Elvis/The Imposters, London, May 23 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
Azmuda

Re: Elvis/The Imposters, London, May 23 2012

Post by Azmuda »

Man out of Time wrote: Setlist:

Encore 2
24. Evil (with Martin Belmont and Russell Crowe)
25. Folsom Prison Blues (Russell Crowe with Martin Belmont)
This Evil?
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evil_(Howlin'_Wolf_song)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ar_Fgwh3xaU
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The Elvis Presley talk made me think it might be "Trouble": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkLnZhhoTY#t=1m13s

What about "Mystery Train"? Was that played with Crowe? Or was that actually "Folsom Prison Blues" (which mentions a train in its opening line)?
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

According to the WIki, it has been 31 years since Martin Belmont last played with Elvis.

http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... in_Belmont

I had forgotten that he played on the album version of "From A Whisper To A Scream", as of course did Glenn Tilbrook.

For "Evil" read "Trouble". I must confess not to being an expert on the Russell Crowe songbook.

MOOT
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

VERY FUNNY (coincidentally speaking!) how much this show appears to mirror EXACTLY a year ago tonight at Beacon with Bible Code, Tennessee & the apparent circus-like atmosphere! hope you all enjoyed. HOW COULD YOU NOT??? may you all be so lucky as to get another similar show to May 24, 2011 Beacon NYC tomorrow night at Royal Albert Hall. cheers Brits....

Concert 2011-05-23 New York
<< Prev  •  2011  •  Next >>
Venue

New York, NY, Beacon Theatre -
Musicians

Elvis Costello
The Imposters
Steve Nieve
Pete Thomas
Davey Faragher
The BibleCode Sundays
Tennessee Thomas
Alex Turner
Setlist

01. I Hope You're Happy Now
02. Heart Of The City
03. Mystery Dance
04. Radio, Radio
Detectives vs. Hoover Factory
05. Watching The Detectives
Time Jackpot
06. Clowntime Is Over
07. Strict Time
08. Man Out Of Time
09. Out Of Time
10. Oliver's Army
11. A Slow Drag With Josephine - EC solo
12. American Without Tears - EC, the BibleCode Sundays & The Imposters
13. Little Palaces - EC, the BibleCode Sundays & Steve Nieve
14. So Like Candy / Don't Let Me Be Misunderstood
15. All Grown Up - EC & Steve Nieve
16. Turpentine - with Tennessee Thomas
17. Uncomplicated - with Tennessee Thomas - including Shotgun
Encore 1
18. Lipstick Vogue - with Alex Turner
19. Waiting For The End Of The World - including Gloria
20. (I Don't Want To Go To) Chelsea
21. I Want You
Encore 2
22. Alison - including Tracks Of My Tears, Tears Of A Clown and Suspicious Minds
23. (The Angels Wanna Wear My) Red Shoes
24. Purple Rain
Diana Krall and T Bone Burnett appear onstage but do not perform
25. Pump It Up - with Tennessee Thomas - including Subterranean Homesick Blues
26. (What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love And Understanding? - with Tennessee Thomas
Last edited by bronxapostle on Wed May 23, 2012 9:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
The Elvis Presley talk made me think it might be "Trouble": http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zfkLnZhhoTY#t=1m13s
According to a contributor on setlist.fm, you're right:
Encore 2:
Trouble (Elvis Presley cover)
Folsom Prison Blues (Johnny Cash cover)
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Pics by Amanda Markell on flickr.com

Russell Crowe, EC, and Martin Belmont:
BibleCode Sundays, Glenn Tilbrook and EC:
migdd

Post by migdd »

[quote="Azmuda"]Pics by Amanda Markell on flickr.com

Russell Crowe, EC, and Martin Belmont:
Two guitar players and an actor.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Video:
Shipbuilding / Trouble / Folsom Prison Blues
Paul B

Post by Paul B »

Great to see Elvis and the Imps in fine form. Elvis just managed to keep his voice intact but the sound was an awful mush though (Beyond Belief really suffered on that count). Russell Crowe was a bit ridiculous, there for his movie stardom rather than his chops (Nick Lowe would not approve, neither would I), for the finale he strode on with a glass of wine and did very little.

The wheel parts of the show worked great, heavily biased towards female members of the audience - most likely as they dance better in the cage. Despite the fact that we Brits as a sales territory barely buy his albums anymore Elvis seemed very happy to entertain us and be very topical about Murdoch, someone those of us who lived through the 80s feel pretty strongly about. Great and moving to hear Tramp The Dirt Down, especially after the shouting match Elvis had about not playing it last time i saw him at the Albert Hall on the Lonely world tour with Steve.

Lovely too to see him introduce himself as Declan along with his half brothers. The Costello Show indeed...

Here's hoping they sort the sound out before we get there tonight. Who else is going?
Man out of Time

Paul B wrote:Here's hoping they sort the sound out before we get there tonight. Who else is going?
The usual crowd will be there again, including Verbal, Sulky Lad, Natasha, The Roofdog (if he can get a ticket), and myself and (I think) So Lacklustre?. We plan to meet up again in "The Goat" on Kensington High Street from about 6pm, if you fancy joining us. The beer is decent, but I cannot promise the same for the conversation.

MOOT
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

Trust 4 Get Happy 0

I think
signed with love and vicious kisses
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

I was hoping we'd get the Happy medley at the end but apart from that can't complain at all about the setlist we got.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Strangely enough, whilst it was a good show, it was the least favourite of the 4 I've seen so far.

Elvis was clearly saving his voice. Sulky pointed out to me that Pete mouthed Clubland to Elvis at the end of Beyond Belief and Elvis said No. A further example was that whilst the show was nearly 3 hours, the number of songs was considerably less. Elvis didn't really play many of the spinners' requests.

As expected there was only one token male spinner (who gamely got in the cage).

There was very little crowd banter. I suppose it was a bit more difficult to be interactive with a larger audience in a larger arena.

It was good to see Glenn Tilbrook (and his comedy beard :lol: ) and Martin Belmont. There was nothing special in my view about Bible Code Sundays or Russell Crowe. I agree with MOOT that the finale was shambolic.

I wonder if this will end up on the Rants section of Elvis' website :lol:

Still, I'm looking forward to tonight's show and what it might bring!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
verbal gymnastics

One interesting thing Elvis mentioned last night was that they didn't get to Wales this time. Maybe I misheard what he said exactly but it seemed to imply there would be a next time.

It wouldn't surprise me to see another UK leg of this tour maybe next year given that the shows have gone down well and Elvis has said he is not being very creative at the moment.
Man out of Time

Review in the London Evening Standard by Rick Pearson:

Elvis Costello, Albert Hall Review:

Audience members take to the stage to select songs, and Russell Crowe makes a remarkable musical cameo, but it's Costello who proves he's the real master

"Hollywood actor Russell Crowe last night joined Elvis Costello in a remarkable musical cameo. Introduced to the stage by Costello as “the gladiator of guitar”, Crowe proceeded to growl his way through spirited covers of Elvis Presley’s Evil and Johnny Cash’s Folsom Prison Blues. It will do his ego no good to say this, but he’s actually quite a good singer.

Yet this gig was remarkable even before Crowe’s appearance. The middle ground between a rock concert and Wheel of Fortune, the Spinning Songbook tour sees members of the audience take to the stage to spin a gigantic wheel, on which is written 40 of the singer’s best-loved hits. Whichever song the wheel stops on, Costello and his fabulous backing band, the Imposters, will play.

Naturally, this led to an unlikely running order. “We’ve gone to the Catholic part of the show immediately,” groaned the 57-year-old, when the first spin landed on the brooding Stations of the Cross.

But the hits soon came: the punk-pop of Oliver’s Army, bluesy balladry of Alison and ska-tinged Watching the Detectives.

Surprisingly, given the night’s cabaret-style context, some of the best moments were the darkest. Reviving the anti-Thatcher anthem Tramp the Dirt Down, Costello proved the old political fire is still burning bright, while I Want You was a prowling, predatory song on unrequited love.

The rollicking rock’n’roll of (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding brought this epic show to an end. And while Crowe will grab the headlines, it was Costello who was the real master and commander.

Elvis Costello plays the Royal Albert Hall again tonight."

http://www.thisislondon.co.uk/arts/musi ... 84768.html

MOOT
Man out of Time

From the ephemeral world of Celeb-tweets.co.uk:

"Good suggestion for Elvis Costello and Russell Crowe's setlist RT @jeffk70: what did they sing "Maximus Decimus Meridius's Army"

http://www.celeb-tweets.co.uk/tweet/205565927901769728

Presumably this includes reference to "The Boys from the Mersey and the Thames and the Tiber?

Someone who actually understands about Twitter or gives a damn, may be able to explain what relation this remark has to David Baddiel.

Surely we can do better than this? "Just About Gladiator"? American Gangster Time?

MOOT
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I forgot to change the batteries in the flash recorder and it died halfway through PIU (just after the Day tripper quote) so I'm desperate to find the organ solo and PLU recorded somewhere (please !) As the son and brother of 2 grade 8 organ players, I was amused to see Steve concentrating on his feet all the way through his organ part to make sure he didn't step on any false pedal notes - as I remember from my organ recital trips to RAH, the pedal notes really resonate and I'm sure he would have drowned out all five guitarists (and Russell Crowe) if he'd plonked a peg on the wrong note !
VG and I disagreed on the show, I really thought it was great and though I concur that EC was probably saving his voice, it certainly wasn't as weak as at Bristol the night before. He certainly played an awful lot of single songs and I don't think there were any jackpot spins or many double requests. The appearance of Bible Code Sundays and Glenn Tillbrook and Martin Belmont certainly gave me additional thrills (and this was number 7 in a series of 10) and I never thought I'd see FAWTOS live) and that is safely captured !!
Looking forward to what we get tonight, I suggested to Steve in Bristol that Clowntime would sound great on the RAH organ !!!
verbal gymnastics

sulky lad wrote:VG and I disagreed on the show, I really thought it was great...
I seem to be in a real minority here. Perhaps it was because it was the first show in which I've had a drink beforehand!

However, given that I am seen as somewhat of a God on this forum, I think you'll find that my opinion is the only one that really matters :lol: :lol: :lol:
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

Wasn't it Favourite Hour that was once played by Steve on the RAH organ? You are lucky to have seen a show with so many special guests. I was hoping for a local musician at the Nottingham show but maybe Paper Lace were busy that night.
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

And No Coffee Table wrote:
Elvis' bass player is the real life Quagmire !
+1
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

Man out of Time wrote:
Paul B wrote:Here's hoping they sort the sound out before we get there tonight. Who else is going?
The usual crowd will be there again, including Verbal, Sulky Lad, Natasha, The Roofdog (if he can get a ticket), and myself and (I think) So Lacklustre
I won't be there tonight unfortunately, I'm not being allowed out two nights in a row :cry:
Hope a good time is had by all, thanks to those who sent me leads to last minute tickets.
Goon Squad

Post by Goon Squad »

Man out of Time wrote:
The usual crowd will be there again, including Verbal, Sulky Lad, Natasha, The Roofdog (if he can get a ticket), and myself and (I think) So Lacklustre?. We plan to meet up again in "The Goat" on Kensington High Street from about 6pm, if you fancy joining us. The beer is decent, but I cannot promise the same for the conversation.

MOOT
I'm going again tonight , and after last night have really got the buzz for it. Might try and get to The Goat if I can get there early enough. However, I am new to the forum but obviously not to EC , so is it an open "meet" or do you have to be in a select group to come along ? :?
the_roofdog

Post by the_roofdog »

They're a very friendly lot: they even let my friend who isn't a forum member join the circle last night (some say standards are slipping).
so lacklustre

Post by so lacklustre »

I'm not going tonight, will save myself for the Anvil on Sunday where I'm pretty sure the special guests will be Nick Lowe, Bruce Springsteen and Prince.
signed with love and vicious kisses
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

so lacklustre wrote:I'm not going tonight, will save myself for the Anvil on Sunday where I'm pretty sure the special guests will be Nick Lowe, Bruce Springsteen and Prince.
i don't know...you should have gone tonight also SL!! if 5-24-12 is as different as 5-24-11 to the previous night's show, YOU MUST GET THERE! i like your short list for Sunday potential guests. i would dig the PRINCE appearance. 8) 8)