johnfoyle

Elvis/The Imposters, Cambridge May 26 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
Bradwellboy

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, Cambridge May 26 '12

Post by Bradwellboy »

My First Post

Me , my wife , my 2 Sons and girlfriends.

My wife seen him a good few times before, the rest virgins

Liverpool on sunday was awesome
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Welcome!
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

I'll put my seal of approval on this one too, me and my wife will be there.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Bradwellboy wrote:My First Post

Me , my wife , my 2 Sons and girlfriends.

My wife seen him a good few times before, the rest virgins

Liverpool on sunday was awesome
cool Bradwell...and just how many girlfriends does your Mrs. allow you to bring along to the show? :D :D :D

WELCOME ABOARD! we look forward to your report. ENJOY THE SHOW!!!!! benny
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

I'm in. I know sulky and otis are going as well. I think Jackson Monk is attending.
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Boy With A Problem

Post by Boy With A Problem »

I'm there as well.
Everyone just needs to fuckin’ relax. Smoke more weed, the world is ending.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

I'm going with the Fishfinger Queen.
Anyone know a good pub to eat, drink in before?
As it's standing will need to queue early though!
Looking forward to a good old fahioned standing Elvis gig.
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
Bradwellboy

Post by Bradwellboy »

Anyone know what time doors are.

What time you boys in the (or starting) the queue
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No info on opening time. 7pm maybe?

Told VG I was expecting to be in the nearby Cow pub from c. 6.30. I wonder if we'll still recognise each other! Jackson Monk ain't going. Too late getting tickets, he said. I know several people locally who are going, inevitably enough (though quite a few others said they liked him, but not enough to spend £42.50 on).

Entirely flat floor, so for my diminutive wife to get a good view, right up front is best, or further back. Might just settle for the easy option with the latter. Don't want to be too close to any speakers - these days I have to wear hearing protection to stop my tinnitus worsening! Made the mistake of taking them out at New Order's magnificent recent Brixton show as I wanted the full force of it. Those days are over now!

Did I mention that the last time he played at the Corn Exchange, as far as I can see, was March 31 1978:

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... _Cambridge
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
verbal gymnastics

Otis Westinghouse wrote:Told VG I was expecting to be in the nearby Cow pub from c. 6.30. I wonder if we'll still recognise each other!
I've been painted a different colour to make it easier for you :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Though like the Forth bridge, once you finish at one end, you have to start at the other !!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

http://www.cambridge-news.co.uk/Whats-on-leisure/Choice/Elvis-Costello-24052012.htm wrote:Career highlights such as Shipbuilding or God Give Me Strength could spin into view alongside hidden gems from the Costello songbook like Town Cryer
Unusual choice there of "career highlight" 'God Give Me Strength' vs "hidden gem" 'Town Cryer'.
verbal gymnastics

I was wondering how my poor feet are going to stand for 3 hours.
Fishfinger king

Post by Fishfinger king »

Everyone there will miss Eurovision (a relief to me).
Perhaps we can look forward to a Euro song such as Waterloo, Boom Bang-a-Bang or even My Lovely Horse!!
Can't you see I'm trying to change this water to wine
buzz

Post by buzz »

I'm hoping for "Knowing Me Knowing You" rather than a Dana International cover.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i'm thinking anyone going tonight and/or tomorrow will get the TWO BEST shows this year....
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Brief audio clip of "(I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea": http://audioboo.fm/boos/820528
Otis Westinghouse

Post by Otis Westinghouse »

No tweeters?

It was a great night out. Met VG, BWAP, Sulky and Roofdog for the first time (hope you and the BWAP got that final pint or three in, Mitre?).

Standard opening 4. Unexpected treasures were Big Tears, Living With Paradise and Two Little Hitlers (though I hear that's standard when Numbers is on the wheel), and My Three Sons (likewise), which for me and the first lady of Westinghouse was very special cos, blow me down, we have three sons too. I particularly enjoyed the acoustic moments with Slow Drag and Jimmy, and the ukulele old time Josephine song, and also One Bell Ringing, and Nat Rans no. 9 (which I now recall from here from ages back, but tonight thought it was When I Was Cruel at first).

Shipbuilding and Tramp the Dirt Down also great. Elvis in touching distance as he moved through the crowd. They seemed to be having a great time. Pete and Steve brilliant as ever, I can never get over how perfect Pete's sharp chops are on his lovely red DW kit (meant to ask VG et al, does anyone know what mike and model of stick does he use?).

I enjoyed turning to the right and seeing the very tall and imposing Ukrainian Katya nearby ready to take the first spinner up. I particularly enjoyed Kay, the very staid and boring-looking woman who absolutely went for it in the Go Go Cage - weird combination of primary school headteacher and up for it MILF!

The only downside for me was all the lovely songs on the wheel that didn't get played (Motel Matches, Riot Act, So Like Candy), but you can't really complain after such an immense and entertaining setlist. Someone will post it here soon, no?

Now I'm wondering why I only got tickets for one gig. Come back Elvis! Lovely to see him play his first band gig in my town since the 70s.
There's more to life than books, you know, but not much more
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

OTIS!!!!!!!!!!! you should KNOW one show is NOT enough. glad you got a good one however it seems. cheers, benny
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Captured for posterity - last night home with Mrs. Sulky so no more postings for now !! Great to see BWAP and Otis for the first time since Amsterdam last year for the former gentleman and Hammersmith or Leicester 2005 for the latter and Roofdog who capitulated to the power of the wheel !VG got all excited when Happy jackpot was deliberately manipulated by Elvis as BWAP had heard Secondary Modern played at the soundcheck and then they did ICSTFFD, High Fidelity, Oliver's Army, PIU and PLU to end !!
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Great show, best of the three (inc two Albert Halls) I've been to. Being a mainly standing venue it made for a great Saturday night atmosphere which seemed to totally affect our beloved entertainers. Kind of a relief not to have any special guests, it was just EC giving it all. More spins than earlier in the week so a lot more audience participation all round. Elvis picked a father and daughter himself, another chap, Christopher, had Elvis leading band and audience in Happy Birthday for his 50th. I moved heaven and earth (and childcare arrangements) to get the wife to this show and she loved it, down the front dancing our socks off.

The atmosphere also has a lot to do with the spinning show itself, which is such a great idea to resurrect at this non album point in his career. As he says on that slightly awkward DVD intro 'the audience is made up of individuals' and as a group of individuals we all left last night feeling a lot closer to and valued by him. That IS a genuine show business marvel. Bless him - and all the best to anyone going to Basingstoke tonight.
Pigalle

Post by Pigalle »

Paul B wrote:Great show, best of the three (inc two Albert Halls) I've been to.
It just goes to show you how different people's perspectives are; I thought RAH2 was one of the best shows I'd seen whereas last night after an excellent start the show dissolved into a disappointing one as the wheel lost its way. Compared to Nottingham just a week ago this show while good lacked the 'surprise' element that when the wheel is on good form lasts the whole main set. I'm sure, though, you are right about the atmosphere at Cambridge, being a standing audience they were much more up for the show than anywhere else I've been but had they had a setlist like Birmingham it would have been interesting to see how that would have gone down with a standing audience.

Does anyone think the wheel is going to Cornbury as last night could be viewed as a test of the show in a festival type setting?
buzz

Post by buzz »

I had the Cambride show to compare with Glasgow and I agree that the standing made a great difference to the atmosphere and my enjoyment for the better. He seemed to race through the opening hour and the pace was more frentic. Heard some songs I hadn't heard him play live before in the Numbers section which was brilliant. Was it just me or was Rebel Rebel creeping into Two Little Hitlers? Always good to hear him enjoying himself with his nods to the audience and he lapped up the applause, Happy Birthday was a good touch. National Ransom No 9 seemed badly timed. I love the version but earlier on it would have worked but it seemed to give many around me permission to exit (I Want You would have held them more). A great gig and it sounds a well recieved tour which leads me to hope that the "indifferent man - forgotten nation" realtionship is about to turn again in UK's favour.