Elvis/Imposters - Royal Albert Hall 24th May 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Elvis/Imposters - Royal Albert Hall 24th May 2012

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Who's going?

There is every likelihood that I will be going with sulky lad although I know I owe Mrs VG big time for this tour...

I booked 2 tickets from www.double8tickets.com. They are selling floor seats for a discounted price of £30 (plus £9 special delivery) as well as having other tickets.

I booked them on Wednesday and they arrived yesterday. They are in Block B, row 15. I'm not complaining about that.

I've read varying reviews about them but MOOT has used them before and not had any problems and nor did I. So if you haven't got tickets, here's a good place to start.

Tell 'em I sent you :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Man out of Time

Re: Elvis/Imposters - Royal Albert Hall 24th May 2012

Post by Man out of Time »

verbal gymnastics wrote:I've read varying reviews about them but MOOT has used them before and not had any problems and nor did I.
I am glad my recommendation was helpful. If you are put off by the charge for special delivery or the hassle of going to your "local" sorting office to collect a delivery that came when you were at work, they have an office at the bottom of Charing Cross Road (number 28) in London. When I first used them, being wary of ticket agents, I visited them there (on a Saturday afternoon) and it was comforting to see an office with real people and their stock of actual physical tickets that you could have in your hand, before passing on any money. For some shows (such as the EC RAH shows) their prices go down, nearer to the date of the show, presumably because they expect supply to exceed demand.

There are ticket agents that give the business a bad name (e.g. Ticketb*****d), so it is good to find one that comes up with the goods at a fair price.

BTW, somewhere on the M40 on Monday night, VG and I tentatively agreed a meet up prior to the RAH shows next week. The venue I would propose is the Goat Tavern at 3a Kensington High Street, London W8 5NP

http://www.taylor-walker.co.uk/pub-food ... /pid-C3052

The nearest tube station is High Street, Kensington (District and Circle Line). This pub is a little walk away from the RAH, but it has the merit of being easy to find for our overseas visitors attending this concert.

The Revolver Tour shows are starting pretty promptly just after 8pm, and there is no support, so I would suggest we need to leave the pub no later than 7.40pm. I will aim to be there from around 6.30pm, if others want to join us. If it helps your travel plans, you will know that the Revolver shows run pretty much right up to 11pm most nights, but there will still be underground trains and buses running for a good hour after that, so we may see you at the Stage Door.

If you want to text me before either show to meet up, my cell/mobile number is +44 (0)7795 121146.

MOOT
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

My ticket for first show which I bought from Double8Tickets arrived at my friend's house too. So, yes, moot's recommendation was very helpful. Thanks :)

But my ticket for the second show I bought directly from RAH website and I have to collect it at box office. Therefore I need to get there a bit earlier.

I'm a bit confused. We are going to meet up before the first or the second show? Or both? :D

This Goat Tavern looks great to me but I go with anything you guys choose. :)
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

A late decision, but I'm going with the Fishfinger Queen - also booked under price via double8.
Might see some of you in the Goat.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Man out of Time

Following last night's RAH show, there seems to be a fair chance that someone other than Elvis and the Imposters and a succession of spinners will grace the stage of the RAH.

The BibleCode Sundays won't be there, but otherwise a list of possible "guests" might include:
  • Martin Belmont
    T-Bone Burnett
    Keith Richards
    One or more members of Squeeze
    St**ng
    RIchard Thompson
    Alex Turner
    Rufus Wainwright
You may think some of these look unlikely, but no more unlikely than Russell Crowe... Any other offers before the Wheel spins?

MOOT
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Man out of Time wrote:Following last night's RAH show, there seems to be a fair chance that someone other than Elvis and the Imposters and a succession of spinners will grace the stage of the RAH.

The BibleCode Sundays won't be there, but otherwise a list of possible "guests" might include:
  • Martin Belmont
    T-Bone Burnett
    Keith Richards
    One or more members of Squeeze
    St**ng
    RIchard Thompson
    Alex Turner
    Rufus Wainwright
You may think some of these look unlikely, but no more unlikely than Russell Crowe... Any other offers before the Wheel spins?

MOOT
After last night I think it's fair to assume it won't be Rupert Murdoch ! :wink:
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Prince Philip with a version of god save the queen imo
signed with love and vicious kisses
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Twitter:
Passed Nick Lowe outside Royal Albert Hall - likely guest for Elvis Costello's Spinning Wheel day 2 #elviscostello
Man out of Time

Elvis has opened with Lipstick Vogue, You Belong to Me, Mystery Dance and Radio, Radio. It seems he is saving Heart Of The City for later.....

MOOT
And No Coffee Table

Short clip of "Lipstick Vogue":
http://www.viddy.com/video/b6d9b429-3bc ... af39e2a87a

Twitter:
Elvis played about eight songs so far - not one from spinning songbook #stillgoodtho
Party Girl, This Years Girl, Spooky Girlfriend get an airing #elviscostello cracking start
. @ElvisCostello has pulled out an audience member from #Brixton to spin the wheel...! sadly says: 'I have no Brixton songs' :-(
GET HAPPY! Can't Stand Up For Falling Down, High Fidelity, 5ive Gears In Reverse, King Horse #elviscostello classic
Elvis Costello says the queen gets to have 2 birthdays & then gives us 2 days off. "That's good of her seeing as we pay for her"!
Lolwut Angela and Maria Eagle are on stage, Elvis Costello told them not to drink the blue drinks
They rolled Alison! My faith in the Labour Party is restored
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Angela_Eagle
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maria_Eagle
Alison-Theres A Place For Us, Strict Time, Man Out of Time, Out of Time #elviscostello No let up
And No Coffee Table

The great Nick Lowe just just #elviscostello on stage
Trust me, it's nick Lowe! #elviscostello http://pic.twitter.com/LDtKM9tV
Kings Ransom: stations of the cross, Nick Lowe signing Poisoned Rose...majestic. Then dubby Watching the Detectives #elviscostello
@ElvisCostello singing with Steve Nieve playing the RAH organ highlight of the evening...so far!
Raspy Favourite Hour with Nieve on the Albert Hall organ, Deep Dark Truthful Mirror and Shipbuilding #elviscostello
Mr Krall has been taking lessons from her indoors. #phrasing. Couldn't resist an unamplified #TonyBennett moment. #showoff
But he can hold this hall in the palm of his hand. Buddy Can You Spare A Dime. #ElvisCostello
A slow drag with Josephine wins over fans, Jimmy Standing in the Rain and Tramp the Dirt Down seal the deal #elviscostello
Tramp the dirt down quite incredible, Olivers Army and I would rather be here than anywhere else today!
Beyond Belief!
Purple Rain! Yes Purple Rain, Clubland!
Unhappy people at Elvis Costello "how dare he be so rude about the Royal Family and play in the Royal Albert Hall". They've left early
Pump It Up and Day Tripper and now more Nick Lowe! Absolutely brilliant Elvis!
Big finale - Beyond Belief, Oliver's Army, Pump It Up, Heart of the City/Peace Love and Understanding with Lowe (not Crowe) #elviscostello
Plus a fantastic vampy version of National Ransom with menace #elviscostello
So #elviscostello finished with Peace, Love... With Nick Lowe and Tenessee Thomas, and Steve Nieve on the Royal Albert Hall organ. Historic!
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

So, Fishfinger King, did you go? I went to the goat but you weren't there - or maybe you were?

Great gig, though Elvis's voice was shot - he could get through the rockers, but alas, he couldn't manage the tender phrasing of the ballads, that he normally does so well.

But still a stunning gig, I felt quite emotional at the end, and I got to shake Pete's hand!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Great, Neil, we could see Pete look down and then shake someone's hand but didn't realise it was you - he must have been lining you up as a prospective son-in-law !! :lol: Just as well VG didn't make it to the front, we'd have had a cat-fight between Dixie and Katya over him
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

The start was absolutely blistering and I won't brag about predicting both Lipstick Vogue and You Belong To Me because my other predictions ( Clowntime on the organ and Beaten To The Punch -despite all the hints to Pete and Steve) didn't materialise.
Up until the "Girl" jackpot and Spooky Girlfriend, there had been no song after 1980 what with the first four and then the Happy jackpot along with Alison - played as a full band with The Wind |Cries Mary medley. EC had obviously been saving his voice and tonight we go several jackpots and songs flowed so much more seamlessly than last night. I felt a bit disappointed that we only got Nick Lowe as a guest even though he took Poisoned Rose to a new high and although Steve on the organ was exceptional and strangely easier to hear last night compared to the 23rd (the organ solo included an amazing cadenza and changes in registration which showed a mastery rarely seen in modern keyboard players - Keith Emerson, for example in early days of The Nice and ELP never showed the same degree of comfort and ease as Steve showed last night - I'd love to hear him play a solo keyboard performance of "classical piano and organ!)
So, I'd choose the finale of the 23rd ( along with Steve' s organ from 24th) and the main course of last night to build the most perfect representation of this tour and unlike SoLack's prediction, it was only The Hammer Of Songs that got broken and Prince (squiggle Harry, William and Phillip) didn't appear !
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Great show last night, sound was better, Elvis not holding back with his voice so much, Imps on blistering form, a lot more surprises in the set list and spins (for me at any rate). The friends I took along were gratifying knocked out by the band's fire and inventiveness, not to mention the refreshing lack of 'rock earnestness' the whole evening span on. Glad that Nick's doubtless oh so true comments a while back of his bewilderment about and dislike of Elvis's A list celeb mixing lifestyle don't seem to have soured their relationship, it was simply great to see the band's old mucker, producer and mentor on stage with them. Poisoned Rose was a treat and the rightness of Nick joining in on PLU made for sheer joy. This after the mere mention of Nick's name the night before produced loud applause. A cracking evening, so glad I forked out for both nights.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Setlist from elviscostello.com
Elvis Costello & The Imposters
London, Royal Albert Hall, England
May 24th, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

Lipstick Vogue
You Belong To Me
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

The Spectacular Spinning Songbook

"Girl" Jackpot - Spin 1

This Year's Girl
Spooky Girlfriend
Party Girl

"Happy" Jackpot - Spin 2

I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Five Gears In Reverse
King Horse

Alison - Spin 3

"Time" Jackpot - Spin 4

Strict Time
Man Out Of Time
Out Of Time

"KIng's Ransom" Jackpot - Spin 5

The Stations Of The Cross/Get Ready

Poisoned Rose - sung by Mr. Nick Lowe with the Imposters

Watching The Detectives/Help Me

The Hammer Of Songs

Favourite Hour - with Mr. Steve Nieve at the Royal Albert Hall Organ

Deep Dark Truthful Mirror

Shipbuilding

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine - Napoleon Solo

Jimmie Standing In The Rain - Napoleon Solo

Tramp The Dirt Down - with the Imposters

National Ransom No.9

Oliver's Army

Finale

Beyond Belief

Purple Rain

Clubland

Pump It Up/Day Tripper

Heart Of The City - duet with Mr. Nick Lowe and the Imposters

Peace, Love And Understanding - duet with Mr. Nick Lowe with the Imposters with Mr. Steve Nieve at the Royal Albert Hall Organ
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Neil. wrote:So, Fishfinger King, did you go? I went to the goat but you weren't there - or maybe you were?
Yes Neil, I was there and in the Goat. Rather crowded - should have had my "I'm Fishfinger King" identity badge (or crown) on!! Sorry to miss everyone.

I was discussing what ideal song choices we'd choose with the FF Queen beforehand. I said "You Belong to me" and she said "This Year's Girl" - showing our vintages. Amazed that both were in the first five songs.
What a song selection though - some of my faves - Five gears in reverse, King Horse, Party Girl, Deep Dark Truthful Mirror, Favourite Hour - amazing!!!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

sulky lad wrote:Great, Neil, we could see Pete look down and then shake someone's hand but didn't realise it was you - he must have been lining you up as a prospective son-in-law !! :lol:
Not quite show how that one would work :lol: :wink:
sulky lad wrote:Just as well VG didn't make it to the front, we'd have had a cat-fight between Dixie and Katya over him
As in which one of them could get away first :lol:

The second night stint saw a very special guest as well as a favourite person joining for the last encore. Yes, in the Goat Tavern we were joined by the lovely Natasha and then Neil. decided to go to the gig at the last minute and got a 6th row ticket. And in Natasha we have a reporter who should be able to tell us all about the Hamburg show.

As far as Elvis was concerned, this was a much better show. The sound was better, the atmosphere on stage was better (Davy in particular on the first night did not seem to be enjoying it at all) and Elvis' voice was better for the louder songs. He did, as pointed out, strucggle with the more tender songs. The show was also ably assisted by the number of Jackpot spins which enabled the show to flow.

We had some real treats. As soon as we realised Heart of the City wasn't played in the first few songs we knew it would be duetted as MOOT had spoiled the whole tour for me by texting that Nick Lowe was there :lol:

There were two standout spinners. One was a husband and wife pair. The wife asked if she could strap her husband to the wheel and spin it. They got King's Ransom. Elvis rigged the wheel to Stations of the Cross because he said he felt like playing it. When they played Poisoned Rose the couple slow danced and everybody cheered although Elvis and Nick did not realise why and they did not face the couple.

It was no surprise that he was the only male spinner. In the final encore a spinner spun No Particular Place to go but they didn't play it. The lady then danced in the cage for a while.

Peace, Love and Understanding had Tennessee Thomas on the second drum kit again which was superfluous but it was great to see Tennessee enjoying it and watching her dad.

One of the spinners was Angela Eagle MP who Elvis said he had known for 30 years.

Steve looked like a cat who got the cream after playing on the Royal Albert Hall organ.

A good night but it's dawning on me that there are only 2 more shows to go and then my wife's stuck with me full time again. Believe me, I owe her BIG time, not that she's likely to forget it :lol:
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
And No Coffee Table

Steve Nieve on pipe organ:

(original link)
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
blureu

Post by blureu »

great videos!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Azmuda wrote:Favourite Hour -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PzmH657Uqk4
That organ is AMAZING! Steve must have been in pig heaven, so to speak.
krm

Post by krm »

He has done this before if my memory serves me right. RAH + Favourite hour on the big organ! I have it on some old VHS if my memory serves my right. I could be wrong though......