Have you spun the Spectacular Spinning Songbook?

Pretty self-explanatory
verbal gymnastics

Have you spun the Spectacular Spinning Songbook?

Post by verbal gymnastics »

Thanks to new member Beyond Belief for this idea.

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... 9#p7689499

Are you a Board member that's spun the Spectacular Spinning Songbook?

If so, please let us know about your experience!
Who’s this kid with his mumbo jumbo?
bronxapostle

Re: Have you spun the Spectacular Spinning Songbook?

Post by bronxapostle »

not yet, tomorrow???
automattick

Post by automattick »

I Spun the wheel and met the King!

I drove from Prineville Oregon to Reno to see Elvis with hopes of spinning the wheel. I bragged all the way (450 miles) that I would be chosen.... We got to the concert and were having a great time. Katy Valentina Valentine (the girl who was chosing spinners from the audience) passed by me two rows ahead. Of course I yelled "Pick ME!" to no avail... It wa fun watching average people going on stage and spinning the wheel. The music was awesome.

I was lost in a song when I felt a tap on my shoulder. When I turned, to my suprise it was Ms. Valentine asking me if I would like to spin the wheel!! Of course I said YES! My sister-in-law who is also a big Elvis fan was looking happy for me, but sad for herself so I asked Katy if she could go too, which she said sure. At the end of the current song Elvis looked for Katy and said bring up the next spinner! We went on stage, I shook hand with the King, said hello. He asked me my name and asked me if I had a favorite song. I said that I had named my first daughter Allison. He anounced that to the crowd and there was great applause! We spun the wheel and landed on "Joanna" which he explained rhimed with "Piano" which means the song was a piano and vocal song. I got to set on stage 10 feet in front of Steve Nieve and 5 feet from Elvis while he sang "Shot with his own gun". I would have gotten in the go-go cage but the song was too slow for that.

On my way back to my seat many Elvis fans were high five me. What a great time!

I also got very lucky that a professional photographer happened to be at the concert and caught a few photos of us on stage! Thanks to Scott Butner for the pictures!!
Attachments
5702644378_84bf0506d3_z.jpg
5702644378_84bf0506d3_z.jpg (144.25 KiB) Viewed 20802 times
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Great story, automattick. Good pic too.

Are there no tapers in Reno? I'd like to hear the song you spun!
automattick

Post by automattick »

My wife was able to video some of this with her camera although it is very low quality. The battery went dead part way through the song. I'll try to get it and post.
verbal gymnastics

Thanks for your posting.

Anybody else - roll up roll up and share share share. Don't be shy now!
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Where's Paola? Anybody in NYC know Paola? We want Paola's story now!
automattick

Post by automattick »

I would like to UL a vid of my wheel spin... What video format is allowed here?
Beyond Belief

Post by Beyond Belief »

Thanks for sharing your story, automattick. I could really sense the excitement of the moment! Memories for a lifetime! I'm not sure about the mechanics of video posting, but I'm sure someone will provide advice for that.
automattick

Post by automattick »

OK This link should take you to the video of when I met the King!! If i'd have know I was going to meet Elvis, I would have bought my wife a better camera....

http://youtu.be/o-u1p-ZOmGI
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

See Charlotte NC 7-16-11 topic

I think it's http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB2 ... 2&start=25

Dave
verbal gymnastics

It seems like a good time to resurrect this thread...
EC Dancer

Post by EC Dancer »

I was chosen last Saturday night in Windsor to spin the wheel and I got to dance to 4 songs!!! What a thrill! I have been going to EC shows since 1978 and this was a dream come true! My only regret was that he knew I was a long time fan and asked me if there was something more obscure that I would like to hear that wasn't on the wheel and I could not think fast enough in the moment! The lights were so bright that I could not even see the front row. All I could say was that I wanted him to sing the rainbow because i new that Red Shoes, Green Shirt, Almost Blue and Purple Rain would be on there! In hindsight I am thinking of all kinds of songs I would have chosen. Psycho would have been one although I am not sure I could dance to that one.

I ended up spinning the "Time" jackpot and got to dance to Strict Time, Man Out of Time (which is one of my all time favorites), Crying Time and Out of Time! I was also wearing my rhinestone ELVIS belt buckle!

Was anyone there? Did you take any pics or video? My friend took about 10 blurry pics!!!
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Good for you EC !

There are loads of photos from Windsor in this thread-

http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=9317
EC Dancer

Post by EC Dancer »

The professional photographers were only allowed to shoot for the first 3 songs. I am looking for songs 5-8. Anyone out there got some?
verbal gymnastics

Great post EC Dancer. I love that Elvis recognised you and asked for an obscurity. Shame you didn't deliver though :lol:
migdd

Post by migdd »

So, vg, if you were in this situation, which obscurity would you choose? This is a test. :wink:

It may just happen!
verbal gymnastics

migdd wrote:So, vg, if you were in this situation, which obscurity would you choose? This is a test. :wink:
How did you know This is a test would be the obscurity I would choose? :lol:

Elvis, if you or your people are reading this, my choice is All the Rage.

In case you need any help, it starts 1,2,3,2,2,3...

Of course if I were to be chosen I'd probably win the UK's dorkiest dancer competition and sulky or MOOT will have filmed it and put it on YouTube for everyone to see. :lol:
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

I promise ! :lol:
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

So here's my story from the show: My fiance got me tix for the Hardrock show for Christmas and we flew down to Fla. from NYC Wednesday morning. Seats were 3rd row right, and my fiance made a hat with a replica wheel on it. I saw Katerina siting on the side next to our row during the first few songs and managed to make eye contact and point to my fiance and Katerina smiled. Sure enough, she comes over and asks my fiance to do the first spin. I grabbed my fiance's hand and tried to tag along on stage as a couple, but Katrina said only one person was allowed. I pleaded but reluctantly went back to my seat and my fiance went up by herself. As I video'd, she interacted with Elvis. He asked what song she wanted to hear and she said her favorite was "Beyond Belief." She then spun the wheel. It came up "Stella Hurt," but Elvis tweaked in one space so it landed on Chelsea. They then played Chelsea, followed by Beyond Belief and Waiting for the End of the World. It was surreal as I watched by fiance dance in the cage and then EC hopped in with her to dance! Such a fun experience, although I was more than a little jealous. I guess if I were a hot girl, it could have been me up there lol.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer
snapyou

Post by snapyou »

Well I"ve got a fourth row aisl seat for Glasgow so may go for it. Probably end up too tongue tied to choose a song.
I'm taking bets that Psycho will be played in Glasgow. :?
verbal gymnastics

Bump!

I know TOBYROME has spun the wheel as he says so in the Birmingham thread:
TOBYROME wrote:
verbal gymnastics wrote:5. there was a father/daughter double spin. Bedlam was chosen by the father. It was a great choice. Elvis joined them and played in the cage which looked very cosy!
What a great night, I'm the Hammer Guy, my eldestest daughters first Elvis gig and she gets to join him on stage with her dad, it's surreal.

My youngest daughter was actually picked but nerves got the better of her, she's seen EC before at Warwick Arts Centre 2005. She said her heart would explode if she went on stage!

We'd love some pics of us swinging the hammer, unfortunately we are hidden from shot on the Youtube of No Particular Way To Go. Homefully more posts will come through.

Motel Matches has always been a favourite and I would of chosen Country Darkness if i'd spotted it. Pete and Dave gave an appreciative nod to my Bedlam choice, but I should of guessed this rythmic number would result in a trip to the cage, with Elvis, truely amazing.
Roll up roll up!
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

It seems to help if you are female and/or grab Elvis when he goes walkabout during "Talking in the Dark".

At the Brighton Centre, a young guy in front of me who had been dancing enthusiastically throughout the show (and who was sitting on the aisle) was picked by Katerina Valentina Valentine to be the next spinner. The guy then sat on the front row for at least half an hour before she could get him up on stage, Elvis in the meantime having found two or three women who jumped the "queue".

Katerina is good at what she does. If I compare how she manages the spinners with how it used to be on the original songbook tour, where spinner management was more Paddy's domain, and ended once they got on stage, it all works a lot better. She is good at giving people confidence to get up in the cage, and at having them in the right place at the right time.

MOOT
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

There seems to be one slot for a male contestant, unaccompanied by his wife/girlfriend. It's usually the 2nd or 3rd spin, and I think it helps if you are on the aisle and acting enthusiastic. I think I got picked last summer because I was on the aisle and I had been enthusiastically clapping and bopping along to the This Wheel's On Fire medley beforehand.

I don't know if I told this story before, but when the show started and EC was doing the initial salvo of songs, I was thrilled at my sight lines and the great sound, and then the women sitting behind me started chatting loudly. My heart sank, as there's nothing like talkative people near you to ruin a show. I thought of turning around to give them a dirty look, but reconsidered. I said to myself, oh come on, it's the beginning of the show, they're fans too, let it go.

A few minutes later, the woman behind me stepped onstage to do the first spin. She had been talking to Katerina!

If I had been mean and turned around, I bet Katerina would not have brought me up a while later!

Dave