Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 20 June 2013

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Last edited by johnfoyle on Mon Jul 09, 2012 8:22 am, edited 1 time in total.
littletriggers

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Basingstoke 27 May '12

Post by littletriggers »

I'll be there again John.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Verbal and I will be there, hoping that Verbal can prove his own identity to the satisfaction of the box office at The Anvil.

Last night of the UK Tour could be lively.

MOOT
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Man out of Time wrote:Verbal and I will be there, hoping that Verbal can prove his own identity to the satisfaction of the box office at The Anvil.
I need to find myself.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'll be in Amazingstoke with So Lacklustre (and his posse I believe).
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Yep I be there with lady SoLack and offspring. Btw offspring - Holly wd very much like to have a spin!
signed with love and vicious kisses
verbal gymnastics

There was a father and daughter double spin in Birmingham so it could happen...

Your legendary status on this board would be enhanced :)
Man out of Time

I seem to remember from last time (the Brodsky Quartet show in 2009), that there is a pleasant bar with an outdoor seating area at the Anvil, so would it make sense to meet there rather than anywhere else?

I have to say that whilst I am looking forward to this show, it will have to be really something to top last night at the RAH. Let us hope Elvis' voice is a little recovered and not too worn out from Cambridge.

See you all there.

MOOT
JONPD

Post by JONPD »

Looking forward to Basingstoke tomorrow.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

yes bar at anvil ok but won't open unil 7 I am meeting bwap late afternoon and will prob go for meal at wagamama followed by meal at lloyds bar both in festival place about 5-10 min walk from anvil - lloyds pretty shit weatherspoon bar but i know it will be open will then prob head for anvil about 7
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Won't you be a bit bloated after those two meals?

Hope BWAP is refreshed after his Green King fen frenzy. and to think of all that lovely Czech pilsner he has easy access to.

Elvis's voice did sound a little frayed at times tonight, but nothing he couldn't pull off perfectly. Just a little sign or two that he is indeed 57.

There was a father and daughter moment in Cambridge too with him hitting the bell of the Hammer of Songs and daughter needing assistance from powerful Katya.

Wishing I could come too! Come back again soon, Elvis.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
migdd

Post by migdd »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Postponed... and more Spinning Songbook dates are coming!!

"Basingstoke Postponement Announcement"

"Regretfully, we have to announce that tonight's Spectacular Spinning Songbook concert by Elvis Costello and the Imposters at the Anvil Theatre in Basingstoke has been postponed due to short term vocal fatigue and doctors advice.

Elvis Costello sent the following message to ticket holders...

"I would like to apologize to our friends in Basingstoke for not being able to sing this evening but I would not want to end this Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour of the U.K. with what I know could only be a sub-standard performance. I thank you for your understanding and I look forward to our rescheduled show in your fine theatre.

Our recent "Revolver Tour" dates have joyful, comical, humbling, inspiring and restoring occasions after a very difficult personal time. I want to send my sincere thanks to all those who attended, span the Wheel, swung the Hammer of Songs, shook a tailfeather and lifted their voices. It's been good to be back and that goes for the Imposters too.

Thanks must also go to our special guests, Bible Code Sundays, the MacManus Brothers, Chris Difford, Ian Prowse, Russell Crowe, Martin Belmont, Glenn Tilbrook, Mr. Nick Lowe and Albert's Giant Royal Organ."

We are presently seeking a suitable date for a re-scheduled Basingstoke concert.

Watch this space for future announcements about new "Revolver" dates.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters can be seen at the Cornbury Festival on Saturday June 30th."
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Fuck fuck fuck fuck
krm

Post by krm »

Regretfully, we have to announce that tonight's Spectacular Spinning Songbook concert by Elvis Costello and the Imposters at The Anvil has been postponed due to short term vocal fatigue and doctor's advice.

http://www.anvilarts.org.uk/whats-on/12 ... -imposters
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

so lacklustre wrote:Fuck fuck fuck fuck
My initial reaction also but then on reflection I feel quite lucky as after nine shows I find my mind wandering ever more when the wheel disappoints as it did after its brilliant beginning in Cambridge yesterday and also during the intermission and encores. Perhaps this was Elvis's way of telling me I've overindulged myself and I need to get a life!
Man out of Time

This is not a complete surprise. I was not at Cambridge last night, but on Thursday night at the RAH, Elvis' voice was struggling, particularly during "Favourite Hour". I trust he will come back to Basingstoke - it is a nice theatre. Let us hope his voice recovers for the European dates to come - maybe see you in Eindhoven...

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

sorry about that you "stokers". hope it gets paid back soon. :lol:
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

Nevermind, right get the drinks in !
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

Voice was rough-edged at times in Cambridge, but nothing that would make you expect him to cancel the next night. My commiserations. I've been on a high all day after my one and only show of the tour. Still can't get over how close I was to him as he passed through the crowd. Trust the voice holds out for European dates.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

When so lack sent me a text on Sunday morning I thought this was one of his jocularity moments so I was pretty shocked to find it was true.

To be honest I was very cynical about this. Elvis' voice seemed fine in Cambridge and the timing of this seemed odd. His voice was OK on Saturday night yet first thing on Sunday the gig was postponed. At what stage did this happen?

Personally I think that the show ended really well at Cambridge and, with no disrespect to the good people of Basingstoke, it would not be the most rock'n'roll place to end a tour.

I also think that Elvis would not want to cancel Steve's home gig.

What was also interesting is that there will be further dates announced. You can bet the tour won't end at Basingstoke!
Man out of Time

Without disagreeing with Verbal (who kindly got me a ticket for Basingstoke in the first place), I am less sure that the plug was pulled on Basingstoke, just because it is Basingstoke. Is Cambridge any more "rock and roll"?

A quick look back on previous UK dates shows that tours have ended in a variety of places:

2010 - Sugarcanes - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
2009 - Brodsky Quartet - St George's Bristol - a very small venue, in a former church
2008 - Royal Liverpool Philarmonic Orchestra Philarharmonic Hall -Liverpool a "home" fixture
2005 - The Imposters, Bridgwater Hall, Manchester
2003 - with Steve Nieve - Birmingham Symphony Hall
2002 - The Imposters, Hammersmith Apollo, London
1999 - with Steve Nieve - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
1996 - The Attractions - Roundhouse, London

The last UK date of the 1991 Tour with The Rude 5 was at the Clickimin Centre on Lerwick http://shetlopedia.com/Clickimin_Leisure_Centre which is probably about as far from the centre of Rock and Roll as it is possible to get in the UK (with all due respect to the people of Lerwick).

The most interesting comparison may be with 2003, when some of you will recall, the closing date of the UK tour was scheduled for the Bournemouth International Centre on Saturday 8 November. That date was cancelled, so the UK leg of the tour finished a day early in Birmingham. Elvis and Steve made it back to Bournemouth on 30 April 2004 for what was Elvis' only English date that year. That concert was the worst I have ever seen him give. Verbal and Sulky Lad were there too and can corroborate that he was in a dark mood on stage (albeit charming at the stage door afterwards).

Let us hope that his return to The Anvil, is part of a full UK tour and sees him in good spirits. I doubt, however, that we shall see the Revolver show on the Anvil stage, but I could be wrong . It would be a shame if the Anvil were to miss out on the Hammer of Songs.

MOOT
terryhurley

Post by terryhurley »

Man out of Time wrote:.

Let us hope that his return to The Anvil, is part of a full UK tour and sees him in good spirits. I doubt, however, that we shall see the Revolver show on the Anvil stage, but I could be wrong . It would be a shame if the Anvil were to miss out on the Hammer of Songs.

MOOT

Now that is funny. :D
verbal gymnastics

Very punny indeed.
verbal gymnastics

Man out of Time wrote:Without disagreeing with Verbal (who kindly got me a ticket for Basingstoke in the first place), I am less sure that the plug was pulled on Basingstoke, just because it is Basingstoke. Is Cambridge any more "rock and roll"?
Just because I got you a ticket doesn't mean you have to agree with me :lol:
Man out of Time wrote:A quick look back on previous UK dates shows that tours have ended in a variety of places:

2010 - Sugarcanes - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
2009 - Brodsky Quartet - St George's Bristol - a very small venue, in a former church
2008 - Royal Liverpool Philarmonic Orchestra Philarharmonic Hall -Liverpool a "home" fixture
2005 - The Imposters, Bridgwater Hall, Manchester
2003 - with Steve Nieve - Birmingham Symphony Hall
2002 - The Imposters, Hammersmith Apollo, London
1999 - with Steve Nieve - Royal Concert Hall, Glasgow
1996 - The Attractions - Roundhouse, London
I think that sums up my point.

The Brodsky tour was hardly rock and/or roll. The other band gigs have been in places where you might expect a tour to end - Glasgow, Manchester and London.

And I'm sure that Otis will tell us that Cambridge is very rock'n'roll. It certainly was on Saturday.