What live versions of songs do you prefer to the studio ?

Pretty self-explanatory
when i was cruel

What live versions of songs do you prefer to the studio ?

Post by when i was cruel »

I love New Lace Sleeves in studio but nothing beats the live ones, namely from This Is Tomorrow since it's the clearest quality. I love the extra bit that Elvis does live on Josephine. Not only that but I am die hard for all the live versions of Alison when they are mixed in with Tracks Of My Tears and Suspicious Minds.
It's not the days when you leave me, but all I fear are the nights.
Emotional Toothpaste

Re: What live versions of songs do you prefer to the studio

Post by Emotional Toothpaste »

I sure enjoyed a several oldies that were made fresh again on the Spinning Songbook tour:
Green Shirt
Beyond Belief
even Veronica

hell, they're all better LIVE after you've heard them several dozen times on the studio version, except I AM sick of Pump It Up, live or studio, as said in a previous thread, it should be retired, and PLU as well, except for Nick, he at least came full circle with it and its fresh again.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

I'm not at all well-versed in EC live stuff, but I think early Attractions performances of "Waiting For the End of the World" totally smoke the album version.
KD's music blog
KD's book
Miclewis

Post by Miclewis »

I always thought "Shabby Doll" was much stronger live. The fantastic version with Fiona Apple being a great example.
Lester Burnham

Post by Lester Burnham »

Miclewis wrote:I always thought "Shabby Doll" was much stronger live. The fantastic version with Fiona Apple being a great example.
Agreed with this – the '83 Rockpalast show is especially blazing, with Bruce Thomas putting his already astounding studio version histrionics to shame.
redsfan720

Post by redsfan720 »

Thirded on Shabby Doll.

I enjoy Mystery Dance as heard on MAIT, but every clip I've heard of it live (and the once I've seen that song live in person) are exponentially better. It's just a good, lively live-setting song. And Steve Naive keyboard solo > (John McFee?) guitar solo.
docinwestchester

Post by docinwestchester »

redsfan720 wrote:
I enjoy Mystery Dance as heard on MAIT, but every clip I've heard of it live (and the once I've seen that song live in person) are exponentially better. It's just a good, lively live-setting song. And Steve Naive keyboard solo > (John McFee?) guitar solo.
Excellent example.

The ending of the live version is one of my favorite moments in any show. Here, as a bonus, he adds an interesting lyrical snippet:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L94TWKK_upQ#t=2m56s
Man out of Time

Post by Man out of Time »

The song where I think the contrast is greatest is "Couldn't Call It Unexpected # 4"

Elvis learnt from Tony Bennett the trick of singing this off-mike, and that tends to make this a bit different. There is a good example here:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQccA9guwoE although of course the act of capturing this for broadcast, means that this is "on-mike" rather than having an unamplified quality.

I can do without the singalong bit at the end, but otherwise for me, this totally surpasses what was a rather ordinary track on MLAR which did not enjoy the best arrangement either.

I am also partial to the Brodsky Quartet arrangement of "Rocking Horse Road",

MOOT
krm

Post by krm »

Lipstick Vogue and Chelsea. Good example here from pinkpop http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dip-FtbsD8E
Chealsea from the rockpalast from 1978 nail it down even better! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RMvI5OX6nUw
scamp

Post by scamp »

To many but some of my favorites not already mentioned are:

I Want You - Tim Festival (very angry, passionate and not overworked) Also quiet version from Berlin 1999
Inch by Inch - Berlin 1999
I Want To Be Loved - 1984 Columbia (streaming at WV) 2005 Clearwater, FL
Little Triggers - 1978
Kid About It - Letterman
Blue Chair - BBC
Hope Your Happy Now
Stations Of the Cross
My Mood Swings
Condemned Man
So Like Candy
I'm Your Toy - East Hampton, 1996
The Beat - Rockpalast 1978
Man Out Of Time - probably any live version
docinwestchester

Accidents Will Happen

Hollywood High is still my favorite version:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=92QJw-AV9rg

(I still have the EP)
sulky lad

Post by sulky lad »

As Doc says "Accidents " from Hollywood High 1978
Awesome version, and the first time I realised just how accomplished a vocalist EC was (and is). Also the amazing Detectives from the same EP with Bruce's sublime bass solo and Pete's metronomic and hypnotic drumming in the background - just sublime.
Any other live recording that doesn't have VG or John Foyle singing along !! :lol:
TX_Fan

Post by TX_Fan »

Off the top of my head:

Couldn't Call it Unexpected #4
It's Time
Just About Glad
Veronica
Green Shirt
Riot Act
docinwestchester

sulky lad wrote:As Doc says "Accidents " from Hollywood High 1978
Awesome version, and the first time I realised just how accomplished a vocalist EC was (and is).
Exactly. A total revelation. Not just the "angry Elvis", this guy can sing!

It also highlighted the brilliance of Steve Nieve as an accompanist, something that cannot be overstated.
Kevin Davis

Post by Kevin Davis »

redsfan720 wrote:Thirded on Shabby Doll.

Most of the songs on My Aim is True seem to fit this description to some extent. The Attractions were just a better fit for Elvis than Clover.

Though I do really enjoy the guitar leads on the studio version of "Alison."
KD's music blog
KD's book
the_platypus

Post by the_platypus »

While Steve is fantastic on the Hollywood High version of AWH, I disagree about EC's singing; I feel like it really captures a lot of what was annoying about his performances back then. Super-nasal, strained and with a strangled vibrato that can't hold up through the entire song and sometimes lands him off-key at the end of certain lines. It's not unbearable or anything, but it doesn't make me want to listen to the song again and again like, say, the Sessions at West 54th version does. Basically, the complaints a lot of people seem to have about his singing on "Sparkling Day", I have about this particular performance.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

Brilliant Mistake with the Sugarcanes. That Stuart Duncan fiddle line and Jim's harmonies in the chorus... It's like he wrote the song for that band and it just took a while to get to them.

Black and White World with the Roots.

PLU when he hosted Letterman. Best advertisement for the Imposters you could ask for.
docinwestchester

National Ransom

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKYDsxT6zAk
(w/Sugarcanes)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ANPVikPEF-E
(w/Imposters)

The studio version may be the worst sounding EC song ever (IMHO, of course).
History History

Post by History History »

I'm Your Toy (12" Live recording) has always knocked me out.
jmm

Post by jmm »

Girls Talk - version from Oct 28, 2002 at NJPAC to be exact

Although I really like it when they include it in any show
I too am a limited, primitive kind of man
bronxapostle

Post by bronxapostle »

what about the ALIBI from that night, jmm?? forget about it! THE WHOLE SHOW WAS A PERFECT TEN! wish he'd play there again
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I always liked the Costello/Nieve duo version of '45' much better than the rocking album version. The live version had a light, nostalgic yet triumphant feel which was really moving.
Natasha

Post by Natasha »

Like I already said in another thread, I love Everyday I Write the Book from Tim Festival. I kinda learnt to love this song from this performance. And also from Tim Festival, Uncomplicated is my favorite. http://youtu.be/_eWJDo5PPaI Like someone mentioned, I Want You from this show is killer too. This whole concert is killer, actually.

I also prefer a version of Stranger in the House from Live at the Hollywood High.

I like The Delivery Man from that DVD Live in Memphis only because the instrumental part is longer but I love the studio version too (I love this song, as some of you already know :p)

Baby Plays Around is way much better in acoustic version. I think the studio version has a bit of exageration in his voice and other elements that speak against the loneliness in the lyrics.

Gotta look for many of the versions you guys mentioned here. I keep on looking for a good live version of Beyond Belief.
Man out of Time wrote:The song where I think the contrast is greatest is "Couldn't Call It Unexpected # 4"

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQccA9guwoE although of course the act of capturing this for broadcast, means that this is "on-mike" rather than having an unamplified quality.
I LOVE this. And I had this same thought about the microphone thing but it doesn't matter. It's just beautiful. And I like "the choir of angels" part. :)
“Between tenderness and brute force.”

Last FM
noiseradio

Post by noiseradio »

Pretty much every song from MAIT that is on Live at the El Macambo. I greatly prefer the Attractions on those tracks.
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, than are dreamt of in your philosophy."
--William Shakespeare
stricttime81

Post by stricttime81 »

[quote="Man out of Time"]The song where I think the contrast is greatest is "Couldn't Call It Unexpected # 4"

This. The live Elvis/Keyboard version on the MLAR bonus disk is gorgeous.
AKA: Mike the Lawyer