Elvis/Imposters, Bournemouth, May 20, 2012

Pretty self-explanatory
Man out of Time

Elvis/Imposters, Bournemouth, May 20, 2012

Post by Man out of Time »

Elvis and the Imposters bring the Spectacular Spinning Songbook to the cavernous stage of the Bournemouth International Centre on 20 May 2012.

The Bournemouth Echo has not yet learnt to spot the elements of "invention" in Elvis' press releases and has published this excited preview:

Elvis Costello coming to the BIC - and you can select which song he plays!

9:00am Wednesday 26th October 2011

By Patrick Gough »

ELVIS Costello is on his way. One of Britain’s finest singer songwriters has added a Bournemouth date in May next year to his forthcoming UK tour.

Tickets for his concert at the Bournemouth International Centre on Sunday, May 20 go on sale this Friday at 9am. They cost £42.50 and £36.50.

Elvis will bring the Revolver tour to the UK in May 2012.

Members of the audience will be invited to spin a gigantic, vaudevillian wheel and select the next song for Elvis Costello and The Imposters to play on stage.

Fortune may deliver hits such as Oliver’s Army, Watching The Detectives or land on a jackpot selection such as Time and Girl, demanding a sequence of songs, each containing these words.

Such career highlights as Shipbuilding can spin into view alongside hidden gems from the Costello songbook, such as Town Cryer or tunes by The Rolling Stones, Johnny Cash and, of course, Bob Dylan’s This Wheel’s On Fire.

Costello first found fame with the classic debut album My Aim Is True back in 1977 and has produced an astonishing series of starkly different but always creative albums.

Fans are often kept guessing about his next musical direction.

He can switch seemingly effortlessly from bile-spitting anger to sugar-sweet sentiment while rarely compromising on the quality of his output. Over the years he has recorded country, jazz, rock, classical and easy listening albums and worked with everyone from Bob Dylan and Neil Young to Burt Bacharach and The Count Basie Orchestra.

Elvis Costello’s original wheel tour took place in 1986, opening at the Beverly Theatre, Los Angeles with Tom Waits as a guest MC and visiting New York, Paris, Stockholm, Rome, before playing for three nights at the Royal Albert Hall.

Costello donated the original Spinning Songbook wheel to the Hartlepool Museum of Showbusiness Machinery but this new spinning songbook has been reconstructed from the original blueprints.

Preceding the tour will be a limited edition, live box set called The Return Of The Spectacular Spinning Songbook that will be released on December 6.

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/news/9 ... he_plays_/

MOOT
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/Imposters, Bournemouth, May 20, 2012

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

No one ?!?!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Sadly one to miss - too awkward a journey and even I must bow to some family pressure to be around once in my fortnight's holiday !!!
Man out of Time

I think Little Triggers was going to go. I have such a strong memory of the EC/SN show there in 2004 that it put me off going.

That show: http://www.elviscostello.info/wiki/inde ... ournemouth

was probably the worst I have ever seen. EC hardly spoke throughout the whole show. The venue was a barn. Let us hope tonight's show is better.

MOOT
littletriggers

Post by littletriggers »

I'm still undecided it's only 45 minutes down the road, I recently said in another post I would never go to the B.I.C.
I detest these cavernous venues give me the Railway Inn everyday of the week. I'll drive if some one lives near Southampton and wants to go, otherwise pass I think ! Plus I've already spent this weeks pocket money !
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Adrian on Facebook -

Incredible show. 2 hrs 45. Loved every minute.

Chris Did you get in the cage?

Adrian New Alas no! The couple next to us were picked and boogied to New Lace Sleeves together.

Chris Just read a review at the Guardian web site - seems that there is a pretty different selection on the wheel from what it was on the US leg. Harry Worth, Tramp the Dirt Down...

Adrian New Yes. Harry Worth came up tonight. Ttdd isn't on the wheel. It's in the closing part of the set. "it's a song I never thought I'd sing again". It sounded great.
Jocko Wainwright

Post by Jocko Wainwright »

From the web site:

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
Bournemouth, England
May 20th, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart Of The City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio

"Joanna" - Jackpot - Spin 1

Alison - lead by the piano stylings of Mr. Steve Nieve

Please Please Me/No Dancing/Be My Baby - Spin 2

Harry Worth - Spin 3

This Wheel's On Fire/The River In Reverse/On Your Way Down/I"ll Take Care Of You/This Wheel's On Fire - Spin 4

New Lace Sleeves - Spin 5

Greenshirt - IMPROMPTU

Country Darkness - Spin 6

No Particular Place To Go - IMPROMPTU

Veronica - Veronica's Request

Living In Paradise - Spin 7

Watching The Detectives/Help Me - IMPROMPTU

The Hammer Of Songs

Everyday I Write The Book

Chelsea

Beyond Belief

Waiting For The End Of The World

You Belong To Me

Pump It Up

Interlude

A Slow Drag With Josephine - Napoleon Solo

Jimmie Standing In The Rain- Napoleon Solo

Tramp The Dirt Down - with the Imposters

National Ransom No.9

Oliver's Army

Shipbuilding

Peace, Love And Understanding
Man out of Time

A positive review by Cliff Moore in the Bournemouth Echo:

"THE concept of Costello’s Revolver Tour is that punters are invited to spin a giant wheel of fortune and the band plays whichever of the 40-odd tracks the arrow indicates.

The reality is that there’s a fair amount of jiggery pokery going on and we end up hearing the majority of the music we have come to know and love in a near three-hour show.

And it was all fantastic entertainment, with Elvis on fine form, occasionally in a top hat and with a cane, and acting as a cross between an emcee and a circus barker.

The stage of ill-repute was dressed with the giant wheel, a bar, a strongman striker and a go-go cage occasionally filled by the delectable Dixie De La Fontaine.

The Imposters – the incomparable Steve Nieve, Pete Thomas and Davey Faragher – kicked off with a cracking I Hope You’re Happy Now, Heart Of The City, Mystery Dance and Radio Radio blitz.

Then the spinning started.

We had Alison, Please Please Me, Harry Worth and a This Wheel’s On Fire/Be My Baby medley, but some of the lesser known (to me) songs such as Country Darkness and the old B side You Belong To Me really stood out.

Highlights included a lovingly extended Watching The Detectives (with Elvis walking through the auditorium), Every Day I Write The Book, Chelsea, Pump It Up, a perfectly, beautifully performed Shipbuilding and the stomping set closer (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace Love and Understanding. "

http://www.bournemouthecho.co.uk/leisur ... ello_hits/

and another by one Henry Tapper:

Not angry – anymore; Elvis Costello at Bournemouth

"Elvis Costello has been kidding us he isn’t angry since we were in nappies (well I was 16 when he issued ”My Aim is True“). I was also 16 when I walked the length of the Holdenhurst Rd to see him perform on the Stiff Tour at Bournemouth’s Village Bowl and 34 years later I saw him play Bournemouth again. This the Revolver Tour, his band the Imposters (one short of the Attractions).

He set up the show like some 60′s Vaudeville Act complete with a wheel of fortune from which selected members of the audience suggested songs. He swaggered around like a circus ringmaster swinging a cane he claimed had Rupert Murdoch’s head on a pike.

In 1978 I had been pressed to the stage by 2000 pogo-ing punks clad in leather, showering beer, snot and phlegm over my head. Costello played for twenty minutes.

Times have changed, I was politely asked to sit down when I stood to applaud the great man’s arrival. Costello played for two and a half hours.

What a thunderbox of a set he played. Virtually everything from This Year’s Model, large chunks of My Aim is True, Punch the Clock, Imperial Bedroom and that album with the elephants on it which contains Oliver’s Army.

Not everything was perfect. Steve Naive sounded a bit cheesy in the latter stages of Alison, the lack of a lead/rhythm guitar combo hurt Watching the Detectives and we had an overlong Wheels of Fire with a Van Morrison Style Blues inserted in the middle.

Put those minor quibbles aside, medleys such as Please Please Me which morphed into No Dancing and Be My Baby was brilliant. The band of Bruce Thomas and Steve Naive, supported by a suitably low-key session bassman were beat perfect. Thomas’ drumming has lost none of its urgency while Naive has adopted the new technologies at his fingers to produce layers of sound that overcame the four-peice restrictions.

The Imposter performed a remarkable Chuck Berry classic . Costello dragging out a Gibson Super 400 and playing it with some gusto, his playing has improved some since 78.

Throughout Costello was on form - his verbal interplay with the audience suggested that he has finally accepted he can talk as good as he writes. Apparently he’d sung “Chuck Berry” to Leonard Cohen and Chuck Berry at the song-writers awards in Boston (such is the status of the man- I was sorry when he told us “I didn’t win”).

And he seems to have lost all inhibitions with his audience, steaming round the auditorium, dancing with fans in a go-go cage and chatting up the female contestors who turned out all to be his sisters.

It was only the spectre of Margaret Thatcher entered the auditorium that the anger returned.; A stunning final half an hour saw Costello rattling though classics that included Green Shirt, Pump it up as well as the great hymn Ship Building and the angst of Tramp The Dirt Down. He finished with Oliver’s Army and a truly memorable “What’s so Funny Bout Peace Love and Understanding“.

The man is still angry, he’s still got it and if you get a chance to see him on tour, do so -short of Leonard Cohen at the Hop Garden this summer, I don’t expect to see a better gig.

http://henrytapper.com/2012/05/21/not-a ... e-seaside/

If Mr Tapper were a paid journalist, he might be in the habit of checking his copy for factual accuracy (or have someone else do it for him). The line up of The Imposters seems to be something of a mystery to him:

" The band of Bruce Thomas and Steve Naive, supported by a suitably low-key session bassman were beat perfect."

Perhaps he should have bought one of the 12 GBP programmes on sale in the foyer.

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Adrian posts via Facebook-

Hi John.

Here are a few thoughts from the Bournemouth show. I’m not reading any forums at the moment so apologies for any well documented statements of the obvious. Do with this what you will!

I was seated on the wheel side of the stage in row D. The BIC was criminally only half full. The band took the stage at 8.10 and I was immediately worried about his voice which sounded quite hoarse at the start. Newcastle/ Nottingham/ Bournemouth is a tough 3 night run and I feared he wouldn’t be able to last the distance of the 150 minute plus shows he has been playing. He was chewing on something through the first part of the show which must have had some affect as his voice relaxed into the show as time went on. It did continue to break and croak from time to time but made a magnificent noise in the main, allaying my fears.

The first spin of the wheel came up with Joanna which should have sent Pete and Davey off the stage, but EC felt it was too early in the set for that, so we had a full band Alison (the spinners request) which he tried to rearrange on the hoof by waving his arms to Pete to make more space for Steve to solo, but the telepathy wasn’t there so it was a fairly standard band reading of the song with a short piano solo towards the end.

Please Please Me was spun by an overenthusiastic young man who was dancing at the front from Mystery Dance on. He launched himself onto the steps with security trying to stop him, but Elvis said it was OK so up he came, span, and occupied the cage until he was encouraged out after 3 songs.

Harry Worth was the next spin, accompanied by a story about staying at a hotel in Yorkshire and becoming the unwitting guest of a wedding reception. The story of the couple is the story of the song.

I loved the mix of This Wheels on Fire and the River in Reverse songs – a really passionate part of the show.

I was talking to the couple next to us pre-show, and the man had clocked up over 50 EC shows since 1977 at Southampton Gaumont. They were next picked to spin the wheel, and Elvis manipulated their double spin to bring up Country Darkness and New Lace sleeves, their stated requests. They gamely danced in the cage together through New Lace Sleeves, and Greenshirt, then sat at the bar through Country Darkness and No Particular Place to Go. Great story about Chuck Berry, Leonard Cohen and Keith Richards, and the changed time signature reading of the song is still stuck in my head today.

The next spinner announced her name was Veronica. EC asked “Do you want to spin the wheel, or shall we just play it?” “Just play it” she replied, but she span anyway which produced Living in Paradise. After these we got Detectives into Help Me, during which EC came down from the stage, walking around the back of the floor seating and grabbing someone from the front of terrace to come onstage for the hammer of songs, singing all the while. Her choices were EIWTB and Chelsea. During Chelsea there was a big surge of people to dance at the front of the stage, filling up the entire centre aisle and eventually causing all the floor seating to stand to be able to see. So this led to a barrage of Beyond Belief, Waiting for the End of the World, You Belong to Me and Pump it Up which all really tested his slightly fragile voice and brought us up to the 2 hour mark. So even a half-full soul-less barn like the BIC can give rise to the most amazingly passionate party that we got to close the main set. No-one returned to their seats and we all remained standing til the end of the night.

After another couple of fishermans friends (I’m guessing) he came back out in gold jacket and leopardskin hat for the dainty Slow Drag with Josephine and Jimmie Standing in the Rain. It was in Slow Drag that his voice just went a couple of times but he wasn’t put off his stride and hit those final high notes with full conviction and power.

He introduced Tramp the Dirt Down with references to Maggie Thatcher, John Thatcher, Tony Thatcher and now Doris Thatcher (Boris Johnson, Mayor of London). He stated he never thought he would need to play the song again, and I was amazed and delighted to hear it. He started solo but the band quietly returned to the stage and joined in mid-way.

It was only after the second chorus when I realised I was listening to National Ransom, a really dark and brooding reading of the song. Then a pointed Olivers Army, a mighty and passionate Shipbuilding and a rousing Peace Love and Understanding (complete with the 3rd musical reference of I do like to be beside the seaside from Steve) brought the night to a close, at 2 hours and 45 minutes.

It is such an audacious move to follow-up a volley of rock and roll songs with a couple of quiet acoustic vintage numbers and then a volley of political statements, but he did it magnificently keeping the audience with him all the way. And I think this is why the Wheel format suits him so well. It turns on its head the well worn gig format of starting off with some songs from “the new album” before giving the crowd the hits. We had 2 hours of unpredictable playfulness, but then after the break Elvis played the songs he really wanted us to hear. It was an outstanding show and I just wish I could have caught more on the tour.
Little Fool

Post by Little Fool »

It was good to read the post by Adrian. My wife and I were sitting next to him and were fortunate enough to be selected for a wheel spin.
He is right about Elvis constantly chewing something, I think it may have been some form of menthol gum as we could smell it on his breath. It seemed he was chewing throughout the duration of the show which I imagine must have been very difficult.
It was a brilliant show, very mixed, powerful, passionate and at times very gentle and thought provoking.
We really enjoyed our time on stage.
If anyone has any photos we would to see them, until then we are both eagerly awaiting Basingstoke next Sunday.
verbal gymnastics

Post by verbal gymnastics »

johnfoyle wrote:Adrian posts via Facebook-

It was an outstanding show and I just wish I could have caught more on the tour.
I have a female friend who is coming tomorrow night. Elvis kindly personalised a flyer for me after a show once and she was really pleased when I gave it to her.

I told her about the Songbook show, she booked tickets and she's really looking forward to it.

I have warned her how addictive the show is and that she may go straight out after the show and buy a ticket for Thursday.

Let's hope so!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello & the Imposters
Bournemouth International Centre

Having resurrected his Napoleon Dynamite persona to compere this most engaging and illuminating entertainment, Elvis Costello also laid to rest another nom de stage in emphatic style. Much is made of his way with a lyric, a melody, even his stagecraft, but his guitar playing is frequently overlooked. Well, no more, for it is these days a thing of majesty, awesome in directness, fleet of foot and deft of touch. No more can he hide behind the Little Hands of Concrete credit he took on King of America, it simply won’t wash any more.

And neither does any suggestion that Costello can be a prickly performer – three decades ago maybe, but not now. This was pure showmanship.

On stage at eight sharp, Elvis and the Imposters – the incomparable Steve Nieve (keys), the resolute Pete Thomas (drums) and the steadfast Davey Faragher (bass) – broke down the walls of heartache with an opening four song salvo of I Hope You’re Happy Now, Heart of the City, Mystery Dance and Radio Radio. Love and affection indeed!

Then came Napoleon, not in drag, but sporting a top hat and cane to introduce the Spectacular Spinning Songbook – it stood 150 feet high he was heard to claim later – on which were pasted various Costello highlights and mashed up mysteries (Imperial Ransom anyone?) from the last 35 years or so. Having already met Dixie de la Fontaine gyrating in the Hostage to Fortune Go Go Cage, he then thrust forward the fragrant Katya, sending her into the audience to corral spinners for the wheel.

Each one resulted in a song or combination of songs for the Imposters to perform. Thus, it all began with a big hitter – Alison augmented (beautifully) by the sophisticated piano decoration of Mr Nieve – before proceeding through a selection that included Harry Worth, Please Please Me with a segue of No Dancing and a refrain from Be My Baby tagged on the end, a marathon medley comprising This Wheel’s On Fire, The River In Reverse, On Your Way Down and an impassioned I’ll Take Care Of You, before New Lace Sleeves gave way to an a bonus version of Green Shirt, in much the same way as the graceful Country Darkness prompted Elvis to treat us to a version of No Particular Place To Go.

The original, mid-80s version of the Spinning Songbook frequently descended into confusion, but the 21st century Costello is far too accomplished a host (and sober!) to allow that to happen. The Hammer of Songs, a strongman striker, threw up a suitably arresting suite – Everyday I Write the Book, (I Don’t Want To Go To) Chelsea, Beyond Belief, Waiting for the End of the World, You Belong To Me and Pump It Up – to bring an emphatic curtain down on the second wave of merry making.

The third began with the return of Napoleon Dynamite, this time in gold jacket and tiger-striped hat, to serve up a brace of songs from 2010’s National Ranson album – Slow Drag With Josephine and Jimmie Standing in the Rain – that not only amply demonstrate Costello is just as supple a songwriter as he’s always been, but also reveal his voice to be in arguably the best condition of his entire career.

The vicious, angry, bitter, Tory-baiting Tramp the Dirt Down saw the Imposters back on stage and gave way to National Ransom’s burning title track and a final farewell combo of Oliver’s Army, Shipbuilding and a genuinely anthemic (What’s So Funny ’Bout) Peace, Love & Understanding.

The last time he passed this way, accompanied only by Steve Nieve in April 2004, Costello was in comfortably restrained mood, happy enough, affable and absorbing, but he seemed to be treading water.

That Elvis is back in the building with such force and verve should be a source of much joy and happiness. Whatever next?
verbal gymnastics

What next indeed.

Good review.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

verbal gymnastics wrote:What next indeed.
A duet album with Russell Crowe perhaps?
verbal gymnastics

Let's hope so, eh? :shock:
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

Hello fellow Elvis Costello fans,

I'm new to this forum, but have been a fan of EC's music since my teenage years (quite a long time ago)! I was at the Bournemouth show and had the time of my life, so I've joined this forum to connect with other fans of Elvis.

Here is my review of the concert. Sorry if it's a bit lengthy, but I'm not very good at succinct.

I went to the concert with a friend who has been an avid fan for years, and has all of EC's old records on vinyl. I have to admit I wasn't familiar with all the songs EC played during the concert, as he has a back catalogue extending over 35 years, but it was fantastic hearing all the old hits - Oliver's Army (pure genius), Watching the Detectives, Accidents Will Happen, Alison, Pump it Up, I write the Book... so many great songs.

It was really lovely to watch was the way Elvis treated his fans. Several of them were invited on the stage and were given chance to spin a special giant wheel, which had all the song titles written on them and ostensibly was the method for choosing the next song, depending on which song the arrow ended up pointing to. In effect, I think much of the set list was already chosen, as more than once Elvis "cheated" by pushing the wheel on a couple of notches to certain songs that either the fan or he had chosen to be next.

Quite a few of the female fans took the opportunity to hug and kiss Elvis when they were let onto the stage, which he seemed to enjoy very much, and he even spun one lady round and round in a mini waltz kind of way, before deftly disentangling himself to carry on with the show.

We had first row tickets, so the view was great. It turned out that we had one of EC's most long standing and keen male fans sat right behind us, with his family. At first glance he seemed to be little more than a boy, as he was so enthusiastic and excited, then quickly got out of his seat and was dancing around in front of us, singing every word to every song, while security looked a bit bemused and seemed undecided whether to let this carry on. Elvis then invited him on the stage with him, saying something like "As you've been leading the charge from the front, come on up here!" He ended up on stage, dancing in the special cage for about 3 songs, then when he came off stage and returned to his seat I took the chance to give him a "high five" and say "Great work!" because I love that sort of enthusiasm! :D

For the last few songs Elvis beckoned for everybody to get up on their feet and we rushed to the front, managing to get to within a few feet of the great man! After about 90 mins EC and the band left the stage in a sort of mock departure, but we just knew he'd be back for an encore! After a few mins EC returned on stage alone, wearing a different jacket and said something like "Now the real part of the show gets going!" then he sang about 3 songs solo, playing his guitar, with no back up, as the band were off stage having a rest! In some ways I liked that part of the show best, as at earlier points some of the drumming etc. had been a bit overloud and drowned out EC's voice (which is still stong - I just think the sound engineers hadn't got the balance quite right).

The band then rejoined EC and this "encore" lasted nearly another hour! I couldn't believe the length of time the concert lasted - over 2 and a half hours! This from a man of 57 years old! What a legend!

When the show finally ended and the lights came up, I got speaking to the "boy" who was clearly EC's number 1 fan of the night. On closer inspection it turned out that he was about 40 and he said he'd been to his first EC concert back in 1981! He and his family had been given back stage passes! What a result! Well, I was wondering if we could manage to get backstage too! My friend's husband said "You've NO chance, you haven't got a backstage ticket!" but still I was determined to try my luck. I chatted with the family and various security guards, pleading with people to let us backstage to meet EC and explaining that my friend had been a fan for over 30 years etc. My friend and her husband started to make their way towards the exit, but I went in the opposite direction, following the "golden ticket holders" through the door. In the corridor the security guard said I wouldn't get any further as I hadn't got a ticket, but I just loitered around, and as the chosen few were led into a room to wait for EC, the boyish fan I'd spoken to earlier tossed his golden ticket onto the ground behind him and gave me a look which said "pick it up, quick!" and I pounced on the ticket, then was able to pass through the door with the others! :D

The room just had a few chairs and tables in, but it wasn't set up for any kind of party and one rather tipsy guy was bemoaning the fact that there were no beers on offer. He said he wouldn't have bothered coming backstage if he'd realised there'd be no drink! Anyway, about 20 of us waited patiently, and all the time I was talking to the security staff, desperately trying to gain admittance for my friend! I rang her on her mobile and she was really happy I'd managed to make it to the room, so was happy to wait for me. I kept working on the security guard but he wouldn't cave in, although he did reveal he'd seen the other guy drop his ticket for me and had let that go, but couldn't let anybody else in.

After about 15 mins EC appeared! He'd changed into casual clothes and a big overcoat and scarf and started signing tickets and posing with fans for photos! After a little while I moved forward and got my ticket signed! I explained to him that my friend was outside, she is a huge fan and I'd been trying desperately to get her backstage to meet him. I actually asked him if he could ask the security guard to let her in! (I'm SO cheeky!) Unfortunately EC said there was nothing he could do as he had nothing to do with security, but he was very kind and put his arm around me, holding me close as somebody took our picture together! What a lovely man!

We had such a great time at the concert that we've now got tickets to see him at Cornbury - I can't wait!

PS: I suspect that the "boyish" fan I mentioned above is probably a member of this forum. I have a nice photo of him, talking to Elvis, so if you are that man then please send me a PM or identify yourself here, as I would love to send you the picture and thank you properly for being so kind to me after the concert.
verbal gymnastics

Thanks for your post.

So were these people with golden tickets the ones who purchased the VIP experience?
Wolverinefan

Post by Wolverinefan »

I'm not sure... I'm feeling a bit guilty now though, in case they had paid for the "VIP experience" and I somehow got part of that experience without paying extra! :oops: Some of the people who got invited on stage to spin the wheel were then given backstage tickets, but then again some of the people who went on stage were not in that room afterwards, so it's all a bit puzzling. :?: Also, a couple of the blokes mentioned they'd only managed to get backstage as they knew people who worked there and they had also been given the actual concert tickets free, so I guess sometimes it's just a case of knowing the right people.