Elvis 'n Burt Bacharach writing Austin Powers musical?

Pretty self-explanatory
johnfoyle

Elvis 'n Burt Bacharach writing Austin Powers musical?

Post by johnfoyle »

http://www.aceshowbiz.com/news/view/00046090.html

Mike Myers to Adapt 'Austin Powers' to Broadway Stage

December 13, 2011

The actor who plays the titular character in the action-comedy film is set to write the script for the play which will serve as a prequel to the first three 'Austin Powers' movies.

"Austin Powers" is set to hit the Broadway stage. New York Post's Page Six reported that the film franchise's lead actor, Mike Myers, is in talks to adapt the action-comedy film into a musical play. He is expected to pen the script, which reportedly will serve as a prequel to the James Bond parody movie series.

"Mike is in talks to turn 'Austin Powers' into a musical stage show," said a source close to the 48-year-old actor. "Mike would be heavily involved in writing the show, but he will not star in it, even though he has quite a good singing voice."

The Hollywood Reporter additionally reported that the musical will be set in 1960s London. It will focus on how Powers first acquired his mighty mojo. Casey Nicholaw has been tapped to direct the play, which will be set to the songs of Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello.

Myers has also signed up to star in "Austin Powers 4". In addition to reprising his titular role in the upcoming movie, the Canadian actor has sealed a deal with New Line Cinema to serve as the screenwriter and the producer. However, the exact filming date for the fourth "Austin Powers" film has not been determined yet.

The first "Austin Powers" movie, "International Man of Mystery", was released in 1997, followed by 1999's "The Spy Who Shagged Me" and 2002's "Goldmember". The three films have grossed $676 million from worldwide ticket sales.

© AceShowbiz.com
docinwestchester

Re: Elvis 'n Burt Bacharach writing Austin Powers musical?

Post by docinwestchester »

Sounds like fun. And lucrative if it's a hit.

BTW, what ever happened to the Keith Moon biopic that Myers was supposed to star in?
jardine

Post by jardine »

wonder if this might involve new collaborations? That would be wonderful, i think/hope. still find PFM one of e.c.'s best and always b.b.--dusty's inthelandofmakebelieve! oh!!

d
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

This report appears to indicate that new E.C./B.B. songs are involved.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/offbeat/story/20 ... sical.html

Canadian-born actor Mike Myers is writing the script for an Austin Powers musical, which is set to have songs created by Burt Bacharach and Elvis Costello.

Myers, 48, played “international man of mystery” Austin Powers in three spy spoof films, but is not expected to star in the musical, according to the Hollywood Reporter.

Instead, he is penning a prequel to the film story set in 1960s London and detailing how Powers first acquired his mighty mojo.

The talent lining up for the proposed stage production about the buck-toothed spy also includes Casey Nicholaw, who is reported in talks to direct. Nicholaw helmed The Drowsy Chaperone, choreographed Spamalot and was co-director of Broadway hit The Book of Mormon.

Warner Bros. Theatre Ventures, former HBO Films president Colin Callender, and partner Sonia Friedman are producing the musical.
Jeremy Dylan

Post by Jeremy Dylan »

docinwestchester wrote:Sounds like fun. And lucrative if it's a hit.

BTW, what ever happened to the Keith Moon biopic that Myers was supposed to star in?
It keeps getting delayed - they've yet to settle on a version of the screenplay that Roger Daltrey is comfortable with. Myers would be too old for the part now though.
docinwestchester

Jeremy Dylan wrote:
docinwestchester wrote:Sounds like fun. And lucrative if it's a hit.

It keeps getting delayed - they've yet to settle on a version of the screenplay that Roger Daltrey is comfortable with. Myers would be too old for the part now though.
Too bad. I thought it was perfect casting.
Neil.

Post by Neil. »

I wish Elvis well with this, but how on earth is he going to fit in writing the songs when he's doing all this touring?
Songs in musicals need a lot of attention - does he have the time to devote to them?
Mikeh

Post by Mikeh »

This may take some time to write as I remember EC saying that he and BB argued long and hard over the space between "So" and "this house" when writing This House is Empty Now.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

I'm fuzzy on the details, but wasn't it reported several years ago that EC & Burt were collaborating on new songs for... um, some female artist whose name I've forgotten. John Foyle, do you still have the link? In any case, it doesn't seem like that project came to fruition, so maybe the songs are being repurposed for this musical?
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The Gentleman wrote:I'm fuzzy on the details, but wasn't it reported several years ago that EC & Burt were collaborating on new songs for... um, some female artist whose name I've forgotten. John Foyle, do you still have the link? In any case, it doesn't seem like that project came to fruition, so maybe the songs are being repurposed for this musical?
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=6908
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
The Gentleman

Post by The Gentleman »

sweetest punch wrote:
The Gentleman wrote:I'm fuzzy on the details, but wasn't it reported several years ago that EC & Burt were collaborating on new songs for... um, some female artist whose name I've forgotten. John Foyle, do you still have the link? In any case, it doesn't seem like that project came to fruition, so maybe the songs are being repurposed for this musical?
http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=6908
Um, yeah. The "female artist whose name I've forgotten" seems to be Diana Krall.
And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

The Gentleman wrote:Um, yeah. The "female artist whose name I've forgotten" seems to be Diana Krall.
As long as Elvis doesn't find out, you should be okay.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

The linernotes from the new album "In Motion Pictures" seem to indicate that Elvis and Burt are working together at this very moment:

"God Give Me Strength began an inspired period of songwriting with Burt Bacharach eventually yielding the twelve songs contained on the 1998 album Painted From Memory. It is a collaboration that continues to this day."

Could Elvis be referring to this Austin Powers musical or to songs written for a future Diana Krall album ( http://www.elviscostellofans.com/phpBB3 ... f=2&t=6908 )?
Since you put me down, it seems i've been very gloomy. You may laugh but pretty girls look right through me.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.dm.com.br/texto/99034-burt-b ... obiografia

Burt Bacharach lança autobiografia

Burt Bacharach completa 85 anos no dia 12 de maio, mas não pensa em se aposentar. Ao contrário. O maestro e compositor norte-americano, autor de grandes sucessos como Alfie e The Look of Love, está em plena atividade. Volta ao Brasil em abril para duas apresentações - a primeira no Rio, dia 18, e a segunda, dia 20, no HSBC Brasil, em São Paulo. Bacharach voltou também ao mundo dos musicais (o mais antigo, Promises, Promises, de 1968, era uma adaptação teatral do filme Se Meu Apartamento Falasse, de Billy Wilder, remontado na Broadway há três anos). Depois da estreia de Some Lovers há dois anos, em San Diego, Califórnia, ele prepara um novo musical com Elvis Costello baseado na série de cinema Austin Powers, e, em maio, lança nos EUA a autobiografia Anyone Who Had a Heart, contada pelo maestro ao jornalista Robert Greenfield, biógrafo de Timothy Leary.

Bacharach, animado, anuncia todas essas novidades por telefone. Está feliz por ter encontrado Elvis Costello, o marido da cantora canadense Diana Krall, que, desde 1995, tem sido seu parceiro musical mais constante, quando os dois escreveram juntos a canção God Give Me Strengh, tema do filme Grace of My Heart, que levou a dupla a gravar um CD inteiro, Painted from Memory (1998). Costello, fã antigo de Bacharach, foi, de algum modo, o responsável pelo revival do maestro, que, depois desse encontro, gravou o experimental At This Time (2005) ao lado do rapper e produtor Dr. Dre e do cantor Rufus Wainright e - inimaginável - com um repertório que incluía canções engajadas de um compositor essencialmente associado a canções de amor, assinadas por ele e o letrista Hal David, morto em setembro passado, aos 91 anos.

Pela primeira vez, no disco At This Time, arriscou assinar as letras das próprias composições em parceria com o veterano Tonio K. (cujas canções já foram gravadas por Al Green). O disco ganhou o Grammy de 2005 (melhor pop instrumental) e, desde então, Bacharach só faz colecionar prêmios. 'Fiquei bastante emocionado ao receber o prêmio Gershwin das mãos de Barack Obama, em maio do ano passado, na Casa Branca', diz o compositor, lembrando o apoio político que concedeu ao presidente em sua campanha pela reeleição. O democrata Bacharach, que se arrepende de não ter sido mais engajado no passado - ele escrevia canções leves em plena guerra do Vietnã -, busca recuperar o tempo perdido apostando em trabalhos mais densos, embora não despreze a grande obra musical popular construída com o parceiro Hal David, gravada por todo mundo que importa no mundo pop e do jazz, dos Beatles a Nina Simone.

'Veja, há dois anos estreamos o musical Some Lovers, que conta a história de um casal em dois difíceis momentos da vida, explorando o paralelo com o casal de O Presente dos Magos, de O. Henry', conta Bacharach. Ele destaca o libreto do parceiro Steven Sater (premiado com o Tony pelo musical O Despertar da Primavera, já montado no Brasil) e comenta: '(Hal) David se foi, mas fui presenteado com novos parceiros como Elvis (Costello), Tonio (K.) e Steven (Sater)'.

Sobre a parceria com Hal David e a briga que separou a dupla por dez anos, limitando a comunicação a conversas por meio dos respectivos advogados, Bacharach garante que conta toda a história na autobiografia, cujo conteúdo, adianta ele, vai muito além dos momentos de glória. 'Falo de meus quatro casamentos e também de minha filha Nikki, que cometeu suicídio há seis anos.' Nikki Bacharach tinha 40 anos e sofria da síndrome de Asperger. Nascida prematura do casamento do maestro com a atriz Angie Dickinson, Nikki morreu sufocada com um saco plástico.

-------------------------

Google translation:

Burt Bacharach launches autobiography

Burt Bacharach complete 85 years on May 12, but do not think of retiring. Unlike. Maestro and American composer, author of such hits as Alfie and The Look of Love, is in full swing. Back to Brazil in April for two performances - the first in Rio, the 18th, and the second, the 20th, at HSBC Brazil in Sao Paulo. Bacharach also returned to the world of musicals (the oldest, Promises, Promises, 1968, was a theatrical adaptation of the movie The Apartment, Billy Wilder, remounted on Broadway three years ago). After the debut of Some Lovers two years ago in San Diego, California, he prepares a new musical with Elvis Costello movie based on the series of Austin Powers, and in May, the U.S. launches autobiography Anyone Who Had a Heart, told by conductor to journalist Robert Greenfield, Timothy Leary biographer.

Bacharach, excited, announces all these news by phone. You are happy to have found Elvis Costello, her husband of Canadian singer Diana Krall, who since 1995 has been his most constant musical partner, when the two wrote together the song God Give Me Strengh, subject of the film Grace of My Heart, which led the pair to record an entire CD, Painted from Memory (1998). Costello, former fan of Bacharach, was somehow responsible for the revival of the conductor, who, after this encounter, recorded experimental At This Time (2005) alongside the rapper and producer Dr. Dre and singer Rufus Wainright and - unimaginable - with a repertoire that included songs by a composer engaged primarily associated with love songs, signed by him and lyricist Hal David, who died last September at age 91.

For the first time, the disk At This Time, risked signing the letters of his own compositions in partnership with veteran Tonio K. (Whose songs have been recorded by Al Green). The album won a Grammy in 2005 (best pop instrumental), and since then, only makes Bacharach collecting awards. 'I was quite thrilled to receive the Gershwin Prize from the hands of Barack Obama in May of last year, the White House, "says the composer, recalling the political support that gave the President in his campaign for reelection. Democrat Bacharach, who regrets not being more engaged in the past - he wrote songs in full light the Vietnam War - Search for lost time betting works denser, though not despise the great work popular musical built with partner Hal David, engraved by everyone that matters in the world of pop and jazz, the Beatles Nina Simone.

'See, two years ago debuted the musical Some Lovers, which tells the story of a couple in two difficult moments of life, exploring the parallels with the couple of The Gift of the Magi, O. Henry 'says Bacharach. It highlights the libretto partner Steven Sater (Tony Award-winning musical by Spring Awakening, already assembled in Brazil) and comments: '(Hal) David is gone, but I was presented with new partners like Elvis (Costello), Tonio ( K.) and Steven (Sater) '.

About the partnership with Hal David and fight that separated the pair for ten years, limiting communication to talk through their lawyers, Bacharach ensures that tells the whole story in his autobiography, whose content it said it goes far beyond the moments of glory . 'I speak of my four marriages and also my daughter Nikki, who committed suicide six years ago.' Nikki Bacharach was 40 years old and suffered from Asperger syndrome. Born premature wedding conductor with actress Angie Dickinson, Nikki died suffocated with a plastic bag.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://diariodonordeste.globo.com/mater ... go=1239975

O homem por trás de hits como "Raindrops keep fallin´ on my head" prepara autobiografia e novo musical

Aos 84 anos, prestes a lançar, enfim, sua autobiografia, "Anyone who had a heart", Burt Bacharach faz uma revelação inusitada. O supremo maestro da música pop e autor de hits inesquecíveis como "Raindrops keep fallin´ on my head", "Do you know the way to San Jose" e "I say a little prayer" - que certamente não vão faltar na sua passagem pelo País, no mês que vem - confessa que está em falta com um grupo de publicitários e seu mundo de ficção.

"Não sei dizer se criei realmente um estilo", reflete o compositor

"Não vejo ´Mad Men´ há duas temporadas. Simplesmente não consegui assisti-las por falta de tempo", diz ele por telefone, a voz rouca ecoando de Los Angeles, onde mora. "Adoro a serie, que é bem escrita e extremamente elegante em sua essência. Gosto também do fato de ela se passar entre os anos 1950 e 1960, uma época que me traz boas lembranças".

Foi nesse período que Bacharach esteve no Brasil pela primeira vez, acompanhando a mitológica Marlene Dietrich, em 1959. De lá para cá, enquanto o mundo se transformava continuamente, ele esteve por aqui outras vezes, a mais recente em 2008, sempre como referência de um estilo orquestral, de arranjos elegantes, com tons cinematográficos, que antecedeu ao rock e se manteve imune a ele e a outros estilos que surgiram depois.

"Não sei dizer se criei realmente um estilo", reflete, modesto, o homem cuja trajetória se confunde com o título de um dos seus discos mais conhecidos, "Hitmaker", de 1965. "Mas tenho minhas pequenas joias, que exibo em público com muito prazer. É o que vou fazer em mais essa ida ao Brasil, um país cuja música admiro profundamente. Vou tocar o que as pessoas querem ouvir, sempre na esperança de trazer um toque novo a cada apresentação".

Um dos mais belos hits de Bacharach, "What the world needs now is love", foi usado numa cena em que o maestro aparecia ao lado de Mike Myers no primeiro filme da série "Austin Powers", de 1997, ajudando a firmar sua imagem e sua música em gerações mais novas. Bacharach curtiu.

"Aquilo foi bem divertido. Passamos a noite subindo e descendo uma das principais avenidas de Las Vegas, em cima de um caminhão onde eu cantava e tocava piano", lembra ele. "O melhor foi que ninguém esperava que o filme se tornasse tão cultuado. E, claro, ele me apresentou a um novo público, ainda que brevemente".

Dificuldades

Mas, como ele mesmo admite, nem tudo foram flores em sua trajetória, que inclui oito Grammys e três Oscars, e também momentos difíceis, como o suicídio de Nikki Bacharach, sua filha com a atriz Angie Dickinson, em 2007. No livro, que deve chegar às lojas no segundo semestre, Bacharach garante que vai fazer um balanço de sua vida, sem exageros, mas sem omissões. "Não há nada espetacular sobre a minha vida, mas vivi muitas coisas, alegres e tristes, dentro e fora do show business. Acredito que existe uma boa história para ser contada. Desenvolvi o texto como se fosse uma música, com subidas e descidas. Espero que pelo menos meus filhos gostem". Ainda com fôlego para correr riscos, Bacharach prepara um musical para a Broadway, ao lado de Elvis Costello, uma parceria iniciada em 1998 com o disco "Painted from memory". Será a segunda incursão do maestro na Broadway, sendo a primeira o musical "Promises promises", de 1968, baseado no filme "Se meu apartamento falasse". "Fiz outras participações, mas vai ser minha segunda investida na Broadway como compositor principal.

Mas tudo ali acontece de forma muito lenta, quase dolorosa. Não sei exatamente o status atual da produção, mas estamos compondo novas músicas e tentando fazer com que se encaixem no roteiro imaginado. O espetáculo só fica pronto ano que vem. Mas já estou com frio na barriga, e isso é muito animador".

-----------------------
Google translation:

The man behind hits like "Raindrops keep fallin 'on my head" and prepare new musical and autobiography

At 84 years old, about to launch, finally, his autobiography, "Anyone who had a heart", Burt Bacharach makes an unexpected revelation. The supreme pop maestro and author of unforgettable hits as "Raindrops keep fallin 'on my head", "Do you know the way to San Jose" and "I say a little prayer" - it certainly will not be lacking in its passage through Country, next month - admits that is missing with a group of advertisers and their world of fiction.

"I can not really say if I created a style" reflects the composer

"I do not see 'Mad Men' two seasons ago. Simply could not watch them for lack of time," he says by phone, his voice hoarse echoing Los Angeles, where he lives. "I love the series, which is well written and extremely elegant in its essence. I also like the fact that she is spending between 1950 and 1960, a time that brings me good memories."

It was during this period that Bacharach was in Brazil for the first time, following the mythological Marlene Dietrich in 1959. Since then, while the world turned continually, he's been here other times, most recently in 2008, when as a reference style orchestral arrangements of elegant, cinematic tones that preceded the rock and remained immune to he and other styles that emerged later.

"I can not really say if I created a style," reflects modest man whose history is intertwined with the title of one of his best-known albums, "Hitmaker", 1965. "But I have my small gems, which I display in public with much pleasure.'s What I'll do more on this trip to Brazil, a country whose music I admire deeply.'ll Play what people want to hear, always hoping to bring a touch new every presentation. "

One of the most beautiful of Bacharach hits, "What the world needs now is love," was used in a scene in which maestro appeared alongside Mike Myers in the first film of the series "Austin Powers" of 1997, helping to establish his image and his music in younger generations. Bacharach likes.

"That was really fun. Spent the night walking up and down one of the main boulevards of Las Vegas, on top of a truck where I sang and played piano," he recalls. "The best part was that no one expected the film to become so revered. And of course, he introduced me to a new audience, albeit briefly."

Difficulties

But, as he admits, not all smooth sailing in his career, which includes eight Grammys and three Oscars, and also difficult times, such as the suicide of Nikki Bacharach, daughter with actress Angie Dickinson in 2007. In the book, which should hit stores in the second half, Bacharach says he's going to take stock of his life, without exaggeration, without omissions. "There is nothing spectacular about my life, but lived many things, happy and sad, in and out of show business. Believe there is a good story to be told. Developed the text as if it were a song, with ups and downs. I hope you at least like my children. " Even with breath to take risks, Bacharach prepares a musical for Broadway, along with Elvis Costello, a partnership that began in 1998 with the album "Painted from Memory". It will be the second foray of conductor on Broadway, the first being the musical "Promises Promises", 1968, based on the movie "The Apartment." "I had other interests, but it will be my second foray into Broadway as main composer.

But there everything happens very slowly, almost painfully. Do not exactly know the current status of production, but we're writing new songs and trying to make it fit the script imagined. The show only gets ready next year. But I already have butterflies in my stomach, and that's very encouraging. "
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Someone on the Bacharach forum has already read Burt's book Anyone Who Had A Heart and spoken about it with Burt and confirms that Elvis and Burt are working on two new musicals: The "Painted From Memory" musical and the "Austin Powers Musical". ( http://www.bacharachonline.com/phpBB3/v ... 88451ab78d ).

"Burt writes in his book that he and Elvis will be composing new songs for the PAINTED FROM MEMORY musical, and also confirms that they are collaborating with Mike Myers on an all-new, original score for Myers' proposed AUSTIN POWERS musical. (Myers will write lyrics.) That Burt is committing so much energy towards musical theatre - and is committed to writing so much new music - is only for the good. I had the opportunity to briefly speak with him earlier this week, and he seemed energized by these projects and by the ongoing development of SOME LOVERS. As far as PFM and AUSTIN POWERS, I can't imagine being disappointed by new Bacharach/Costello songs - on record or onstage. Whether Lorre will be able to weave the new and old songs into a viable narrative remains to be seen. But I'd put my money on that horse, and I sincerely hope it comes to fruition. (Steven Sater is collaborating with Lorre on the book.)"
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

Amazon.co.uk has a preview of "Anyone Who Had A Heart" (The book by Burt) and you can read parts of the book here: http://www.amazon.co.uk/Anyone-Who-Had- ... 006220727X
Burt tells about the Austin Powers musical and the Painted From Memory musical on pages 376 till 379.
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

In this interview from a few weeks back, Burt confirms that he and Elvis are still working on the Austin Powers musical: http://coloradosprings.com/playing-colo ... Yu9hOJj.99

(...)
Gazette: And today?

Bacharach: Right now things feeling very very good. There's a musical opening up Thursday (Dec. 5) on Off Broadway. It's called "What's It All About" and has 35 of my songs with this young troupe of actors singers. I'm going in for the opening. That's kind of a Valentine for me. I'm excited. We got a musical working on with Elvis Costello, "Painted From Memory," which is dear to many people's hearts. It (came out) about 20 years ago. That's going to be a staged musical. Chuck Lorre, he's the creator of "Big Bang Theory," "Two and a Half Men," and "Mike & Molly" (where he was executive producer). He'd always wanted to make this a musical. So Elvis and I are writing some more songs. Also with Elvis and Mike Myers, we're working an "Austin Powers" musical on Broadway.

I think this is my direction now. There is no record business now. No albums, only singles or downloads. Which is a travesty. There are a lot of people not getting paid what they should get paid. Artists, writers, publishers. Hopefully it will get straightened out. I don't know how.

In the meantime, where Elvis and I go creatively is not will this song work on the radio? Will it be hit? It's, will it work in this musical? As long as it works and it's good.
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

First sighting of Elvis in 2014. He and Mike Myers at a show . Maybe they are working on the Austin Powers musical?

http://instagram.com/p/jhRyKeDfqv/

They seem to have been at this show - http://www.nytw.org/whatsitallabout.asp
johnfoyle

Post by johnfoyle »

sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://snovalleystar.com/2014/01/23/leg ... -to-casino

Legendary singer-songwriter Burt Bacharach coming to casino

Burt Bacharach songs keep falling on our ears – often sung by legendary names such as Frank Sinatra, Dionne Warwick, Elvis Costello, Sheryl Crow, REM, Wynonna Judd and Mike Meyers.
His movie scores have been unforgettable for decades. Think Austin Powers movies, classics such as “Butch Cassidy and The Sundance Kid” and “Forest Gump,” and children’s films such as “Stuart Little.”

But the 85-year-old composer does more than write a few million notes. Bacharach also sings and tells stories. You can catch his act at 7 p.m. Jan. 23 at the Snoqualmie Casino.
“I like bringing my music to people,” he said during a telephone interview from his home in Southern California. “I enjoy meeting people and sharing my songs with them.”
Wherever his shows take him – from the U.S. to Europe to Japan – Bacharach sees something in the audience that delights him: the appeal of his music to all generations.
“There will be a 17-year-old girl or boy sitting there with their mother or their grandmother and they all seem to be enjoying it,” he said. “The cross-generation thing is a beautiful, accidental occurrence.”
The market, he says, has changed since he began his career. It is now a youth-driven market which is why he particularly appreciates seeing the 17-year-olds in the audience. (No one under 21 will be admitted to the Jan. 23 show.)
In recent months, when he hasn’t had a concert on the road, Bacharach has been working with Elvis Costello and Mike Meyers, creating an Austin Powers musical they hope to stage on Broadway.
“Things move slowly in the theater world,” Bacharach said. “But I’ve written eight new songs – they’re best suited for stage, not for the radio. It’s a relief, not having to worry about songs being radio-friendly.”

Like many creative people, Bacharach will occasionally hear an old number and wonder why he wrote it a particular way. Or he will let something go when he isn’t quite satisfied.
“That happened with “A Little Prayer” (“I Say a Little Prayer for You”) that I wrote for Dionne (Warwick),” he said. “I was not as comfortable with it, it wasn’t as smooth as I wanted it, the tempo was too fast, but sometimes you have to let it stand.”
The song went on to be the number four record in the country back in the late 1960s.
“I was wrong,” Bacharach said. “Sometimes it is fine to be wrong.”
At an age when many people retire, Bacharach stays strong and work-ready with daily exercising – he jogs in the swimming pool. His autobiography was published in 2013. One of his hobbies is raising race horses.
Currently, he’s watching a lot of movies – he’s a member of the Academy of Motion Picture Arts and Sciences and votes for Oscar nominees. He won Oscars himself – two in 1969 and one in 1981, as well as eight Grammy Awards.
In 2012 Bacharach, along with his collaborator Hal David, received the Library of Congress Gershwin Prize for Popular Song. It was the first time the Gershwin was awarded to a songwriting team.
“Academy Awards are an unbelievable thrill, but the biggest thrill was the Gershwin,” he said. “An Academy Award is for one work, one song. When you get the Gershwin, you’re being honored for all your work, for everything you’ve done.”
docinwestchester

What's on Mike's scarf?

And No Coffee Table

Post by And No Coffee Table »

A long interview with Mike Myers has nothing at all about an Austin Powers musical, but it does include Myers coming up with a new twist on a common error regarding Elvis.
"You know, there's a great line by the great Northern English poet Elvis Costello, as sung by Nick Lowe: "What's so funny 'bout peace love and understanding?" [Myers seems both dubious and slightly irked when I tell him that it was the other way round—the song was written by Nick Lowe but made famous by Costello.] The point being that. What is so funny about peace, love, and understanding?"
(The Elvis bit is on page 3.)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://cinema.nouvelobs.com/articles/31 ... -le-cinema

(...)
En ce qui me concerne, je mets désormais mon énergie créatrice au service du musical. Je m’étais juré de ne plus jamais en composer après "Promises Promises", en 1968, mais c’est là que je me sens bien aujourd’hui. J’ai deux projets avec Elvis Costello, dont un adapté de notre album "Painted from Memory". Nous avons fini dix nouveaux titres et étions en studio la semaine dernière pour les mettre en place. Au moins, pour la scène, j’ai encore l’impression d’écrire de vraies chansons.

Où en est votre projet de comédie musicale inspirée d’"Austin Powers" ?
On a bien avancé sur l’écriture, seize morceaux sont prêts. Mais Mike (Myers, ndlr) a quelques problèmes avec le studio. New Line, qui possède les droits des films et est aujourd’hui une filiale de Warner, s’inquiète de ne pas retrouver certains personnages comme Mini-Me et Fat Bastard. Or Mike tient à contrôler le projet, il ne veut avoir personne sur le dos.
(...)

Google translation: http://translate.google.be/translate?sl ... -le-cinema

(...)
In my case, I now put my creative energy to the music. I swore never to compose after "Promises Promises" in 1968, but this is where I feel good today. I have two projects with Elvis Costello , one adapted from our album "Painted from Memory". We ended ten new titles and were in the studio last week to put in place. At least for the scene, I still feel to write real songs.

What is your musical project inspired by " Austin Powers "?
Progress was made on writing, sixteen pieces are ready. But Mike (Myers, ed) has some problems with the studio. New Line, which owns the film rights and is now a subsidiary of Warner, worries about not finding some characters like Mini-Me and Fat Bastard. Now Mike wants to control the project, he wants to have no one on the back.
(...)
sweetest punch

Post by sweetest punch »

http://www.theaustralian.com.au/arts/re ... 7041365024

Elvis Costello has two projects with Burt Bacharach in the pipeline

Readers may have spotted Elvis Costello lurking in the pages of Review last week, waxing lyrically, as it were, about the new music he and a handful of colleagues have welded to words Bob Dylan ditched 47 years ago.

This will emerge as Lost on the River: The New Basement Tapes Vol 1, in November. That’s not the only endeavour that has been keeping Costello busy of late, as he explained in some detail after he had finished talking about His Bobness. Aside from being on the road this year, including in Australia, the prolific songwriter has been reunited for weeks at a time with Burt Bacharach, the veteran American craftsman with whom Costello created the album Painted From Memory in 1998.

In the past year the two men have embarked on a couple of projects in tandem. The first is a new album, to be released next year, which Costello says is “based on turning the corner from the story we told on Painted from Memory”. The other is a tad more left-field. The Bacharach-Costello songwriting partnership is behind the music of a Broadway musical based on the Mike Myers spoof spy vehicle Austin Powers. The musical has been in the pipeline for three years but there is no word on when it is likely to go into production. Costello, however, is happy with the change of pace and how their contribution to it has progressed.

“It was great of Mike to invite us into the process,” Costello says. “It’s just a great licence to write all kinds of wild songs, from heartbreaking ballads to psychedelic rock ’n’ roll songs. The lyrics have to come out of the characters, so it’s a different kind of discipline. It’s not like making a record.” If nothing else it has given Costello another opportunity to work with one of the most lauded pop songwriters in history, who at 86 shows no sign of slowing down.

“He has the energy of a man many years his junior,” says Costello. “And he still has a phenomenal gift for melody. We wrote these songs for Painted from Memory that I’m really very fond of and that people seem to still hold with a lot of affection. So to write more of them and then have something totally in contrast like Austin Powers is fantastic. We’ve written about 30 songs since November.”