Elvis & The Imposters, Dublin, May 9 '12

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Re: Elvis/'Spinning/Dublin, May 9 '12 -promo. interview

Post by johnfoyle »

No, I will not be going to any of the other shows. I can't afford it for a start. There's also the matter of my scepticism about the 'Spinning format. It worked, just about, for me in the one outing. The fact that Elvis recycled nearly all of the 'ad libs' that accounts tell us were used in the shows last year indicates that it will be more of the same this time and I'd probably go bonkers from all the repitition. Seeing the six Brodsky dates in nine days in '09 has definitely cured me such excessive show going. When he started to tell that 'Arnie in the restaraunt' story yet again in Bristol I was , as MOOT who was sitting next to me will verify, blocking my ears and humming to stop me hearing it!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Elvis Costello - National Ransom No 9, mp3 , Dublin 2012 http://t.co/0GSBUIkm
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

I'm loving this latest version of NR.

Must have been amazing in person!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Another review, this one by Seán Cullivan on Goldenplec.com

"Plenty old, some new, a few borrowed, and a couple blues. The giant wheel accompanying Elvis Costello and The Imposters on their Revolver Tour popped up with plenty of classics on Wednesday night. A packed O2 was treated to a mammoth set clocking in at just under three hours by the magnificent entertainer that is Elvis Costello, backed on the night by a three piece incarnation of The Imposters. Drawing on songs from every corner of his career, showcasing his influences, and engaging the crowd with wit, humour, and charm, Costello was in terrific form.

The spinning songbook idea behind the Revolver Tour worked brilliantly in the O2, a pair of beautiful assistants plucking people at random from the audience and getting them onstage to spin the giant wheel and then have a seat or dance while the band tore into their selection. With songs such as (I Don’t Want To) Go To Chelsea, Alison, Oliver’s Army, She, Watching the Detectives, Pump it Up, and Everyday I Write The Book there was plenty of dancing done by audience members onstage and in the seats. Costello’s overall showmanship was also to the fore throughout, with some great witty musings and a strong willingness to engage with his audience at all times.

Paying tribute to some of his heroes, covers of songs by Nick Lowe, The Beatles, George Jones, and Johnny Cash cropped up during the set and there was even time for three great solo acoustic blues tunes from Costello himself. A five song encore including (What’s So Funny ‘Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding and Prince’s Purple Rain wrapped up with a blistering, extended workout on I Want You, a brilliant end to the night’s entertainment."

http://www.goldenplec.com/review-elvis- ... at-the-o2/

Is there anything other than a "three piece incarnation" of The Imposters, unless you start counting the lady with the musical saw?

MOOT
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Photos-

http://www.hotpress.com/photos/photo_st.php?id=8903275

http://www.hotpress.com/8925782.html?new_layout=1

Elvis Costello And The Imposters, Live At The O2

This Wheel was certainly on fire!

Colm O Hare, 28 May 2012

You have to hand it to Elvis Costello! With a vast body of consistently high-quality work stretching back 35 years, he has solved the problem of how to present it, without resorting to the usual tired mix of greatest-hits-and-plugging-the-new-album scenario. The Spectacular Spinning Songbook – which he has revived from the mid 1980s – is a game of chance in which everybody wins. The idea is simple: song titles are written in garish colours on a giant wheel of fortune and audience members are invited (or in some cases, press-ganged) into spinning it.

That’s the theory – and on the night, with a bevy of leggy, “lovely girls” on hand and a stage-set that is part cheesy lounge, part Vegas, but more workman’s club on bingo night, he delivered a set that pleased die-hards and casual fans alike.

Dressed in a check suit and bowler hat, he looked like a song-and-dance man from a 1930s music hall variety show, but when he donned the Fender Jazzmaster for the likes of ‘Radio Radio’, ‘Hi-Fidelity’, ‘Pump It Up’ and ‘I Don’t Want To Go To Chelsea’, he sounded just as ferocious as the angry young man who was once described as “looking like Buddy Holly after drinking a can of STP”.

Of course, rules are made to be broken and Elvis did just that more than once tonight, as when a girl “spinner” said she really wanted the wheel to stop at ‘Good Year For The Roses’. She was out of luck but he did it anyway, on the basis that “you can’t turn down a lady’s request, can you?” When the wheel stops at ‘Happy’, he plays several from the seminal Get Happy album, including, ‘I Can’t Stand Up Falling Down’, while ‘Joanna’ of course wasn’t an EC song but cockney rhyming-slang for “piano” – a cue for his long-time sidekick, the great Steve Nieve, to pick a tune or two. He chose a pair of gems in ‘I Still Have That Other Girl’ from Costello’s overlooked collaboration with Burt Bacharach, and the Charles Aznevour hit ‘She‘ from the Notting Hill soundtrack. Other highlights on this hugely entertaining and at times very funny evening, included the McCartney collaboration ‘Veronica’, a soulful ‘Everyday I Write The Book’ and the evergreen ‘Alison’. He ended proceedings with his incendiary version of Nick Lowe’s ‘What’s So Funny About Peace Love and Understanding’. But Elvis hadn’t quite left the building and with the stage drenched in blood red lights, he finally finished up with an extended ‘I Want You’, which was as intense and powerful as ever.

This Wheel was certainly on fire tonight!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

Everyday I Write The Book -- http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kf-Bg48zevY
sweetest punch wrote:Oliver's Army: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z-_UU-7kUdw
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.