Just five min shy of 3 hours
Also did crying time, funny valentine, please please me, no particular
place, possession, temptation
Jeremy Dylan

Re: Elvis Costello & The Impostors - Durham NC, April 29 '12

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

docinwestchester wrote:
And No Coffee Table wrote:I haven't found many details on Twitter so far:
Elvis Costello opens with a favorite, I Hope You're Happy Now.
Elvis Costello has covered most of my bitter girl playlist. #awesome
And then we got Oliver's Army
Jeremy Dylan's not tweeting?
I turn my phone off during gigs, unlike many of the people standing near me, who seemed to fancy themselves the next Danny Clinch with their iPhones.

Epic seems an appropriate adjective to describe the show. They opened with I Hope You're Happy Now and closed with Please Please Me. Many songs in between. The show ran for about three hours - the stamina of the Imposters is remarkable.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Set List:

I Hope You're Happy Now
Heart of the City
Mystery Dance
Radio Radio
Spin 1: No Particular Place to Go
Spin 2: Happy Jackpot-
I Can't Stand Up for Falling Down
High Fidelity
Possession (!)
Temptation
Spin 3: Veronica
Bedlam
Country Darkness
Payday
Cry Cry Cry
Spin 4: Oliver's Army
Watching the Detectives
Hammer of Songs: My Funny Valentine (!)
Alison
Everyday I Write the Book
Slow Drag With Josephine
Jimmy Standing in the Rain
Meanest Gal in Town
Indoor Fireworks
New Lace Sleeves
Spin 5: Time Jackpot
Crying Time
Strict Time
Night Time
Out of Time
Spin 6: Girl Jackpot
Girls Talk
This Year's Girl
Beyond Belief
National Ransom
Clubland
Peace Love and Understanding
Pump It Up
Please Please Me

What a show! My Funny Valentine was such a treat. He was in great voice. Only 6 or 7 people outside for signings, etc. Got my NR CD signed by Davey, Pete, and EC.
Last edited by pophead2k on Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:15 am, edited 1 time in total.
migdd

Post by migdd »

Wow! Best setlist of the tour, thus far! What a show this must have been!
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

The cover Pophead mentioned was Jesse Winchester's Payday.

Dave
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

Dave and Elvis.jpg
Dave and Elvis.jpg (209.95 KiB) Viewed 26327 times
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Very cool setlist!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.facebook.com/JimLauderdaleMovie

Jim Lauderdale: The King of Broken Hearts

First interview of the trip is wrapped - Elvis Costello is a champion talker. 'A plot was hatched to build a band...' he says. — with Jeremy Dylan and Elvis Costello.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

Elvis Costello spins through Durham
By David Menconi

DURHAM -- Over the decades, I've been happy to follow Elvis Costello's many detours down tangential musical byways, from country stringbands to classical string quartets. I've admired, respected and enjoyed most all of it. But I must confess that what still gets my heart beating fast are the rage-steeped poison-pen songs from his old revenge-and-guilt period -- especially when played by a loud-and-fast quartet like the one he brought to Durham Performing Arts Center Sunday night.

It was a spectacular show with three-dozen songs clocking in at just under three hours, played by a band featuring longtime Costello veterans Steve Nieve on keyboards and drummer Pete Thomas bashing away. The set drew heavily from the old days, too, starting with "I Hope You're Happy Now" and ending with an encore including "Clubland," "Pump It Up" and "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love and Understanding."

Yet it was hardly one-dimensional. Instrumentation featured everything from Theremin to ukulele, and the wide-ranging song selection included covers by the likes of Buck Owens, Chuck Berry and Booker T & the MG's. As always, Costello offered a veritable musicology lesson about his own catalog. At one point as the band vamped on Booker T's soul instrumental "Time Is Tight," Costello noted that he had turned that riff into his 1980 song "Temptation" -- and sang it to demonstrate.

Sunday's show was vastly different from Costello's previous Triangle appearance in 2009, when he brought a six-piece country band to Cary's Booth Amphitheatre and played an Englishman's take on Americana. This band was stripped down and so was Costello, who appeared slimmer and fitter than he's been in years.

This was the final U.S. date of Costello's tour featuring "The Spectacular Spinning Songbook," a great onstage gimmick. The setup included a go-go dancer, a television showing static ("As you can see, we keep the TV tuned to Fox News at all times," Costello quipped), a high striker and a huge wheel of fortune with several dozen song titles, topics and themes.

Four songs in, Costello put on a black tophat, took up a cane and went into a carney rap as the band played Blood Sweat & Tears' "Spinning Wheel." That was the setup for audience members to come onstage, spin the wheel and determine the next song.

You'd think that might result in a set with no sense of flow or transition. But it was hugely entertaining, in part because of the canny structure of each spin suggesting groupings of songs. One audience member (who brought along two vinyl albums he made Costello sign onstage) spun to "Happy," and the band obliged with three songs from Costello's "Get Happy" album.

Mostly, though, the format worked because Costello is a terrific and witty showman, and he kept things moving right along. His song introductions were as entertaining as the performances, especially one story about meeting Johnny Cash and another about playing "No Particular Place to Go" for an audience including Berry, Keith Richards and Leonard Cohen.

One audience spinner was a young woman in a red dress that appeared to be spray-painted on, and she did an impressive dance routine in the go-go cage along to "Veronica." Another young woman requested "My Funny Valentine," which appeared to just melt her; she sat onstage quietly weeping as Costello played it.

Costello was the band's sole guitarist Sunday night, and he put in plenty of six-string heroics. Nieve and Thomas also played well, although the keyboards didn't seem loud enough in the mix for much of the show. And bassist Davey Faragher's backup vocals were on-point and just-right throughout.

Even with the spinning-wheel format, few of Costello's standards went missing. By the end of the night, he'd included "Allison," "Watching the Detectives" and "Everyday I Write the Book." He made 'em all sound brand now.
migdd

Post by migdd »

johnfoyle wrote:http://www.facebook.com/JimLauderdaleMovie

Jim Lauderdale: The King of Broken Hearts

First interview of the trip is wrapped - Elvis Costello is a champion talker. 'A plot was hatched to build a band...' he says. — with Jeremy Dylan and Elvis Costello.
J-E-R-E-M-Y!!!
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

Jeremy the human chameleon blending into the wheel with the famous jacket. I wouldn't have been surprised to see a National Ransom track on each sleeve to drop hints! Looks like they put on a splendid show for you. I was desperately hoping Possession would make an appearance in the UK ! Any recording out there ?
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Another great show in North Carolina. Maybe I should move here.

Elvis was in great voice and the band was hot. Nice sound quality, though I basically had a front row seat and so was hearing the stage monitors too.
Things seemed to be more improvised this time, there were a lot of audibles called by Elvis, often at the spinners' requests. He had a lot of people choose their own song, which led to songs not on the wheel.
Temptation was way off the cuff. Elvis had just done a three song set from Get Happy!! , and the next spinner was the young woman with the dress "painted on", according to the newspapers. The guys were playing Temptation in the vamp section, as she came up. Elvis told her that her outfit fit the song they were playing. She spun Bedlam, but Elvis moved it to Joker. She took a while to pick a song (she wanted one not on the wheel), so Elvis started singing Temptation with the band, on a hand mike only, eventually dancing around the stage with the contestant while swinging his cane. It was a hoot.
My Funny Valentine was also a special request, and I think the contestant asked for it in honor of someone she'd lost; it was very moving to see her weeping as he played it solo on electric guitar.
I was really shocked to hear Night Time. He said they hadn't played it in a long time, but I'm pretty sure this was the first time ever! I bet he plays it in the UK.
They threw National Ransom 9 in there, it was a lot like the solo version from the Far East last year. I really preferred the one they were doing last fall.
Sad not to hear Hitlers or King Horse, but who can complain about this set. And just when I was giving up on it, he played Please Please Me, AFTER PLU and Pump.
pophead2k

Post by pophead2k »

MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Looking good, Jeremy. When are you coming to the Bay Area? Jim Lauderdale plays at Rancho Nicasio when he is in town. We need to "hook up"... I'm mean meet up if you ever make it to the Bay Area. You know, both being EC fans and all... Don't worry, I'm not THAT crazy... swear.
krm

Post by krm »

This looks very promising for the UK and european shows! I am so happy my roadtrip is planned and payed for already
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Another young woman requested "My Funny Valentine," which appeared to just melt her; she sat onstage quietly weeping as Costello played it.

What an inspired choice. Finally, an audience member chooses a song that a die hard fan (like some of us, for example) might have chosen. Please let there have been a taper in the audience.

You guys in the UK are in for a treat!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

That set list does look amazing. Would have loved to hear Possession and My Funny Valentine
FAVEHOUR wrote:Elvis was in great voice and the band was hot. Nice sound quality, though I basically had a front row seat and so was hearing the stage monitors too.
Things seemed to be more improvised this time, there were a lot of audibles called by Elvis, often at the spinners' requests. He had a lot of people choose their own song, which led to songs not on the wheel.
Temptation was way off the cuff.
Totally agree about the show being more improvised, from the songs he chose to play at certain times ( I don't think he meant to play Alison off-mic in Jacksonville but he just went ahead and did it) to even the comments on each wheel spinner. He was quite funny throughout each show.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

strangerinthehouse wrote:That set list does look amazing. Would have loved to hear Possession and My Funny Valentine
FAVEHOUR wrote:Elvis was in great voice and the band was hot. Nice sound quality, though I basically had a front row seat and so was hearing the stage monitors too.
Temptation was way off the cuff.
Totally agree about the show being more improvised, from the songs he chose to play at certain times ( I don't think he meant to play Alison off-mic in Jacksonville but he just went ahead and did it) to even the comments on each wheel spinner. He was quite funny throughout each show.
Yes, he was very funny, a lot of new jokes and a lot of on-the-spot reactions that were really funny. He seemed to be really enjoying himself!
Azmuda

Post by Azmuda »

My Funny Valentine / Alison / Everyday I Write The Book:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4P-PGld4ts
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

MOJO wrote:Looking good, Jeremy. When are you coming to the Bay Area? Jim Lauderdale plays at Rancho Nicasio when he is in town. We need to "hook up"... I'm mean meet up if you ever make it to the Bay Area. You know, both being EC fans and all... Don't worry, I'm not THAT crazy... swear.
I'll be in California later this week, but not the Bay Area unfortunately. I'm spending two days in LA, then down to Joshua Tree / Pioneertown.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

Jeremy - The Bay Area is Lauderdale country, you must visit so I can uh... Explore... and uh, ask questions about your doc. work... Yeah, that's right.. Explore the wonders of your piece of art/work...

Enjoy Pioneertown. Check out Bourdain's piece on the town if you havent already. I guess you'll be hitting Pappy's & Harriets? Don't forget Jumbo rock and the shrooms... Not that Im Promoting that at all, just seems like a good place to go if you want to space out a bit. I, of course, have no experience in those kind of outings.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

A Slow Drag With Josephine / Jimmy Standing In The Rain: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Q7xNRZXKOVI
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.