johnfoyle

Elvis/Imposters, San Francisco, April 15 '12

Post by johnfoyle »

Who's going?
ramalama

Re: Elvis/Imposters, San Francisco, April 15 '12

Post by ramalama »

Pass.

Maybe it's just me, but I find the wheel too confining despite the discretion to stray from any particular selection. Plus, it spoils the joyous tension of how far into the number it takes me to figure out which song it is.

Instead, given a new album to study in advance, I'd have been all over that show.
Ken(adian)

Post by Ken(adian) »

ramalama wrote:Pass.
Maybe it's just me, but I find the wheel too confining despite the discretion to stray from any particular selection. Plus, it spoils the joyous tension of how far into the number it takes me to figure out which song it is.
Instead, given a new album to study in advance, I'd have been all over that show.
I have no idea what you mean :-) , but I'll be there!

Cheers.
Ken(adian)
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

Previews -

http://events.sfgate.com/san_francisco_ ... -imposters

http://www.sfexaminer.com/local/good-da ... waterfront

A gang of EC listserv members are meeting up pre-show -
....it looks like the meet up will begin 5:30-ish at John's Grill, the home of the Maltese Falcon (one of them at any rate). Just in case, it's at 63 Ellis Street between Powell and Stockton.

http://www.johnsgrill.com/
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

http://instagr.am/p/JdFu53tOPs/
#ElvisCostello wheel is being built! Tickets available at the door tonight! #thewarfield

migdd

Post by migdd »

Really? No reports from this show?
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

I'm not finding much on Twitter besides blurry and/or distant photos. It looks like the mysterious "Big Hoo Small Boo" was spun though.
tex

Post by tex »

please please me , out of time , ramble on rose , a chuck berry song, a song i've not heard before + the usual suspects.
sound as good as one can hope for from the warfield. all in all nearly perfect, got my hopes up by speaking about leonard cohen but went with chuck berry instead.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

Elvis Costello & The Imposters
San Francisco, CA
April 15th, 2012

Overture - featuring the former Mother Superior of Our Lady of Perpetual Torment, Dixie De La Fontaine
Lipstick Vogue
Watching The Detectives/Help Me
The Spectacular Spinning Songbook
Turpentine - Spin 1
"Big Boo Small Hoo" - Jackpot - Spin 2
Big Tears
Town Cryer
Little Triggers
Everyday I Write The Book - Spin 3
Episode Of Blonde - Spin 4
"Time" - Jackpot - Spin 5
Strict Time
Man Out Of Time
Out Of Time
Beyond Belief - Spin 6
Stella Hurt - Spin 7
No Particular Place To Go - Spin 8
Country Darkness - IMPROMPTU
His Latest Flame - IMPROMPTU
Bedlam - Spin 9
Deep Dark Truthful Mirror - Spin 10
Motel Matches - IMPROMPTU
Please Please Me - IMPROMPTU
Interlude
I've Been Wrong Before
The Hammer Of Songs
"Happy" - Jackpot
I Can't Stand Up For Falling Down
High Fidelity
Mystery Dance - IMPROMPTU
Uncomplicated - IMPROMPTU
Radio Radio - IMPROMPTU
Chelsea - IMPROMPTU
"Roses" - Spin 11 - Napoleon's Spin
Good Year For The Roses
Poisoned Rose
Ramble On Rose
Finale
Peace, Love And Understanding
FAVEHOUR

Post by FAVEHOUR »

Aha! So it was "Boo Hoo"!

But isn't it "Big Hoo, Small Boo" on the Wheel?

Dave
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i wonder if RAMBLE ON ROSE was just a "San Francisco treat" for the Grateful Dead crowd or if it will stick around.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

bronxapostle wrote:i wonder if RAMBLE ON ROSE was just a "San Francisco treat" for the Grateful Dead crowd or if it will stick around.
If I had to guess, I would say the latter.
It seemed like it had been worked on a bit.
Maybe not.

But it was really good.
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

i should have known Dr. L would answer me.... :lol: :lol: :lol:
maybe he'll get "IT MUST HAVE BEEN THE ROSES" and/or "RUN FOR THE ROSES" worked out too. am i missing any??
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Well, this one was nice because it was full band.
EC can do any old song with an acoustic -- but this had some bite to it.

I'm no huge DeadHead or anything, but I really liked this one.
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

Largely positive review by Jonathan Kiefer in SF Weekly.

Elvis Costello and the Imposters
Sunday, April 15, 2012
The Warfield

Better than: Sunday night cartoons.

You should know that your reviewer was not, at first, a fan: "So he sings with that voice on purpose?" Pretty rich coming from an apologist for both Donald Fagen and Geddy Lee. But this was long ago, in high school, with much yet to be learned. That first Elvis Costello exposure, tellingly proselytized by a pal with a perfect verbal on the S.A.T., came again to mind Sunday night at the Warfield, entrance to which required passing through the adolescence-redolent Market Street scene of chess masters sitting solemnly in clouds of skunky weed smoke and b.o.

Furthermore, your reviewer was coming from a genteel and soporific wine country weekend, admittedly fighting an urge to just stay in and watch Family Guy. But from the early looks of the Warfield crowd, so was everybody else. To say so is just to acknowledge that some domestication has occurred since Costello's own salad days of spitting tuneful accusations and spazzing around, and there's no denying the vague correlation between having married Diana Krall at Elton John's castle and needing to get "Watching the Detectives" out of the way early on.

Fears of merely prolix, out-to-pasture punk were duly allayed. The man can put on a show -- or in this case a Spectacular Spinning Songbook tour, with fans invited onstage to derive the evening's set list from a big bright roulette wheel full of songs and subjects. Taking up top hat and cane, he'd introduced himself as Napoleon Dynamite, and it felt all right to imagine that anyone inferring some random Jon Heder reference was present only on account of being brought by parents imposing a history lesson. True, this game-show-cabaret routine, reiterated from his own act of 25 years ago, might look like a way of outsourcing the entertainment labor. But in fact it gave the night a nice balance of spontaneity and directional momentum -- palpably enjoyed by the maestro and impressively managed by a shrewdly people-wrangling pair of go-go dancers.

His Imposters -- Davey Faragher on bass; Steve Nieve, keyboards; Pete Thomas, drums -- also were in good supportive form, accommodating an initially muddy mix and Costello's sometimes clotted guitar solos with sturdy aplomb. Together they plowed through a full array of fierce rockers, crooner ballads, and things in between ("Everyday I Write the Book," having dried out some of its pop sap, has aged especially well), not to mention that great, rhythmically augmented take on Chuck Berry's "No Particular Place to Go, plus a "Happy Birthday" by special request. With this material, this group would be ideal in a smaller and better sounding room -- but of course, deservedly, they draw a bigger room's crowd.

In a back catalog as big as Costello's, there always will be inessentials. Even the songs themselves sometimes leak filler, creating their own drag. More recent efforts like "Bedlam" and "Episode of Blonde," to take two examples from the Warfield set, require some rough sledding to lock in to their respective grooves; they don't seem to have come as easily as, say, his hooky New Wave staple, "(I Don't Want to Go To) Chelsea" -- to which, happily, he did want to go last night, and therefore adjusted the big wheel accordingly.

Well, making us wait for the good stuff is the showman's prerogative. As for steering the wheel himself, he asked, "If I can't cheat in San Francisco, where can I cheat?" Fine, although we bet he says that to all the cities. Relatedly, covering the Grateful Dead's "Ramble On Rose" and closing out with Costello's own "(What's So Funny 'Bout) Peace, Love, and Understanding" could in theory have seemed a tad ingratiating. But the arrangements were highly embraceable. (Yes, your reviewer knows better these days: It's not just the voice itself; it's the phrasing.) And in retrospect the latter, a cry of rage and despondency channeled by an eloquent weirdo nerd into something you can (and did) dance to, seems like rather an ideal expression of local sensibility after all.

Critic's Notebook:

Songs widely expected but not played: "Alison," "Pump It Up"

Honorary imposter: The woman who got on stage, possibly without being invited, and kept busy for many songs, step dancing, playing air guitar and strumming her own leg.

Best stage banter: Welcoming one audience-culled couple to the stage, Costello asked if they'd come to the show together. "And we're gonna leave together, too," the woman answered. The crowd liked that. "Depends on the song," Costello said. The crowd liked that too.

Second best banter: Costello to orchestra section, after having visited balcony section: "Up in that balcony they're all high as a kite."

http://blogs.sfweekly.com/shookdown/201 ... costel.php

MOOT
strangerinthehouse

Post by strangerinthehouse »

I'm really digging the set lists so far, they're all very different. He already seemed to have switched the opening numbers. Also, I can't believe he didn't play Alison - I'm glad he didn't and It's one I hope to miss, along with PLU, but it's a bit of a shocker.

The jackpots also seemed to be changing more frequently.
And you try so hard
to be like the big boys
@shellacandvinyl
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

I hit the JACKPOT, almost.

I went to this show last night and it was awesome. I only pissed off one concert goer, too. Not so bad for me!

I had the VIP set up and looked in the bag this morning to find 4 VIP packs! I had gotten someone else's bag. If I would have known at the time, I would have returned it.

So, I am giving one to a friend who actually was the last spinner of the night; the other, I owe to someone on this list. That leaves two VIP packs. The pack includes: guitar picks, a record (side 1: Poor Borrowed Dress, Big Boys Cry; side 2: I Don't Want to Go Home, Condemned Man - Produced by T-Bone Burnett), and VIP laminate (sort of lame, sorry no offense to the people that put it together, but who is going to wear one of those. Like, "Hi everybody, I'm VIP." - weak). I only had one poster in the pack, not four. So, whoever wants the pack, send me a private message. The first two responses, will get it.

As for the VIP poster, I thought I could possibly score a bit o' cash on eBay if I were to have all the guys sign it. My sister just told me I owe the state of CA a little of $1000 in taxes (WTF, CA!). Anyhow, I waited on the side street for the boys to come out. It took awhile. I almost left. Then, Elvis and Steve came out first. I walked up and told them I was looking to get everyone sig on the poster. Then Steve asked me, "Are you OK?"... Immediately, I thought he thought I was deranged and homeless. I must admit, my hair has been a bit wild lately. I had a hard time getting a brush through it yesterday (I gave up). It's like a wild bush or weed on top of my head. Anyhow, when Steve asked the question, I was like "what..." I didn't really put it together (other than the homeless thing)... Then, I finally realized I had a massive sunburn on my face from x-country skiing in Lake Tahoe that day... Yeah, it is a real hot (seriously hot, not the other hot)/attractive look - burnt red, raccoon eyes (from the sunglasses). I am an idiot... and with a bit of booze on my breath, Steve may have really thought I was homeless!

Anyhow, so, both Elvis and Steve sign the poster as I exclaim, "this sucker is eBay bound..." (sounding homeless, again). There was an issue with a Sharpie.. Elvis came to the rescue with his.

Next task was to track down Davey and Pete. They came out a little after Steve and E.C. I was asking for their sigs, but they didn't have a Sharpie... weak... I went back to see if I could get E.C's Sharpie again, (back to the homeless and deranged look again), but I was out of luck.. Pete and Davey disappeared onto the bus and my eBay $$ was shattered. DAMN. So much for offsetting some of tax damage. Do you think I couldn't have gotten some decent coin for it?

I have a few good pics.. I wanted one of Steve playing the theremin, but it was hard to get a close up w/ my iPhone camera.

Best tunes of the night: Human Hands (he played this, I'm sure of it), Strict Time, Little Triggers, Ramble on Rose. Everything else.

Good times!
MOJO
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

MOJO wrote:...Human Hands (he played this, I'm sure of it)...
I concur.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

Dr. Luther wrote:
MOJO wrote:...Human Hands (he played this, I'm sure of it)...
I concur.
It's not on the official setlist!?

If only we had a west coast taper....
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

MOJO wrote:I hit the JACKPOT, almost.

I went to this show last night and it was awesome. I only pissed off one concert goer, too. Not so bad for me!

I had the VIP set up and looked in the bag this morning to find 4 VIP packs! I had gotten someone else's bag. If I would have known at the time, I would have returned it.

So, I am giving one to a friend who actually was the last spinner of the night; the other, I owe to someone on this list. That leaves two VIP packs. The pack includes: guitar picks, a record (side 1: Poor Borrowed Dress, Big Boys Cry; side 2: I Don't Want to Go Home, Condemned Man - Produced by T-Bone Burnett), and VIP laminate (sort of lame, sorry no offense to the people that put it together, but who is going to wear one of those. Like, "Hi everybody, I'm VIP." - weak). I only had one poster in the pack, not four. So, whoever wants the pack, send me a private message. The first two responses, will get it.

As for the VIP poster, I thought I could possibly score a bit o' cash on eBay if I were to have all the guys sign it. My sister just told me I owe the state of CA a little of $1000 in taxes (WTF, CA!). Anyhow, I waited on the side street for the boys to come out. It took awhile. I almost left. Then, Elvis and Steve came out first. I walked up and told them I was looking to get everyone sig on the poster. Then Steve asked me, "Are you OK?"... Immediately, I thought he thought I was deranged and homeless. I must admit, my hair has been a bit wild lately. I had a hard time getting a brush through it yesterday (I gave up). It's like a wild bush or weed on top of my head. Anyhow, when Steve asked the question, I was like "what..." I didn't really put it together (other than the homeless thing)... Then, I finally realized I had a massive sunburn on my face from x-country skiing in Lake Tahoe that day... Yeah, it is a real hot (seriously hot, not the other hot)/attractive look - burnt red, raccoon eyes (from the sunglasses). I am an idiot... and with a bit of booze on my breath, Steve may have really thought I was homeless!

Anyhow, so, both Elvis and Steve sign the poster as I exclaim, "this sucker is eBay bound..." (sounding homeless, again). There was an issue with a Sharpie.. Elvis came to the rescue with his.

Next task was to track down Davey and Pete. They came out a little after Steve and E.C. I was asking for their sigs, but they didn't have a Sharpie... weak... I went back to see if I could get E.C's Sharpie again, (back to the homeless and deranged look again), but I was out of luck.. Pete and Davey disappeared onto the bus and my eBay $$ was shattered. DAMN. So much for offsetting some of tax damage. Do you think I couldn't have gotten some decent coin for it?

I have a few good pics.. I wanted one of Steve playing the theremin, but it was hard to get a close up w/ my iPhone camera.

Best tunes of the night: Human Hands (he played this, I'm sure of it), Strict Time, Little Triggers, Ramble on Rose. Everything else.

Good times!
MOJO
Great story. It would make a great short film. I go see it.
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

docinwestchester wrote:If only we had a west coast taper....
:oops:
Dr. Luther

Post by Dr. Luther »

Also:

Chelsea wasn't "impromptu", per se.
It was a rigged Napoleon spin.
MOJO

Post by MOJO »

docinwestchester wrote:
MOJO wrote:I hit the JACKPOT, almost.

Good times!
MOJO
Great story. It would make a great short film. I go see it.
Really? It's the homeless AND deranged angle that would draw interest aside from E.C. and the Imposters. To add more color to this, there were loads of homeless people walking the block while I waited. The theatre is located near the shady section of SF. I had all the homeless people gravitating toward me... like I'm part of the club or something. It happens all the time. My heart goes out to these people. I say a prayer - one for me that I never end up like that, and one for the homeless person that they get out of the situation, get assistance or something.

As for the VIP mix-up... man, they really messed it up. I noticed that the bag is for a guy in L.A. for the Wiltern show. I sent a note over to artist arena about it. Just as a heads up. Maybe I should return the stuff. That guy dropped some $$$$ - 4 VIP packs!
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.