" by Bob Dylan). Useful clarification, the songs will be played for some selected directly by the public, who will be invited to an action on stage wheel fortune.[/ i]

"Sandstone of mood"?

MOOT
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis and the Imposters play Paris, France, 29 May 2012

http://www.sortiraparis.com/scenes/conc ... a-lolympia

Elvis Costello vous invite à le rejoindre à l’Olympia le mardi 29 mai 2012 pour un concert exceptionnel ! Il sera ainsi accompagné de The Imposters pour son « Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour » !

L’auteur, compositeur et interprète anglais, d'origine irlandaise, j'ai nommé Elvis Costello n’est plus à présenter... Avec ses 35 ans de carrière derrière lui, il reste l'un des premiers membres de la scène Pub rock, apparue au milieu des années 1970, mais aussi une référence dans les mouvements du Punk rock et de New Wave.

Le mardi 29 mai prochain, Elvis Costello montera sur la scène de l’Olympia, en compagnie de The Imposters, pour un show unique et plutôt original, baptisé « Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour » ! Le concept est simple : une roue de la fortune composée de 40 morceaux de son répertoire : des tubes, des inédits, et des titres totalement inattendus.

A partir de là, tout est possible puisque vous aurez peut-être la chance et l’honneur d'être invité à monter sur scène pour tourner la roue qui désignera la prochaine chanson interprétée par Elvis Costello & The Imposters.

Inutile de vous dire que vous retrouverez ainsi des morceaux mythiques comme « Oliver's Army », « Everyday I write the book », mais aussi des inédits moins connus comme « Town Cryer » ou des titres des Rolling Stones, de Johnny Cash et, bien sûr, « This wheel's on fire » de Bob Dylan.

Si vous souhaitez vivre une expérience musicale unique, alors réservez dès maintenant vos places et soyez là à l’Olympia le 29 mai 2012 !

Elvis Costello & The Imposters à l’Olympia
28, boulevard des Capucines, 75009 Paris
Le mardi 29 mai 2012

Horaire : 20h
Tarifs : De 56,50 € à 78,50 €

ou, en Anglais!:

Elvis Costello invites you to join him at the Olympia Tuesday, May 29, 2012 for a concert!

He will be joined by The Imposters and for his "Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour"!

The author, composer and interpreter English, Irish-born, I named Elvis Costello needs no introduction ... With his 35-year career behind him, he remains one of the first members of the pub rock scene, which appeared in the mid-1970s, but also a reference in the movements of Punk rock and New Wave.

Tuesday, May 29, Elvis Costello ascends the stage at the Olympia, along with The Imposters, a rather unique and original show, called "Spectacular Spinning Songbook Tour"! The concept is simple: a wheel of fortune composed of 40 pieces from his repertoire: hits, unpublished, and titles completely unexpected.

From there, everything is possible as you may be lucky and honoured to be invited on stage to spin the wheel which will appoint the next song performed by Elvis Costello & The Imposters.

Needless to say that you will find such pieces mythical as "Oliver's Army," "Everyday I write the book," but also unpublished lesser known as "Town Cryer" or covers of the Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and, of course "This Wheel's on Fire" by Bob Dylan.

If you want to live a unique musical experience, so book your tickets now and be there at the Olympia May 29, 2012!

Elvis Costello & The Imposters at the Olympia
28 Boulevard des Capucines, 75009 Paris
On Tuesday, May 29, 2012

Time: 20h
Rates: From € 56.50 to € 78.50

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

https://twitter.com/frapuchon/status/20 ... 76/photo/1
Ambiance fête foraine pour le concert d'Elvis ‪#Costello‬ à l'‪#Olympia‬ ‪#Hipstamatic‬ ‪#Jimmy‬ ‪#Inas1969

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
I want you d'Elvis Costello me fait toujours le même effet #jauraivouluetreàlolympia
Wow. Antoine De Caunes dancing on stage with Elvis Costello at l'Olympia! Fabuleux! @antoinedecaune1 Bravo. Great moves!
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Antoine_De_Caunes
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

do poor napoleon and crimes of paris get an outing tonight?
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Paris, France
May 29th, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
Motel Matches - Spin 1
Accidents Will Happen - Spin 2
"Joanna" Jackpot - Spin 3
I Still Have That Other Girl
She
Talking In The Dark
"Numbers" Jackpot - Spin 4
Less Than Zero
One Bell Ringing
Watching The Detectives/Help Me - Spin 5
Oliver's Army - Spin 6
Bedlam - Spin 7 - M. Antoine de Caunes' Spin
Chelsea - Featuring The Crazy Go-Go Stylings Of M. Antoine de Caunes - IMPROMPTU
Interlude
A Slow Drag With Josephine - Napoleon Solo
Jimmie Standing In The Rain - Napoleon Solo
Who's The Meanest Girl In Town, Josephine - Napoleon "Ukulele" Solo
Veronica - with the Imposters
Shipbuilding
National Ransom No.9
The Hammer Of Songs
So Like Candy/Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
Everyday I Write The Book - IMPROMPTU
Alison/The Wind Cries Mary
Finale
"Happy" Jackpot - Napoleon's Choice
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Pump It Up
Peace, Love And Understanding
Poor Napoleon - Pour Sofia et Thomas
I Want You
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

bronxapostle wrote:Poor Napoleon - Pour Sofia et Thomas
Judging by the Twitter commentary, I think this means Sofia Coppola and her husband Thomas Mars (of the band Phoenix).
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Lovely stuff. Bugger, why did I only see him once over here? Want more, eg. Motel Matches. Love the audience walking for She (though not as good as Cambridge where we were standing, and he was singing away an arm's length from me, my God!), though when he goes to the front at the end, the guy transfixed in front of him suddenly thinks 'ah yes, take a photo!'. I love seeing the audience shots on here, but God I could smash each and every camera/phone to pieces at the event. Why are people obsessed with appreciating everything at one remove when it's right in front of them? Same in the Met or the Louvre where cameras are allowed, the experience is sacrificed for being able to capture a poor reproduction to show the world and his wife you were there. A guy in front of me, clearly a fan, knew the words to all the oldies, had the tour t-shirt, and yet spent the entire evening snapping and discussing the results with his partner. Why? And then in the darker Napoleon Solo moments, yep, on went his flash. Modern life is rubbish. People are forgetting how to experience and appreciate things.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

I think an all phones off policy should be enforced at gigs. People have no problem doing it at movies, so why not concerts.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Call me old fashioned but cell phones should be checked at the door. Never will happen, though.
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I'm extremely grateful for phones being admitted as I can check the flash recorder without too much interest from people around me and, in answer to BAs question, I believe I have recordings of all the UK shows except Brighton which I didn't attend !!
krm

Post by krm »

sulky lad wrote:I'm extremely grateful for phones being admitted as I can check the flash recorder without too much interest from people around me and, in answer to BAs question, I believe I have recordings of all the UK shows except Brighton which I didn't attend !!
and we are very happy about this......
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

HopeYou'reHappyNow

Post by HopeYou'reHappyNow »

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Lovely stuff. Bugger, why did I only see him once over here? Want more, eg. Motel Matches. Love the audience walking for She (though not as good as Cambridge where we were standing, and he was singing away an arm's length from me, my God!), though when he goes to the front at the end, the guy transfixed in front of him suddenly thinks 'ah yes, take a photo!'. I love seeing the audience shots on here, but God I could smash each and every camera/phone to pieces at the event. Why are people obsessed with appreciating everything at one remove when it's right in front of them? Same in the Met or the Louvre where cameras are allowed, the experience is sacrificed for being able to capture a poor reproduction to show the world and his wife you were there. A guy in front of me, clearly a fan, knew the words to all the oldies, had the tour t-shirt, and yet spent the entire evening snapping and discussing the results with his partner. Why? And then in the darker Napoleon Solo moments, yep, on went his flash. Modern life is rubbish. People are forgetting how to experience and appreciate things.
Agree 100%. Ban the bastard things.
"But look at yourself
You'll see you're still so young
You haven't earned the weariness
That sounds so jaded on your tongue"
Man out of Time

Review and some good photos:

http://www.rockurlife.net/live-report/e ... a-29-05-12

ELVIS COSTELLO & THE IMPOSTERS @ OLYMPIA (29/05/12)

Elvis Costello se produit à l'Olympia à Paris avec The Imposters et sans première partie ? Cette dernière se révèlera effectivement superflue puisque Monsieur Costello assurera le show pendant plus de 2h30 ! Ce musicien d'origine irlandaise très connu par les anglophones sévit depuis plus de trente ans sur la scène rock, en passant par de multiples influences, du pub rock à la pop en passant par le punk rock. Il utilise plusieurs alias suivant ses albums (comme "Napoleon Dynamite") et entoure de différents musiciens dont les Attractions et les Imposters. Sa discographie est vaste et ce soir, pour le plus grand plaisir du public, il nous invite à la parcourir au gré du hasard.

En effet, si son dernier album "National Ransom" date de 2010, il ne compte pas se limiter à ce dernier pour ce "Spectacular Singing Songbook Tour" et une grande roue multicolore trônant sur la scène affiche 44 titres tous tirés d'opus différents. Après une mise en bouche de trois titres, Elvis Costello nous explique le principe de la grande roue et invite sur scène le premier spectateur qui pourra la faire tourner. En effet, entre quelques compositions choisies par le chanteur lui-même, d'autres seront sélectionnées tout au long de la soirée par des spectateurs qui monteront sur scène pour tourner la roue et pourront s'assoir aux côtés des musiciens le temps d'écouter leurs chansons. L'ambiance est bonne enfant, le niveau est bluffant, tant par la maîtrise des musiciens que par la présence et l'énergie de ce frontman classieux et déjanté. Nous sommes entraînés par "Motel Matches", "45", "Watching The Detectives" ou encore "Oliver's Army", cajolés par la grandiose interprétation de "She" et amusés par ses nombreuses interventions.

Alors que plus d'une heure s'est déjà écoulée, nous voici déjà arrivés au premier rappel qui sera également suivi d'une bonne heure de musique supplémentaire. Cerise sur le gâteau, au milieu de morceaux tels que "A Slow Drag With Josephine", "The Hammer Of Songs" et "So Like Candy" revisité à la sauce "Don't Let Me Be Misanderstood", un Antoine de Caunes apparaît tout sourire sur scène. Un murmure de surprise parcourt l'assemblée et ce dernier confirme sa présence avec un magistral "Hélau, maï naïme iz Antouane Deucône"; Les deux artistes échangent quelques phrases, Antoine tourne la roue et, ne tenant plus en place, profite de la chanson pour se déhancher dans la "cage" de la danseuse. Il redemandera d'ailleurs une deuxième chanson afin de pouvoir continuer à s’amuser ! Ce second set se termine avec "Everyday I Write The Book" et un magnifique "Alison". Deuxième départ de scène, le public continue à applaudir en espérant un ultime comeback.

Elvis Costello nous gratifiera bien d'un second rappel et la soirée s'achève en véritable feu d'artifice avec des titres tels que "High Fidelity" et un "I Want You" débridé qu'il fera durer pour le plus grand plaisir de l'audience.

En conclusion une soirée exceptionnelle avec un artiste de grand talent. Ce dernier, doté d’un charisme et d'une générosité sans pareil, aura fait vibrer tout le public pendant près de trois heures. Un grand moment !

In "English" via google translate:

ELVIS COSTELLO & The Imposters @ OLYMPIA ( 29/05/12 )

Elvis Costello at the Olympia in Paris with The Imposters without first part ? The latter actually prove unnecessary as Mr. Costello will the show for more than 2:30 ! This well known English musician of Irish origin raged for more than thirty years on the rock scene , through multiple influences , pub rock to pop to punk rock. He uses several aliases following his albums (like " Napoleon Dynamite " ) and surrounded by various musicians whose Attractions and Imposters . His discography is extensive and tonight, for the delight of the public, he invites us to travel at the mercy of chance.

Indeed, if his latest album " National Ransom " of 2010, he does not intend to limit the latter for "Spectacular Singing Songbook Tour" and a large multicoloured wheel towering over the scene displays all 44 tracks from different opus . After an appetizer of three titles , Elvis Costello explains the principle of ferris wheel and invited on stage the first viewer that can rotate . Indeed, from a few compositions selected by the singer himself , others will be selected throughout the evening by spectators taking the stage to spin the wheel and will sit alongside the musicians time to listen their songs. The atmosphere is good child , the level is stunning, both in the control of musicians by the presence and energy of this classy and crazy frontman. We are driven by "Motel Matches ", " 45 ", " Watching The Detectives" or " Oliver 's Army" , coaxed by the magnificent rendition of " She" and amused by his many interventions.

While more than an hour has already passed , we are already there in the first reminder will also be followed by an hour of additional music. Icing on the cake in the middle of songs like "A Slow Drag With Josephine ," "The Hammer Of Songs" and "So Like Candy" revisited sauce "Do not Let Me Be Misanderstood " a Antoine de Caunes appears all smiles on stage. A murmur of surprise runs the meeting and he confirms his presence with a masterful " Helau , Mai naime iz Antouane Deucône " Both artists share a few sentences, Antoine turns the wheel , and not taking up more , enjoy the song to wiggle in the "cage" of the dancer. Moreover, he will request a second song in order to continue to have fun! This second set ends with "Everyday I Write The Book " and a wonderful " Alison " . From second stage, the audience continued to cheer and hope for a final comeback .

Elvis Costello gratifies us many a second reminder and the evening ends with real fireworks with titles such as "High Fidelity " and " I Want You" unbridled that will last for the delight of the hearing.

In conclusion an exceptional evening with an artist of great talent. The latter, with a charisma and unparalleled generosity, will vibrate the entire audience for nearly three hours. A great moment !

MOOT